PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of JASON WHITLOCK's article?

Cardinals Krew
09-23-2009, 01:30 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1458219.html

Haley’s coaching performance was embarrassing
By JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

Let’s hope Todd Haley spent Sunday night standing in front of a mirror, screaming at himself.

If he holds himself to the same standards as his players, he might be on the waiver wire this morning.

His coaching display Sunday afternoon against the Oakland Raiders was an embarrassment, as bad as anything I’ve seen in the NFL.

Losing at home to these Raiders on a day when JaMarcus Russell unseated Ryan Leaf as the most ill-prepared quarterback in league history required a special level of coaching incompetence — a combination of arrogance, flawed logic and lack of self-control rarely seen on network TV.

If 22 players off the street can win two NFL games, there were 70,000 people inside Arrowhead Stadium who could have done a better job than Scott Ego-li’s handpicked coach.

In a 13-10 loss, the Haley-led Chiefs squandered a chip-shot field-goal attempt in the final seconds of the first half with a no-timeouts-left, 1-yard pass in the flat to Dantrell Savage. Time expired before the refs could re-spot the ball for the next play.

In a 13-10 loss, the Haley-led Chiefs dropped back to pass on third and 1 in the final 43 seconds of the game and in possession of all three of their timeouts. The Raiders sacked Matt Cassel, setting up the game-deciding fourth-and-4 play the Chiefs would not convert.

In a 13-10 loss, the Haley-led Chiefs were flagged for nine penalties, including a critical late-hit infraction on Oakland’s game-winning TD drive. They turned the ball over twice and failed to down a perfect punt inside the 5 despite six Chiefs circling the ball.

The Chiefs melted down Sunday. They were a reflection of their head coach, who ranted and raved after every error — except his own.

“We’re going to have a smart team here,” Haley promised after the game. “Nine penalties and a couple of those things don’t reflect a smart team.”

Uh, Todd, did you coach smart on Sunday?

“How the half ended, I’d say no,” Haley acknowledged. “I’m the leader of this football team, and when you have the ball in an area where you can score points and you don’t get the points, it’s all going to fall on me. So, I’d say no.”

How about the end of the game, Todd — why not run for the first down and use one of your three timeouts?

“I won’t get into specifics, but the play called had a running back in a situation where, to me, it appeared to me as good as a run, a chance to get the ball into the running back’s hands.”

What game was Haley watching?

Based on what we saw from Cassel, there was no reason to have confidence in his decision-making. The ineptitude of Cassel’s play — two horrible interceptions and two horrible sacks — was only slightly masked by JaMarcus Russell’s Leaflike effort.

The truth is, Russell’s performance illustrates just how bad Haley’s Chiefs are. Russell and the Raiders picked up the victory completing seven of 24 passes for 109 yards, racking up 11 first downs and 166 total yards.

The Raiders played dead, and won.

How?

Many of you don’t understand why the tone of my columns about the Chiefs has been so negative after I initially campaigned for Scott Pioli’s hiring and identified Haley as Pioli’s likely head coach.

The amount of arrogance from Pioli directed toward the media and the unwarranted, know-it-all arrogance Haley directs toward his players make King Carl Peterson look as humble and down-to-earth as Lamar Hunt.

The arrogance is toxic and counterproductive to winning. It’s not confidence. It’s a couple of blowhards drunk on their newfound power.

They’re so caught up in establishing all the little “intangibles” they think create a winning environment that they’ve lost sight of the fact that players win football games — not head coaches or general managers.

Do you realize how arrogant you have to be to hold a brutal offseason program and training camp, play a game and then sign Bobby Wade off the street on Tuesday and make him your go-to receiver on Sunday because you’re trying to prove a point to Dwayne Bowe and Mark Bradley?

Bobby Wade isn’t emotionally or physically invested in the Chiefs and the program Ego-li and Haley allegedly implemented. But Wade was KC’s leading receiver and punt-return man on Sunday. Bradley rode the bench, I can only assume, because he failed to pick up a first down last week in Baltimore.

