PDA

View Full Version : KC sports fans...

complexrealmz
10-26-2009, 11:47 AM
My fellow KC sports fans...

Between the Royals and now the Chiefs, it is becoming harder and harder to follow my beloved hometown teams. We easily are the worst pro sports city in America, yet we have loyal and dedicated fans every year that show support and faith. Both teams have been "rebuilding" for several years now. There has been very little, if any, progress, and in many cases regression from previous years.

My question is, if the current trend continues for years to come, how much more can you take? Being a KC sports fan is like being in an unhealthy relationship or addiction. You still watch and hope for any sign of somethin positive, yet you know inside that failure is inevitible.. Soon we start looking for any signs of success, no matter how insignificant. Like maybe we can get a first down in the first half, or maybe we could gain more than 5yards in the first quarter, ect...

Dont get me wrong. I dont plan on abandoning my local teams all together, even if i wanted to I couldnt do that. It just seems that having any faith at all in my teams only leads to dissapointment. Rooting for another team just isnt the same. I can never convince myself to do it. On the flip side, if the Chiefs or R's become playoff contenders, think how sweet it would be for us deprived KC fans for all these years..

After yesterday and almost the mid point of the season it is clear the Cheifs are terrible from top to bottom. Im not going to put everything into one game, but it was one of the most embarrasing games i remember watching.

So... How much more can yall take? Or are you like me, stuck in an abusive relationship with no way out?

Canada
10-26-2009, 11:50 AM
As long as I have beer I can keep watching.

yashi
10-26-2009, 11:54 AM
I don't really know... it's hard. The Chiefs have the most loyal fans in the world, but they're not being rewarded for their loyalty. It's really frustrating.

Vandelay
10-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Myself and 3 brothers sat there in the rain behind a pack of about 20 jackass charger fans who were in our face the whole game.
We stayed until the clock ran out, then had a 3 hour drive in soaking wet clothes to look forward to.

Connie Jo
10-26-2009, 03:08 PM
My fellow KC sports fans...

Between the Royals and now the Chiefs, it is becoming harder and harder to follow my beloved hometown teams. We easily are the worst pro sports city in America, yet we have loyal and dedicated fans every year that show support and faith. Both teams have been "rebuilding" for several years now. There has been very little, if any, progress, and in many cases regression from previous years.

My question is, if the current trend continues for years to come, how much more can you take? Being a KC sports fan is like being in an unhealthy relationship or addiction. You still watch and hope for any sign of somethin positive, yet you know inside that failure is inevitible.. Soon we start looking for any signs of success, no matter how insignificant. Like maybe we can get a first down in the first half, or maybe we could gain more than 5yards in the first quarter, ect...

Dont get me wrong. I dont plan on abandoning my local teams all together, even if i wanted to I couldnt do that. It just seems that having any faith at all in my teams only leads to dissapointment. Rooting for another team just isnt the same. I can never convince myself to do it. On the flip side, if the Chiefs or R's become playoff contenders, think how sweet it would be for us deprived KC fans for all these years..

After yesterday and almost the mid point of the season it is clear the Cheifs are terrible from top to bottom. Im not going to put everything into one game, but it was one of the most embarrasing games i remember watching.

So... How much more can yall take? Or are you like me, stuck in an abusive relationship with no way out?

Very well written and articulate post! I agree with you overall.

As far as how much more can I take...as long as the Chiefs exist I'll be watching on Earth till I die, and in Heaven too if God will allow me, hahaha. My dad became a fan in '63 when the Chiefs moved from Dallas, and I was raised with red & gold blood. I'm proudly carrying on a 'family Chiefs tradition'. I've been waiting since I was 13 yrs old for my Chiefs to return to a Super Bowl...a long time waiting, and I'll keep on waiting, as patiently as possible...praying it happens 'someday'. I want to experience 'my' team going to a Super Bowl as an adult...I barely remember Super Bowl IV...with exception of thinking Lenny Dawson was cute, hahaha. :)

I agree with Canada too...beer helps watching!

For me personally...there is so much more to being a Chiefs fan in my heart and soul, than simply supporting my team win or lose, watching games win or lose. In fact, the most important aspect for me with relationship to being a Chiefs fan...is the camaraderie I share with fellow Chiefs friends and fans. We are in a sense a 'family'.

