PDA

View Full Version : Moves that can (and should) be made immediately

yashi
09-28-2009, 09:45 AM
We talk too much about what we should or shouldn't have done in the past. That doesn't help us now. Here's two moves that I think can make us a better football team immediately.

1. The offensive line needs to be completely blown up. Now.

For whatever reason, Pioli didn't land us a single impact offensive lineman in free agency. No point in harping on it at this point. Let's talk about what he can do now.

I'm pretty convinced that Brandon Albert is not an NFL left tackle. There's a reason that throughout 2008 draft preparation the experts were saying that he could be a pro bowl Guard, and can also play tackle. So let's just move him to Shields old spot and let him go to pro bowls, instead of be a liability at the most important position in football.

Start Alleman over Niswanger at C. Why not? Niswanger hasn't done anything positive.

Sign Jon Runyan and start him at RT within 2 weeks.

Sign Langston Walker to play LT. Hell, the Bills suck but they obviously saw something in him that made them think he'd be a pretty good starter at LT since they traded theirs to the Eagles.

Walker / Waters / Alleman / Albert / Runyan

Alternately, I wouldn't kill myself if we didn't sign Walker and went this route:

Albert / Waters / Alleman / Ndukwe / Runyan

Boom, new offensive line. Can't be any worse than our current one. Do it.

2. Jamaal Charles should be starting over LJ.

I don't care what anyone says. Charles has been a better running back than LJ from the moment he was drafted.

- He had 5.3 yards per carry last season to LJ's 4.5.
- He has 4.4 yards per carry this year to LJ's 2.5.
- He's a better pass blocker than LJ.
- He's a better pass catcher than LJ.
- He's faster and is a threat to break free.
- He's younger and will actually be on this team 2 years from now, unlike LJ who will definitely be cut at some point because of his contract versus his production.

Everyone says he has this major fumbling problem. Guess what? LJ had a fumble for every 20 attempts last season. Charles had 1 for every 35.

The other thing I hear is that he's a change of pace back and not a starter. Guess what? In his only significant action last season he had 18 carries for 106 yards (5.9 YPC).

Charles should be our Chris Johnson and LJ should be our LenDale White. Do it.

DMN
09-28-2009, 10:17 AM
I totally have to agree with you. LJ does not have the speed or hip swerve to get out of the backfield AT ALL. These third and long attempts are kiling us. We are 7 of 36 this season converting third down attempts. HAHA. Watching LJ fall down in the backfield for a loss is not cutting it. He should be traded for a draft pick immdiately... Even if its a sixth or seventh. He is done in KC. By the time we have an o line that is better than a college level he will be done anyway. He could still have some success with a new start somewhere else.

garciakcfan
09-28-2009, 10:43 AM
I got one better that doesnt include anyone being added or leaving... How about this team proving they are really professional football players and stop getting so many ****ing penalties!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially when they move the chains. Drive killers, and we seem to be really really good at that right now... We have no discipline and its killing us in games....

yashi
09-28-2009, 10:49 AM
I got one better that doesnt include anyone being added or leaving... How about this team proving they are really professional football players and stop getting so many ****ing penalties!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially when they move the chains. Drive killers, and we seem to be really really good at that right now... We have no discipline and its killing us in games....

That doesn't change the fact that the OL can't block whatsoever and LJ can't run the ball.

kcchiefs4life
09-28-2009, 10:49 AM
I agree with the o line statements. Something needs to be done NOW. Cassel is getting slammed around back there and has no time to make decent throws to any receivers at all. We paid him so much money, now let's PROTECT him. Alleman needs to be in at C NOW. Give it a shot, Niswanger is getting beat and he needs to know its not a given for him to start.
LJ is DONE. I think we could run a Charles/Savage or Battle combo that would work well. LJ isn't trying out there.
Seriously, its time to explore other options. Our schedule is ROUGH this year, and if something isn't done I don't see us winning any games. I missed the game yesterday, but when I checked my phone the first thing I saw was we were 0-10 for 3rd down conversions. We have to change something, and it has to start with the O line.

yashi
09-28-2009, 10:50 AM
I totally have to agree with you. LJ does not have the speed or hip swerve to get out of the backfield AT ALL. These third and long attempts are kiling us. We are 7 of 36 this season converting third down attempts. HAHA. Watching LJ fall down in the backfield for a loss is not cutting it. He should be traded for a draft pick immdiately... Even if its a sixth or seventh. He is done in KC. By the time we have an o line that is better than a college level he will be done anyway. He could still have some success with a new start somewhere else.

