PDA

View Full Version : Tek's Take on Week One. Some Big Points that Should Be Mentioned.

Big Daddy Tek
09-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Well guys, I was in no position to type anything yesterday, definitly over indulged at the bar and we will just leave it at that. Anyway, there was a couple of points that I thought should be mentioned that nobody has.

First of all, I thought that the pass rush was pretty good for most of the game. On the first drive, we didnt blitz more than 4 and I was wondering why, Im sure you were too. After that, we seemed to rush pretty frequently and it worked. The Ravens had 5 holding calls in the first half! Mostly because someone was running free to the QB and they grabbed him. Tamba was completly hooked around the neck in the endzone that should have been a safety. HE BLEW passed that guy! The refs gave us a crappy call, saying it happened on the 1, so there was no safety. The next play, Flacco is gonna be sacked for a safety and throws it away, only to be saved by the refs AGAIN. The Ravens were clawing, scratching and biting to escape sacks. Contrary to what another member posted, The Ravens line is very good and physical and I think we gave them fits.

Second of all, WTF Clancy!? why was Maurice Leggett playing 10 yards off every play?! He had no chance to make a play and often was right there for the tackle after a first down or big gain. Am I the only one that noticed this?

Third of all, The Ravens haven't given up a hundred yard rusher in 38 games (39 now) and have only had TWO over 60 in that same period. I think we can expect to see a much better running game the rest of the year than what we saw against the best defense of the decade.

Fourth, Brodie Croyle ended up with 116.00 QB rating with 2 TD's and 0 picks. Not bad at all, Brodie. What was bad is that he was only 2 of 10 on third down. If the chiefs are able to run the ball better (which I know we will) and the coaching staff gets these recievers running thier routes past the marker (which you know Haley will do) I think we can be much better. When you add the fact that Matt Cassell will be at the Helm over Brodie, it only makes sense that we will perform better in that area.

Last but not least, DJ has to strart next week, the experiment is over Todd. Hopefully with Brandon Flowers back next week our defense looks better, but after giving up 501 yards to the Ravens, Clancy HAS to step it up. I know, nobody expected the Ravens to come out passing, but that is no excuse, we gave up way too many first downs and big gains because of bad play calls. The go-ahead TD pass with 2 minutes left happened when Clancy blitzed both safeties. Am I the only one that thought it was ridiculous to blitz both safeties? Obviously Clancy's defense can create HUGE plays, but at what cost? Hopefully he figures it out and I think he will.

In conclusion, I think that we will be competitive this year and unlike the previous years, I dont think that we have to wait until "next year" to be good, I think come week 8, people aren't going to want to play the Chiefs.

McLovin
09-15-2009, 01:26 AM
I agree with almost everything you say, I thought Brodie was a little to scared behind the line, he played bad in the first half and the last series. Overall though he WAS serviceable.

I understand being scared because of what he has been through and behind the O-Line (which I dont think was all that bad.) But if your scared you shouldnt be playing the position.

The thing I agree with most is that we wont have to wait till next year, this team has serious potential.

Right on and I would rep ya if I had any rep left to give.

GO CHIEFS.

Chiefster
09-15-2009, 01:31 AM
Nice read Tek!

Three7s
09-15-2009, 01:55 AM
To answer one of your questions, Pendergast wasn't making Leggett play that far back. Usually, coaches only say to do that when they're expecting something deep. That was probably Leggett just feeling uncomfortable.

jap1
09-15-2009, 02:30 AM
I didnt watch the game (Im on the west coast) but I did listen to it online. It seemed like from what the announcers were saying, DJ was in on passing situations. Maybe Clancy/Haley think Mays and Williams are better with handling the running game, and DJ is better in coverage or going after the QB.

That being said, I was excited to hear his name making big plays throughout the game.

Big Daddy Tek
09-15-2009, 02:49 AM
To answer one of your questions, Pendergast wasn't making Leggett play that far back. Usually, coaches only say to do that when they're expecting something deep. That was probably Leggett just feeling uncomfortable.

