PDA

View Full Version : I think it's pretty obvious now

Three7s
09-27-2009, 03:45 PM
If you can't tell after this one, then you're completely blind to the truth. This is a BAAAAAD team, offense, defense, everything. What's even worse is that Haley's playcalling is awful!

First I'll start with the offense. No blocking at all, no holes for LJ, but LJ himself has no burst, so he's not doing himself any favors. If Cassel, on rare occasions, actually gets time to throw, he IS a good and accurate QB, he just never gets time.

My biggest beef with the offense, at least today, was the playcalling. We were down by double digits almost the whole game and we hardly EVER threw the ball on 1st down. We even ran it three times in a row once! I thought Haley was supposed to be aggressive? What a joke.

Now for the defense. Our zone defense is awful. The slot receiver is always open, and usually for huge yardage. I do think our run defense has improved, but it doesn't matter because our coverage in the middle is awful. What's worse is we can't pick off a pass to save our lives! Of course, there are the obvious things like no pass rush and penalties, but all in all, this is a horrible team. We might win 3 games if we're lucky.

yashi
09-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Yeah.....

yeah.

Hayvern
09-27-2009, 03:50 PM
If you can't tell after this one, then you're completely blind to the truth. This is a BAAAAAD team, offense, defense, everything. What's even worse is that Haley's playcalling is awful!

First I'll start with the offense. No blocking at all, no holes for LJ, but LJ himself has no burst, so he's not doing himself any favors. If Cassel, on rare occasions, actually gets time to throw, he IS a good and accurate QB, he just never gets time.

My biggest beef with the offense, at least today, was the playcalling. We were down by double digits almost the whole game and we hardly EVER threw the ball on 1st down. We even ran it three times in a row once! I thought Haley was supposed to be aggressive? What a joke.

Now for the defense. Our zone defense is awful. The slot receiver is always open, and usually for huge yardage. I do think our run defense has improved, but it doesn't matter because our coverage in the middle is awful. What's worse is we can't pick off a pass to save our lives! Of course, there are the obvious things like no pass rush and penalties, but all in all, this is a horrible team. We might win 3 games if we're lucky.

I cannot be too hard on this team againt the Eagles. The Eagles are a great team. We, on the other hand are not a good team.

Well this one is over, close the book.

dad005
09-27-2009, 03:51 PM
3 wins? 3 wins would be great...I don't think there is a team in the NFL we can beat right now. I think there are Div. I teams that could beat us right now...terrible game.

Hayvern
09-27-2009, 03:53 PM
3 wins? 3 wins would be great...I don't think there is a team in the NFL we can beat right now. I think there are Div. I teams that could beat us right now...terrible game.

Yeah, but Todd says he could get 11 players off the street and win 2 games. So we have to win at least two... Don't we?

Three7s
09-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Yeah, but Todd says he could get 11 players off the street and win 2 games. So we have to win at least two... Don't we?
I thought it was 23!

bigpoppachief
09-27-2009, 04:38 PM
lol I will be happy with not going undefeated with the play calling today WTF where is that crazy pass throw loving coach ? I think they kill the real Todd haley and it's a Herm clone in disguise !

honda522
09-27-2009, 05:30 PM
I think everyone should assess Haley after he has completed a few season as head coach. It's not how you begin, its how you end.

Three7s
09-27-2009, 05:32 PM
I think everyone should assess Haley after he has completed a few season as head coach. It's not how you begin, its how you end.
I know that, I just don't like how a Coach can just throw in the towel in any game. It just doesn't send the right message for me.

Hayvern
09-27-2009, 05:34 PM

Well i he was fired tomorrow, he would have ended 0 - 3 as a head coach.

kcvet
09-27-2009, 06:06 PM
is it me or do we need a different kick off/punt return guy. its always run right up the middle.

Connie Jo
09-27-2009, 07:41 PM
What I think is, that we had a Chiefs team today show up expecting defeat, including coaches, so gave up before the game began, more or less. That's what it looked like to me. :(

okikcfan
09-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Supposed to be aggressive? How aggressive can u b with a team that plays the way they did today?

kcvet
09-27-2009, 08:06 PM
im old enough now I don't think ill see em win a SB before i croak :lol:

CHIEFS_FN_ROCK
09-27-2009, 10:41 PM
lol I will be happy with not going undefeated with the play calling today WTF where is that crazy pass throw loving coach ? I think they kill the real Todd haley and it's a Herm clone in disguise !
HELL YEAH YOU HIT THAT RIGHT ON THE HEAD... HES GONNA REVEAL HIS SELF ON A BUD LIGHT COMMECIAL DURING THE SUPERBOWL:lol: :bananen_smilies046:

CHIEFS_FN_ROCK
09-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Well at 0-3 he dont have nothing to lose. Now open it up and take shots down the field!

chief31
09-27-2009, 10:48 PM

That's a good point.

is it me or do we need a different kick off/punt return guy. its always run right up the middle.

