PDA

View Full Version : Croyle... You're serious??

m0ef0e
08-18-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm not going to go into the fact that the preseason QB battle is skewed by overly conservative play-calling for one guy, while the next gets to come in and pass on every down. I don't think I need to say that it's obvious that Huard has never had a chance of being this year's starter. It's entirely evident to me that Herm Edwards and Mike Solari have their man in Brodie Croyle and the whole preseason QB "battle" has been a farce from the start.

Nobody thinks that the reason Huard's not getting a fair shot and the reason we cut Tynes so early is simply because the organization doesn't want to look like the drafted the wrong guy? Come on. This happens all the time in the NFL. Look at the Browns. They have had horrendous QB problems for years because they have made huge mistakes drafting guys that are supposed to be their savior and then throwing them into the mix too early or simply ignoring the fact that their second string guy gives them a better chance to win because they don't want to look stupid for paying big money to a draft pick who is a bust. If Brady Quinn is atrocious while his back-up plays at least decent, the Browns would start Quinn anyway and they would have another miserable year for it. (Not saying Quinn is bad, just an example.)

Both picks I've seen Croyle throw this preseason would be horribly inexcuseable for a high school quarterback! The one against the Dolphins was atrocious, he had the sidelines AND the pylon (2 targets) to throw at and the pass goes directly to the defender! So badly that the intended receiver didn't even have a chance to try to make a play on the ball. There wasn't even a Chief's player within 5 yards of the defender Croyle threw it to against the Browns! This guy is playing at the pro level making pop-warner mistakes and he is our future???!?! ROFLMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

A third-round draft pick from Alabama is going to come in a and cure all our woes while MANY QB's taken in the first round aren't even playing anymore because they were such a bust! I'll believe that when I see it.

Well, it looks like Croyle will start this season so he will have the chance to prove me wrong. However, I think now that this will be a miserable year for us and the best thing Croyle will do for this team is continue to make mistakes in close games and help the Chiefs to a losing season so we will get an earlier draft pick we can use to replace him.
ROUND 2, READY... FIGHT!!:schlacht:

EDIT: BTW, Huard is 10-4 as an NFL starter lifetime. Yes, it was in the PAST but that deserves some merit, imo. I know I'm going to take a lot of heat for this one so go ahead and shred me. Remember, it's all in good fun though. I'm not trying to make anyone mad. My opinion is pretty much worthless anyway.

Canada
08-18-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm not going to go into the fact that the preseason QB battle is skewed by overly conservative play-calling for one guy, while the next gets to come in and pass on every down. I don't think I need to say that it's obvious that Huard has never had a chance of being this year's starter. It's entirely evident to me that Herm Edwards and Mike Solari have their man in Brodie Croyle and the whole preseason QB "battle" has been a farce from the start.

Nobody thinks that the reason Huard's not getting a fair shot and the reason we cut Tynes so early is simply because the organization doesn't want to look like the drafted the wrong guy? Come on. This happens all the time in the NFL. Look at the Browns. They have had horrendous QB problems for years because they have made huge mistakes drafting guys that are supposed to be their savior and then throwing them into the mix too early or simply ignoring the fact that their second string guy gives them a better chance to win because they don't want to look stupid for paying big money to a draft pick who is a bust. If Brady Quinn is atrocious while his back-up plays at least decent, the Browns would start Quinn anyway and they would have another miserable year for it. (Not saying Quinn is bad, just an example.)

Both picks I've seen Croyle throw this preseason would be horribly inexcuseable for a high school quarterback! The one against the Dolphins was atrocious, he had the sidelines AND the pylon (2 targets) to throw at and the pass goes directly to the defender! So badly that the intended receiver didn't even have a chance to try to make a play on the ball. There wasn't even a Chief's player within 5 yards of the defender Croyle threw it to against the Browns! This guy is playing at the pro level making pop-warner mistakes and he is our future???!?! ROFLMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

A third-round draft pick from Alabama is going to come in a and cure all our woes while MANY QB's taken in the first round aren't even playing anymore because they were such a bust! I'll believe that when I see it.

