PDA

View Full Version : So how do you like Herm now?

TBrady
08-24-2007, 09:13 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/245273.html

Hello Chiefs fans, my name is Tim Brady, a diehard NY Jets fan and I was just wondering what the current feelings of Herm Edwards was now?

Alot of Jets fans wanted him gone long before it was even rumored that he was eyeing the soon to be vacated Chiefs job.

When we tried telling Kansas City fans what they were in for, most just chalked it up as sour grapes because he left us, but we were actually happy to get Mangini and couldn't be happoer right now, we are just wondering if the K.C. fans are fianlly seeing what we have seen from Herm already, for 6 days a week, he is a great preacher man, on the 7th day he is like a deer in the headlights on the sidelines.

luv
08-24-2007, 09:32 PM
He came in to a team that was on the decline. I think I'll give him more than one season to make an impression. Thanks for your concern.

Sick Dog
08-24-2007, 09:48 PM
I guess all of the New York Jets forums are taken up with how they wished Pennigton left with Edwards. There is one reason you made the playoffs last year and thats a weak schedule lets see about this year, you will be lucky to win 4 games. Don't worry you will get to say hello to your good friend Herm on Dec 30th where you going to get your clocks cleaned.:bash:

TBrady
08-24-2007, 11:42 PM
I guess all of the New York Jets forums are taken up with how they wished Pennigton left with Edwards. There is one reason you made the playoffs last year and thats a weak schedule lets see about this year, you will be lucky to win 4 games. Don't worry you will get to say hello to your good friend Herm on Dec 30th where you going to get your clocks cleaned.:bash:

We will be lucky to win 4 games????? try the other way around! the Chefs will be lucky to win 4 games with good ol' Herm running things!

Hey no problem, I was just curious if fans were calling for his head yet, I guess not yet, but it is coming. I have nothing against the Chiefs, they were a good team under Vermeil, and I look forward to the meeting on Dec 30th, maybe by then you will all be agreeing with me if you suffer more losses like the last one against the Saints.

Like Jason Whitlock said in that article, "Get ready for a long year!"

luv
08-25-2007, 12:02 AM
We will be lucky to win 4 games????? try the other way around! the Chefs will be lucky to win 4 games with good ol' Herm running things!

Hey no problem, I was just curious if fans were calling for his head yet, I guess not yet, but it is coming. I have nothing against the Chiefs, they were a good team under Vermeil, and I look forward to the meeting on Dec 30th, maybe by then you will all be agreeing with me if you suffer more losses like the last one against the Saints.

Like Jason Whitlock said in that article, "Get ready for a long year!"
I have a feeling it would be a long year no matter who was coaching. Why don''t you go troll elsewhere? Or do you have anything to contribute other than smack talk against Herm?

Guru
08-25-2007, 12:02 AM
More Jets trolls.

TBrady
08-25-2007, 12:25 AM
I didn't come here to talk smack,if I have come accross like that I am sorry, I wish no ill will towards the Chiefs, I do not dislike the Chiefs, I was just curious what the general feeling towards Herm is now by the majority of Chiefs fans.

Once I get my answer I have mo problem leaving, so far it seems all are still in favor of him, if I am wrong, please feel free to let me know, another Chiefs board I read seemed to be split about 50-50.

Also, how much of the running game do you think Priest will get this year to take the load off of Larry? or do you think Larry will take the brunt of the carries again this year? thanks.

Guru
08-25-2007, 12:30 AM
I didn't come here to talk smack,if I have come accross like that I am sorry, I wish no ill will towards the Chiefs, I do not dislike the Chiefs, I was just curious what the general feeling towards Herm is now by the majority of Chiefs fans.

Once I get my answer I have mo problem leaving, so far it seems all are still in favor of him, if I am wrong, please feel free to let me know, another Chiefs board I read seemed to be split about 50-50.

