PDA

View Full Version : Todd Haley's Play Calling---

dad005
09-27-2009, 04:56 PM
PATHETIC!?

Running it constantly on 3rd and long? Losing the whole game and taking ZERO shots deep?

He deactivated Charles last week for no reason at all and boy did Jamaal make him (Haley) look stupid today even with his limited touches.

I think it's pretty obvious after 3 games that Haley has bit off way more than he can chew in naming himself Head Coach/Off. Coordinator/QB's/"Offensive Wizard"...yank yank.

Discuss...

majorwoody
09-27-2009, 05:01 PM
PATHETIC!?

Running it constantly on 3rd and long? Losing the whole game and taking ZERO shots deep?

He deactivated Charles last week for no reason at all and boy did Jamaal make him (Haley) look stupid today even with his limited touches.

I think it's pretty obvious after 3 games that Haley has bit off way more than he can chew in naming himself Head Coach/Off. Coordinator/QB's/"Offensive Wizard"...yank yank.

Discuss...
Haley who's haley thpight it was Todd edwards

chiefsfreak4life
09-27-2009, 05:17 PM
We ran on 3rd and 20, but threw on 3rd and 1.

WTF?

Drunker Hillbilly
09-27-2009, 05:37 PM
The O line was so pathetic it wouldn't have mattered who was calling plays!!! This team is in shambles!!!!!!!

brish
09-27-2009, 05:40 PM
How do you take shots down the field when the eagles can get 3 rushers in the backfield almost every down?
Seriously.. Grow a brain..

matthewschiefs
09-27-2009, 05:40 PM
How do you take shots down the field when the eagles can get 3 rushers in the backfield almost every down?
Seriously.. Grow a brain..

I 100% agree :sign0098:

dad005
09-27-2009, 05:42 PM
bring in more pass blockers. you don't have to send 5 receivers down the field and leave 5 in to block. which is what we did early on when on 3rd down we went UNDER CENTER with 5 wide and left 5 in pass pro. result - sack, 10 yd loss...

haley needs to grow a brain

matthewschiefs
09-27-2009, 05:47 PM
bring in more pass blockers. you don't have to send 5 receivers down the field and leave 5 in to block. which is what we did early on when on 3rd down we went UNDER CENTER with 5 wide and left 5 in pass pro. result - sack, 10 yd loss...

haley needs to grow a brain

Extra blockers would help somewhat. But that limits your weapons downfeild you are not getting a clear advantage doing that. Its not like there was one side of the line not doing there job. The WHOLE O line did not show up. Can you say Haleys responsable for that YES, but he did what he had to do for the team long term. Its easy to say take more chances down field but sometimes you just cant.

dad005
09-27-2009, 05:50 PM
i understand, but is it the smart thing to just roll over and take the loss? how else are we expected to come back? 18 pass attempts when trailing an entire game does not seem like an effective way to compete. I understand that some of those things are tough to do, but that is why he is paid millions to coach an professional football team and you and I are not.

Hayvern
09-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Well, Haley saw the same things we saw last year, he knew we did not have an offensive line last year, what did we do in the off season to correct that?

brish
09-27-2009, 06:21 PM
They still managed to penetrate our line several times when we were in a singleback, 2 TE formation (BIG I).. So more blockers doesn't always help.
Some of those run plays you scold, were actually very good runs (Jamaal Charles), but were taken back because of stupid penalties..
I do agree though, that we should have thrown the ball more. But our recievers didn't get open much, despite being covered man on man alot.
I had hoped we came out plaing dink n' dunk from shotgun in the second half tbh..
Cassel played pretty good under really bad terms..

matthewschiefs
09-27-2009, 06:21 PM
They brought in a couple of guys from Miami to try to help. It has not worked out so far but still a little early to say that was a bad move.

dad005
09-27-2009, 06:25 PM
They still managed to penetrate our line several times when we were in a singleback, 2 TE formation (BIG I).. So more blockers doesn't always help.
Some of those run plays you scold, were actually very good runs (Jamaal Charles), but were taken back because of stupid penalties..
I do agree though, that we should have thrown the ball more. But our recievers didn't get open much, despite being covered man on man alot.
I had hoped we came out plaing dink n' dunk from shotgun in the second half tbh..
Cassel played pretty good under really bad terms..
don't get me wrong, i thought that charles had some very nice runs, with 3 of them getting taken back due to penalties. I think he did a pretty good job with the line he had to work with!

But, do I think handing it to him on 3rd and 10+ is the best play call, regardless of much time in the pocket we have or don't have? No, I don't think that is a very good call.