Well, it looks like Croyle will start this season so he will have the chance to prove me wrong. However, I think now that this will be a miserable year for us and the best thing Croyle will do for this team is continue to make mistakes in close games and help the Chiefs to a losing season so we will get an earlier draft pick we can use to replace him.

EDIT: BTW, Huard is 10-4 as an NFL starter lifetime. Yes, it was in the PAST but that deserves some merit, imo. I know I'm going to take a lot of heat for this one so go ahead and shred me. Remember, it's all in good fun though. I'm not trying to make anyone mad. My opinion is pretty much worthless anyway.

I haven't ever said that Croyle is the runaway favorite, I have heard all the bad things about him, but the fact remains I have yet to hear or see a good thing from Huard. Sure he was good last year. Sure he has 10 wins in the last 176 games he has been an NFL QB. Is anyone here sayin that "he" won those games for us last year?? I don't really see him doin all that well without LJ carrying the ball 416 times. I agree that it is not fair that Huard did not get the chance in the preseason that Croyle did, but does that automatically make Croyle the wrong choice??

sling58
08-18-2007, 02:12 PM
I haven't ever said that Croyle is the runaway favorite, I have heard all the bad things about him, but the fact remains I have yet to hear or see a good thing from Huard. Sure he was good last year. Sure he has 10 wins in the last 176 games he has been an NFL QB. Is anyone here sayin that "he" won those games for us last year?? I don't really see him doin all that well without LJ carrying the ball 416 times. I agree that it is not fair that Huard did not get the chance in the preseason that Croyle did, but does that automatically make Croyle the wrong choice??

I don't think it automatically does. I do agree that Huard had help last year. I just think that the decision on who starts at Quarterback was decided even before the team reported to River Falls. IMO

Canada
08-18-2007, 02:13 PM
[/b]

I don't think it automatically does. I do agree that Huard had help last year. I just think that the decision on who starts at Quarterback was decided even before the team reported to River Falls. IMO

Absolutely...I am not a huge fan of either guy. Thank god we got a defense again!! :bananen_smilies046:

sling58
08-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Absolutely...I am not a huge fan of either guy. Thank god we got a defense again!! :bananen_smilies046:

As long as they wrap up!

luv
08-18-2007, 02:59 PM
[/b]

I don't think it automatically does. I do agree that Huard had help last year. I just think that the decision on who starts at Quarterback was decided even before the team reported to River Falls. IMOHuard had LOTS of help last year. He was constantly over and underthrowing the ball. Our receivers had to either stop and turn around to catch the ball behind them, or they had to jump up to catch a pass going way over their head. With so many new receivers, we need someone who knows how to hit his mark. Croyle is not perfect, but he's much better at it than Huard is. Croyle needs to work on his decision making. That comes with experience. Experience that people on here seem to not want him to get.

chief31
08-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Huard had LOTS of help last year. He was constantly over and underthrowing the ball. Our receivers had to either stop and turn around to catch the ball behind them, or they had to jump up to catch a pass going way over their head. With so many new receivers, we need someone who knows how to hit his mark. Croyle is not perfect, but he's much better at it than Huard is. Croyle needs to work on his decision making. That comes with experience. Experience that people on here seem to not want him to get.

While I watched every game last year, I don't remember seeing all of the circus catches that you keep referring to. I do remember seeing Jordan Black and Kyle Turley failing to allow Damon to remain on his feet. I also remember seeing Sammie Parker drop his regular amount of easy catches. Personally, I was amazed at what Huard was able to do. Especially since Trent Green couldn't match the level of play that he was displaying.

You can belittle Huards work from last season all you want. I'm not going to try and stop you. But I'm not going to be able to believe you either.

You asked me earlier, why I was against starting Croyle. I answered that I'm not. I haven't said anything negative about him. you, on the other hand, have been bashing the guy who, no matter how much help, ranked second in QB Rating and had the highest TD/Int percentage in the entire NFL. Just curious why you are so negative about Damon Huard?