Will Haley sit down next week?

His lack of composure and suspect play-calling cost the Chiefs a game against the worst team in football.

W@W. My understanding is that this guy is usually fair. So whats up?

yashi
09-23-2009, 01:34 PM
I only agree with Fatlock in that Haley coached a bad game Sunday. To the rest I say, "whatever".

obsessed
09-23-2009, 01:44 PM
i don't agree about cassel all that much, one of those picks was a great play by Huff, the other was a bad pass but honestly that was one of fatlocks better rants.

brish
09-23-2009, 01:56 PM
No! Fatlock is an idiot!
The name calling is so childish, it's impossible to take him seriously.
He's a clueless hack!

Hayvern
09-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I agree with him that Haley is a rookie head coach and is botching the job right now. He will figure it out, but his motivation techniques suck and his game calling no better.

He might get there, but right now, Haley needs to look inside and evaluate how he is running this team. I would expect to see open rebellion by the players on this team if we lose the next five games and Haley keeps treating them like he has been.

Chiefster
09-23-2009, 02:34 PM
I largely ignore :fatlock:.

...That is all.

Big Daddy Tek
09-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Fatlock is an idiot. This team is better than any team that weve had in 3 years. Unlike last year, i dont expect to be blown out because we werent prepared. Its only week 2. This team has a lot of molding to do. We will be fine.

Chiefster
09-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Fatlock is an idiot. This team is better than any team that weve had in 3 years. Unlike last year, i dont expect to be blown out because we werent prepared. Its only week 2. This team has a lot of molding to do. We will be fine.

Agreed! I believe it is only a matter of time before we're making another playoff run; hopefully sooner rather than later. :sign0098:

matthewschiefs
09-23-2009, 03:31 PM
He wrote that article and 2 days latter writes an article prasing hailey and basicly calling out Pioli the guys a joke. Thats just what i think.

pbatrucker
09-23-2009, 04:46 PM
I agree with him that Haley is a rookie head coach and is botching the job right now. He will figure it out, but his motivation techniques suck and his game calling no better.

He might get there, but right now, Haley needs to look inside and evaluate how he is running this team. I would expect to see open rebellion by the players on this team if we lose the next five games and Haley keeps treating them like he has been.
Why don't we bring back Herm, he was always nice to the players!!!

Hayvern
09-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Why don't we bring back Herm, he was always nice to the players!!!

Bah, there is a fine line between being a coach and being an idiot.

We have gone from one extreme to the other.

Chiefster
09-23-2009, 05:19 PM
I can remember people bad mouthing Vermeil because he was so emotional, but he was a good coach IMO.

drstandley31
09-23-2009, 06:36 PM
He's an idiot. Only upset because the Chiefs won't kiss the Press' a$$ and he thinks he should get the red carpet treatment. I don't even read his crap anymore. When's the last time this guy actually did a real day's work?

Hayvern
09-23-2009, 08:20 PM
He's an idiot. Only upset because the Chiefs won't kiss the Press' a$$ and he thinks he should get the red carpet treatment. I don't even read his crap anymore. When's the last time this guy actually did a real day's work?

Probably the last time one of our Chief's leaders sat down with him and gave him an interview.

While I am not defending him, he has a point, how is he supposed to make money and write stories if the leaders won't give him an interview.

I personally don't care, all newspaper writers are idiots anyway.

Pro_Angler
09-23-2009, 08:42 PM
I have to agree with him about the arrogance i have said it many ti,es here that hailey is too arrogant for his own good.

chief31
09-23-2009, 09:57 PM
No! Fatlock is an idiot!
The name calling is so childish, it's impossible to take him seriously.
He's a clueless hack!

Oh Brish.

"The name calling is so childish" "He's a clueless hack!"