I was impressed with Charles and have always been a fan of him, and was very confused/angry last week when he was made inactive for no good reason.

honda522
09-27-2009, 06:26 PM
I didn't get to catch much, but I thought i was pathetic. How the hell can the OL be that bad?

wolfpack
09-27-2009, 07:49 PM
I think Todd wanted to throw but everyone could see there was more eagles on our side of the ball than chiefs. Not only would have Cassel been put out for the year but so would have Brodie.

KCraised
09-27-2009, 08:00 PM
God D*mn, this team is pathetic....

brish
09-27-2009, 08:07 PM
We should have gone shotgun and atleast tried it out.. But I doubt it would have helped..

We made 10 penalties for 90 yards!!! 10!!

rustfan76
09-27-2009, 08:09 PM
I am not a coach, but I think running on 3rd and 25 was a decent call. And I also think passing on 3rd and 1 was a decent call. It's called trying to keep the d-fence guessing, it just didn't work well today. If you always run in short yardage and pass in 3rd and long situations you will never win a game. Let's remember this is only the THIRD GAME in the Pioli/Haley regime, and stop acting they are the worst GM/Coach tandem in the history of football. That distinction, I think belongs to someone else in the GREAT history of the this team

brish
09-27-2009, 08:14 PM
I am not a coach, but I think running on 3rd and 25 was a decent call. And I also think passing on 3rd and 1 was a decent call. It's called trying to keep the d-fence guessing, it just didn't work well today. If you always run in short yardage and pass in 3rd and long situations you will never win a game. Let's remember this is only the THIRD GAME in the Pioli/Haley regime, and stop acting they are the worst GM/Coach tandem in the history of football. That distinction, I think belongs to someone else in the GREAT history of the this team

Hear hear!!

Haley needs to improve, but Herm had 3 years before he got canned, atleast give haley some time too.

matthewschiefs
09-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Hear hear!!

Haley needs to improve, but Herm had 3 years before he got canned, atleast give haley some time too.

100% agree. Its far to early for all the bashing. :sign0098:

okikcfan
09-27-2009, 08:39 PM
He was in the shotgun a few times but still had no protection and no place to throw. It was sad, very sad. I for one had high hopes for this season, but after this game. well, I really don't expect much at all, infact they may not even show anymore games in my area. Hell they cut this one off in the third.

Stumplifter
09-27-2009, 09:53 PM
The Eagles brought pressure the entire game, they didn't let up.
The defensive play calling was just as bad as the offensive play calling. The entire 2nd half was played in some sort of 'damage control' mode.
We would only rush 4... and a lot of the time we were only rushing 3 with the rest of the defense in the soft zone.
Kolb could take a 3 step drop and stand there for 3-5 seconds before deciding where to throw it.
He is a young/inexperienced QB, we should have been bringing heat all day long.. force him to make bad decisions and mistakes.

josh1971
09-27-2009, 11:15 PM
I have to admit, I don't know a lot about Clancy Pendergast. Is he even a good D-Coordinator?

jb

texaschief
09-27-2009, 11:27 PM
A QB that holds the ball too long will make a poor OL look even worse. Cassel took way too long making his decisions. That was one of his knocks last season behind an OL that kept Tom Brady healthy for so long... but suddenly, that same OL gave up the 5th most sacks last season. This year, 4 of the 5 guys from that line have returned with the exception of their RG. Maybe it was that change at RG that has helped them give up only 1 sack in three games... more likely though, it's a decisive QB.

So while the OL does deserve a lot of criticism, Cassel doesn't get away scott free.

texaschief
09-27-2009, 11:29 PM
I have to admit, I don't know a lot about Clancy Pendergast. Is he even a good D-Coordinator?

jb

He sure is... he led the Cardinals to a 26th ranked defense last season!! The Cardinals were just nice enough to release him so we could snag him up to help us out a little bit.

Thanks Cards.

chief31
09-27-2009, 11:42 PM
I didn't get to catch much, but I thought i was pathetic. How the hell can the OL be that bad?

Well, all five of them seem to be struggling to do anything, if you ask me.

A QB that holds the ball too long will make a poor OL look even worse. Cassel took way too long making his decisions. That was one of his knocks last season behind an OL that kept Tom Brady healthy for so long... but suddenly, that same OL gave up the 5th most sacks last season. This year, 4 of the 5 guys from that line have returned with the exception of their RG. Maybe it was that change at RG that has helped them give up only 1 sack in three games... more likely though, it's a decisive QB.

So while the OL does deserve a lot of criticism, Cassel doesn't get away scott free.

But this is dead-on.

