PDA

View Full Version : 2-point conversion for the win...

Bike
10-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Why not?
If nothing else, Haley would had conveyed a message to his team that he has confidence in them. That they have what it takes to go 2 yards. That they have what it takes to WIN.
If they don't get in, well its another loss. But the message is still conveyed to the players..
But if they do get in, its a WIN. AT HOME.
I'm not sure I understand this decision. Thoughts?

N TX Dave
10-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Because if he had gone for 2 and not made it and lost people would have been in here calling for his head saying it was the dumbest thing they had seen after they just marched down the field and scored did he not have enough confidence in his team to do it again?

Bike
10-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Because if he had gone for 2 and not made it and lost people would have been in here calling for his head saying it was the dumbest thing they had seen after they just marched down the field and scored did he not have enough confidence in his team to do it again?
I really doubt at 0-4 that we would be after Haleys head for going for the win. But I could be wwwwwrong...

honda522
10-12-2009, 07:47 PM
I thought we should do it. Nothing to lose. Matt Cassel led an awesome drive, and the play calling was spectacular on that drive. Of course in OT the play calling went back to the normal and thats what I was afriad of. We had momentum.

josh1971
10-12-2009, 07:49 PM

Quoted for truth.:bananen_smilies046:

hometeam
10-12-2009, 08:07 PM
I agree. When you are 2-28 what the heck do you have to lose?

hometeam
10-12-2009, 08:08 PM

Did you watch that game? what on earth made you think we could march down the field and score?

josh1971
10-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Did you watch that game? what on earth made you think we could march down the field and score?

Did you watch that game? What did we do in the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter? We ran a no-huddle attack that worked, and got us in the end zone.

Certainly that could work again to get us into field goal range.

And it would have in OT, if Haley hadn't decided that running LJ off tackle was the way to go. We had to travel probably 25 yards, from our own 49, and he calls the number for the guy averaging less than 2 yards per carry....

So yeah, we COULD have marched down the field again, with decent play calls.

matthewschiefs
10-12-2009, 08:13 PM

If it would not be the people here it would be all the talking heads on the media.

Vandelay
10-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Shoulda went for 2. I thought for sure Haley would go for it.

I was yelling at the TV after they scored the TD, gotta go for the win right now.

I would not have been bashing had they failed. Herm was a dumba$$, but the one call he made I never had a problem with, was the choice to go for 2 against SD last year.

texaschief
10-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Why not?
If nothing else, Haley would had conveyed a message to his team that he has confidence in them. That they have what it takes to go 2 yards. That they have what it takes to WIN.
If they don't get in, well its another loss. But the message is still conveyed to the players..

I actually think going to overtime was the right choice. I think it showed more confidence in his team to go for the tie. He had faith that his defense could take the ball away had they lost the coin flip. They actually DID take the ball away once. Had that offense made just 15-20 more yards, we'd be talking about a pretty nice win.

The rule is you go for two on the road and go for the tie at home. I think it was a good call.

Vandelay
10-12-2009, 08:53 PM
I actually think going to overtime was the right choice. I think it showed more confidence in his team to go for the tie. He had faith that his defense could take the ball away had they lost the coin flip. They actually DID take the ball away once. Had that offense made just 15-20 more yards, we'd be talking about a pretty nice win.

The rule is you go for two on the road and go for the tie at home. I think it was a good call.

True, but when your 2 and 28 in your last 30 games, you can throw that rule out.

IlovetheChiefs
10-12-2009, 08:55 PM
yeah that's my opinion too. I disagreed with it last year when Herm did it at SD and would have disagreed it with it this time too. I think also since we had just completed a 10 play 74 yard drive Haley had the confidence we could carry that into overtime.

It's probably one of these things where if you go for it and fail, people are mad. And if you don't go for it and fail, people are mad. And conversely people are happy with the decisions if they result in success.

I'm just glad that if we were gonna lose we went down fighting in ot rather than another frustrating 20-19 loss on a failed 2 pt. conversion. And someone pointed out that it can be good for the team just forcing an overtime. Helping to build some confidence that we at least achieved that.

josh1971
10-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Yeah, and when you kick the PAT, go to overtime, your defense forces a 3-and-out, and you get the ball at your own 49, you kinda expect that you should be able to go about 20 yards and kick a field goal.

