PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Trade Tank Tyler

stricken721
10-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Kansas City Chiefs - The Morning After – Washington (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/10/19/the_morning_after__washington/)

Vandelay
10-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Wtf?

stricken721
10-19-2009, 09:22 PM
I thought it was weird too. Never would have thought Tank would be traded.

matthewschiefs
10-19-2009, 09:23 PM
I think we might see alot of trades
untradeable
Cassel
Bowe
Succop
Thats it

Vandelay
10-19-2009, 09:25 PM
We better have gotten a 2nd rounder.

Why did we have to trade my current favorite player?

Glad I didn't order me a TT jersey like I was thinking about.

stricken721
10-19-2009, 09:26 PM
If Bowe was traded, I think many Chiefs fans would riot.

pantherfan
10-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Here with the panthers he will be in a 4-3..that needs another 3tech guy..

stricken721
10-19-2009, 09:47 PM
http://twitter.com/kb_kcstar We get a 5th rounder for Tank.

Vandelay
10-19-2009, 09:52 PM
http://twitter.com/kb_kcstar We get a 5th rounder for Tank.

I don't get it.
I don't get it.
I don't get it......

WTF

Bike
10-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Stockpiling draft picks. Ron Edwards mustuv impressed Haley enough to make Tank expendable...

lucky_lefty
10-19-2009, 09:59 PM
don't get it but they should've seen what they could've gotten from the Jets since they lost their starter for the year

Vandelay
10-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Stockpiling draft picks. Ron Edwards mustuv impressed Haley enough to make Tank expendable...
But a 5th? For a guy who has improved tremendously in the last year?

honda522
10-19-2009, 10:04 PM
I think we might see alot of trades
untradeable
Cassel
Bowe
Succop
Thats it
Let me add to your list. ;)

Brandon Flowers
Mike Vrabel
Tamba Hali :)

imcorrect
10-19-2009, 10:08 PM
For those of you that don't get it.

1. We now play a 3-4
2. Tank can't play DE in the 3-4
3. Tank couldn't even beat out Ron Edwards for the NT spot.
4. We are rebuilding and trying to stockpile draft picks
5. 5th rounder is a good trade for us

Bike
10-19-2009, 10:10 PM
But a 5th? For a guy who has improved tremendously in the last year?
I guess. I gotta trust these guys that they're building this team the right way...who knows what was going on behind the scenes between Tank and Todd...

Chieffaninfl
10-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Watch, heres what I think is about to happen. We traded Tank to Carolina, the pats dropped Cain, there is gonna be a trade for Julius Peppers to the Pats!!!! Tank fills the hole left by trading Peppers.

yashi
10-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Oh well.. I thought he was playing pretty well at NT, but I guess we're going to end up drafting or signing a legitimate starting NT in the offseason.

pantherfan
10-19-2009, 10:27 PM
don't get it but they should've seen what they could've gotten from the Jets since they lost their starter for the year
Tyler is prob 60 pounds too light for the jets

yashi
10-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Watch, heres what I think is about to happen. We traded Tank to Carolina, the pats dropped Cain, there is gonna be a trade for Julius Peppers to the Pats!!!! Tank fills the hole left by trading Peppers.

Peppers is a DE and Tank is a DT.

tornadospotter
10-19-2009, 11:04 PM
:armee_smilies114: No more Tank, well we better have plenty of arrows!

captainamerica
10-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Tank Tyler has been playing decently thus far, but he still isn't a legit 3-4 NT. He just doesn't have the right build to be great at that position. Tank was nothing more than a stop-gap solution for this season. If we can get rid of him for a 5th rounder than I think it's a good move for the franchise. Tank Tyler was just a short term fix, while the 5th round draft pick we received in this trade could be a building block that we can use to help establish ourselves as a winning football team moving forward in the future.

josh1971
10-20-2009, 12:27 AM
A completely stupid move.

KottkeKU
10-20-2009, 02:16 AM
They better hit on one of these late picks, seems we have a lot of them...

I liked Tank...looks like we are going to Draft/Trade for/ Sign via FA a new NT for our 3-4....thing is, i thought tank was one of the strongest guys in the league, and i thought he was playing pretty well at the NT position for his first time (his first season was under a 4-3....completely different).....he is still young, talented, and coachable...i think CAR got a great deal....

like i said, i just hope they hit on some of these late round trades for picks....

bigpoppachief
10-20-2009, 03:00 AM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!!!! F*&^^^^^^^^ This trade really makes me angry Just when tabnk is doing something Friggen christmas ! For a 5th rounder !? I swear to god they have to ruin a win with horrible news for me anyways i always have been a tank fan AHHHH lol sorry just frusterated

brish
10-20-2009, 03:03 AM
I didn't see this one comming tbh, I wonder who makes the roster now..

pbatrucker
10-20-2009, 05:06 AM
A big surprise to me!!! Now who goes into rotation with Edwards? I don't like this move at all.

