The Kansas City Chiefs and free agent cornerback Sean Smith have reached agreement on a three-year deal, David Canter, Smith’s agent, announced on Twitter.
According to multiple reports, the deal is worth $18 million over three seasons and contains $11 million in guaranteed money.
Smith is a big addition to a Chiefs defense that, despite ranking 20th in total defense, had four players make the Pro Bowl last season. The Chiefs are expected to utilize the 6-foot-3 Smith’s length by playing him in press man coverage. That size should come in handy against the defending AFC West champion Denver Broncos, who have a pair of 6-foot-3, 220-pound receivers in Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker that the Chiefs will have to contend with twice per season moving forward.
- Photo gallery: Alex Smith, Kansas City Chiefs quarterback - Kansas City Star
- DeMarcus Van Dyke To Remain With Kansas City Chiefs - Arrowhead Addict
- Kansas City Chiefs, Alex Smith agree to four-year, $68 million extension - Yahoo Sports (blog)
- Kansas City Chiefs 2014 practice squad announced, including Nico Johnson - Arrowhead Pride (blog)
- Report: Kansas City Chiefs Sign Alex Smith To $68 Million Extension - Arrowhead Addict
- Chiefs claim DE Square from Eagles - ESPN (blog)
- NFL roster cuts: 10 things to know about Kansas City Chiefs roster cuts - Arrowhead Pride (blog)