YZILLA
08-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Sorry but I completely agree with Chief31 I was at 5 of the games and at no time did I see any circus catches. He was putting them (mostly) where our recievers could only grab them. I even remember a few times the announcers stating that fact about him when I would watch the NFL Replay games from last year on the NFL Network. He is after all in a preseason game and the team is trying to get their collective poop in a group so to speak so I am not concerned ....yet. But if he doesnt get blocking ( or Croyle ) He better be able to get rid of it or scramble. Im not seeing any fast feet with either of them . Pocket throwers will go down very fast on this team this year unless they decide to fix the problems they are having with the blockers. Huard has alot more experience than Croyle So I say we start him and give Brodie Reps when we have a game in order or are getting blown out. ( My opinion ) . Last year I was scared that we had to place our season in the hands of Huard when Trent got hurt. I was amazingly surprised at how fortunate we were to have him as a backup. What would last year have been if Croyle was to be the man? Not pretty I am sure. I really want Croyle to be the best quarterback in the league someday , But he cant just be thrown to the wolves against the likes of a regular season starting team. Hes not ready . I say let him play a Quarter each game and see how he progresses each game. That would be more beneficial to a rebuiling team than just handing him the reigns and see how far he gets. No offense to anyone intended , Just my opinion...Take it or leave it I still love the CHIEFS !!!!

GO CHIEFS !!!

m0ef0e
08-18-2007, 04:59 PM
While playing "Hermie-ball", not making mistakes is just as important to winning games as scoring itself.

Guru
08-18-2007, 06:38 PM

I would argue that point considering how many first downs this D has given up in the preseason.

Chiefster
08-18-2007, 08:06 PM
I would argue that point considering how many first downs this D has given up in the preseason.

True, although I don't think they have given up as many points, but that too, I think, is to be expected.

Canada
08-18-2007, 08:33 PM

Bend, don't break. It is better than it has been in the past few years.

Chiefster
08-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Got all yer Arrowcash invested I see Canada.

Bend don't break defense can be frustrating to opposing offenses, but can also mean the difference in losing a game we should have won.

Guru
08-18-2007, 09:15 PM

Bend don't break defense can be frustrating to opposing offenses, but can also mean the difference in losing a game we should have won.

Stops deep in your own territory are nice but they also get you pinned down deep in your own territory. With our offense, that is not a good thing. We need a smothering D that doesn't give up a ton of first downs only to stiffen up at the end.

Chiefster
08-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Stops deep in your own territory are nice but they also get you pinned down deep in your own territory. With our offense, that is not a good thing. We need a smothering D that doesn't give up a ton of first downs only to stiffen up at the end.

I agree, we saw this a lot in the Marty era; prevent defense in a close game that prevented us from winning.

Canada
08-18-2007, 11:32 PM

Onthe other side of the coin we could win a game we should have lost. I just think this D is better than Vermeil bend then break and bend some more defense!! :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
08-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Onthe other side of the coin we could win a game we should have lost. I just think this D is better than Vermeil bend then break and bend some more defense!! :bananen_smilies046:

Oh yeah; the defense in is infinitely better then DV era defense; the offense just stinks now.

spiman
08-20-2007, 01:03 AM
Ditto mOeFoe' H-man QB , I'ts going to a long 16..

thecrowder
08-20-2007, 02:42 AM
I think croyle has it all but he needs to notice whats safe and whats not but they can fix after a little while

Chiefster
08-20-2007, 06:05 AM
I think croyle has it all but he needs to notice whats safe and whats not but they can fix after a little while

Yup; it all comes with experience and experience comes with being on the field; not the sidelines.

stlchief
08-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Yes - the only way to get it is to play, but you have to be close to ready before you get a full season of an NFL team. He is not close. He has the skills, not the decision making.

How many come-back drives do we need to see a 4th quarter game-ending interception on?

I think sitting on more year, while knowing he has the skills, is what he needs. If Huard goes 4-4 to start the season, bring in Croyle because the season's over anyway.

But let's not chalk up 2 - 4 turn-overs a game just because he has some accuracy.