I am sorry for singling you out here. But that is pretty funny.:D

honda522
09-23-2009, 10:00 PM
His articles have always sucked.

Vandelay
09-23-2009, 10:23 PM
:fatlock: Gundy - Fat.mp3 (http://www.jungledrops.com/drops/Gundy%20-%20Fat.mp3)

Canada
09-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Probably the last time one of our Chief's leaders sat down with him and gave him an interview.

While I am not defending him, he has a point, how is he supposed to make money and write stories if the leaders won't give him an interview.

I personally don't care, all newspaper writers are idiots anyway.

Maybe some people would be more inclined to talk to him if he did not bash them continually. Would you do interviews for him if he wrote articles about you the way he does about the Chiefs?

KCSDFAN
09-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Read the Fader's paper and they ripped Haley, too. Whitlock was right about some of what he wrote.

PawnshopMarimba
09-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Maybe some people would be more inclined to talk to him if he did not bash them continually. Would you do interviews for him if he wrote articles about you the way he does about the Chiefs?

Exactly. Just imagine if someone like Cassel agreed to sit down with him! Whitlock would be suspect to writing something divisive like,

"...the 60 Million Dollar man adjusted in his chair and cleared his throat uncomfortably after I asked him if he were a homosexual prostitute using a pro football career as a cover for his lifestyle; a clear sign of a lack of confidence and that he *is* in fact a homosexual prostitute."

It seems to me that Whitlock doesn't get interviews with team leaders because his articles routinely have a condescending and... wait for it... ARROGANT tone to them (See what I did there, Jason?) .

His lack of getting an interview with leaders of a team he not-so-secretly despises begets bitterness, so his articles become even more resentful and foul, which, in turn, makes the Chiefs organization even less likely to placate his requests.

It's a vicious circle with this guy. Wake up, Whitty.

Hayvern
09-24-2009, 01:17 AM

Nope, I would not do articles with any of those losers, does that mean Fatlock is wrong all the time?

wolfpack
09-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Fatlock is Fatlock. He couldbe writting for national enquiror.
But being an a$$ is what he is getting paid to do.He had over a 1000 replies to this writting.

Canada
09-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Nope, I would not do articles with any of those losers, does that mean Fatlock is wrong all the time?

I dont know if he is wrong all the time, his writing makes me think he is an idiot. He writes stuff just to stir the pot. He is the Jerry Springer of sports writers, articles dont have to be accurate as long as he is calling someone a childish name. He may be right about some stuff but he sounds like such an idiot I choose not to read the crap he spews out.

Bike
09-25-2009, 04:00 AM
Whitlock is fat pig.

wildcat
09-25-2009, 09:36 AM
I completely disagree with Whitlock. I think most of the things that really hurt us were execution problems. It was Matt Cassel's fault that we did not get to try a field goal before the end of the half. That pass should have never been thrown. Hind site is 20/20 though, and we need to be patient with Matt.

As far as running verses passing on 3rd and 1 with under a minute and three time outs, Haley is a very good offensive coordinator. That means he is not always going to do the obvious thing. He cannot become predictable. When you are 3rd and 1 in 4 down territory, you have the option to pass and if you catch the defense off guard it could be a huge play.

This is way to early to say the Haley is being too hard on his players and that they are going to rebel. I see some good things happening. For example, Glenn Dorsey is starting to look like a 1st round draft pick.

It's pretty clear the Whitlock is really just mad because Pioli is more focused on football than pleasing the media.

dbolan
09-27-2009, 12:04 PM
All I gotta say is "Everybody" thought the Broncs would be the shat sack of the division but it is clearly apparent that they have done something right.

We don' have a real #1 WR and I have said it all along. Our RB situation is sketchy as is our O LINE.

Maybe they can turn it around. I sure hope so!

Maybe Lamerson will agree! LMFAO!!

Coach
09-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Journalist will doing anything to sensationlize themselves and their work. Fatlock is exhibit A.