PDA

View Full Version : Preseason woes...

cpchief
08-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Again we watched as our strating defence did a stand-up job against a top ranked offence, and again we watched our offence fall apart and look like the exact offence we saw in the play-off game against Indy.

I know pre-season is practice yet it does say alot about the coach and the players as a whole and I am seeing an energized ready to kick you in the face defence, and a squishy we dont know how to catch or block offence.

I know that with the return of LJ hopefully things in the running game will turn around, however he can't do it all alone, and he really needs the offensive line to make some opening for him to run through, instead of forcing him to create his own like most of last year.

Again it seems like they will have to keep Tony G back in to block like last year and waste his true talent due to the tackles being a joke (like last year) if they can't protect Croyle he can't do his job (and I think he is a decent QB)

Well regardless I have and will keep saying until Carl Peterson is out we will not go to the Superbowl his time is over and he needs to leave.

Chiefster
08-24-2007, 09:16 AM
With the offense currently in place, our defense would have been on the field so much that by the time our bye week rolls around there won't be much, if anything, of our defense left. Beaten up and depleted they shall, unfortunately, be.

wolfpack
08-24-2007, 10:22 AM
the defense looked good? the saints owned our "d'. and their two best wideout werent playing. they stopped them inside the 20, what once,twice, big deal. they let them get there with ease. you cant keep leting teams get there or everybody will score.

swmochiefsfan
08-24-2007, 12:01 PM
The D showed positive signs, definitly alot of work to do.

sling58
08-24-2007, 12:26 PM
We looked awful! We cannot justify it. We bit last night. BUT, like I have said countless times to myself and on this forum. This is just preseason and I have hope for the regular season.

sbenson9
08-24-2007, 12:30 PM
playing for a good draft pick, Need an O line and a real QB HELP ELP we need Help

sling58
08-24-2007, 12:35 PM
playing for a good draft pick, Need an O line and a real QB HELP ELP we need Help

As long as Herm is the HC then we will NEVER draft a offensive lineman. We have a good QB in Croyle. It's only his second year and first one at the helm. Even Peyton had a rough first year as a starter, he was 3-13 his first year. I wanted Damon to start but Brodie will and I will be rooting for him. We all need to give the kid a chance (Now let's not turn this thread into a QB debate like all the others). We never play for a draft pick, the only team that I root for plays for the Vince Trophy. IMO.

sbenson9
08-24-2007, 12:56 PM
As long as Herm is the HC then we will NEVER draft a offensive lineman. We have a good QB in Croyle. It's only his second year and first one at the helm. Even Peyton had a rough first year as a starter, he was 3-13 his first year. I wanted Damon to start but Brodie will and I will be rooting for him. We all need to give the kid a chance (Now let's not turn this thread into a QB debate like all the others). We never play for a draft pick, the only team that I root for plays for the Vince Trophy. IMO.

Look what happened to Carr in houston. You could have broadway joe back there and he would stink with no protection. I dont know what the solution is. I dont think croyle is bad and yes he need time to develope but he is going to get his a$$ handed to him with no o line. WE will become 1 demensional with 10-1 running plays which means get priest off of pup because we are going to need them. I hope croyle gets a small taste of sucess and rolls with it. we have been 0-4 in preseason and done well in regular season and I have high hopes but I am nervous for the red and gold this year.:iamwithstupid:

Guru
08-24-2007, 01:08 PM
the defense looked good? the saints owned our "d'. and their two best wideout werent playing. they stopped them inside the 20, what once,twice, big deal. they let them get there with ease. you cant keep leting teams get there or everybody will score.

What he said. Count the first downs our D is giving up.

Chiefster
08-24-2007, 02:09 PM
The defense did not play well last night; our offense completely sucked.

Canada
08-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Hey, for the amount of time the D spent on the field we only gave up 30 points!! I just got tired of hearing the announcers say missed tackle!! I tried to have a beer every time they said it and even I couldn't keep up!!

chief31
08-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Hey, for the amount of time the D spent on the field we only gave up 30 points!! I just got tired of hearing the announcers say missed tackle!! I tried to have a beer every time they said it and even I couldn't keep up!!
Ouch!!!

Chiefster
08-24-2007, 02:58 PM

Glad I didn't watch the whole thing.

sbenson9
08-24-2007, 03:26 PM
hmmm:sign0103:

cpchief
08-24-2007, 05:38 PM

How can you say the starting defence did not play well last night? The score should have been 31-0 at half-time but thanks to our D it was only 13-0..

Now the non starting def ya it stunk

rolltideroll
08-24-2007, 11:51 PM
I agree with most of the posters thus far... and
actually there is some really good stuff submitted.

But the one recurring theme for the Offense is simply: "if the O-Line can't protect a Rookie QB, then there is going to be severe issues."

I agree! The comparison is not fair (I know,) but Brodie had much better O-line blocking at Alabama! And that is not a compliment to my beloved Bama.

After watching the game, it reminded me of the 2005 Iron Bowl (UA vs AU) where it was essentially a jailbreak for the defense.

I think Brodie has the potential to do really good things if given the time to operate and lead. This is not a knock against the o-line, but he has to have better pass blocking as a rookie. Just my humble opinion.

To be fair and complete, Brodie is not without blame. He has to continue to work hard, adjust and grow at the NFL level (the speed, the intensity...etc.)

rbedgood
08-25-2007, 01:51 AM
Drafting O-line likely wouldn't help anyhow...even 1st round Off. Tackles usually take 2-3 years to develop into top level players. The issue with KC is at Tackle which is why Tony G continues to be held in as a blocker. Actually I'd rather see them use him and LJ on opposite sides in hot routes, and have Kennison and Bowe just run. If the blitz is on that give Croyle choices if not time...

Chiefster
08-25-2007, 11:55 AM
How can you say the starting defence did not play well last night? The score should have been 31-0 at half-time but thanks to our D it was only 13-0..

Now the non starting def ya it stunk

This is exactly what I was thinking when I said the defense bent. don't get me wrong they still gave up 13 points which is still enough to lose the game given our current offense, but they did keep it close.

chief31
08-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Drafting O-line likely wouldn't help anyhow...even 1st round Off. Tackles usually take 2-3 years to develop into top level players. The issue with KC is at Tackle which is why Tony G continues to be held in as a blocker. Actually I'd rather see them use him and LJ on opposite sides in hot routes, and have Kennison and Bowe just run. If the blitz is on that give Croyle choices if not time...

It sure would have helped, had we drafted Winston Justice, in '06.