Stumplifter
10-20-2009, 07:16 AM
I think Tank will flourish at Carolina in the 4-3, he'll have Brayton and Peppers on the outside. He will see A LOT less double teams. Not sure how I feel about the move from the Chiefs stand point.

They say it's a rebuilding year, so I expect to see other moves that don't sit well with the fans.

KCMASS
10-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Kansas City Chiefs - The Morning After – Washington (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/10/19/the_morning_after__washington/)

I really like Tank myself. But as other posters have mentioned, I don't think TT fit our D-scheme. Also...I'm taking a different route in terms of supporting the GM & coach this time around. I'm just happy that Carl & Herm are gone! Let's give this group another 2 years & see what they have in store. We need to draft OFFENSIVE LINEMAN!!! That was always a KC strength thru my KC years & it's painful to watch Matt running for his life!

yashi
10-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Same feelings as most. I always liked him because he was a big scary looking dude named Tank who bench presses sumo wrestlers, but like many have said he's a 4-3 DT and doesn't fit our scheme. Pioli is likely looking for a legitimate NT, someone who is a big wide 325+ lb body that can eat space.

hometeam
10-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Tank may not have fit, but a 5th rounder?
give me a break! a 5th rounder is next to worthless (ya ya dont give me the OMG YOU COULD GET A TOM BRADY)

I thought he was playing decently at NT and could improve, remember, he was the strongest guy out of his draft class.

Im not too happy with the move.

Then again, maybe herm/cp 2nd round talent was really a 5th round talent all along :/

yashi
10-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Tank may not have fit, but a 5th rounder?
give me a break! a 5th rounder is next to worthless (ya ya dont give me the OMG YOU COULD GET A TOM BRADY)

I thought he was playing decently at NT and could improve, remember, he was the strongest guy out of his draft class.

Im not too happy with the move.

Then again, maybe herm/cp 2nd round talent was really a 5th round talent all along :/

He was a 3rd rounder who hasn't panned out. What do you expect?

You don't get to drive a new car off the lot and sell it 3 years later for the price you paid.

hometeam
10-20-2009, 11:27 AM
my bad.. thought he was 2nd.

But yea these are football players not cars.

captainamerica
10-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Shaun Rogers is supposedly up on the trading block right now. I wonder if trading Tank is any indication that our franchise is going to make a move for him. I don't know maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

brish
10-20-2009, 12:21 PM
He's 30.. Im not sure I would give a whole lot for him, not in a rebuilding period.

yashi
10-20-2009, 12:36 PM
I'd love Rogers if he was a few years younger.... 30 is really pushing it.

Seek
10-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Threads like this kill me. Look Tank is not kick butt and taking names. This defense is getting destroyed for yards and Tank is part of that.

Why people think it is a stupid move to trade away players that have value to other teams but none to this team is beyond me.

I guess we could have kept him and continue sucking instead of moving on and improving this team.

Haley and Pioli are cleaning house with CP and Herm's trash. They gave Tank a chance and it was not working. It is clear he was not part of this teams future as a starter. If you can get anything for him, take it.

Seek
10-20-2009, 12:59 PM
This move does have me concerned in that the Chiefs may yet again draft DT in the first round next year. I wouldn't mine having Suh, but I am tired of D Line first day picks.

GlennBree
10-20-2009, 12:59 PM
hmmmmmmmm.........wow!

SIC J
10-20-2009, 01:04 PM
There could be many reasons he was traded. Its not like he was our superstar player or even near that level. I just hope who we get to replace him is.

H-townChiefsFan
10-20-2009, 01:14 PM
That only leaves one player from the 2007 draft that is on the active roster...Bowe (and he's got stones for hands). Rediculous, only need to look at the drafts from 2004 (0 players on roster), 2005 (2 on roster - no off/def starters) and 2006 (2 starters, 1 backup QB). :sign0098:

No wonder we suck. 3 starting players in four freaking drafts...terrible. Pioli certainly cannot do any worse.

pantherfan
10-20-2009, 01:22 PM
This move does have me concerned in that the Chiefs may yet again draft DT in the first round next year. I wouldn't mine having Suh, but I am tired of D Line first day picks.
Suh is not a 3-4 NT...

Seek
10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Suh is not a 3-4 NT...

He could play at DE.

jb908
10-20-2009, 01:44 PM
I was hoping to get a 4th rounder when i got the text but i guess a 5th is not bad. Everyone needs to remember. when you have a losing team. If there a player thats not excellent then they should be trading for a pick to build. Can't have a superbowl team with players that are Showing signs they could be average

yashi
10-20-2009, 02:29 PM
He could play at DE.