As well, I've raised my children & their children to bleed red & gold, and our Chiefs family traditions have as well provided many wonderful memories over the years.

When it's all said & done...the memories shared with my own family relating to the Chiefs, as well as, fellow Chiefs friends and fans...are what matter most with being a Chiefs fan...from victories to disappointments to tailgating to watching at home with others.

Without the fans...the related traditions and memories...a pro sports team is really 'nothing' of significance in life at all.

:beer: and Chiefs memories shared with others...I'm good win or lose! hahaha

mejohnm
10-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Just want you all to know. I watch KC from Essen, Germany. I will always watch them even if they are in the dumps as they are now. Our day will come though, when KC will shine. And I will smile as I saw them go from nothing to something great. It will happen, just look at Arizona.

mejohnm
10-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Wanted to edit my message so I can add this:

My loyality to KC is something like Spock and Kirk friendship. I shall and always will be your fan!

ctchiefsfan
10-26-2009, 05:27 PM
I've been a Chiefs fan since the late '60s. I've been through the ups and downs. I will ALWAYS be a Chiefs fan.

But I am getting older and the "down years" hurt more. DAMN!!! I want another Superbowl!

I cuss the coaches like everybody else when I don't like their calls. I'm a veteran "second guesser" and "Monday Morning Quarterback", but the one thing I am convinced of is that LJ HAS TO GO! He's doing more harm than good.

I'm going to go drink a beer to better days.

Connie Jo
10-26-2009, 06:50 PM
I've been a Chiefs fan since the late '60s. I've been through the ups and downs. I will ALWAYS be a Chiefs fan.

But I am getting older and the "down years" hurt more. DAMN!!! I want another Superbowl!

I cuss the coaches like everybody else when I don't like their calls. I'm a veteran "second guesser" and "Monday Morning Quarterback", but the one thing I am convinced of is that LJ HAS TO GO! He's doing more harm than good.

:bananen_smilies046:

IlovetheChiefs
10-26-2009, 07:29 PM
The Chiefs and Royals will always ROCK as far as I'm concerned. :)

Ryfo18
10-26-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm debating on holding off having kids until the Chiefs are good, just so I can at least convince them to be Chiefs fans.

tornadospotter
10-26-2009, 10:45 PM

:bananen_smilies046:I was a fan from the late 60's on, mid 60's i just knew that a football, was a ball.

pbatrucker
10-27-2009, 07:26 AM
I'm debating on holding off having kids until the Chiefs are good, just so I can at least convince them to be Chiefs fans.
At this rate you might be 60 with kids in junior high!!!

OPLookn
10-27-2009, 01:14 PM

I saw something to that extent when I went to the game. A father who had on a Chiefs jersey (couldn't see whose it was) had his son in tow. The son was wearing a chargers jersey! I was very disappointed to see that but that's the status quo. Kids I think want teams that win constantly more than adults do.

I understand everyone is upset and frustrated after the Edwards era but let's give both Pioli and Haley a couple of years to do their job. Last I heard 26 of the players released didn't have a job in the nfl. Cap space or not to go out and get good to great players would have bankrupted the team.

I'm getting frustrated too but realize that everyone from Pioli down to Succop are fresh and need time to learn and get things right. Do we have the best players to get the job done? We're seeing the answer is a resounding no but I feel our talent level has increased.

As for some people venting about why DJ isn't playing.... DJ was notorious for taking plays off, missing plays here and there but we're quickly forgetting that. The other thing I'm trying to figure out is if Haley is putting everyone in position slots and that's how the team will work since DJ seems to be in on 3rd downs mainly. Thoughts?

Connie Jo
10-27-2009, 01:49 PM
That just ain't right in my 'Chiefs world' for one of my own to be wearing a rival jersey! I know, to each their own & all that jazz, but still! I don't think I'd be walking next to my kin if they were wearing a rival jersey...kid or not, hahaha. It goes beyond rivalry, it's about principle for me.

