PDA

View Full Version : LJ not sure about Week 1

rbedgood
08-23-2007, 02:17 AM
Aug. 22, 3:44 p.m.
Pulled from The Sporting News...also saw this story on other sources

http://i.tsn.com/i/p/fantasy/icons/updated.gif http://i.tsn.com/i/p/fantasy/icons/plus_minus.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:ow('/nfl/chooser/oneclick.html?player_id=6363','playerModify','stat us=0,scrollbars=yes,resizable=0,width=525,height=4 00')) Larry Johnson (http://javascript<b></b>:op(6363)) - RB (http://fantasysource.sportingnews.com/nfl/positions/rb/) (rank: 2), Kansas City (http://fantasysource.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/chiefs/index.html)

Johnson told AP he doesn't believe he'll be ready for a full role during Week 1 against the Texans. "Obviously, coaches are going to do a great job trying to get me on track to where week two or week three of the season I can hit my full stride," he said. "I'm going to try pick up as fast as I can."
Fantasy Source spin: For the money he got, he ought to be ready. Fantasy owners would agree. Even a half-capacity LJ is worth a start against the Texans.
Next 3: http://i.tsn.com/i/p/fantasy/icons/up.gif@HOU (http://fantasysource.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/texans/index.html) (20th in run defense; 122.2 ypg), http://i.tsn.com/i/p/fantasy/icons/down.gif@CHI (http://fantasysource.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/bears/index.html), http://i.tsn.com/i/p/fantasy/icons/even.gifMIN (http://fantasysource.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/vikings/index.html). Bye week: 8 http://i.tsn.com/i/p/fantasy/icons/h2h_icon.gif (http://fantasysource.sportingnews.com/nfl/players/6363/matchups/1.html)

:mob: Not sure what he means by not ready for a full role...

Guru
08-23-2007, 03:26 AM
Great SPIN piece there.

rbedgood
08-23-2007, 04:10 AM
So are you saying LJ is trying to downplay his readiness, as if that'll catch the Texans offguard?! Or are you saying he's trying to lower expecations as he realizes his Oline and QB situation suck...

This will probably all make sense in the morning, but I'm confused...who is "spinning" what?

Guru
08-23-2007, 04:24 AM
I will be SHOCKED if LJ is not the feature back for week one. I expect him to take at least 20 carries.

chief31
08-23-2007, 09:59 AM
I will be SHOCKED if LJ is not the feature back for week one. I expect him to take at least 20 carries.

DITTO!

wolfpack
08-23-2007, 10:12 AM
i think he`ll carry it 25 times,bennet 20 times,crolye half a dozen (from running for his life) and we`ll throw a half dozen times.

Sweets
08-23-2007, 10:25 AM
All LJ is saying is that he's not 100% up to playing mode, that's not to say he's not in excellent shape but he hasn't been doing the 2 a days that the rest of the team has been doing and you all should know he's never been one to come out full speed out of the blocks, by his 2nd or 3rd game he'll be tearing it up out there.

Chiefster
08-23-2007, 07:34 PM

Same here! :)

sling58
08-24-2007, 08:10 AM
He will take 20-25 carries and with our O-line he will be hit 15 times in the backfield but he will be ready for week 1. I say go LJ.

Chiefster
08-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Great SPIN piece there.

Agreed; I got dizzy just reading it.

rbedgood
08-29-2007, 12:39 PM
If he gets 20-25 carries in week 1 @ Houston he won't get hit in the backfield 15 times...now week 2 when he faces a real defense the backfield hits may become an issue

swmochiefsfan
08-29-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm afraid with the line we have and if Svitek is in there expect him to take some punishment.

rbedgood
08-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Yeah, but we are still talking about Houston...it's Houston...we're not talkin' 'bout an All-pro defensive team..we talkin' 'bout Houston. It's not like we haven't seen college teams with better defense...

Sorry Allen Iverson took over my keyboard...

Seriously though...Houston??

swmochiefsfan
08-29-2007, 12:59 PM
underestimated teams scare me

rbedgood
08-29-2007, 01:03 PM
If the KC coaching staff is smart...the run a couple plays and then set up Mario Williams on a screen to LJ...having watched him some this preseason Williams is so eager to prove he can rusn the passer he overpursues and loses his lane assignments on run plays. With the right play calls they can soften that defense for the run. Also Houston has a horrible O-line also...

swmochiefsfan
08-29-2007, 01:08 PM
I feel good about our D-line, hope they have a great game, got a feeling they will need to make plays..still I think we win this one.

Chiefster
08-29-2007, 01:13 PM
I feel good about our D-line, hope they have a great game, got a feeling they will need to make plays..still I think we win this one.