Dorsey, Jackson, Magee.... is there any value in taking another DE? Maybe we'll start 11 3-4 DEs. :D

chief31
10-20-2009, 03:00 PM
That only leaves one player from the 2007 draft that is on the active roster...Bowe (and he's got stones for hands). Rediculous, only need to look at the drafts from 2004 (0 players on roster), 2005 (2 on roster - no off/def starters) and 2006 (2 starters, 1 backup QB). :sign0098:

No wonder we suck. 3 starting players in four freaking drafts...terrible. Pioli certainly cannot do any worse.
That's hilarious!!!

You take over a team, and get rid of all of the previous management's players, then throw your arms in the air and say "See?!?!?! They left me with nothing!!!!"

Bravo.

Keyaron Fox - Top ILB for world champion Steelers
Jared Allen - Best defender in The NFL
Kris Wilson - Chargers (backup)
(I know. None of these guys were here when Haley/Pioli took over)

Derrick Johnson - (backup)
Dustin Colquitt - Team MVP

Jarred Page - Starter
Tamba Hali - Starter
Brodie Croyle (backup)
Bernard Pollard - Released to start for Texans

Dewayne Bowe - Starter
Kolby Smith - (backup)
Turk Mcbride - traded to Lions (backup) 1.5 sacks on Sunday
Tank Tyler - Traded

Add to that...

Tyler Thigpen - Traded (backup)
Damien Mcintosh - Released (backup)

Mcintosh - Played batter at ROT here last season, than anyone has this season.

Thigpen - Played better here last season than anyone has this season.

Pollard - Played at least as well here last season as anyone has this season.

Tyler - Played at least as well as anyone at NT this season.

That's four players who were doing well enough to be starters here, who have been removed from the team by the new management.

All of that is aside from the situation with DJ.

Just like Herm did when he was here, this new staff is doing everything possible to martyr themselves, so fans will accept another five year plan, instead of using the talent that was already in place.

Bike
10-20-2009, 05:43 PM
2 wins last year - not really a lot of talent already in place. You gotta at least try to shock the system - if for nothing else an attitude re-adjustment. At the end of next year I got a feeling we will having a different conversation...

Drunker Hillbilly
10-20-2009, 06:24 PM
That's hilarious!!!

You take over a team, and get rid of all of the previous management's players, then throw your arms in the air and say "See?!?!?! They left me with nothing!!!!"

Bravo.

Keyaron Fox - Top ILB for world champion Steelers
Jared Allen - Best defender in The NFL
Kris Wilson - Chargers (backup)
(I know. None of these guys were here when Haley/Pioli took over)

Derrick Johnson - (backup)
Dustin Colquitt - Team MVP

Jarred Page - Starter
Tamba Hali - Starter
Brodie Croyle (backup)
Bernard Pollard - Released to start for Texans

Dewayne Bowe - Starter
Kolby Smith - (backup)
Turk Mcbride - traded to Lions (backup) 1.5 sacks on Sunday
Tank Tyler - Traded

Add to that...

Tyler Thigpen - Traded (backup)
Damien Mcintosh - Released (backup)

Mcintosh - Played batter at ROT here last season, than anyone has this season.

Thigpen - Played better here last season than anyone has this season.

Pollard - Played at least as well here last season as anyone has this season.

Tyler - Played at least as well as anyone at NT this season.

That's four players who were doing well enough to be starters here, who have been removed from the team by the new management.

All of that is aside from the situation with DJ.

Just like Herm did when he was here, this new staff is doing everything possible to martyr themselves, so fans will accept another five year plan, instead of using the talent that was already in place.

Talent in place????? Bit of a stretch wouldn't you admit? They didn't play well last year and they certainly aren't playing well this year so why keep them around? These players are avg at best.

Coach
10-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Many of our starters would be backups on other teams. Management is cleaning house for good reason IMO.

KottkeKU
10-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Macintosh was not drafted by the Chiefs either...

You can also throw in previous drafts from the Vermeil era that not a single one is on the team other than DJ, who looks to be on his way out....

Siavii (think i saw him playing vs us with Dallas? could be wrong...)

Eddie Freeman...yes thats right, Eddie Freeman....

both were first day picks maybe 5 years ago....those picks should be staples of our defense right now...

josh1971
10-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Junior Siavii? A staple? He played for us in 2004 and 2005, then didn't play until Dallas picked him up this year. He has 5 tackles. So... he's playing about right to the (low) level he had with us.

Freeman had 4 sacks his first year, and I don't know what happened, but his second and third years were pitiful.

chief31
10-22-2009, 04:44 AM
2 wins last year - not really a lot of talent already in place. You gotta at least try to shock the system - if for nothing else an attitude re-adjustment. At the end of next year I got a feeling we will having a different conversation...