And you guys can say what you want about "circus catches" and having help. What if I told you the Chiefs could have gotten last years #2 QB in the off-season for next to nothing? Wouldn't you say, let's make a run and let Croyle wait a little while?

Guess what, we did get the #2 QB in the NFL last year for next to nothing. We re-signed Huard, whose QB rating was 2nd only to Manning.

He went 5-3.

It amazes me that there is even any discussion...

wolfpack
08-20-2007, 01:28 PM
its been years since i`ve heard that. let Cryole start.

Chiefster
08-20-2007, 01:48 PM
its been years since i`ve heard that. let Cryole start.

Yeah, I too, am pretty sick of the Whole QB drama.

sling58
08-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Lets just play. I am ready for the excitement of the regular season

Chief Lincoln
08-20-2007, 04:18 PM
I agree strongly , but rest assured , Croyles colors will be seen early , unfortunately we have the possibility of a loss while they shuffle the team order.

Canada
08-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Yes - the only way to get it is to play, but you have to be close to ready before you get a full season of an NFL team. He is not close. He has the skills, not the decision making.

How many come-back drives do we need to see a 4th quarter game-ending interception on?

I think sitting on more year, while knowing he has the skills, is what he needs. If Huard goes 4-4 to start the season, bring in Croyle because the season's over anyway.

But let's not chalk up 2 - 4 turn-overs a game just because he has some accuracy.

And you guys can say what you want about "circus catches" and having help. What if I told you the Chiefs could have gotten last years #2 QB in the off-season for next to nothing? Wouldn't you say, let's make a run and let Croyle wait a little while?

Guess what, we did get the #2 QB in the NFL last year for next to nothing. We re-signed Huard, whose QB rating was 2nd only to Manning.

He went 5-3.

It amazes me that there is even any discussion...

No offense brother, but if you truly believe that Huard was the #2 QB in the league the you need to start watching more football. Can you honestly say that Huard would be good had LJ not carried the ball 416 times?? LJ got wore out because Huard is not a great QB. I personally would much rather take Tom Brady, Roethlisberger, Carson Palmer, Steve McNair, Bulger or McNabb over Huard this year even though they are not the #2 QB in the league! :bananen_smilies046:

sling58
08-20-2007, 05:55 PM
No offense brother, but if you truly believe that Huard was the #2 QB in the league the you need to start watching more football. Can you honestly say that Huard would be good had LJ not carried the ball 416 times?? LJ got wore out because Huard is not a great QB. I personally would much rather take Tom Brady, Roethlisberger, Carson Palmer, Steve McNair, Bulger or McNabb over Huard this year even though they are not the #2 QB in the league! :bananen_smilies046:

I would take Big Ben. Don't want a Pat playing for me. Carson would go good too!

Canada
08-20-2007, 06:01 PM
I would take Big Ben. Don't want a Pat playing for me. Carson would go good too!

I am not talking about who we like and don't like, my point is Huard in NOT the #2 QB in league.

wolfpack
08-20-2007, 06:10 PM
i think haurd was a one year wonder and it was last year. he is a good backup. he has been in this league along time. if he was so great or above average, he`d be starting somewhere along time ago.

Canada
08-20-2007, 06:18 PM
i think haurd was a one year wonder and it was last year. he is a good backup. he has been in this league along time. if he was so great or above average, he`d be starting somewhere along time ago.

Eggsactly!! :bananen_smilies046:

m0ef0e
08-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Damon's been in the league long enough to develop solid decision-making skills and certainly long enough to at least deserve a fair shot at starting, imo. If Croyle beats him out for the job, that's fine with me. Just as long as the competition is fair as far as the play-calling goes for each guy. So far, it hasn't been. To push a guy into a starting role that may not be ready, on a team that is already rebuilding on that side of the ball, is a fatal mistake in the NFL.

I'm tired of this whole thing too but the reason why it is such a big issue for me is because I don't want to watch a crappy season like the Faders had last year happen to my team. If we turn the ball over every game, possibly multiple times a game, it will certainly spell doom for a now defensive-minded football team that will be looking to win low-scoring, close games.