I think we need to improve the blocking on our return teams. Been that way for awhile.

texaschief
09-27-2009, 11:02 PM
I just fail to see why you would fire an OC that had this team at the VERY LEAST competitive last season, to call plays like the ones that were called today.

Once again, I'm not jumping to a conclusion about Haley yet. This just isn't what I expected when he fired Haley as the OC. I expected a lot LESS of what we saw today instead of a lot MORE.

Three7s
09-27-2009, 11:06 PM
I just fail to see why you would fire an OC that had this team at the VERY LEAST competitive last season, to call plays like the ones that were called today.

Once again, I'm not jumping to a conclusion about Haley yet. This just isn't what I expected when he fired Gailey as the OC. I expected a lot LESS of what we saw today instead of a lot MORE.
Fixed! :D

texaschief
09-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Fixed! :D

Damn Freud. Thanks

Bike
09-27-2009, 11:15 PM

Once again, I'm not jumping to a conclusion about Haley yet. This just isn't what I expected when he fired Haley as the OC. I expected a lot LESS of what we saw today instead of a lot MORE.
Bring Chan back! He's still here in some capacity I think...

texaschief
09-27-2009, 11:16 PM

Man, you'd have to talk about a HUGE gulp of pride...

Bike
09-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Man, you'd have to talk about a HUGE gulp of pride...
Yeah I know that ship has sailed...

DT14PRIEST
09-28-2009, 12:17 AM
Still missing the whole smart and disciplined part of this culture change process.

I'm not bagging on management entirely yet but when 2 of the mainstays in their philosophy aren't being met in 'smart and disciplined' I think something is definitely wrong.

Hayvern
09-28-2009, 01:35 AM
I think it is time for Haley to take that huge gulp of pride, and hire an offensive coordinator to come in here. It does not have to be Gailey, heck, I would take Paul Hackett again (OK maybe not)

Seriously though, there has to be some football smart guys out there than can help Haley run this offense. The first thing I would do is start bringing back some of that spread offense that Gailey was running. Everyone, including the opposition knows that our OLine cannot hold up to pressure, so relieve that pressure.

It's funny how the mentality of this team is that the Spread is a gimic, yet teams like th Dolphins and Eagles are being successful with it as part of their play calling.

DT14PRIEST
09-28-2009, 02:24 AM
I think it is time for Haley to take that huge gulp of pride, and hire an offensive coordinator to come in here....

It's funny how the mentality of this team is that the Spread is a gimic, yet teams like th Dolphins and Eagles are being successful with it as part of their play calling.

I think its already been proven that while the Spread can work to a degree in the NFL a team who cannot run from under center in a basic pro sets will not succeed long term.

It might be a interim solution to the Chiefs woes for the season but once more its being proven in the NFL that while the spread had its flash the past couple of seasons its sizzle is starting to fizzle.

Dolphins are 0-3 and struggling, the Pats are moving back to more base under center sets, AZ struggles etc.

Edit: If anything I'd like to see Haley hire a QB coach and maybe appoint an OC in house and retain play calling if he wants to relieve the pressure of having to command 3 separate jobs at once.

Hell he could do what they did in AZ and just split the OC job into run game/pass game coords. and call plays himself. As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't care if he handed dual responsibility to Miur and Carthon if he wanted to mimic AZs coaching style as long as he just unloads some of the pressure.

KCMASS
09-28-2009, 10:48 AM
I agree...we are a mess! The O-line is flat out terrible. I don't understand...Brian Waters, Brandon Albert & Rudy Niswanger are soild players & this is what we get? I like Haley & I'll give him a wide berth this year, but next we really have to start showing some real improvement!

Chiefster
09-28-2009, 11:12 AM

First I'll start with the offense. No blocking at all, no holes for LJ, but LJ himself has no burst, so he's not doing himself any favors. If Cassel, on rare occasions, actually gets time to throw, he IS a good and accurate QB, he just never gets time...