Guess that was expecting a lot on Sunday.

McLovin
10-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Yeah, and when you kick the PAT, go to overtime, your defense forces a 3-and-out, and you get the ball at your own 49, you kinda expect that you should be able to go about 20 yards and kick a field goal.

Guess that was expecting a lot on Sunday.
If instead of 1st and 10 it was 1st with 10 plays we would have been money. Leggett couldn't cover all game, hey lets have him cover the person with the hot hand in overtime. Why is he still a Chief. Haley is sucking it up with the best of them. His play calling is horrid, and his decision making and is off, not to mention I am quickly tiring of the constant berating of players and dog housing those that give us the best chance to win.
Personally with a good team I would have kicked the extra point with this team and the play calling I would have went for 2.

Stumplifter
10-12-2009, 11:10 PM
If instead of 1st and 10 it was 1st with 10 plays we would have been money. Leggett couldn't cover all game, hey lets have him cover the person with the hot hand in overtime. Why is he still a Chief. Haley is sucking it up with the best of them. His play calling is horrid, and his decision making and is off, not to mention I am quickly tiring of the constant berating of players and dog housing those that give us the best chance to win.
Personally with a good team I would have kicked the extra point with this team and the play calling I would have went for 2.

Me too, we should have known better that they would never put together another drive like that right away in OT.
Again, when you're 2-28.... what have you got to lose? If he HAD gone for it and it was successful..... He would be KING TODD in Chiefsland..... for a day or two anyways!

Big Daddy Tek
10-12-2009, 11:21 PM
You guys kinda p!ss me off. If we went for two and didnt make it, you same people would be drilling Haley! Remember what this board was like when Herm went for two and didnt make it? I do. Everybody killed him! Save the hindsight.

texaschief
10-12-2009, 11:47 PM
You guys kinda p!ss me off. If we went for two and didnt make it, you same people would be drilling Haley! Remember what this board was like when Herm went for two and didnt make it? I do. Everybody killed him! Save the hindsight.

Hey, I'm honest. lol. I liked it when Edwards went for it and I liked that Haley went to overtime. The whole time I was saying "kick it, kick it, kick it, kick it." :lol:

josh1971
10-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Hey, I'm honest. lol. I liked it when Edwards went for it and I liked that Haley went to overtime. The whole time I was saying "kick it, kick it, kick it, kick it." :lol:

Yep, I was almost chanting that same thing.

kilobytes
10-13-2009, 12:07 AM
Herm went for the win shockingly once last year so why not do it? We have no chance in overtime. So Im guessing Herm had more confidence in his team.

josh1971
10-13-2009, 12:08 AM
We have no chance in overtime.

THAT'S the spirit! :yahoo:

Canada
10-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Herm went for the win shockingly once last year so why not do it? We have no chance in overtime.

Sure we did. We stopped them once in OT and we had the ball on the 48 yard line. Sounds like we had a pretty good chance.

kilobytes
10-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Sure we did. We stopped them once in OT and we had the ball on the 48 yard line. Sounds like we had a pretty good chance.
I didn't believe for one second we were going to pull it off. Its just too good to be true. History has shown we suck in overtime over that last couple years.

Chiefster
10-13-2009, 12:15 AM

This and...

Quoted for truth.:bananen_smilies046:

this!

Although, I admit, that if I were able to prognosticate the outcome of the game as a result of sending it in to overtime before hand I would have just as soon preferred that he lose the game going for two then to drag it out in OT, but that's just me. :D

josh1971
10-13-2009, 12:16 AM
I didn't believe for one second we were going to pull it off. Its just too good to be true. History has shown we suck in overtime over that last couple years.

Wow dude... just, wow.

I don't care if we suck or not, I *ALWAYS* think we have a chance in O.T. And we did have a chance in this O.T.- we just flamed out on offense and broke down on defense.