Canada
08-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Hopefully Croyle learns a lesson or two in the preseason and can keep the mistakes to a minimum.

m0ef0e
08-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I hope he gets it all out of his system now because it really looks like he is going to be the guy.

Coach
08-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I hope he gets it all out of his system now because it really looks like he is going to be the guy.

Yes it sure does. I'd say that he would have to really have an incredibly bad game against the Saints or get hurt to not be the starter.

Coach
08-20-2007, 10:09 PM
I agree strongly , but rest assured , Croyles colors will be seen early , unfortunately we have the possibility of a loss while they shuffle the team order.

I think the Croyle learning curve is what scares us all.

Chiefster
08-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Lets just play. I am ready for the excitement of the regular season

Ditto that! :D

stlchief
08-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Yes - but c'mon. This is our pre-season too. After the first lost of the season, you don't think we'll be at each other's throats? Half saying "I told you so", half saying the loss was not their QB's fault. The only thing we'll agree on is Peterson is more interested in $ than a championship...

(BTW - I was looking for the quote from "The Life of Brian" about the fighting Jewish rebels looking for their common enemy and was laughing out loud reading the other quotes from the movie:

"BRIAN: We mustn't fight each other! Surely we should be united against the common enemy!
EVERYONE: The Judean People's Front?!
BRIAN: No, no! The Romans! "

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079470/quotes
http://leftspot.com/blog/?q=node/129
)

Chiefster
08-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Yes - but c'mon. This is our pre-season too. After the first lost of the season, you don't think we'll be at each other's throats? Half saying "I told you so", half saying the loss was not their QB's fault. The only thing we'll agree on is Peterson is more interested in $ than a championship...

(BTW - I was looking for the quote from "The Life of Brian" about the fighting Jewish rebels looking for their common enemy and was laughing out loud reading the other quotes from the movie:

"BRIAN: We mustn't fight each other! Surely we should be united against the common enemy!

)

...Got no problem agreeing to disagree bud! :)

Smed1065
08-20-2007, 11:55 PM

I agree but we need youth players too step up!

Canada
08-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Yes - but c'mon. This is our pre-season too. After the first loss of the season, you don't think we'll be at each other's throats? Half saying "I told you so", half saying the loss was not their QB's fault. The only thing we'll agree on is Peterson is more interested in $ than a championship...

)

We aren't going to lose any games this season...didn't you hear?? :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
08-21-2007, 12:27 AM
We aren't going to lose any games this season...didn't you hear?? :bananen_smilies046:

Carl; is that you?

Canada
08-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Carl; is that you?

I thought we were souppsed to be respectful here and you go and say that!! Them's fightin words old timer!! :wheelchair:

Chiefster
08-21-2007, 12:53 AM
I thought we were souppsed to be respectful here and you go and say that!! Them's fightin words old timer!! :wheelchair:

Meh; respect yer elders :sign0104: ! :11:

swmochiefsfan
08-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Hopefully Croyle learns a lesson or two in the preseason and can keep the mistakes to a minimum.
mistakes will be made,patience is a vertue.

luv
08-21-2007, 12:18 PM
I say that all the time.

swmochiefsfan
08-21-2007, 12:43 PM
I say that all the time.
that must be a local thing

luv
08-21-2007, 01:30 PM
that must be a local thing
That's what we get for being in the buckle of the Bible Belt. We all just go around quoting Proverbs all the time.

m0ef0e
08-21-2007, 02:25 PM
I've been hearing that Huard has come up hurt now with a calf injury...

Guru
08-21-2007, 02:30 PM

)

Hmmmm, Fantasy Sportsbook?

luv
08-21-2007, 02:32 PM
I've been hearing that Huard has come up hurt now with a calf injury...
I thought he had it wrapped going into training camp.

m0ef0e
08-21-2007, 02:33 PM

I guess so but they said on the radio today that he missed practice yesterday and will likely not play against the Saints on Thursday.

Guru
08-21-2007, 02:41 PM
I think this is a different injury. That was a calf, this is a thigh I think.

Chiefster
08-21-2007, 04:17 PM

Why yes; yes it is! :)