PDA

View Full Version : Have the chiefs improved or gone backwards

matthewschiefs
09-29-2009, 03:52 PM
I have read alot and Heard alot of fans already talking that the chiefs are worse then they were a year ago. I could not disagree more. The Chiefs are 0-3 right now that is the truth but sometimes theres more to look at then just A teams record. Lets look at some things that have happend so far.

Game 1 at the ravens. The chiefs were tied with a much better football team then they are with 2 minuits left. Yes they allowed that game to slip away but if your compareing this to last years team this is not a step backwards. The chiefs lost a lot of tight ball games so if anything this team at the very least stayed even with last year.

Game 2 vs the raiders simply put the Chiefs should have won this game by at least 10 points. They OUTPLAYED the raiders in every aspect of the game. There Youth got to them. Young teams make dumb penalties thats what we saw at the home opener. Penalties are something we saw last year from this team also however there were not many games that the chiefs could say they should have won by 10 points or more. I belive that this is a slight improvement all be it the result was still a loss.

Game 3 at the Eagles. This was an embarrisment for the chiefs. But lets not pretend that there were not these games over the past few season. Last year the chiefs went to Atlanta and were embarrised. Lets not all pretend that the chiefs were In every game a year ago. The Bill embarrised the chiefs as did the Bengals in the final game. So I realy dont see this as an clear MAJOR step backwards when we are talking about a year ago. Yes its a step back but its not like this team was tearing it up the last couple of seasons.

The remaing games this season will truely tell If the Chiefs are a better football team. If the Chiefs could pull off a win or 2 against the 3 NFC east teams that would be a MAJOR step forward. Washington is the more likely win. As they do not look nearly as good as some thought that they were. I thought they would be much better and i didnt have them in the playoffs. But I think there is far to much doom and gloom going around about this team. Maybe i am just trying to be postive but its 3 games in. This team won 2 games a year ago. Its not a clear answer right now. Lets all just be patent and let the season playout. Then we can all jump off the bridge.

Hayvern
09-29-2009, 04:37 PM
I don't think they have gone backwards, but improve they have not.

I am sorry, I thought I was done harping on this, but this team is no better than it was last year at any point in the season, in some cases they are much worse.

Where I say they are worse is in the coaching, last year we made adjustments to give these guys a fighting chance on the team. We went to the spread with Thigpen and that was completely Gailey's idea, Herm gets NO kudos for that because he laughed about the change when it was first introduced.

This team is not making those adjustments, Haley has this ego that says you do it the way I want it done, or you don't play. THe problem is these guys may not physically or mentally be able to do it that way, that doesn't mean they cannot do a good job in another fashion though.

Ultimately, where we are worse this season is in the coaching ego of this team. Last year we were not as bad because Herm at least would listen to what his people was telling him he needed to do. Herm made bad game call decisions and was not good at mentally preparing the team to play.

This year, we have less coaching staff to call on, and a head coach that won't seem to listen to anyone around him, who also makes bad game calling decisions.

Wait, did I just say something good about Edwards?

loyalchief91
09-29-2009, 04:59 PM
We haven't gone backwards yet, just one horrible showing against Philadelphia.. The chiefs are making minimal progress though if any.

yashi
09-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Our defense is improved, that's for sure. Offense is a mess.

KottkeKU
09-29-2009, 05:09 PM
our defense still sucks. Improved? Maybe against the Raiders lol... (one of the worst teams ever...which we still managed to lose to..)

Drunker Hillbilly
09-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Answer your own question after week 5 or 6.

yashi
09-29-2009, 06:10 PM
our defense still sucks. Improved? Maybe against the Raiders lol... (one of the worst teams ever...which we still managed to lose to..)

It still counts. Look up the stats, we are now middle of the pack in both passing and rushing, and we were right at the bottom last year.

honda522
09-29-2009, 07:28 PM
They have improved at QB and LB for sure. As a team it seems like we are almost going backwards.

Big Daddy Tek
09-29-2009, 08:34 PM
If you look at this team now and this team a year ago right now, its not even comparable. OK, in the win columnn it is. But unlike many of you, I dont agree that improvement is measured in wins and losses, especially when you have the murderous schedule that we do. Last year in week 2, we were completly blowin out by the Raiders and this year we man handled them for four quarters. The Atlanta and Carolina games last year were far more embarrasing than this Eagles game was this year and they didnt have to prepare for the wildcat all week in those games.

The Chiefs eventually adapted and got better last year, playing a bunch of teams close towards the end. If this team see's that same improvement or more, which they will, than we can expect some wins after Murderers row (week 6).