Also, how much of the running game do you think Priest will get this year to take the load off of Larry? or do you think Larry will take the brunt of the carries again this year? thanks.

Just that most of the Jets fans I have come across on Chiefs boards have only been there to rub salt in the wound. Since you have stated that is not your intention I will not refer to ya as a troll anymore.

That being said, I don't like Herm. But we are stuck with him.

luv
08-25-2007, 12:35 AM

I don't see Priest coming off of the PUP unless something drastic happens. I believe that LJ will play a big role in our running game again, but hopefully Croyle will gain the experience to make better judgement calls. If he can effectively pass more so we don't have to depend so heavily on our running game, I think we'll be better off. Of course, we will need to work on our o-line and receivers as well. I think we're looking decent defensively. We're making QB's do their check downs and do more passing on flats as opposed to down field.

TBrady
08-25-2007, 01:09 AM
Really? I thought bringing Priest back that he was going to factor in more on the Offense, of course Larry is the primary back, but after Larry had a career high in carries last year, and with a young inexperienced QB, and a young group of WRs, that the running game will be a focus again, and Priest would lighten the load for Larry.

Luv, what is your feelings on Herm? can he be a winner? does he need a good group around him to win? is he too stubborn in his ways not to adapt to certain situations?

I see him as a great motivator, he is a players coach, possibly too much where Vets get too much favoritism, but he needs a good Offensive Coordinator and Defensive Coordinator to call the plays, he is not an Xs and Os guy.

Now where Belechick is the exact opposite, he IS a great Xs and Os guy but seems to mumble when he talks and I have to admitt I did not see him succeeding without Parcells and I was wrong, it seems Belichick hs been more successful out of Parcells shadow where Parcells hasn't been able to do much after he and Belichick split ways.

Guru
08-25-2007, 01:22 AM
Really? I thought bringing Priest back that he was going to factor in more on the Offense, of course Larry is the primary back, but after Larry had a career high in carries last year, and with a young inexperienced QB, and a young group of WRs, that the running game will be a focus again, and Priest would lighten the load for Larry.

Luv, what is your feelings on Herm? can he be a winner? does he need a good group around him to win? is he too stubborn in his ways not to adapt to certain situations?

I see him as a great motivator, he is a players coach, possibly too much where Vets get too much favoritism, but he needs a good Offensive Coordinator and Defensive Coordinator to call the plays, he is not an Xs and Os guy.

Now where Belechick is the exact opposite, he IS a great Xs and Os guy but seems to mumble when he talks and I have to admitt I did not see him succeeding without Parcells and I was wrong, it seems Belichick hs been more successful out of Parcells shadow where Parcells hasn't been able to do much after he and Belichick split ways.

I would take Herm as a talent scout any day. I really don't like him as a coach at all. No killer instinct. Not that that matters with our inept offense right now.

rbedgood
08-25-2007, 01:43 AM

I think this is a very good description of Herm, except it leaves out one thing...I think he is a good evaluator of talent also. He would do well as a GM, or as a head coach (if and only if he had 2 strong coordinators.)

luv
08-25-2007, 01:44 AM

I'm pretty new to the whole understanding football well thing. Any opinions I offer should be taken with a grain of salt. Also, I'm sorry if I came across as harsh earlier. I'm very protective of things that I'm a part of, whether it be a family, friendship, internet BB...lol. Alrighty....

I can see where you see Herm as being a motivator. It kind of burns me to see him tell people that things are okay when they're not. Two missed field goals are not okay. Interceptions and bad judgement calls are not acceptable. However, I know that he is dealing with a lot of rookies/newer players that need to keep their confidence built, especially during game time. I've heard people say that they believe that Herm will play a vital role in rebuilding the team, but that he won't be the one that takes us to a Super Bowl. From what I've seen, I could agree with that (as hopeful as I am otherwise). I don't know a lot about our coaching staff. I've learned a lot about them from watching Hard Knocks on HBO. As for Herm, I really haven't decided yet. I think it will take me paying closer attention to things this year with the better understanding of things than what I had last year. I really don't know if this answers your question or not. Just typing what I'm thinking, so I'm not even sure if it will make sense...lol.

