PDA

View Full Version : I studied film today.

honda522
10-14-2009, 10:22 PM
On the NFL replay. I will break it down for you.

QB: Afraid to throw a pick, and afriad to just get rid of the ball..he ends up taking the sack instead. Of course you know this. Think Cassel must have had the hard count going on well that drive when Dallas jumped off sides like a million times in a row.

OL: Obviously you all know they are just getting blown up. But from what I see, they are standing straight up. If they could stay low like they should be doing, I would think they could give Cassel another 4 seconds or so. Needless to say I think this is part of a coaching problem.

WR: Did pretty good, a few drops that should have been catches, but thanks to Dallas drawing a personal foul we gained more. There was that BS OPI on Bowe which I think shouldn't have been flagged for, cause it was a screen pass.

RB: I realize there is no help by the OL but this LJ dilemma is pissing me off. I think part of being a great back, or any football player is the ability to adjust. On 2 straight plays LJ adjusted and got some big runs. I still don't understand why Haley loves him so much.

DL: Getting pressure as you know but the pressure comes to late, and by the time they break throw they are taking bad pursuits on the QB.

LB: Not really much to say other than on those few 3 or 4 plays where Dallas got a huge run, but I looked back and on most of the big runs there was quite a bit of holding going on.

DB's: Terrible tackling, terrible pursuit, terrible coverage, terrible EVERYTHING. My question is why was Flowers out so much? Obviosuly you need not me to tell you how bad they were.

Now if only Coach Haley would see this. I am not so sure Haley is seeing the problems.

I tell you tho, one thing that really bugged me was the Fumble at the beginning, and why the refs had to challenge EVERY single catch on the last drive! I think it was obvious they were catches.

Chiefster
10-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Four whole seconds??? I don't see Cassel getting that much time in the pocket with this O-line, even if they do stay low as suggested; but, that's just me.

honda522
10-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Four whole seconds??? I don't see Cassel getting that much time in the pocket with this O-line, even if they do stay low as suggested; but, that's just me.
Ok, maybe not 4 seconds, but atleast it would slow them down alittle right?

yashi
10-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Flowers was thrown at maybe 2 times the entire game. They were really picking on Carr/Leggett/Washington. I really wish we could clone Flowers a couple times. I'm surprised we don't keep safeties shadowing the other receivers. I'm confident enough in Flowers to be able to shut down most receivers himself.

Chiefster
10-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Ok, maybe not 4 seconds, but atleast it would slow them down alittle right?

One would think.

Hayvern
10-15-2009, 12:53 AM
OL: Obviously you all know they are just getting blown up. But from what I see, they are standing straight up. If they could stay low like they should be doing, I would think they could give Cassel another 4 seconds or so. Needless to say I think this is part of a coaching problem.

Except of course on field goal attempts, then I think maybe it is a good idea to stand up, so the defender does not jump over your back and block the kick... Where did I see that again?..,.

brish
10-15-2009, 02:12 AM
Except of course on field goal attempts, then I think maybe it is a good idea to stand up, so the defender does not jump over your back and block the kick... Where did I see that again?..,.

Hahaha.. Made my morning..

But yeah, I don't know who it was, but the guy just never gets his hands off the ground.

InsideNation
10-15-2009, 02:34 AM
just enough seconds to slow them down

pbatrucker
10-15-2009, 04:32 AM
He went over the long snapper.

Chiefster
10-15-2009, 07:47 AM
He went over the long snapper.

Who really is at a bit of a disadvantage, but still no excuse.

Chiefster
10-15-2009, 07:48 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

honda522
10-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Thats another thing that I don't understand and I am pissed about. I thought you couldn't touch the snapper...either way he should of had his head up. Kendal Gammon would have never allowed that to happen.

brish
10-15-2009, 09:59 AM
You aren't allowed to touch the snapper no.. "All" he had to do was standup and let him touch him.
It just sad that it's plays like these that costs us games.
I get why Haley is so focused on the details in his coaching..

isht_starter
10-15-2009, 12:01 PM
This is one of the funniest posts I've ever read on any message board. Once I saw the title, "I watched film today" I just knew hilarity would ensue, but little did I know it would follow with:

On the NFL replay.

You watched film on NFL Replay? You watched a rebroadcast of the game, not "film." I hope you don't think that the tape the players and coaches watch is the actual game broadcast. Regardless, the line "I watched film today...on the NFL Replay" is priceless.

As if that wasn't humorous enough, it only got better with:

I will break it down for you.

Yes please, break it down for all of us using that fantastic knowledge you gained watching the "film" on NFL Network.

QB: Afraid to throw a pick, and afriad to just get rid of the ball..he ends up taking the sack instead. Of course you know this....