Chiefster
10-13-2009, 12:16 AM
THAT'S the spirit! :yahoo:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Stumplifter
10-13-2009, 12:17 AM
I can honestly say that if we had gone for 2 and didn't make it, I would not have b!tched one bit.
I would have respected the fact that they 'tried for the win' and not let it basically be decided by a coin flip.

Sure, you'd have people complain about it, but overall I think he might have gained more fans by taking a chance and showing everyone he's not scared to let his boys go out and try to win the thing. I think the players would have responded and somehow converted.

Chiefster
10-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Wow dude... just, wow.

I don't care if we suck or not, I *ALWAYS* think we have a chance in O.T. And we did have a chance in this O.T.- we just flamed out on offense and broke down on defense.

In the words of HH: "Word".

kilobytes
10-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Wow dude... just, wow.

Not with these overtime rules.....even though we won the toss the rules suck. But thats for another thread.

Chiefster
10-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Not with these overtime rules.....even though we won the toss the rules suck. But thats for another thread.

Well, I think the rules are the same for both teams.

kilobytes
10-13-2009, 12:30 AM
Well, I think the rules are the same for both teams.
The coin toss......

texaschief
10-13-2009, 12:56 AM
I'm just glad he didn't go for it and miss it. Cuz then it would look like I was just disapproving of his decisions out of spite, when that's not the case.

Despite what some people on here think, my questions, concerns, and problems with Haley's decisions are grounded in legitimate and fundamental principles that I have.

I'm genuinely happy about the decision by Haley to kick and go to overtime. But a screen and dive for zero yards on first and second down on the 50 yard line were HORRIBLE calls. THOSE calls were the ones that cost the Chiefs the game. 15 yards Haley... 15 yards.

Canada
10-13-2009, 08:33 AM

So we should have gone for two because you dont believe we can win in OT?? I'll send Haley the E mail right now. (Im pretty sure they dont take your feeling into account when making decisions)

yashi
10-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Hindsight is 20-20. The Cowboys were certainly moving the ball a lot better all game than we were, so I was not too confident going into OT.

kilobytes
10-13-2009, 11:07 AM
So we should have gone for two because you dont believe we can win in OT?? I'll send Haley the E mail right now. (Im pretty sure they dont take your feeling into account when making decisions)
No its just MY opinion and thats what I would have done if I were coach. I don't want a coin toss deciding the outcome basically even though we won the toss. I just think we have a better chance making the conversion than go to OT and win.

pbatrucker
10-13-2009, 01:08 PM
And some of the same people were calling Herm an idiot for going for two in SD last year. Haley went with the percentages and made the right call.

nigeriannightmare
10-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Why not?

I was screaming this in section 118, screaming it. 0 and 4 at home go for thie win, but then again I don't get paid for it but I sure as hell wanted to see it.

IlovetheChiefs
10-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Again, when you're 2-28.... what have you got to lose?

The thing is, the first 2-23 of the 2-28 were from 2007 and 2008 and only 0-5 pertains to affecting our results this year. So going into overtime we were 0-4 at that point. Had we pulled the game out not only would we have gotten a much needed win, but at 1-4 would suddenly be just 2 games behind the 5th and 6th seed wild card spots. Even at 0-5, just 3 games back of 2 playoff spots with 11 games to go is still early enough in the season to have a shot.

Now although I think we could very well beat the Skins and go to 1-5, I'm not saying I expect we'll turn things around to the tune of a 9-7 record and wild card position. Just saying that while we've only won 2 of the last 30, it's only the 0-4 record at the time of the 20-19 score late in the 4th against Dallas that matters for our playoff chances. While it looks gloomy for teams like us, TB, Tennesee, Carolina, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. it's still early in the season and every team still has time to turn things around and get back in contention before the season's over.

Now if we were 0-11 then you can say what have we got to lose. But at 0-4 we had plenty to lose.

Bike
10-14-2009, 11:15 AM
The thing is, the first 2-23 of the 2-28 were from 2007 and 2008 and only 0-5 pertains to affecting our results this year. So going into overtime we were 0-4 at that point. Had we pulled the game out not only would we have gotten a much needed win, but at 1-4 would suddenly be just 2 games behind the 5th and 6th seed wild card spots. Even at 0-5, just 3 games back of 2 playoff spots with 11 games to go is still early enough in the season to have a shot.