While the type of pressure that we allow is too much for any QB to take, Cassel is not a quick-acting QB...yet.

He will need to develop that skill to be effective here, unless that O-line changes alot, soon.

We are missing one pair of OTs. Albert can move inside, and Goff is suposed to be able to play C. (easier position) So, if we had a pair of OTs, I think we would be in good shape.

texaschief
09-27-2009, 11:51 PM
I just don't understand why they didn't protect their investment(s). You have a CRAPLOAD of money and chose to sit on it instead of improving? You chose to draft TWO DE's with your first two picks? I could understand one, but why the hell did they draft Magee instead of an OL?

Stumplifter
09-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Cassel is not a quick-acting QB...yet.

He will need to develop that skill to be effective here,

A lot of that development usually takes place in college... oh that's right, he didn't really "play" in college.

I guess we're watching his college developmental years happening right now. Here are his college stats. During his four seasons, Cassel completed 19 of 33 passes for 192 yards, with no touchdowns and one interception.

I'm not a Cassel hater, I just think that this might have been a knee jerk reaction to sign this guy to that kind of contract..... sheesh...

Bike
09-28-2009, 12:09 AM
I just don't understand why they didn't protect their investment(s). You have a CRAPLOAD of money and chose to sit on it instead of improving? You chose to draft TWO DE's with your first two picks? I could understand one, but why the hell did they draft Magee instead of an OL?
Yep. I don't understand a lot of things after this performance today...

chief31
09-28-2009, 12:27 AM
A lot of that development usually takes place in college... oh that's right, he didn't really "play" in college.

I guess we're watching his college developmental years happening right now. Here are his college stats. During his four seasons, Cassel completed 19 of 33 passes for 192 yards, with no touchdowns and one interception.

I'm not a Cassel hater, I just think that this might have been a knee jerk reaction to sign this guy to that kind of contract..... sheesh...

Well, when the announcement that we had made a deal for Cassel came through on this board, I think I was the loudest speaker against it. (Rather unpopular then, But my opinions usually are unpopular around here.)

And it wasn't because I thought/think Cassel was/is a bad QB. Just that we weren't going to be able to provide the same kind of support that he had in NE. Therefore, he wouldn't be able to do the same things.

Then, when discussing offering him a big extension, I hated the idea of paying top dollar for a player who almost certainly wouldn't be able to produce, and match his current value, the same as he had to make him seem like such a commodity.

To some degree, I agree with the concept of this being his "college development years". I feel like Cassel is, in effect, a rookie.

Last season is really the only experience he has. And that was in a damn good offense.

Now, he is in a pretty bad offense. He needs to learn how to play with that. Most QBs fail at learning to play in a bad offense and the offense just stays bad.

Year after year, we have the same problem on this offense. Poor blocking. (Same applies to our return team.) But it gets overlooked for the QB, HB and WRs.(Who can't play with bad blocking.)

Perhaps this will be the year when we actually recognize it, and address it in the offseason.

While I like that we actually selected an o-lineman in Brandon Albert, he was on OG, and we drafted him for another position.

We need to actually draft some OTs.

And releasing MacIntosh was a bad idea. He certainly wasn't great. But we could not afford to cut him. We didn't have the position filled properly.

honda522
09-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Dude, you know whats PATHETIC, I just watched the highlights and saw the first TD. It was Single back Iform double tight, with 1 wide left, 1 to the right

So thats 7 on the line right? Granite Philly had the line, but they came thru like a freight train. Somehow Cassel flipped it to Brady on the fad. How the hell can anyone play that bad? I mean 7 guys on that line and you cant get your QB more than 2 seconds?

Pause at 2:16 to see the formation.
YouTube - Chiefs vs. Eagles 9/27/09 Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQbHC0r2G7w)

texaschief
09-28-2009, 12:38 AM
And releasing MacIntosh was a bad idea. He certainly wasn't great. But we could not afford to cut him. We didn't have the position filled properly.

This seems to be the Haley calling card.

Bike
09-28-2009, 12:52 AM
And watching Loadholt doing a kick-a$$ job of protecting Favre just adds insult to injury...

honda522
09-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Well you can't say they didn't do anything, they signed alot of free agents for the OL, and even traded to N-duke-way.

texaschief
09-28-2009, 02:02 AM
Well you can't say they didn't do anything, they signed alot of free agents for the OL, and even traded to N-duke-way.

Well, then you're implying the un-utterable... Pioli isn't the talent evaluater we all hoped he was. I mean, we traded DRAFT PICKS for those guys... not to mention we spent a 5th rounder on a guy who mysteriously ended up on the IR.