OL: Obviously you all know they are just getting blown up.

What else are you going to tell us that we already know? Sugar is sweet? Water is wet? The Chiefs wear red?

But from what I see, they are standing straight up. If they could stay low like they should be doing, I would think they could give Cassel another 4 seconds or so. Needless to say I think this is part of a coaching problem.

Forget the fact that 3 seconds is what most teams hope for, but you've figured it all out with your "film" breakdown. Who would have thought that it was as simple as getting low and the quarterback would get, not 4 seconds mind you, but another 4 seconds to throw. I assume this is on top of the 1-2 seconds Cassel might already be getting. So that's about 5-6 seconds of pass protection merely be getting lower. Of course this is most definitely a coaching problem as you point out. It's amazing really that the professional coaches getting paid to do the work haven't figured this out yet despite all the practices, games, film, studying of fundamentals, and years of professional experience, but somehow you have figured it out by watching "film" on NFL Replay.

DL: Getting pressure as you know but the pressure comes to late, and by the time they break throw they are taking bad pursuits on the QB.

Please expand on this. How are they taking bad pursuits to the QB? What should they be doing? After all you watched the film so you should be able to tell us.

Now if only Coach Haley would see this. I am not so sure Haley is seeing the problems.

Nah, he doesn't see any of these problems. He's just a head coach in the NFL so he knows nothing about football or not nearly as much as you do. It's almost unfair to expect him to know as much as you do since you watched the film on NFL Network. Many providers still don't have the NFL Network so it's possible that coach Haley hasn't seen it.

Wow, all kidding aside I think I may print this post and put it up in my office so I can read it any time I need a laugh. It's truly a masterpiece of arm-chair or keyboard quarterbacking.

honda522
10-15-2009, 12:09 PM
This is one of the funniest posts I've ever read on any message board. Once I saw the title, "I watched film today" I just knew hilarity would ensue, but little did I know it would follow with:

You watched film on NFL Replay? You watched a rebroadcast of the game, not "film." I hope you don't think that the tape the players and coaches watch is the actual game broadcast. Regardless, the line "I watched film today...on the NFL Replay" is priceless.

Yes please, break it down for all of us using that fantastic knowledge you gained watching the "film" on NFL Network.

What else are you going to tell us that we already know? Sugar is sweet? Water is wet? The Chiefs wear red?

Forget the fact that 3 seconds is what most teams hope for, but you've figured it all out with your "film" breakdown. Who would have thought that it was as simple as getting low and the quarterback would get, not 4 seconds mind you, but another 4 seconds to throw. I assume this is on top of the 1-2 seconds Cassel might already be getting. So that's about 5-6 seconds of pass protection merely be getting lower. Of course this is most definitely a coaching problem as you point out. It's amazing really that the professional coaches getting paid to do the work haven't figured this out yet despite all the practices, games, film, studying of fundamentals, and years of professional experience, but somehow you have figured it out by watching "film" on NFL Replay.

Please expand on this. How are they taking bad pursuits to the QB? What should they be doing? After all you watched the film so you should be able to tell us.

Nah, he doesn't see any of these problems. He's just a head coach in the NFL so he knows nothing about football or not nearly as much as you do. It's almost unfair to expect him to know as much as you do since you watched the film on NFL Network. Many providers still don't have the NFL Network so it's possible that coach Haley hasn't seen it.

Wow, all kidding aside I think I may print this post and put it up in my office so I can read it any time I need a laugh. It's truly a masterpiece of arm-chair or keyboard quarterbacking.
No need to be a dick to me or anyone else around here. I have DVR now and I was able to tape it and slow it down. I don't really care what you think, it seems everybody else agree with what I was saying.

yashi
10-15-2009, 12:13 PM

:lol:

I rewatch games sometimes too and see things that I think could be done different with better results. But then I have to slap myself and realize that I'm not one of 32 NFL head coaches in the world, so there's more than likely a reason for everything these guys do.... usually.

Bill Simmons had an interesting suggestion on his podcast the other day though. So many coaches are terrible at clock management, so they should each hire some kid who plays Madden 20 hours a day to stand next to them on the sideline for clock management advice since they've seen every possible scenario. Some kid covered in zits can tug on Rex Ryan's shirt, "call a timeout!". Brilliant. :D

If only we had a Madden genius helping Herm out.

Bike
10-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Flowers was thrown at maybe 2 times the entire game. They were really picking on Carr/Leggett/Washington. I really wish we could clone Flowers a couple times. I'm surprised we don't keep safeties shadowing the other receivers. I'm confident enough in Flowers to be able to shut down most receivers himself.
We are severly lacking at the safety position. Page and Brown ain't gonna cut it imo. 2nd most needed position after ol...

yashi
10-15-2009, 12:16 PM
We are severly lacking at the safety position. Page and Brown ain't gonna cut it imo. 2nd most needed position after ol...