Not disagreeing here, but what also facilitated a number of Cassel's passing problems is that he has a tendency to hang on to the ball much too long and yesterday was no different; that along with receivers inability to get open did not bode well for the passing game. JMHO

matthewschiefs
09-28-2009, 11:35 AM

Last I knew he was still going to be a part of the team. They never did say what he would be doing.

garciakcfan
09-28-2009, 11:44 AM
I think a lot of what happened yesterday was the obvious lack of offensive talent we have at the wr position and overall.... I really think Haley has no confidence in that group at all... On top of that No D Bowe, ill keep saying that the dumbest thing this franchise has ever done since ive been a fan is letting go of Tony G... What a security blanket he would be for Cassell right now... what a joke... im really disappointed right now

Drunker Hillbilly
09-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Not disagreeing here, but what also facilitated a number of Cassel's passing problems is that he has a tendency to hang on to the ball much too long and yesterday was no different; that along with receivers inability to get open did not bode well for the passing game. JMHO
Warner holds on to the ball longer than anyone in the NFL and he's a HOF'r. It's about having the smarts to deal with the situation IMO however when your O line collapses EVERY SINGLE SNAP.......I think anyone would be a bit gun shy!!!

Chiefster
09-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Warner holds on to the ball longer than anyone in the NFL and he's a HOF'r. It's about having the smarts to deal with the situation IMO however when your O line collapses EVERY SINGLE SNAP.......I think anyone would be a bit gun shy!!!

Well he's not one yet, but I agree with the asessment of the "O" line.

Seek
09-28-2009, 12:52 PM
I think Haley started calling runs, for three purposes.

A. you and I knew the game was over.... So did he. The defensive line was killing our offensive so line bad, Cassel was getting hit after his three step drop..Haley was calling runs to preserve Cassel.

B. He was calling run to work on things, and try out new plays. He turned it into a real life practice.

C. He just wanted to ge the game over, as did I.... Keep the game clock going.

the offensive line is just horrible. I thought Haley was creative. The lateral pass to Bradley to Charles. The reverse. Some of the run plays that were called back because of holds. There was good play calling. Just very poor execusion.

OPLookn
09-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Yes the Chiefs are getting lit up right now but did anyone really expect anything different from a 2-14 team that has this kind of first half schedule?

The record of the teams they've played is 6-3. On the 3 loss side of the 6-3, two of them are to 3-0 teams (Denver and New Orleans) and the other is to San Diego. We're going to get tee'd off on for the next 5 games too. I'm hoping to be 2-5 at the bye week but more than likely we'll be 1-6. We do play the Redskins after all...

I'm waiting for the second half of the season where Haley will have had some time to get players up to speed. They'll have some playing time together and we'll have a schedule that will be more realistic instead of looking like a schedule of the playoff teams this year. If they go 5-11 this year I'd be happy, we cut half of the team, we'll have good draft position and we'll know a lot more what we have for talent in the Haley scheme than when we started the year. Oh yeah and we still won't have Herm and Peterson riding this train into the ground.

Thoughts?

Drunker Hillbilly
09-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Well he's not one yet, but I agree with the asessment of the "O" line.

Rest assured he will be a first ballot HOF'r!!

Chiefster
09-28-2009, 01:35 PM

A. you and I knew the game was over.... So did he. The defensive line was killing our offensive so line bad, Cassel was getting hit after his three step drop..Haley was calling runs to preserve Cassel.

B. He was calling run to work on things, and try out new plays. He turned it into a real life practice.

the offensive line is just horrible. I thought Haley was creative. The lateral pass to Bradley to Charles. The reverse. Some of the run plays that were called back because of holds. There was good play calling. Just very poor execusion.

Good post!

Rep!

Drunker Hillbilly
09-28-2009, 01:51 PM

On point!!!!!!

IlovetheChiefs
09-28-2009, 09:03 PM

Yeah I've been disappointed in this area ever since we lost Dante Hall. Game after game it's always returns for 0-10 yards only. It's so frequent that I expect it to happen now. So sure enough, every single time the Eagles kicked to us we had neglible return yardage.