I'm a firm believer in hometown pride and loyalty in every aspect possible...which is of great benefit beyond the obvious..with instilling solid values & principles in all aspects. I believe teaching & raising my kids, & grandkids now...to be loyal to the Chiefs taught/teaches loyalty in other more important ways too...full circle so to speak.

I passed on my Chiefs blood from day of birth to my kids, and followed through with grandkids too! LOL They've never known, or thought to be loyal to any team other than the Chiefs...it's just the way it is in my family.

True story...as told to me by my daughter & her son...my grandson:

He was 5 at the time, and his paternal grandma bought him a Raiders t-shirt. In her defense...she wasn't an NFL fan, didn't know any better, haha...she bought it at a garage sale new with tags.

So she gives this shirt to my grandson...he was in literal shock, hahaha. He told her with much emotion, "nanna, that team is BAD! I don't want that shirt, my other grandma hates them! They're mean to the Chiefs is why!"

My daughter not wanting the other grandma's feelings to be hurt, tells her it's not that big of a deal, and they take the shirt pretending as if it's okay. Well, later that night my daughter emptys her kitchen trash, and what does she find...but the Raiders shirt buried beneath the other trash pushed to the bottom, in an attempt to hide it so it wouldn't be noticed!

My grandson had thrown the shirt away!!! hahahaha

My grandson is 11 now, and still wearing his Chiefs gear with much pride, no matter win or lose! My grand-daugher will be 6 next month, and she too is a big Chiefs fan! She even tried talking her mom into letting her get a Chiefs Arrowhead tattoo on her ankle like grandma has, hahaha. Of course that won't happen...till she's 18 & if she still want's one then...which I hope she does! She has her little Chiefs earrings, necklaces, all of it...and wears it every game day! :)

dkennedy2323
10-27-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm a firm believer in hometown pride and loyalty in every aspect possible...which is of great benefit beyond the obvious..with instilling solid values & principles in all aspects. I believe teaching & raising my kids, & grandkids now...to be loyal to the Chiefs taught/teaches loyalty in other more important ways too...full circle so to speak.

Great points here. :sign0142:

Loyalty is the key to being a fan... especially in KC. And being a loyal fan leads to being a loyal person.

But as Tiger Woods frequently says... Winning takes care of everything.

Connie Jo
10-27-2009, 02:42 PM
I want to add...that we make being Chiefs fans a family affair, which of course helps aid in my teaching loyalty to the Chiefs, & so on. We attend Draft Day at Arrowhead as a family, and get together here at my house on Sundays for games...I cook dinner of course, Chili, whatever...and it's a family get together, which bonds us not only as a family, but as a family of Chiefs fans. It's all in how you approach being a Chiefs fan I suppose, and with our family...it truly is in our blood so to speak, haha.

Here are some photos of my grandson at Draft Day, and attending his first Chiefs game a few yrs ago...this is how you raise your family to be loyal Chiefs fans and everyone having a great time together as family creating cherished memories too! :)

This is my favorite, although my grandson 'almost' had his eyes closed when the camera flashed. He is meeting Super Bowl HOFer Curtis McClinton. Curtis was great! He showed my grandson his Super Bowl ring, told him stories of SB IV...a priceless experience as a young Chiefs fan for my grandson, & me! :)

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/10/45.jpg

Oh! And my grandson is all BOY! haha One of his favorite things to do at Draft Day is flirt with the Cheerleaders, hahaha:

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/10/46.jpg

Another Draft Day year!

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/10/47.jpg

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/10/48.jpg

And another!

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/10/49.jpg

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/10/50.jpg

Attending his very first Chiefs game! I waited until he was a bit older, so he would remember the experience...and it was a GREAT game! We were tied, thought we might go into OT, but we beat the Chargers with a last minute FG!! The crowd noise was AWESOME!!

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/10/51.jpg

Coach
10-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Cute kid Connie!

Coach
10-27-2009, 05:25 PM
I saw something to that extent when I went to the game. A father who had on a Chiefs jersey (couldn't see whose it was) had his son in tow. The son was wearing a chargers jersey!

That would not fly in my house. Not on my dime.