I don't judge the talent of the players that harshly, because of the coahing that was here. Herm had to let go of the offense, and they finally started showing signs of life.

But he never did set the defense free from his failed philosophy. And the system continued to fail.

Saying that the players had no talent, just because they weren't able to make a crappy system work, just doesn't seem right to me.

Talent in place????? Bit of a stretch wouldn't you admit? They didn't play well last year and they certainly aren't playing well this year so why keep them around? These players are avg at best.

Again, difficult to play well, when you are being ordered to play wrong.

Many of our starters would be backups on other teams. Management is cleaning house for good reason IMO.

Yeah, but our backups are going off and starting for better teams.

Managament is cleaning house for the same reasons that Herm did it. Just because they don't want anyone to say that they did it with the last guy's team.

Our current starters, most of whom would be backups on other teams, are only the guys that Haley is choosing to start, over the guys who would be starters elsewhere.

The guys that we have been geting rid of have been better than, or at least as good as, the guys we are keeping, and often far younger, with the potential to improve and become strong long-term starters.

It's pretty hard not to notice that Tyler Thigpen played alot better here last season than Cassel has, so far. Yet the clearly better performer is the one we fired, and the inferior performer got a massive contract, as he continues to start.

The ROT position was pretty well covered last season, with McIntosh. And noone has been able to even go unnoticed there since. Yet the guy who did well is gone, while the garbage stays.

Safety? Call it a push, if you like, but Brown is not playing any better than Pollard, who is far, far younger, with long-term potential. And again, the we have kept the guy who will retire soon, over the young guy with alot of upside.

Tank Tyler was playing very well at NT, and yet we ditched the guy with all the long-term potential, for an old Edwards, and whatever we can scrape from the mid-season FA market.

I know alot of people like to have faith in what Haley is doing. But have all of these guys been so talentless to not even be backups here?

Are the guys that we are keeping really playing so much better, even with the "superior" systems that are in place?

Is Tamba's 18 tackles and three sacks (in six starts) really so good as to keep DJ's 8 tackles 1 sack and 1 Int (in five very brief appearances) on the bench?

Has Dewayne Bowe really played so poorly, to have been on the trading block?

Rather you think those guys are really good, or really bad, they are better on the field, than what we are running with in their places.

That makes them more valuable, even as backups, than what we have kept.

chief31
10-22-2009, 04:49 AM
Macintosh was not drafted by the Chiefs either...

You can also throw in previous drafts from the Vermeil era that not a single one is on the team other than DJ, who looks to be on his way out....

Siavii (think i saw him playing vs us with Dallas? could be wrong...)

Eddie Freeman...yes thats right, Eddie Freeman....

both were first day picks maybe 5 years ago....those picks should be staples of our defense right now...

Herm got rid of Vermiel's guys, so that he could say " and the guy before me left absolutely nothing here for me to work with".

Exact same thing that we are seeing happening right now.

Eddie Freeman? Junior Siavii?

Jared Allen. Kawika Mitchell.

We haven't done all that poorly in the draft. Just had coaches geting rid of guys that the other guy drafted.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-22-2009, 11:03 AM

You say the back ups are leaving to start for better teams, aren't most teams better than the Chiefs right now? These players are avg at best like I said. Again this team was under the cap and had money left in the bank. At some point Hunt is going to have to go out and get a stud at one position or another and bring in someone who is a true leader. These guys have nobody to look to for guidance except for the screaming coach. While I agree there is a place for that, if you have players in place that actually know how to play, some of that screaming goes away. This team is soooo far away from being any good it's not funny.

I hear people say we are just a couple of steps away....I couldn't disagree more!!!! We need help at almost every single position! Your point about players leaving to be good on another team happens all of the league and has for years. I have seen it in Az for 15+ years!! IMO, if a player goes to a team and is just avg., he really isn't doing anything different than he did with our team. As you know, many players are made to look like they are better simply because of the talent of the guys next to and around him. IMO, our entire team is made up of these guys and we need 2 or 3 really good players to make the rest of the team better. Look what Dawkins has done for Denver's secondary. They were ok last season with Bailey but they are a different unit with Dawkins this year! Many other examples but just one that came to mind.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Herm got rid of Vermiel's guys, so that he could say " and the guy before me left absolutely nothing here for me to work with".

Exact same thing that we are seeing happening right now.

Eddie Freeman? Junior Siavii?

Jared Allen. Kawika Mitchell.

We haven't done all that poorly in the draft. Just had coaches geting rid of guys that the other guy drafted.
I really don't think Jared Allen falls into the catagory of "getting rid of another coaches guy" just so he could say the coach left him with nothing.........