What I think is, that we had a Chiefs team today show up expecting defeat, including coaches, so gave up before the game began, more or less. That's what it looked like to me. :(

I can see how you'd think that. I do think they came into the game expecting htey could win though. I think they had to be encouraged by a 9 point line that became 7 by yesterday. And knowing Philly had been routed 48-22 last week. And without McNabb, Westbrook, and Curtis. Kolb threw 3 INTs last week. I think they had some hope in the beginning that Kolb could throw some more pics again. And when they had that one nice drive that had the touchdown (after 3 punts) they had the score at 14-7. So at least for a brief period there they must have been encouraged that they were back in the game.

I don't think there is a team in the NFL we can beat right now.

Remember we dominated the Faders last week and had em' 10-6 late in the game. And had Baltimore even at 24-24 late in the game IN Baltimore. I know those were still losses but we clearly COULD have won those. Yes, it was ugly yesterday. But it's one game. Just like Philly had an ugly game the prior week. And I most certainly think we can beat the Browns and Rams for goodness sake! And the Lions! (Just because they beat the deadskins at Detroit by 5 points is no reason to now say they would be a definite loss for us). We only play the Browns of those 3, but you said any team in the NFL so I'm just saying. And there are others too. Tampa Bay looks absolutely horrid this year. Leftwich at QB? No running backs. That team has taken a free fall. Watch for Philly to possibly beat them by a bigger margin in 2 weeks than they did us.

Yesterday was a big setback and our schedule the next few weeks is not encouraging. But we've got some new players and a new coach. It's not determined yet how our quality of play will be later in the season. Sure, after yesterday you have to be concerned that we may be in for another record like the past 2 years. I just don't think it's out of the question we do achieve more though.

drstandley31
09-28-2009, 11:37 PM
I thought we would we only 3 last year, and was wrong. This year I was thinking 5 or 6. WTF do I know. It's just going to take a long time to fill the roster with players. We're starting most guys that might be a back up on other teams. However, we do get to play cleveland and the lions, so there's hope for 2 games.

Connie Jo
09-28-2009, 11:57 PM
I can see how you'd think that. I do think they came into the game expecting htey could win though. I think they had to be encouraged by a 9 point line that became 7 by yesterday. And knowing Philly had been routed 48-22 last week. And without McNabb, Westbrook, and Curtis. Kolb threw 3 INTs last week. I think they had some hope in the beginning that Kolb could throw some more pics again. And when they had that one nice drive that had the touchdown (after 3 punts) they had the score at 14-7. So at least for a brief period there they must have been encouraged that they were back in the game.

I agree, there may have been some thought early in the game of playing to win. They sure lost it after that drive though, more or less.

Three7s
09-29-2009, 03:34 AM
I thought we would we only 3 last year, and was wrong. This year I was thinking 5 or 6. WTF do I know. It's just going to take a long time to fill the roster with players. We're starting most guys that might be a back up on other teams. However, we do get to play cleveland and the lions, so there's hope for 2 games.
We get to play the Lions? News to me.

AussieChiefsFan
09-29-2009, 04:16 AM
What's even worse is that Haley's playcalling is awful!

For sure!

He's calling to run the ball when we should obviously be trying to throw passes!

chief31
09-29-2009, 09:53 AM

Well, since actually don't get to play The Lions, that's one.

But The Redskins are coming up.:D

matthewschiefs
09-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Well, since actually don't get to play The Lions, that's one.

But The Redskins are coming up.:D

Yes they are :D

H-townChiefsFan
09-29-2009, 12:43 PM
I think it is safe to assume we will be 0-7 by the time the bye rolls around. Hope I'm wrong here, but the chiefs look pathetic.

OkieChief
09-29-2009, 07:06 PM

Agree 110%. These guys were awful before, they aren't going to change overnight. Frustrating that we had to go through Herm saying "just give him a chance" and here we are back at square 1... but let's give the new staff a couple of seasons to work it out.

Drunker Hillbilly
09-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Not happy with the results this far and don't think they will get any better as the season continue's but you have to give the guy and his staff a chance.

Coach
09-29-2009, 07:54 PM

Well said. At some point in the 3rd quarter, I had all of these thoughts.

chief31
10-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Agree 110%. These guys were awful before, they aren't going to change overnight. Frustrating that we had to go through Herm saying "just give him a chance" and here we are back at square 1... but let's give the new staff a couple of seasons to work it out.

No.

If they can't get two wins THIS season, then I call for Haley's job.

If he does manage at least two wins, then he can have another year. (As long as Cowher doesn't come knockin' on our door.):D