No way 7's. A corner has one of 3 zones assigned to him or man to man. Thats it. If you include bump and run (jam) as its own coverage, than thats 5 standard reads for a corner. Where he lines up, dictates his read. No way Leggett is choosing where he wants to line up. They had him playing deep zone the whole time so he didnt get beat deep. The Ravens just hit slants and hooks all day to that side.

PawnshopMarimba
09-15-2009, 02:52 AM
Nah, I think Todd was trying to get into DJ's head just like he was with Bowe. Johnson has the potential to be a very, very good linebacker in this league, but he has underachieved to an extent. How many seasons have we speculated this *this* year would be DJ's breakout season? Pretty much every one after his rookie year, to my recollection. The guy is flipping good, as he demonstrated on Sunday. He ought to get more playing time against the Rai'DERRRS this weekend.

matthewschiefs
09-15-2009, 02:55 AM
Well guys, I was in no position to type anything yesterday, definitly over indulged at the bar and we will just leave it at that. Anyway, there was a couple of points that I thought should be mentioned that nobody has.

First of all, I thought that the pass rush was pretty good for most of the game. On the first drive, we didnt blitz more than 4 and I was wondering why, Im sure you were too. After that, we seemed to rush pretty frequently and it worked. The Ravens had 5 holding calls in the first half! Mostly because someone was running free to the QB and they grabbed him. Tamba was completly hooked around the neck in the endzone that should have been a safety. HE BLEW passed that guy! The refs gave us a crappy call, saying it happened on the 1, so there was no safety. The next play, Flacco is gonna be sacked for a safety and throws it away, only to be saved by the refs AGAIN. The Ravens were clawing, scratching and biting to escape sacks. Contrary to what another member posted, The Ravens line is very good and physical and I think we gave them fits.

Second of all, WTF Clancy!? why was Maurice Leggett playing 10 yards off every play?! He had no chance to make a play and often was right there for the tackle after a first down or big gain. Am I the only one that noticed this?

Third of all, The Ravens haven't given up a hundred yard rusher in 38 games (39 now) and have only had TWO over 60 in that same period. I think we can expect to see a much better running game the rest of the year than what we saw against the best defense of the decade.

Fourth, Brodie Croyle ended up with 116.00 QB rating with 2 TD's and 0 picks. Not bad at all, Brodie. What was bad is that he was only 2 of 10 on third down. If the chiefs are able to run the ball better (which I know we will) and the coaching staff gets these recievers running thier routes past the marker (which you know Haley will do) I think we can be much better. When you add the fact that Matt Cassell will be at the Helm over Brodie, it only makes sense that we will perform better in that area.

Last but not least, DJ has to strart next week, the experiment is over Todd. Hopefully with Brandon Flowers back next week our defense looks better, but after giving up 501 yards to the Ravens, Clancy HAS to step it up. I know, nobody expected the Ravens to come out passing, but that is no excuse, we gave up way too many first downs and big gains because of bad play calls. The go-ahead TD pass with 2 minutes left happened when Clancy blitzed both safeties. Am I the only one that thought it was ridiculous to blitz both safeties? Obviously Clancy's defense can create HUGE plays, but at what cost? Hopefully he figures it out and I think he will.

In conclusion, I think that we will be competitive this year and unlike the previous years, I dont think that we have to wait until "next year" to be good, I think come week 8, people aren't going to want to play the Chiefs.

I realy agree on the pass rush. I dont no how the chiefs were only given credit for 1 hurry. falco had to scramble around time and time again. Unfortuantly he found someone open time and time again. Usely leggets man. but the chiefs pass rush was there.

Chiefster
09-15-2009, 03:05 AM
Nah, I think Todd was trying to get into DJ's head just like he was with Bowe. Johnson has the potential to be a very, very good linebacker in this league, but he has underachieved to an extent. How many seasons have we speculated this *this* year would be DJ's breakout season? Pretty much every one after his rookie year, to my recollection. The guy is flipping good, as he demonstrated on Sunday. He ought to get more playing time against the Rai'DERRRS this weekend.

