PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought....

honda522
09-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Since we are having problems with the OL and Cassel's protection...a somewhat easy solution would be throwing quick outs and quick slants. Easy throws for short quick gains.

Drunker Hillbilly
09-30-2009, 11:11 PM
That would make us even more one dimensional than we are now!

josh1971
09-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Those types of plays would be nice, but we need to throw some play action passes and get those defenses stretched out- back out of the box.

I would also say we need to be running some screens, since those require letting the defense into the backfield.

Stumplifter
09-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Well, last year our OC adjusted our offense to cater to our talent pool (Tyler Thigpen)... the 'pistol' offense.
So I'm sure we'll have no problem adjusting again to.... oh wait... that OC isn't here anymore.
And either is that mobile QB.

Oh well, I guess we'll move forward with the same offensive line and an immobile QB.... I'm sure the opposing defenses won't pick up on the fact that Cassel can't scramble and bring the heat every single play.

honda522
09-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Those types of plays would be nice, but we need to throw some play action passes and get those defenses stretched out- back out of the box.

I would also say we need to be running some screens, since those require letting the defense into the backfield.
Our screens this year look like dog s**t, Priest is embarrassed.

Anyways, I say find something that works and stay consistence. Thats been our problem, we find something that works and move on to try something else.

honda522
09-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Well, last year our OC adjusted our offense to cater to our talent pool (Tyler Thigpen)... the 'pistol' offense.
So I'm sure we'll have no problem adjusting again to.... oh wait... that OC isn't here anymore.
And either is that mobile QB.

Oh well, I guess we'll move forward with the same offensive line and an immobile QB.... I'm sure the opposing defenses won't pick up on the fact that Cassel can't scramble and bring the heat every single play.

How is Cassel not moblie? You do realize that he had the most rush yards for a QB besides our thiggy last year right. Of course on that knee its probably slowing him down.

Hayvern
10-01-2009, 04:49 AM
Since we are having problems with the OL and Cassel's protection...a somewhat easy solution would be throwing quick outs and quick slants. Easy throws for short quick gains.

That is what we are trying to do now... Since most defenses know we cannot go deep, they cover those sorts of plays.

AS I said, the same as last year, you put nine men in the box, you stop the run dead and you easily shut down out offense. We have to get some protection for the QB before we go any further.

drstandley31
10-01-2009, 09:25 AM
How is Cassel not moblie? You do realize that he had the most rush yards for a QB besides our thiggy last year right. Of course on that knee its probably slowing him down.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Guy ran his a$$ off on a bum knee. He's got wheels, I'm no worried about that. Just needs some time to set up and throw, and we're a long way from that right now.

yashi
10-01-2009, 09:58 AM
We need to throw more short passes on first down, no doubt about it. 3rd and 9 is impossible to convert consistently.

captainamerica
10-01-2009, 11:16 AM

You do know that in order for play action passes to work defenses have to actually respect the teams running game, right? I may be going out on a limb here, but I think it's safe to say that LJ's amazing 2.5 yards per carry average doesn't exactly strike fear into the hearts of defenders. Also in order for screen passes to work you have to actually have a competent O-line.

obsessed
10-01-2009, 11:37 AM
You do know that in order for play action passes to work defenses have to actually respect the teams running game, right? I may be going out on a limb here, but I think it's safe to say that LJ's amazing 2.5 yards per carry average doesn't exactly strike fear into the hearts of defenders. Also in order for screen passes to work you have to actually have a competent O-line.

That actually works both ways. you can setup a lot off play action and if you are successful at running play action it can open the running game. I think we need to start throwing some sideline fades as well as slants. Something to get the defense to have to play the safety deeper and keep him off the line.

honda522
10-01-2009, 12:19 PM
We need to throw more short passes on first down, no doubt about it. 3rd and 9 is impossible to convert consistently.
Well of course.

Coach
10-01-2009, 10:31 PM

I also would like to see more use of the screen plays. Its an easy way to exploit the overly aggressive pass rush that everyone is throwing at us. Secondly, Cassell needs to work on selling the play action pass. He is just going through the motions and its fooling nobody. All it does is give him even less time in the pocket to survey the field. If you are going to fake the run, then make it look legit. Right now it looks silly.

Lastly, does anyone else want to see Cassell in the shotgun a little more often. If we know he doesn't have very much time to make decisions, why can't we give him as much time as possible?

I would love to see us come out and run the entire first series in a no-huddle shotgun formation. The offense always has the advantage when running no-huddle. It is the great equalizer when it comes to a pass rush because they can't rotate defensive personel. Haley, are you listening. Try a NO HUDDLE series already.

honda522
10-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Lastly, does anyone else want to see Cassell in the shotgun a little more often.

Oh HELL Yeah. 90% of the plays NE ran last year with Cassel was from the Gun.

Polleo Pit Man
10-02-2009, 12:13 AM
[quote= the fact that Cassel can't scramble

i think cassel has done a good job of running and not has ran away from many sacks thus far. he is way mobile than a guy thinks.:toast2:

Polleo Pit Man
10-02-2009, 12:17 AM
bottom line imo is penalties have KILLEd our chances of a win. look back at all the gains that have been ripped away by a stupid penalty that didnt have anything to do with the gain.....gain that came back! we are better than we hurt ourselves to be! DISCIPLINE!

Chiefster
10-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Agreed with what's been said; we need to have an offensive scheme that lends itself toward aiding a terrible offensive line.

Isawa_mo
10-02-2009, 08:49 AM
To me it looks like they are not wanting to go to the spread, because they are still evaluating what they have. The spread would just mask deficiencies, and they are wanting to see the problems, so they can fix them, not mask the problems. That is why they are preaching "just do your job" so often. Right now, I think we still have guys that are trying to not only cover their duties, but also the guy next to them.

pbatrucker
10-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Everyone has good points. Hopefully we will see the offense open up just a little!!!

honda522
10-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Agreed with what's been said; we need to have an offensive scheme that lends itself toward aiding a terrible offensive line.
:bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
10-03-2009, 01:54 AM
Everyone has good points. Hopefully we will see the offense open up just a little!!!

Yup!

:bananen_smilies046:

Back at ya! :bananen_smilies046: