PDA

View Full Version : Report: Derrick Johnson available for a mid-round pick

yashi
10-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Derrick Johnson (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3172)

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reports that Chiefs LB Derrick Johnson would be available "for a mid-round pick" before Tuesday's trade deadline.

Johnson's best position is strong-side linebacker in a 4-3 system. Teams that would be a good fit include Chicago, St. Louis, Buffalo, Indianapolis and Oakland, but mid-round picks are still difficult for any club to surrender.I find it hard to believe that we're giving away a guy who was a 1st round pick a few years ago for a mid-rounder. It's not like he's been a huge bust. He hasn't been as good as we had hoped, but I still feel like he's our most talented ILB. I'd be surprised if some team doesn't jump on this opportunity.

Canada
10-19-2009, 05:34 PM
That will really suck if they trade him.

wildcat
10-19-2009, 05:35 PM
I think it would be a mistake to give him up for anything less than a 1st rounder. I doubt anybody would be willing to pay that price for him though. He seems to show up big for us when he is on the field.

Seek
10-19-2009, 05:49 PM
He is a free agent next year. Do any of you think he is going to re-sign with the Chiefs. Do you think the Chiefs will try to work out a new deal.

Any draft pick is worth it right now?

wildcat
10-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Actually, you have a good point Seek. I did not realize he would be an FA.

yashi
10-19-2009, 06:01 PM
He is a free agent next year. Do any of you think he is going to re-sign with the Chiefs. Do you think the Chiefs will try to work out a new deal.

I guess that's a good point. I wish he could have worked out under the new regime though.

brish
10-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Very good point Seek.
I think he has been dissapointing, and if we can get like a 3rd for him I think that would be good.
No one is going to give a 1st rounder for an underachieving LB'er from a struggling team.
I mean he wasn't able to beat Mays / Williams for a spot...

kilobytes
10-19-2009, 06:50 PM
I actually wouldn't mind trading him if we got something good in return like an OFFENSIVE LINEMAN!!!!! But that won't happen. But Vrabel isn't going to be with us much longer so I think we should hang on to him. Our LB's are pretty good even with out DJ.

wolfpack
10-19-2009, 07:08 PM
our inside LBers $uck. If we could get a second or even a high third, go for it. Like noted above, hes a FA next year and haily has pi$$ed him of enogh that he probably wont sign for us. Get what we can.

matthewschiefs
10-19-2009, 07:22 PM

thats why i am fully expecting him to be moved tomorow. I think its the best for the chiefs and DJ. Get something for him while you still can.

Hayvern
10-19-2009, 07:25 PM
I find it hard to believe that we're giving away a guy who was a 1st round pick a few years ago for a mid-rounder. It's not like he's been a huge bust. He hasn't been as good as we had hoped, but I still feel like he's our most talented ILB. I'd be surprised if some team doesn't jump on this opportunity.

I don't find it hard to believe at all. Haley does not like Johnson and will do anything to get him off this team. Why do you think he is not playing?

Hayvern
10-19-2009, 07:27 PM

I never quite understood the idea of giving up a known commodity for an unknown in the draft. The chance that DJ will be a better linebacker than any draft pick is a pretty good bet.

lucky_lefty
10-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Bears & Colts would probably be the only real bidders...no way Pioli trades within division and the Bills & Rams have way bigger issues than LB to be concerned about...Bears maybe but they already won't have 2 of their draft choices next year due to trades so that only leaves Colts....or the Pats (again)

honda522
10-19-2009, 08:17 PM
That will really suck if they trade him.
Yes it will.

Chieffaninfl
10-19-2009, 10:06 PM
We need players that fit into our new regimes system. Apparently he doesnt, and wont so get what you can I say.

bigpoppachief
10-20-2009, 03:04 AM
Yeah I ddint realize he is a FA next year if we could get a 2nd or a 3rd rounder I would be ok with that. I am mad because people are getting cut and traded but its business honestly all I care about is us going to the super bowl before I die and im 27 sooooooo Do WHAT IT TAKES :D

thekidd
10-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Bears & Colts would probably be the only real bidders...no way Pioli trades within division and the Bills & Rams have way bigger issues than LB to be concerned about...Bears maybe but they already won't have 2 of their draft choices next year due to trades so that only leaves Colts....or the Pats (again)

Dolphins fan here bc of all the rumors swirling over the current trade rumors. I heard the Eagles are interested in Johnson bc Omar Gaither is hurt and Jeremaih Trotter is terrible now. Just thought i would post that.

chief31
10-20-2009, 10:57 AM
I hope we trade DJ. I know we won't get anything more than a fifth round pick. But we aren't playing the guy anyway. Just let his misery end, already.

pbatrucker
10-20-2009, 11:07 AM
The Seahawks are another possiblity now.