If LJ has any trade value then we obviously should, but I don't know that he does. But like I said, he can still be our LenDale White for running between the tackles and short yardage situations. Not that Jackie Battle isn't necessarily just as good, not to mention he's actually bigger than LJ.

garciakcfan
09-28-2009, 10:57 AM
That doesn't change the fact that the OL can't block whatsoever and LJ can't run the ball.

Sure it does... Think about the raider game and yesterday, **** all 3 games.. How many penalties after good first down pick ups.. 2nd and 25's??? The times that we are getting first downs are being negated by penalties.. It makes me sick to my stomach

Chiefster
09-28-2009, 11:26 AM
YouTube - DO IT, DO IT - full, perfect quality

Stumplifter
09-28-2009, 11:54 AM
After watching that clip for a bit I notice that Ben Stiller's character looks like Carl Peterson back in the day....even dresses like him!

brish
09-28-2009, 12:24 PM

Good post Yashi, you are definately right, that something has to be done.

Pioli / Haley elected to fix the defense this offseason, I won't say that Jackson has made much of an impact.. Yet..

I never understood why Alleman wasn't given any time at center, but they must have their reasons. Im just annoyed that i don't know anything about the guy.. Because i know Niswanger isn't getting it done..

I would definately like to see more of the other runningbacks, with our line we need a back that can at the very least get to the LoS before the blocking breaks down. LJ has lost a step..
I think LJ has had his chance, and that we should give more snaps to the other backs.

Does anyone know whats up with Kolby Smith? He has been injured forever..!

Also the horrible coverage over the middle has to be fixed!! Same with the rush.. I can't believe we can't manage to slip a single rusher in there, when we send the house..

Crawdadr
09-28-2009, 12:47 PM
I agree LJ has lost some as he has gotten older. But realy I do not see any back doing the job until the line is fixed. Better to beat on LJ and not waste our other backs on futile plays that could get them hurt. Make the guy earn his pay check and save our young talent for next year.

Bosco
09-28-2009, 05:15 PM
i agree on the line, but no running back is going to do us anygood untill the line is fixed.

Isawa_mo
09-28-2009, 05:33 PM
I do like your suggestions Yashi. While I am not convinced they are going to bring someone in, I think there is very solid reasoning in moving Albert back to his strong position. That also leaves the flexibility of moving him back to LT or even better RT in emergencies. Who we fill the left tackle position with, I am not sure.

Its funny, but right when LJ fumbled on Sunday, I could not help but think: "that should be the guy you cut to make an example of". Do I think it will happen? NO. However, Haley should at least give Charles the chance.

wolfpack
09-28-2009, 05:34 PM
What makes me mad is they knew the oline was bad when both were hired but didnt do anything to fix it. To me this is as much our cheap owners fault as the other two`s.

chiefnut
09-28-2009, 05:36 PM
the pressure on cassel came off both ends not up the middle, nisewanger has done allright. the problem is at both tackles

dbolan
09-28-2009, 05:43 PM
We talk too much about what we should or shouldn't have done in the past. That doesn't help us now. Here's two moves that I think can make us a better football team immediately.

1. The offensive line needs to be completely blown up. Now.

For whatever reason, Pioli didn't land us a single impact offensive lineman in free agency. No point in harping on it at this point. Let's talk about what he can do now.

I'm pretty convinced that Brandon Albert is not an NFL left tackle. There's a reason that throughout 2008 draft preparation the experts were saying that he could be a pro bowl Guard, and can also play tackle. So let's just move him to Shields old spot and let him go to pro bowls, instead of be a liability at the most important position in football.

Start Alleman over Niswanger at C. Why not? Niswanger hasn't done anything positive.