Now although I think we could very well beat the Skins and go to 1-5, I'm not saying I expect we'll turn things around to the tune of a 9-7 record and wild card position. Just saying that while we've only won 2 of the last 30, it's only the 0-4 record at the time of the 20-19 score late in the 4th against Dallas that matters for our playoff chances. While it looks gloomy for teams like us, TB, Tennesee, Carolina, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. it's still early in the season and every team still has time to turn things around and get back in contention before the season's over.

Now if we were 0-11 then you can say what have we got to lose. But at 0-4 we had plenty to lose.
And we did. I mean how many times are we sittin' at the two yard line with an opportunity to WIN. I would of taken the chance...

IlovetheChiefs
10-14-2009, 11:35 AM
And we did. I mean how many times are we sittin' at the two yard line with an opportunity to WIN. I would of taken the chance...

I understand the argument that since right now we're not one of the NFL's good teams, our chances in overtime may be less than 50%, whereas a good team like the Colts would be greater than 50% and thus should kick the PAT.

One question though. If we would have less than 50% in OT since we're not as good, wouldn't we also have less than the 45% success rate of making the 2 point conversion since we're a below par team right now? :)

Two things also for me personally on why I wouldn't have liked the 2pt. attempt: We lost last year that way and by the same score. I know last year is last year but for me personally it would have given me such an AUGGHHH! feeling if it happened AGAIN to us (Kind of like how Charlie Brown went AUGHHHHH! when he misspelled the word beagle in the spelling bee, heh!).

And also, here I am at work keeping updated on the score. I see we are losing 20-13 with only 25 seconds left. Then I see it says 20-19. I'm feeling so relieved that we will be going to overtime. That we are still ALIVE! But as I'm waiting for the score to come around again, the thought of horror crosses my mind that maybe we had 19 not because we JUST got a td seconds ago but because we went for 2 and failed!

Bike
10-14-2009, 11:48 AM
I understand the argument that since right now we're not one of the NFL's good teams, our chances in overtime may be less than 50%, whereas a good team like the Colts would be greater than 50% and thus should kick the PAT.

One question though. If we would have less than 50% in OT since we're not as good, wouldn't we also have less than the 45% success rate of making the 2 point conversion since we're a below par team right now? :)

Two things also for me personally on why I wouldn't have liked the 2pt. attempt: We lost last year that way and by the same score. I know last year is last year but for me personally it would have given me such an AUGGHHH! feeling if it happened AGAIN to us (Kind of like how Charlie Brown went AUGHHHHH! when he misspelled the word beagle in the spelling bee, heh!).

And also, here I am at work keeping updated on the score. I see we are losing 20-13 with only 25 seconds left. Then I see it says 20-19. I'm feeling so relieved that we will be going to overtime. That we are still ALIVE! But as I'm waiting for the score to come around again, the thought of horror crosses my mind that maybe we had 19 not because we JUST got a td seconds ago but because we went for 2 and failed!
Theres arguments both ways. I'll just store away the fact that we played hard and had a chance to win. But I'm not honestly looking at this season as win/loss at this point. I'm just looking to improve so as to be competitive next season. And the season after that. And the season .....
I love watching the Chiefs - win or lose. We'll be better after the bye week as our schedule lightens up somewhat...

matthewschiefs
10-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Theres arguments both ways. I'll just store away the fact that we played hard and had a chance to win. But I'm not honestly looking at this season as win/loss at this point. I'm just looking to improve so as to be competitive next season. And the season after that. And the season .....
I love watching the Chiefs - win or lose. We'll be better after the bye week as our schedule lightens up somewhat...

Clevland oakland again the schedule looks nicer now then it has. We are done with the NFC east after this week thank god. The only tough one is the Stellers.

chief31
10-16-2009, 04:24 PM

Yep. I dislike alot about Haley, myself. But I liked that decision.

yashi
10-16-2009, 04:30 PM
I was hoping we didn't go for it.. because it's taken us 3-4 plays to score everytime we're inside the 5. You only get 1 chance there.