Guru
08-25-2007, 01:50 AM
I'm pretty new to the whole understanding football well thing. Any opinions I offer should be taken with a grain of salt. Also, I'm sorry if I came across as harsh earlier. I'm very protective of things that I'm a part of, whether it be a family, friendship, internet BB...lol. Alrighty....

I can see where you see Herm as being a motivator. It kind of burns me to see him tell people that things are okay when they're not. Two missed field goals are not okay. Interceptions and bad judgement calls are not acceptable. However, I know that he is dealing with a lot of rookies/newer players that need to keep their confidence built, especially during game time. I've heard people say that they believe that Herm will play a vital role in rebuilding the team, but that he won't be the one that takes us to a Super Bowl. From what I've seen, I could agree with that (as hopeful as I am otherwise). I don't know a lot about our coaching staff. I've learned a lot about them from watching Hard Knocks on HBO. As for Herm, I really haven't decided yet. I think it will take me paying closer attention to things this year with the better understanding of things than what I had last year. I really don't know if this answers your question or not. Just typing what I'm thinking, so I'm not even sure if it will make sense...lol.

This is the NFL. It is NOT ok. Do your job or we will find somebody else who can.

luv
08-25-2007, 01:54 AM
I would take Herm as a talent scout any day. I really don't like him as a coach at all. No killer instinct. Not that that matters with our inept offense right now.
That's what I'm thinking. No killer instinct. With some teams, that might work. When developing and training up young talent, they need more than motivational speeches. I really don't know yet.

Guru
08-25-2007, 01:58 AM
That's what I'm thinking. No killer instinct. With some teams, that might work. When developing and training up young talent, they need more than motivational speeches. I really don't know yet.

I remember him last year when Coach Cowher was decimating us and Herm kept looking across the field at him like he was breaking a rule or something. Looked like a big baby to me.

"Bill, how could you do that to me?"

"Sorry Herm, my team needed that! You could learn something from this."

Probably didn't.

rbedgood
08-25-2007, 02:15 AM
As for the kicker...isn't Mike Vanderjagt out there still...I know he had a rough time with Parcells and never got along with Peyton Manning...but over his career he's been nails...

Guru
08-25-2007, 02:28 AM
As for the kicker...isn't Mike Vanderjagt out there still...I know he had a rough time with Parcells and never got along with Peyton Manning...but over his career he's been nails...

Nah. He has blown enough of the important ones that I wouldn't want him.
Damn liquored up kickers.

Bighurt27
08-25-2007, 02:46 AM
Herm got us to the playoffs last year with a pretty mediocre team IMO so I'll give him another year before I start calling for his head.

luv
08-25-2007, 02:55 AM
Herm got us to the playoffs last year with a pretty mediocre team IMO so I'll give him another year before I start calling for his head.
Exactly, I don't think he's came out of the gate that strong, but he was able to do a few things. I'm looking forward to watching more closely this season. Bring on regular season!!!

Guru
08-25-2007, 02:58 AM
Actually, San Fran got us into the playoffs last year.

Chiefster
08-25-2007, 03:23 AM
Actually, San Fran got us into the playoffs last year.

Yup; we backed into the playoffs plain and simple. Other teams around the league had to do our job for us.

Sick Dog
08-25-2007, 10:40 AM
The verdict is still out on Herm. All I know is that in his first year he took the Chiefs to the playoffs. I did like Dick Vermeil but the Chiefs only went to the playoffs one time in his tenure. Edwards has already accomplished that in his first season. I am not sure why the Jets fans came to dislike Herm so much besides the fact on how he left the team, but the Jets went to the playoffs 3 out of the 5 seasons he coached. I don't know about anyone else but I will take that. All I know is that if you get in to the playoffs you never know what can happen just ask Joe Namath.:director:

wolfpack
08-25-2007, 11:47 AM
dickie and hermmie are more alike than people think. dickie had the numer #1 offense but forgot about the defense. hermmie has in the top 20 defense but forgot about the offense. one relies on its offense to out scroe the other team. the other hopes it can stop the other teams. no middle ground for dickie or so far for hermmie.