Sign Jon Runyan and start him at RT within 2 weeks.

Sign Langston Walker to play LT. Hell, the Bills suck but they obviously saw something in him that made them think he'd be a pretty good starter at LT since they traded theirs to the Eagles.

Walker / Waters / Alleman / Albert / Runyan

Alternately, I wouldn't kill myself if we didn't sign Walker and went this route:

Albert / Waters / Alleman / Ndukwe / Runyan

Boom, new offensive line. Can't be any worse than our current one. Do it.

2. Jamaal Charles should be starting over LJ.

I don't care what anyone says. Charles has been a better running back than LJ from the moment he was drafted.

- He had 5.3 yards per carry last season to LJ's 4.5.
- He has 4.4 yards per carry this year to LJ's 2.5.
- He's a better pass blocker than LJ.
- He's a better pass catcher than LJ.
- He's faster and is a threat to break free.
- He's younger and will actually be on this team 2 years from now, unlike LJ who will definitely be cut at some point because of his contract versus his production.

Everyone says he has this major fumbling problem. Guess what? LJ had a fumble for every 20 attempts last season. Charles had 1 for every 35.

The other thing I hear is that he's a change of pace back and not a starter. Guess what? In his only significant action last season he had 18 carries for 106 yards (5.9 YPC).

Charles should be our Chris Johnson and LJ should be our LenDale White. Do it.

Amen to this post and btw....I was a caller for Charles to be the starter a long time ago. These guys get more beat up taking 5 balls a game than 20. They need reps to get a rhythm. Look at Sproles for SD...LMAO..He is the smallest guy in the league!

brish
09-28-2009, 06:18 PM
the pressure on cassel came off both ends not up the middle, nisewanger has done allright. the problem is at both tackles

Oh the plowed through the middle too.. On numerous occasions!
I can't remember who missed those blocks, but it wasn't all off the edges.

KottkeKU
09-28-2009, 06:58 PM
if we sign walker or runyan, they have to learn a whole new playbook, and earn chemistry with the rest of the line....the only reason we traded for alleman and ndukwe is bc they ran a similar system in MIA, and are serviceable on the line (thats why we only gave up a 5th rounder...)...

we are stuck with the current line guys. runyan is totally washed up and injury prone, and Walker is just another band-aid....he is not going to be any better than what we currently have as hard as it is to believe...

and as far as LJ, a runningback is only as good as the offensive line...its really that simple. Charles cannot be an every down back, and LJ has made some good runs in my opinion...he may be a little slower than some of the others, but alot of it has to do with the O-line, quarterback, coaching, and defenses we have faced thus far...LJ will only improve from here on out, especially after NYG and the bye week...

texaschief
09-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Runyan is just Turley part two. No thanks. Give O'Callahan his shot.

honda522
09-28-2009, 08:46 PM
This post rocks.

pbatrucker
09-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Good post! CHANGES MUST BE MADE!! O"Callaghan has been moved into starting RT. Agree that LJ has lost a step, give the young guys a shot.

yashi
09-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Good post! CHANGES MUST BE MADE!! O"Callaghan has been moved into starting RT. Agree that LJ has lost a step, give the young guys a shot.

I just saw that with O'Callaghan... hopefully he doesn't disappoint.

josh1971
09-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Good to see that O'Callaghan has been moved up to starting RT

But we're not only losing games based on LJ (hardly HIS fault) and the O-line. A knitting grandmother could feel safe in the pocket against our front 7. And since we seem to be expert marksmen at shooting ourselves in the feet with penalties, there's more going on than just blocking and running.

We pretty thoroughly suck. Maybe Haley *did* get 22 guys off the street...

Honestly, DJ has played great this year, and been treated like Doo-doo by the coach. It's kind of odd.