Time to avenge last season's home opener! :bananen_smilies046:

PawnshopMarimba
09-15-2009, 03:11 AM
We're gonna win this one. I just know it.

Chiefster
09-15-2009, 03:15 AM
We're gonna win this one. I just know it.

I read ya man! :yahoo:

PawnshopMarimba
09-15-2009, 03:20 AM
lol
No matter how bad we are, a win over the Raiders makes it just that much more bearable.

doobs_05
09-15-2009, 03:26 AM
how'd the raiders look tonight didn't get a chance to watch...heard the new guy for them had 2 sacks

KC Maniac
09-15-2009, 03:28 AM
1st point) Pass rush was non existant, 1 hurry

2nd point) Our defense was on the field for 40 minutes, they couldn't play up close or they would get beat every play.

3rd) Big excuse..Our O-line was Horrible..thats why we didnt rush for any yards.

4th) I agree. Brodie was pretty good, but Cassel won't be able to do much better if our O-line does not somehow get better, fast.

5) See point 2...It wont matter who we have out there if we do not make 1st downs...Which we will not be able to do with the current O-line.

So I did at least agree with one item on your list....but your summary you mention we will be competitive...I don't really know what you mean by this....

I think I have a different definition of competitive than you. Until we get some O-Line and D-line remedies, there is no way we will be competitive as I define the word.

KC Maniac
09-15-2009, 03:28 AM
how'd the raiders look tonight didn't get a chance to watch...heard the new guy for them had 2 sacks

Unfortunately the raiders looked pretty good...Seymour (the new guy as you put it) looked like a beast.

doobs_05
09-15-2009, 03:32 AM
Unfortunately the raiders looked pretty good...Seymour (the new guy as you put it) looked like a beast.

i read they were leading but cry baby (rivers) lead a drive to take the lead with 15 seconds left

also heard Heyward-bay dropped a pass hahahaha should of taken CASHtree

Three7s
09-15-2009, 04:00 AM
Yeah, the Raiders did look pretty good. They ran the ball down the Chargers throats, but Russell is still HORRIBLE!

We may have problems with Zach Miller in the zone, but I'm not worried about the Raiders WRs at all, just make sure to cover deep and stop the run.

The Raiders defense was great until they played prevent.

KC Maniac
09-15-2009, 04:08 AM
What I am worried about is the pressure and the front 7 of the Raiders (they play some weird 4-3-3-1 thingy, with a 3 deep zone and 1 safety)

Seymour looked just manly, and even the Chargers couldn't really run on them for much of the game....

If they break our offensive line and we cant get first downs, our defense will be much too tired to run with their WR's I am afraid...

yashi
09-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Great minds think alike Tek, I agree with everything you said....

except, we didn't have a good pass rush. We registered 1 QB hurry in 44 pass attempts, which is terrible. It seemed like a few more, but maybe they were on penalty plays. Flacco had all day to throw way too often.

Isawa_mo
09-15-2009, 09:23 AM
The Raiders were the Raiders. Honestly, both the Chargers and the Raiders played horribly sloppy football lastnight. Many penalties and mistakes. Once San Diego stopped the run and forced Russell to make throws they were having a horrible time. He did finally get lucky late on that deep route, but again that was just as much due to a miscue in the San Diego secondary.

Then, the Raiders did what they do, found a way to lose the game late. Honestly, if we play mistake free this week, like we did on Sunday and make just a couple more plays on offense this will be a laugher by the end.

yashi
09-15-2009, 09:28 AM
The Raiders were the Raiders. Honestly, both the Chargers and the Raiders played horribly sloppy football lastnight. Many penalties and mistakes. Once San Diego stopped the run and forced Russell to make throws they were having a horrible time. He did finally get lucky late on that deep route, but again that was just as much due to a miscue in the San Diego secondary.

Then, the Raiders did what they do, found a way to lose the game late. Honestly, if we play mistake free this week, like we did on Sunday and make just a couple more plays on offense this will be a laugher by the end.