Chiefster
08-25-2007, 12:02 PM
The verdict is still out on Herm. All I know is that in his first year he took the Chiefs to the playoffs. I did like Dick Vermeil but the Chiefs only went to the playoffs one time in his tenure. Edwards has already accomplished that in his first season. I am not sure why the Jets fans came to dislike Herm so much besides the fact on how he left the team, but the Jets went to the playoffs 3 out of the 5 seasons he coached. I don't know about anyone else but I will take that. All I know is that if you get in to the playoffs you never know what can happen just ask Joe Namath.:director:

See the two reply's above yours. :D

sling58
08-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Yup; we backed into the playoffs plain and simple. Other teams around the league had to do our job for us.

Yea we got in with some Crisco and a prybar last year!

Sick Dog
08-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Hey "You play to win the game!" "You play to win the game!"

The Chiefs won their game and the other teams did not!:lol:

Chiefster
08-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Yea we got in with some Crisco and a prybar last year!

Heh!!!

luv
08-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Heh!!!
I'm not even going to think about why Crisco reminded you of KY gel.

Chiefster
08-25-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm not even going to think about why Crisco reminded you of KY gel.

He was talkin about lubrication was he not? :p

Love the sig BTW!

TBrady
08-25-2007, 02:20 PM

Believe me, on every Jet board, when the rumors started floating around about Herm taking over for Vermeil, you couldn't've heard happier Jets fans, by that time we were all tired of his gimmick.

He became known to ride his Vets to death while leaving the young guys sitting on the bench, just like he did with Larry Johnson last year, he ran Curtis Martin to record number of carries while Lamont Jordan just sat on the bench until he left for the Raiders. even kept playing an ineffective Curtis Conway while Jericho Cotchery, now our starter, just sat on the bench.

He would accept no responsibilities an had no problem throwing his coordinators under the bus, rather than adapting his game plan to fit the players strengths, he would force the players to adapt to his system even if it didn't fit their playing styles.

Believe me I could go on, basically, he came in as an inexperienced Head Coach, never even having been a Defensive Coordinator, only a Defensive Backs Coach, we knew it would take some learning for him to develop, but it didn't take long before we realized he would never take us to a Super Bowl, the playoffs we did make were Parcells team, just like that KC team he took to teh playofs last year was Vermeil's team, and by never inserting the young guys in until they would leave and only playing the Vets the team got old fast.

Here is a thread from the archives of a Jets board when Herm was still there, asking how everyone would feel if Herm came back, and the consensus was we don't want him back, we hope he goes to KC.

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11775&highlight=Herm+Edwards

Chiefster
08-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Believe me, on every Jet board, when the rumors started floating around about Herm taking over for Vermeil, you couldn't've heard happier Jets fans, by that time we were all tired of his gimmick.

He became known to ride his Vets to death while leaving the young guys sitting on the bench, just like he did with Larry Johnson last year, he ran Curtis Martin to record number of carries while Lamont Jordan just sat on the bench until he left for the Raiders. even kept playing an ineffective Curtis Conway while Jericho Cotchery, now our starter, just sat on the bench.

He would accept no responsibilities an had no problem throwing his coordinators under the bus, rather than adapting his game plan to fit the players strengths, he would force the players to adapt to his system even if it didn't fit their playing styles.