...Hope you're right. If we do win it will be pretty much up to the defense I think.

swmochiefsfan
08-29-2007, 01:15 PM
...Hope you're right. If we do win it will be pretty much up to the defense I think.
absofrekinlutly

Chiefster
08-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Huston or not, I have a bad feeling that our O-line will make even the worst defense appear stellar.

swmochiefsfan
08-30-2007, 01:15 PM
We shall see brother.

Chiefster
08-30-2007, 01:23 PM
We shall see brother.

Yep! Time will tell.:11:

rbedgood
08-30-2007, 01:30 PM
LJ will be enough difference against that defense...the O-line still has issues, but his presence will improve the way they look.

Chiefster
08-30-2007, 01:33 PM
LJ will be enough difference against that defense...the O-line still has issues, but his presence will improve the way they look.

LJ's a great back; Barry Sanders he's not though. I hope we make good use of the play action.

rbedgood
08-30-2007, 01:58 PM
LJ's a great back; Barry Sanders he's not though. I hope we make good use of the play action.

You're right, LJ isn't as shify as Sanders, but in someways that may be better for this situation as he brings more power to the table. As good as Sanders was at breaking runs, he was tackled behind the line a lot. LJ should be able to turn those carries into a yard or two keeping the team out of 3rd and 10, 3rd and 15 situations where play action is useless.

I think that the offense will be okay (not good or great) but okay. If the defense improves when the full playbook is pulled out in week1 they'll have a chance at 9-10 wins. If not then it'll be a long season.

Chiefster
08-30-2007, 02:46 PM
You're right, LJ isn't as shify as Sanders, but in someways that may be better for this situation as he brings more power to the table. As good as Sanders was at breaking runs, he was tackled behind the line a lot. LJ should be able to turn those carries into a yard or two keeping the team out of 3rd and 10, 3rd and 15 situations where play action is useless.

I think that the offense will be okay (not good or great) but okay. If the defense improves when the full playbook is pulled out in week1 they'll have a chance at 9-10 wins. If not then it'll be a long season.

I sure hope you're right; not holding my breath though.

rbedgood
08-30-2007, 02:51 PM
I sure hope you're right; not holding my breath though.

I did say "if" the defense improves with the full playbook. As a fan I'd like to see teams take the last 2 games a little more seriously. I understand the money issues and the concerns for health, but frankly the difference between getting hurt at the end of preseason or getting hurt in week 1 is nominal...in both cases you miss the player for a critical period of time. I understand that week 1 counts and last week didn't, however if the goal is to be ready for the season I think taking the last "rehearsal" a little more seriously just makes sense.

m0ef0e
08-30-2007, 02:57 PM
LJ reminds me more of Walter Payton or Earl Campbell than Barry Sanders. Barry did things I've never seen anybody else do. Payton was a little closer because at times he showed Barry-like finesse and moves. However, if you didn't bite on the juke, Walter would just run you over. The guy was next to impossible to bring down. Hence, why I lumped him with Campbell, who was all power.

Payton also possessed some elements of other greats such as Marcus Allen with the goal-line, superman dives for TD's. Not only was Walter about as complete as a running back comes, he could also throw the ball pretty well. I've seen a couple of highlight mixes that shows him doing nothing but throwing touchdowns for about 5 minutes straight on youtube. It actually kind of disgusts me to see so many football "heads" so readily plant their lips on the posterior of LaDanian Tomlinson, calling him the best, most complete back of all time. No question the guy is great but to call him the best at this point is purely speculation and opinion.

LT needs to keep up the kind of production he has had for 6 to 8 more seasons to be considered in the same category as some of these other guys. To say he's more "complete" than Walter Payton is a complete joke. Payton was just as versatile or more so than Tomlinson has been during his career.

Watching Barry Sanders highlights is like watching magic. It's something specail that can't be replicated. The same can be said for Walter Payton. While he was more versatile on the field than Larry Johnson, the thing I like the most about watching LJ run is his refusal to go down. This aspect of LJ's running-style is what reminds me of some of the game's greats. The power and toughness are just as exciting for me to watch as the finesse. Barry seemed like he had magic shoes that somehow made the law of inertia not apply to his body when he was on the field. Walter Payton was a soldier that ate nails and drank oil and his work ethic and determination carried not only the ball, but an otherwise lousy franchise for the better part of the decade. Until they got the pieces in place to win a superbowl, that is.

