PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Turley having concussion issues and impies wrongdoing of ex-Chief Richie Scanlon

Coach
09-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Effects of head trauma scaring Turley - NFL - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-thegameface091809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Long article, but interesting read.

honda522
09-18-2009, 11:23 PM
I am not sure where Scanlon comes in on this or the Chiefs. I have read the article and the original injury happened in St. Louis.

Coach
09-18-2009, 11:27 PM
I am not sure where Scanlon comes in on this or the Chiefs. I have read the article and the original injury happened in St. Louis.

Here is the excerpt from the article.

Turley, who finished his career with the Chiefs in ’07, remembers sitting in a cold tub after a game at Arrowhead Stadium with teammate Richie Scanlon, a special-teams player and linebacker.

“He came in and had a broken nose that was cracked all the way across,” Turley recalls. “All of a sudden, in 50-degree water, he passes out. I went and told the trainers and doctors and they said, ‘He’s all right.’ I said, ‘No, he’s not. If you guys let this guy go home right now, I’m gonna file a report against you for negligence.’ He ended up in the hospital, and they kept him for a couple of days.”

The article is implying that many team doctors look the other way when it comes to injuries because the doctors are employees of the team.

Hayvern
09-19-2009, 12:50 AM
I have no doubt that every bit of this is true. We all might complain that these guys make huge salaries, yet, the players will tell you this is precisely why they have these huge salaries.

It is terrible. I am reminded of an episode on an HBO series that was on a few years ago about a football team. I know it was fiction, but there was an instance there were a big offensive line was diagnosed with diabetes and the doctors said he needed to lose weight or die.

The team told him to remain heavy or stop playing. The player had to make a choice. Of course he made the choice to stay heavy. Fiction like that is never far from the truth at least as it seems in this case.