Believe me I could go on, basically, he came in as an inexperienced Head Coach, never even having been a Defensive Coordinator, only a Defensive Backs Coach, we knew it would take some learning for him to develop, but it didn't take long before we realized he would never take us to a Super Bowl, the playoffs we did make were Parcells team, just like that KC team he took to teh playofs last year was Vermeil's team, and by never inserting the young guys in until they would leave and only playing the Vets the team got old fast.

Here is a thread from the archives of a Jets board when Herm was still there, asking how everyone would feel if Herm came back, and the consensus was we don't want him back, we hope he goes to KC.

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11775&highlight=Herm+Edwards

Gee, thanks so much. :p

Chiefster
08-25-2007, 02:37 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/247259.html

Huard named as Chiefs starting quarterback
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
Damon Huard has won the Chiefs quarterback competition and will start the regular season opener Sept. 9 against the Texans in Houston.

Coach Herm Edwards seemed to be leaning toward starting Brodie Croyle. But Edwards apparently changed his mind after Croyle's disappointing play in Thursday night's preseason loss to New Orleans.

Huard, because of a sore calf muscle, did not play against the Saints. He did not lead the Chiefs to any touchdowns in either of the first two preseason games, but he had some success last season filling in for Trent Green.

I have just posted in the Sportsbook furom.

Herm SUCKS!

Guru
08-25-2007, 03:27 PM
What do I think of Herm now?

He is a damn spineless puppet.

Chiefster
08-25-2007, 04:25 PM

Took the words right off my keyboard!

luv
08-25-2007, 04:43 PM

My opinion of him has suddenly gone in that direction as well. I'm still watching to see what he does with what he's got though. Besides, every boss has a boss.

TBrady
08-25-2007, 05:26 PM
So do you think he just picked Huard because he is concerned about this season, rather than getting their future, Croyle, reps and experience as a starter for the future?

Chiefster
08-25-2007, 05:27 PM
So do you think he just picked Huard because he is concerned about this season, rather than getting their future, Croyle, reps and experience as a starter for the future?

Nope; I think Herm picked Huard cause he's Carl's lap dog.

Guru
08-25-2007, 05:40 PM
No, he picked Huard because he has become Carl's mouthpiece.

luv
08-25-2007, 05:43 PM
I really thought that he was leaning towards Croyle. Carl seemed to be all about winning now now now. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when the discussion before the decision was made was going on.

sling58
08-25-2007, 05:46 PM
I really thought that he was leaning towards Croyle. Carl seemed to be all about winning now now now. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when the discussion before the decision was made.

Carl wants to win now now now because I think he knows he is on the hot seat with Hunt. Clark and family just gave millions to help start renovating Arrowhead. They want to fill the seats to pay for that. Clark wants to brings a trophy home and is pressuring CP to get it for him IMO!

m0ef0e
08-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Carl wants to win now now now because I think he knows he is on the hot seat with Hunt. Clark and family just gave millions to help start renovating Arrowhead. They want to fill the seats to pay for that. Clark wants to brings a trophy home and is pressuring CP to get it for him IMO!

CP should be under LOTS of pressure. The guy has been here 19 years and we haven't won a playoff game in 14. If Clark lights a fire under his ***, right on!

luv
08-25-2007, 06:48 PM
CP should be under LOTS of pressure. The guy has been here 19 years and we haven't won a playoff game in 14. If Clark lights a fire under his ***, right on!
You honestly think we're going all the way this year? I don't think we will, regardless of who our QB is.

m0ef0e
08-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Nobody's even taken a snap in the regular season... How can you say we don't have a chance?? This is football, anything can happen. I'm not prophetic and I'm not saying we WILL go all the way. We just might, though.

luv
08-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Nobody's even taken a snap in the regular season... How can you say we don't have a chance?? This is football, anything can happen. I'm not prophetic and I'm not saying we WILL go all the way. We just might, though.
Anything is possible, you're right. Likely, no. Possible, yes.

m0ef0e
08-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Anything is possible, you're right. Likely, no. Possible, yes.