It doesn't help that Brown is constantly blitzing. You can't really help out in coverage with a 320 lb Guard tossing you around.

Still though, Mays/Berry 2010.

Bike
10-15-2009, 12:20 PM
It doesn't help that Brown is constantly blitzing. You can't really help out in coverage with a 320 lb Guard tossing you around.

Still though, Mays/Berry 2010.
Yep. I'm thinking Mays the stronger of the two. Grab him.

SIC J
10-15-2009, 12:25 PM

I guess I wasn't the only one that thought this thread was funny too. :lol:

Seek
10-15-2009, 01:21 PM
I didn't care to re-watch the game. From what I saw. Flowers was assigned to Witten. With their best receiver hurt, The Chiefs were trying to shut down their second best receiver (Witten) and tried to Make Romo beat the chiefs with Austin, Which they did.

I don't see how the Receivers did okay. If they were getting open, Cassel wouldn't be scared to throw a ball, wouldn't hold it to take the sack instead.

It is a team game. Yes the Oline is horrible, but the receivers have to get open to make up for that, the QB has to get rid of the ball, and the coach has to call plays to do all of the above.

I didn't know it was illegal to touch the snapper. I just thought it was illegal to use him as a toll to elevate the defender in an attempt to block the ball. Regardless, both Guards also dropped their heads. I think Tim Grunhardt brought this up a week or so ago and actually said some team will see that and block a kick.... Poor special teams coaching.

josh1971
10-15-2009, 01:31 PM
I watched film today too.

That Vincent Price guy... he was awesome.

honda522
10-15-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't see how the Receivers did okay. If they were getting open, Cassel wouldn't be scared to throw a ball, wouldn't hold it to take the sack instead.

I would like to stick you in Cassels spot and give you 2 seconds or less to see which wide out was open. Just saying...it all goes back on the OL.:11:

Seek
10-15-2009, 08:13 PM
I would like to stick you in Cassels spot and give you 2 seconds or less to see which wide out was open. Just saying...it all goes back on the OL.:11:

When Cassel is taking a snap from a shot gun, he should be ready to throw it in two seconds.

If he can't the receivers are not getting open, or the play is not giving him those routes, or the QB is just holding the ball.

I understand the offensive line is horrific, just as it was last year when Thigpen made Chicken Salad.....

Oh and if you want to pay me what they are paying Cassel, I am all for it.

Stumplifter
10-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Regardless, both Guards also dropped their heads. I think Tim Grunhardt brought this up a week or so ago and actually said some team will see that and block a kick.... Poor special teams coaching.

I remember that, during one of the Chiefs field goals a week or two prior to the Cowboys game. He mentioned that exact thing happening if they didn't address it.

chief31
10-16-2009, 04:02 PM

Unfortunately, most of us don't have access to the type of film that the coaches get. But, knowing that, I would think a wise guy like yourself might not have had any problem figuring out what kind of film was being referred to here.

Hmmm. This suggests that you don't really think that there is anything to be learned from watching replay on NFL Network. Let's see if you're right...

Well, how would you know that our o-line sucks? Do you have access to some uber-special film that we don't?

In case you were too busy watching the RB and QB, offensive and defensive line play is the one area hat you really get to see throughout the length of the game on TV.

So, appearently, there is something to watching NFL Replay. Hmm.

Amazing, though that some of these coaches can't see the forrest for the trees.

The fact that one isn't an NFL HC doesn't mean he's an idiot. Just a s the fact that one is an NFL HC doesn't mean that he can do the job.

So, then, Obviously, Todd Haley knew that Bernard Pollard was the best Safety he had on the team, and that's why he cut him.

Clearly, he knows that Tamba Hali doesn't have the speed/agility to generate a decent pass-rush, so he keeps him as he primary blitzer.

And of course Haley knows that it is wise to have the respect of his players, and that's why he decided to call them all 'worthless' (in a sense) once he was hired to work with them. Nothing builds respect like... disrespect?

Micheal Jordan was a baseball player, that played basketball on the side.

Kurt Warner was a grocery bagger.

No everyone who 'would be' the best at a specific job is even in that field. And some of the people who are, are all wrong for it.

So, because Todd Haley has been around the NFL for his entire life, surely means that he must have the god-given gift of NFL coaching ability, despite his obvious lack of football common sense.

And since the rest of us are not on the sidelines, surely that means that God didn't give any of us the ability to evaluate football skills.

Get a clue.

Not everyone winds-up in the right professional field. Look no further than George W. Bush.