PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs sign TE Leonard Pope

yashi
09-29-2009, 06:32 PM
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/4481368402

Chiefs signed TE Leonard Pope, formerly of the Cardinals.

Pope will be re-united with Todd Haley. While his receiving potential is higher than any tight end currently on the roster, his poor blocking will keep him from seeing significant playing time.

From Rotoworld.

imcorrect
09-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Brad Cottom will be gone soon

DMN
09-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Man I would hate to see cottam go. I had high hopes for him. What about that jake o'connell guy... does he really show any more potential than cottam? But I see why Pope was brought in. More of an offensive threat type to open up the middle of the field.

pbatrucker
09-29-2009, 06:54 PM
O'connel wiill probabally be the one to go.

stricken721
09-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Good signing.

yashi
09-29-2009, 07:18 PM
O'Connell has been nothing short of terrible in every way. But Pioli drafted him and not Cottam, so who knows.

honda522
09-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Can he atleast block?

Drunker Hillbilly
09-29-2009, 07:39 PM
He doesn't do much of anything good!! I've watched him since he's been in Az. Not impressed.

pbatrucker
09-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Can he atleast block?
Blocking is not his strong suit. However he is a better reciever than the TE's we have.

honda522
09-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Blocking is not his strong suit. However he is a better reciever than the TE's we have.
I could give rats *** if can catch slightly better than O'Connell. I want a guy who can block so maybe we can get a run game going.

josh1971
09-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Gotta agree with honda here- we've had our current TEs catch a couple touchdowns this year. We need one that can block so that LJ and JC can get some running lanes!

honda522
09-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Whatever happen to Haley not using his TE's for catching anyways?

DT14PRIEST
09-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Whatever happen to Haley not using his TE's for catching anyways?

found out no body could catch at all

McLovin
09-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Personally I hate a move to pick up a TE who cant block, not knocking Pope but if he in fact cant block this sucks.

TG was not only a great catching TE but also a great blocking TE if it wasn't for TG the O-Line (that was really really stout, would have been a little weaker.

josh1971
09-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Personally I hate a move to pick up a TE who cant block, not knocking Pope but if he in fact cant block this sucks.

TG was not only a great catching TE but also a great blocking TE if it wasn't for TG the O-Line (that was really really stout, would have been a little weaker.

And Tony G could block punts.:D

Chiefster
09-29-2009, 11:39 PM
I like how Haley and Pioli is at least trying to address the glaring need on our "O" line.

AkChief49
09-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Strengths: As a pass catcher, Pope has shown some promise. He's tall enough to be a legitimate threat in the red zone and at least has some speed to run down the seem and stretch defenses. His hands can be spotty but his size will always create match ups problems for opposing defenses, if you can establish him as a weapon.

Weaknesses: Everything pertaining to the mental side of the game has caused him problems through his first three seasons. He was infamously known for false start penalties, holding calls and just making the biggest mistakes at the most critical points in a game. His height, while a strength in the red zone, virtually eliminates his effectiveness as a blocker. He simply can not get low enough to get under the pads of a defender and he's not strong enough to keep them at bay once they stand him up.

brish
09-30-2009, 04:03 PM
I had kind of hoped that Lance Long had been promoted to the 53 man roster, i've read some good things about him.
I'd also liked to have heard something about Mark Tauscher..

rodu
09-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Weaknesses: Everything pertaining to the mental side of the game has caused him problems through his first three seasons. He was infamously known for false start penalties, holding calls and just making the biggest mistakes at the most critical points in a game. His height, while a strength in the red zone, virtually eliminates his effectiveness as a blocker. He simply can not get low enough to get under the pads of a defender and he's not strong enough to keep them at bay once they stand him up.

kewl, he'll fit right in with all of those penalties

Stumplifter
09-30-2009, 07:12 PM
MORE N.E. players? It's not like we're getting the top tier N.E. players either...

The Chiefs filled their roster vacancies by signing linebacker David Herron and cornerback Mike Richardson. Not surprisingly, both players have ties to the New England Patriots.

pbatrucker
09-30-2009, 08:27 PM
MORE N.E. players? It's not like we're getting the top tier N.E. players either...

The Chiefs filled their roster vacancies by signing linebacker David Herron and cornerback Mike Richardson. Not surprisingly, both players have ties to the New England Patriots.

But they do add team speed, improve the backend of the roster and are good special team players.

yashi
09-30-2009, 08:45 PM
yeah. Really if you're not a starter or rotation guy, all that matters is if you're good on special teams. Case in point: Jon McGraw.