IlovetheChiefs
10-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Very nice pics Connie. Love all the beautiful Chiefs items and, of course, Arrowhead Stadium. See that makes the point right there: The Chiefs (and Royals for baseball) give a good feeling like no other team can, regardless of if the current squads are winning or losing. :)

Bike
10-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Very nice pics Connie. Love all the beautiful Chiefs items and, of course, Arrowhead Stadium. See that makes the point right there: The Chiefs (and Royals for baseball) give a good feeling like no other team can, regardless of if the current squads are winning or losing. :)
Absolutely. And thanx for the pix Connie...:bananen_smilies046:

Connie Jo
10-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks y'all! My grandkids are the lights of my life!! It's a lot more fun being a grandma than being a mom was at times, hahaha. AND...I'm fortunate that I had my kids in my early 20's, so I can enjoy (hopefully) many years with my grandkids! :)

kilobytes
10-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Even the Wizards are struggling.

IlovetheChiefs
10-28-2009, 07:58 PM
As are the Sacramento Kings. They got real good (finally) the early part of this decade. But have hit rock bottom the last couple years. I still like when they win because they used to be the Kansas City Kings.

Kid Azteca
10-29-2009, 08:51 PM
On a positive note. They were on South Park last night and DIDN'T get killed.

Canada
10-29-2009, 08:57 PM
That would not fly in my house. Not on my dime.You can't force them. I am a Chiefs fan for me. If my kids want to be fans too then that is great but when I was a kid someone tried to "force me to be a Toronto Maple Leafs Fan" and I hate them more than any other hockey team in the league. I will let my kids decide who they like. I will definitely make it easier to be a Chiefs fan but if u think you can force someone to be a Chiefs fan is just setting yourself up for disappointment!!

Connie Jo
10-30-2009, 06:42 PM
You can't force them. I am a Chiefs fan for me. If my kids want to be fans too then that is great but when I was a kid someone tried to "force me to be a Toronto Maple Leafs Fan" and I hate them more than any other hockey team in the league. I will let my kids decide who they like. I will definitely make it easier to be a Chiefs fan but if u think you can force someone to be a Chiefs fan is just setting yourself up for disappointment!!

I agree, you can't force, it usually will backfire. However, I do believe most kids want to please their parents & adults in their life they look up to and respect...so in that aspect, it's fairly easy to influence, haha! The more fun you make it, the more easier it is to influence. :D

greg3564
10-30-2009, 08:43 PM
I don't consider the Herm Edwards years as any sort of "rebuilding." That was a crime that was perpetrated on the fans of KC by Herm and Carl. Neither knew what the hell they were doing. I believe, for the first time since Vermeil left, that we have the right pieces in place. It will take a couple more seasons though.

The Royals? Good luck on that. I'm a Texas Rangers fan, and we have turned that team around the last couple of seasons, so it can be done.

nigeriannightmare
10-30-2009, 11:55 PM
As long as I have beer I can keep watching.

let's not forget about the wacky tabaccy either...

matthewschiefs
10-31-2009, 12:05 AM
I don't consider the Herm Edwards years as any sort of "rebuilding." That was a crime that was perpetrated on the fans of KC by Herm and Carl. Neither knew what the hell they were doing. I believe, for the first time since Vermeil left, that we have the right pieces in place. It will take a couple more seasons though.

The Royals? Good luck on that. I'm a Texas Rangers fan, and we have turned that team around the last couple of seasons, so it can be done.

A crime is what it is. Now could me stangleing them be considered a crime?

Canada
10-31-2009, 05:00 PM
let's not forget about the wacky tabaccy either...
That helps me forget after the game!!:D

Hayvern
11-01-2009, 01:54 AM
As are the Sacramento Kings. They got real good (finally) the early part of this decade. But have hit rock bottom the last couple years. I still like when they win because they used to be the Kansas City Kings.

You're aging yourself now. I bet you remember when the Arizona Cardinals used to the the St Louis Cardinals too!

:fan_wave2:

IlovetheChiefs
11-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Oh yeah Hayvern! I remember the Jim Hart "Air Coryell" days well, heh heh.

As well as the great Nate Archibald on the KC Kings! :)

But... I was just a YOUNG CHILD during those days so I'm still a young feller, heeheehee.