And how many times have we heard him say that you want to have the players on the field that give you the best chance to win. Well... do that, and let them run plays that will give us a chance to win.

kilobytes
09-28-2009, 11:26 PM
If LJ actually tried 100% the games would be closer. I think is definitely better than Charles who is injury prone btw. LJ needs more screen passes. This way we are less predictable. LJ can be really good if we gave him the ball more often. Charles is only good in spurts like Sproles.
I completely agree with your O line statement and think its a great idea. I didn't know Albert was a Guard.

drstandley31
09-28-2009, 11:42 PM
So, Albert's not an NFL tackle.. Well good thing we traded Allen for the draft pick! God knows we had too many DE's hanging around.

rbedgood
09-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Just a thought....but if you want to move Albert into the middle and have a pro bowl Guard, why not give LJ a chance behind a road grader...that's what he needs to break loose is a guy to clear the middle. DEs are ineffective at stopping an up the middle run if the middle is cleared.

HAILTO
09-28-2009, 11:55 PM
MADD thanks to all of you! I am a rookie on the Practice Squad. However, I know a few things about Football, and I will never stop working to serve Our Chiefs.
Cassel is not our man. Watch his mannerism when he takes a Sack and when his receiver fails to make the catch. In either case, Cassel is discouraged. Thiggy is our man.
Tyler does not get discouraged, rather Tyler steps up!
If you disagree, bring it! I am just a rookie on the Practice Squad.

honda522
09-29-2009, 12:10 AM
We need a really freakin center.

honda522
09-29-2009, 12:11 AM
MADD thanks to all of you! I am a rookie on the Practice Squad. However, I know a few things about Football, and I will never stop working to serve Our Chiefs.
Cassel is not our man. Watch his mannerism when he takes a Sack and when his receiver fails to make the catch. In either case, Cassel is discouraged. Thiggy is our man.
:sign0104:

kilobytes
09-29-2009, 12:13 AM
I agree the QB position should have been a fair fight. Thigpen was impressive last year. Just folded under pressure but that stuff gets better the more experience you have. Plus Thigpen is a better suit for the team right now. Very durable and a good scrambler. The Cassel trade I was furious with. Way too much money for someone who is possibly not any better than what we have.

HAILTO
09-29-2009, 12:22 AM
KILOBYTS,

Just do the math. LJ is finished. It's not that complicated. Larry had a great run (once upon a time). However, Larry spent the last two years choosing to hit women. Newsflash! The D-Line hits back. As a result, Larry sucks.
Jackie Battle is our future. Thiggy is our future. Haley is our future. Time will prove or disprove me. Well done, and thank you for your opinion.

josh1971
09-29-2009, 12:29 AM
Jackie Battle and Tyler Thigpen are the future in KC...

Herm... is that you?

I don't know if Cassel is the future, or really even the present, but our problems really aren't at QB or RB right now- it's the monsters in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Had we a good O-line, both LJ and Jamaal would be doing quite well, and with time, any passer we had back there would be racking up the stats.

It's our lines, plain and simple.

Chiefster
09-29-2009, 12:48 AM
:sign0104:

:lol:

Bike
09-29-2009, 10:23 AM
I agree the QB position should have been a fair fight. Thigpen was impressive last year. Just folded under pressure but that stuff gets better the more experience you have. Plus Thigpen is a better suit for the team right now. Very durable and a good scrambler. The Cassel trade I was furious with. Way too much money for someone who is possibly not any better than what we have.
Kinda early to tell just yet, but Sanchez is looking damn good so far. But then again, he probably has an OC and QB coach to help him out, not to mention a HC not screaming in his ear all the time...

chief31
09-29-2009, 10:52 AM

The pressure came from everywhere, including the middle.

ALot of that is that the new O-line needs time to "gel". It almost always happens that way.

Just a thought....but if you want to move Albert into the middle and have a pro bowl Guard, why not give LJ a chance behind a road grader...that's what he needs to break loose is a guy to clear the middle. DEs are ineffective at stopping an up the middle run if the middle is cleared.

I agree with the theory. But I hink Haley will be he problem then.

He is all pass, and no run. And making it to the Super Bowl with that, has likely convinced him that his offensive scheme is right.

I didn't care for the trade. But it was the big contract extension that really drove me nuts.

Anyway, I know a guy who could play ROT for us.

He's no prize, by any means. But he did a decent job in pass protection in '08 at ROT. And he is available.

Damion McIntosh (http://www.nfl.com/players/damionmcintosh/profile?id=MCI434851)