Personally I was pretty impressed with the stupid Raiders running game, and their run defense. Russell is a terrible QB and blew some chances for them.

I don't think for a second that next week is going to be some kind of walk in the park game. Seymour is going to be a tough assignment, and he was moving all over the place last night. If he lines up at left end, it could be a long day.

chief31
09-15-2009, 11:44 AM
What I saw in this game was not The Kansas City Patriots, but The Kansas City Cardinals.

Most notably, the complete absence of a running attack.

And that is scary. Because The ARIZONA Cardinals still have Kurt Warner, Boldin and Fitz.

Hopefully, that is just a mirage.

m0ef0e
09-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Seymour made a big difference already for the faiders. They're run defense was horrible in the preseason and last nite, they held LT and Sproles to 78 yards (but 2 TD's between them). I am not particularly pleased that the faiders got him... woulda loved to have seen that terrible run D this week but Seymour is probably going to improve that D even more now that he's actually in practice, working with the team.

Isawa_mo
09-15-2009, 03:04 PM
I was speaking more to how sloppily that game was played lastnight. I felt more like it was which team wanted to give the game away. How many penalties did each team commit? Each team had turnovers. What was Russell's QB rating? It had to be pretty bad. It just took the Chargers forever to figure out how to beat the Raiders. Finally, after the half, they remembered try just had to stack the box and make Russell beat them. I know he made the one long pass, but I felt like that only happened because the Chargers d-backs blew it.

Do not get me wrong, the Chargers were doing their best to hand the game to the Raiders too. Then late in the third quarter they finally figured out how to beat the Raiders defense. Just dump the ball 5 yards up field between the line and backers. That player can then rumble for 10-20 yards before they will catch him.

Honestly, I feel better about our chances against not only the Raiders, but also against the Chargers.

m0ef0e
09-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Russell's QB rating last nite was a stellar 47.6, lol.

Kadiddlehopper
09-15-2009, 04:59 PM
You guys should feel pretty good. heck of a lot better showing than we did in two games last year against them.

josh1971
09-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Seymour made a big difference already for the faiders. They're run defense was horrible in the preseason and last nite, they held LT and Sproles to 78 yards (but 2 TD's between them). I am not particularly pleased that the faiders got him... woulda loved to have seen that terrible run D this week but Seymour is probably going to improve that D even more now that he's actually in practice, working with the team.

But Seymour wasn't playing in Arrowhead last night ;)

Big Daddy Tek
09-15-2009, 08:52 PM
You guys should feel pretty good. heck of a lot better showing than we did in two games last year against them.

Actually, that would be a gigantic NO. It took an onside kick for them to beat us one game and the other, Herm went for two instead of OT.

Coach
09-15-2009, 09:25 PM

I thought the Raiders outplayed the chargers lastnight. The Raiders running game was impressive and if they had stuck with it, they would have won. After Tom Cable watches the Chiefs vs. Ravens tape, I would expect him to put together a game plan that is extremely run heavy.

Our key on defense to beating the Raiders will be neutralizing their run game to create 3rd and long situations.
Our key on offense will be the O-line blocking for our QB/RB.
I realize those aren't earth shattering predictions. But based on week 1 performances, I think this is what it will come down to.

m0ef0e
09-15-2009, 09:26 PM
But Seymour wasn't playing in Arrowhead last night ;)

Touche! :bananen_smilies046::lol:

Chiefster
09-16-2009, 12:34 AM
I thought the Raiders outplayed the chargers lastnight. The Raiders running game was impressive and if they had stuck with it, they would have won. After Tom Cable watches the Chiefs vs. Ravens tape, I would expect him to put together a game plan that is extremely run heavy.

Our key on defense to beating the Raiders will be neutralizing their run game to create 3rd and long situations.
Our key on offense will be the O-line blocking for our QB/RB.
I realize those aren't earth shattering predictions. But based on week 1 performances, I think this is what it will come down to.

Yup, it all starts up front.