Right on. I agree... Not likely (as much as I hate to say it).

chief31
08-25-2007, 07:39 PM
I really thought that he was leaning towards Croyle. Carl seemed to be all about winning now now now. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when the discussion before the decision was made was going on.

Episode 4, of Hard Knocks will be next week. Maybe we will be allowed to be that fly on the wall.

Brady. I think you already know my opinion of Herm, but in case you don't remember, I dislike him, as a head coach. I think he would work well, as a defensive coordinator though. Offensive line, DAMMIT!!!!!

chief31
08-25-2007, 07:45 PM

I have a different opinion about why Huard got awarded the starting job. I think Herm became convinced that by starting Huard, the offensive line will get some time to get themselves on the same page, while Croyle gets a little more time to prepare himself, as he is not ready yet.

Of course that assumes alot, on Herms part. I doubt he is that aware of anything involving the offensive line.

luv
08-25-2007, 07:57 PM
I have a different opinion about why Huard got awarded the starting job. I think Herm became convinced that by starting Huard, the offensive line will get some time to get themselves on the same page, while Croyle gets a little more time to prepare himself, as he is not ready yet.

Of course that assumes alot, on Herms part. I doubt he is that aware of anything involving the offensive line.
How exactly is Brodie supposed to prepare himself from the sideline?

chief31
08-25-2007, 08:31 PM
How exactly is Brodie supposed to prepare himself from the sideline?

It happens all the time. Young guys learn from watching.

luv
08-25-2007, 10:18 PM
It happens all the time. Young guys learn from watching.
I can watch someone play piano for forever. It takes actually doing it to learn.

chief31
08-25-2007, 10:27 PM
I can watch someone play piano for forever. It takes actually doing it to learn.

Playing quarterback in the NFL isn't the same as playing piano. (Which is something that someone can learn alot of, by watching.) There is a reason that young quarterbacks are made to sit and watch for a season or two. So much of what you need to learn, can be learned from the bench.

Chiefster
08-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Playing quarterback in the NFL isn't the same as playing piano. (Which is something that someone can learn alot of, by watching.) There is a reason that young quarterbacks are made to sit and watch for a season or two. So much of what you need to learn, can be learned from the bench.

True, but at some point they have to be given the chance to put into practice that which they have learned. Experience is the best teacher.

chief31
08-25-2007, 10:53 PM
True, but at some point they have to be given the chance to put into practice that which they have learned. Experience is the best teacher.

Is there some kind of fire? That has us wanting to bench Rich Gannon?

Chiefster
08-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Is there some kind of fire? That has us wanting to bench Rich Gannon?

Sorry dude ya lost me, but then again I ain't the sharpest knife in the butchers shop.

chief31
08-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Is there some kind of fire? (Hurry)That has us wanting to bench Rich Gannon? (Damon Huard)

Sorry dude ya lost me, but then again I ain't the sharpest knife in the butchers shop.

Does that help any?

Chiefster
08-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Does that help any?

Some; I think Huard has a ways to go to be compared to Rich Gannon, but that's just my opinion. Oh, I understood what you meant by "fire"; just wasn't getting the Rich Gannon analogy. Thanks for the clarification. :D

Guru
08-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Does that help any?

Huard is no Gannon.

chief31
08-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Some; I think Huard has a ways to go to be compared to Rich Gannon, but that's just my opinion. Oh, I understood what you meant by "fire"; just wasn't getting the Rich Gannon analogy. Thanks for the clarification. :D
Well, this is about where Gannon was. Have a great season, in relief of an injured starter. The fact that he has yet to write the rest of that story, is exactly why I want him to play here. One reason, anyway. I also think that it would be highly beneficial to Croyle to wait until our O-line gets some improvement.

Chiefster
08-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Huard is no Gannon.

Agreed!

chief31
08-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Huard is no Gannon.
When Gannon was here, Huard is exactly Rich Gannon.