I don't think we will see another Barry Sanders or Walter Payton, EVER. Barry's abilities were totally unique and something I have never seen replicated while Walter was perhaps the most versatile, dedicated, and hard-working running back in the history of the game. There have been a lot of great power-backs, but this should not cheapen in any way marvelling at the speed and power of a modern-day gladiator like Larry Johnson. The attitude and power with which he runs is something to be in awe of. I'm certainly glad to have been able to see guys like him, Priest, Marcus, and Christian run for the only football team that matters.

Chiefster
08-30-2007, 03:14 PM
I did say "if" the defense improves with the full playbook. As a fan I'd like to see teams take the last 2 games a little more seriously. I understand the money issues and the concerns for health, but frankly the difference between getting hurt at the end of preseason or getting hurt in week 1 is nominal...in both cases you miss the player for a critical period of time. I understand that week 1 counts and last week didn't, however if the goal is to be ready for the season I think taking the last "rehearsal" a little more seriously just makes sense.

I absolutely couldn't agree more.

Chiefster
08-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Nice read m0ef0e! When is your next article? :)

swmochiefsfan
08-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Great article

sling58
08-31-2007, 07:17 AM
LJ will play. It's a ploy to get Houston off their game. If they don't know who to prepare for then it might give us an advantage. We need LJ to play.

swmochiefsfan
08-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Still Houston is an NFL team they better plan for everything anyway, if they dont they will be sorry,very sorry. LJ will play, he's been out and he's ready to get in there and bust some heads.Get em Brother.
:yahoo: :bananen_smilies046:

Canada
08-31-2007, 10:42 AM
LJ will play. It's a ploy to get Houston off their game. If they don't know who to prepare for then it might give us an advantage. We need LJ to play.

It's a pretty transparent ploy to me. LJ just signed a contract for huge money....there is NO WAY he takes the first day of work off. I say he is gonna come in and light up the Houston D (prepeared or not)!! LJ knows that he now has to prove that he is worth the money and I hope he steps up and kicks some ***!! :bananen_smilies046:

swmochiefsfan
08-31-2007, 10:43 AM
Here Here!!!.......Kick some ***.

sling58
08-31-2007, 10:50 AM
It's a pretty transparent ploy to me. LJ just signed a contract for huge money....there is NO WAY he takes the first day of work off. I say he is gonna come in and light up the Houston D (prepeared or not)!! LJ knows that he now has to prove that he is worth the money and I hope he steps up and kicks some ***!! :bananen_smilies046:

All in favor say "I"!!!!!!

:11:

swmochiefsfan
08-31-2007, 10:54 AM
I :11:

Canada
08-31-2007, 10:56 AM
"i" !!!

chief31
I WANNA ROCK!!!!!!! :yahoo: ROCK!!!! :smilies_musik45:

Canada
"I" and one for
Chiefster the post whore!!

m0ef0e
08-31-2007, 11:34 AM
"I"

Chiefster, sorry I haven't had much time to actually sit down to hammer out some articles. I've steadily been getting busier at my store and of course, when running a business, work unfortunately doesn't stop when I'm not at the store.

I'm hoping that business continues to steadily grow to the point that I can hire some help. Until then, however, I've resigned myself to just staying active on the forums when I can because I don't feel I can give a weekly column the time or dedication it deserves. If I was to try to force it, my writing would just be a bunch of uninformed, opinionated trash. If people want that, they can just tune in to ESPN.

sling58
08-31-2007, 12:23 PM
"I"

Chiefster, sorry I haven't had much time to actually sit down to hammer out some articles. I've steadily been getting busier at my store and of course, when running a business, work unfortunately doesn't stop when I'm not at the store.

I'm hoping that business continues to steadily grow to the point that I can hire some help. Until then, however, I've resigned myself to just staying active on the forums when I can because I don't feel I can give a weekly column the time or dedication it deserves. If I was to try to force it, my writing would just be a bunch of uninformed, opinionated trash. If people want that, they can just tune in to ESPN.

Talk about hitting the nail on the head!

Chiefster
09-01-2007, 05:17 AM
"I"

True, but I have never seen anything you write remotely resembling the ESPN tripe. Oh, and no apology needed here bud; good luck with the business.

Talk about hitting the nail on the head!

I was going to comment but I think I'll leave this alone allowing the comment to stand on it's own. :D

Canada
09-01-2007, 10:51 AM
I was going to comment but I think I'll leave this alone allowing the comment to stand on it's own. :D[/quote]

Did u just post a comment saying that u weren't going to post a comment?? Post whore!! :bananen_smilies046:

sling58
09-01-2007, 10:54 AM
I was going to comment but I think I'll leave this alone allowing the comment to stand on it's own. :D

Did u just post a comment saying that u weren't going to post a comment?? Post whore!! :bananen_smilies046:[/quote]

I think that would classify as a post whore comment, (wait this might also, I will have to refer to the Chiefster/Chief31 Guide to Post Whoring and get back to you.)