Seek
10-20-2009, 01:19 PM
I never quite understood the idea of giving up a known commodity for an unknown in the draft. The chance that DJ will be a better linebacker than any draft pick is a pretty good bet.

After watching him in the pre-season against back ups. He looked completely lost. He is out of position. DJ should be playing OLB, but it is either Vrable or DJ...and we know who wins that spot.

Some people believe that players like DJ, have always been praised and given everything they wanted. They are on winning college teams and don't really know what it takes at the next level because they were always the elite and their pure talent did the job. When these players hit adversity in the NFl, they don't have that same motivation to work harder. The concept from some people in the media is that DJ is lazy, and is waiting for the job to fall to him.

I love DJ, and his jersey is the last I had purchased but he needs that chip on his shoulder to produce like everyone expected him to. Haley has tried to provide that chip, but it looks like DJ may need a change to get that motivation. Everyone knows he has the talent.

KristofLaw
10-20-2009, 08:31 PM
I hope we trade DJ. I know we won't get anything more than a fifth round pick. But we aren't playing the guy anyway. Just let his misery end, already.

Nahhhh..... at least I hope not, if this happens I may lose complete hope in the new regime as many here seem to be close to already.

Coach
10-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Trade deadline has come and gone with no trade. Bears would have made a lot of sense. I like DJ and wish we could work something out.

matthewschiefs
10-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Trade deadline has come and gone with no trade. Bears would have made a lot of sense. I like DJ and wish we could work something out.

I am realy surprised that he was not moved. Maybe hes getting out of Haileys dog house and we will see what he can do. Hopefuly they can work out a deal with him. I would have liked to see them deal him if they didnt think they could resign him.

Coach
10-20-2009, 09:33 PM
I think it would be a mistake to give him up for anything less than a 1st rounder. I doubt anybody would be willing to pay that price for him though. He seems to show up big for us when he is on the field.

I am realy surprised that he was not moved. Maybe hes getting out of Haileys dog house and we will see what he can do. Hopefuly they can work out a deal with him. I would have liked to see them deal him if they didnt think they could resign him.

Looks like I can wear my jersey for a little longer.

Canada
10-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Looks like I can wear my jersey for a little longer.

Is it a Red one?:D

Coach
10-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Is it a Red one?:D

:sterb184: :lamende: :sign0099: :brutale_smilies010:

Canada
10-20-2009, 09:51 PM
:sterb184: :lamende: :sign0099: :brutale_smilies010:

Im just askin'!! :bananen_smilies046:

yashi
10-21-2009, 09:16 AM
My perfect scenario is for DJ to get out of the doghouse, get a few chances to start, string together some huge games, and sign a nice extension.

pbatrucker
10-21-2009, 10:14 AM
I agree, DJ has the talent to be great. Seems he can't understand whats exspected of him. At least under the 2010 uncapped restrictions he will be a restricted free agent and we won't get nothing for him.
I was wondering, Vrabel is still a good player, but has lost a step and is not the pass rusher he once was. What if he moved inside and utilize DJ's speed and quicknes on the outside to get some more sacks. Just a thought.

yashi
10-21-2009, 10:22 AM
I agree, DJ has the talent to be great. Seems he can't understand whats exspected of him. At least under the 2010 uncapped restrictions he will be a restricted free agent and we won't get nothing for him.
I was wondering, Vrabel is still a good player, but has lost a step and is not the pass rusher he once was. What if he moved inside and utilize DJ's speed and quicknes on the outside to get some more sacks. Just a thought.

Anything is worth a try of course, although DJ is a little undersized for a 3-4 OLB. The only good one I can think of under 255 lbs or so is James Harrison. I don't know if he could take on a tackle 1 on 1. He would definitely be able to help defend those screen passes though that have killed us in some games being out there on the edge.