Canada
09-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Pointing out post whoring was my assignment for Chiefsters class this weekend.

sling58
09-01-2007, 11:07 AM

Next week it will be: Aquire all Arrowcash that you can!

Canada
09-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Did you go to his "Condense your posts....Maximize your inner whoring abilities" Seminar last week? It was great!!

Coach
09-01-2007, 11:11 AM
absofrekinlutly

Sweet. I've never seen anyone try to spell out that word. I might just have to create a absofrekinlutly.com website.

"I"

No apology necessary. And your are absolutely right about ESPN. I won't get started on their waste of space website.

Assigment complete.

sling58
09-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Did you go to his "Condense your posts....Maximize your inner whoring abilities" Seminar last week? It was great!!

No I missed it, I was at the "Use :lol: :lol: as a post and get Arrowcash Retreat!" instead.

m0ef0e
09-01-2007, 01:14 PM
True, but I have never seen anything you write remotely resembling the ESPN tripe. Oh, and no apology needed here bud; good luck with the business.

Thanks, man. I always try to make sure I can back up my opinion with fact because my foot doesn't taste very good. :D

Chiefster
09-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Sling you and Canada are learning at a phenomenal rate and I am proud, but you both still have much to learn my young padawans. :D

Chiefster
09-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks, man. I always try to make sure I can back up my opinion with fact because my foot doesn't taste very good. :D

I completely understand; yes, I'm speaking from experience. I have opened my mouth only to insert my foot on more then one occasion.

sling58
09-02-2007, 07:37 AM
Sling you and Canada are learning at a phenomenal rate and I am proud, but you both still have much to learn my young padawans. :D

Heh!!!! Yup!!!! I Agree!!!! (typically posts)

:lol: :lol:

rbedgood
09-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Heh!!!! Yup!!!! I Agree!!!! (typically posts)

:lol: :lol:

Shouldn't each of these be separate posts...?

Chiefster
09-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Shouldn't each of these be separate posts...?

Yep!!! :D

peekaboo224
09-05-2007, 07:17 AM
I guess if he is not 100% ready, I would rather it be against Houston then against the Broncs or Chargers, or Colts. Hopefully he will be 100% ready by week 2. I'm sure he will still pound his way throw and put up some good numbers on Sunday.

Canada
09-05-2007, 07:53 AM
For 45 million he better be ready to play!!

swmochiefsfan
09-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Agreed, maybe he should have been in camp a little sooner.Not ready my a**.

DrunkHillbilly
09-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Larry Johnson, RB KC
News: The Kansas City Star reports that Chiefs coach Herman Edwards is sticking to his plan to limit Larry Johnson's reps, particularly at the beginning of the season, starting Week 1 at Houston. "He's going to be on a little bit of a leash early," Edwards said. "He has to get his legs underneath him. Michael Bennett is healthy, and that's good. It gives us another runner. It's not all on LJ. ... He'll be fine the first two weeks because he knows he can't do (too much). We're protecting Larry. ... But the kind of guy he is, after Week 4, I know he's going to come up to me and say, 'I can carry it a few more times if you need me to.' Now it's 25 (times) and now it's 30 (times). Then I'm answering the question all over again: Are you giving him the ball too much?"

Chiefster
09-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Agreed, maybe he should have been in camp a little sooner.Not ready my a**.

:lol::lol:

Chiefster
09-05-2007, 07:47 PM

Without a doubt!

sling58
09-07-2007, 08:20 AM
He will play. There is no doubt in my mind he will play.

Chiefster
09-07-2007, 12:02 PM
He will play. There is no doubt in my mind he will play.

Agreed he will play, I don't think it will be as much in week one though.

sling58
09-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Agreed he will play, I don't think it will be as much in week one though.

WHy would he? I see us scoring a couple of times and our d holding them out of the endzone. We need to save him for better games.

Chiefster
09-08-2007, 01:22 AM
WHy would he? I see us scoring a couple of times and our d holding them out of the endzone. We need to save him for better games.

Well, according to Herm the plan is to score fewer then 21 points.

Guru
09-08-2007, 01:33 AM
Well, according to Herm the plan is to score fewer then 21 points.

I want arena football damnit!!!:mob:

Chiefster
09-08-2007, 01:34 AM
I want arena football damnit!!!:mob:

Bring on Sippio!(sp)

Guru
09-08-2007, 01:35 AM
Bring on Sippio!(sp)

7000 coming next

Chiefster
09-08-2007, 01:37 AM
7000 coming next