PDA

View Full Version : Matt Cassel

KEEPSNAPPIN
10-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Right now, I don't think Matt Cassel is living up to the hype that everybody was giving him. I know KC doesn't have the best offensive line in th league, but he is making some pretty poor throws when he has receivers wide open. It's a big difference when you come from New England where you have a really good offensive line. It can make you look like your a good quarterback even if your not. I know he stepped up last year and won alot of games for his team and you have to give him credit for that. I am trying to understand how you can go and give somebody 66 million dollars when they have only played 1 year? I think Kanasas City could have went out and signed a vet quarterback for a year and spent that type of money somewhere else and tried to draft a quarterback this year if needed. I'm just trying to understand what is going through the heads of the people at the front office. Not to mention, Todd Hailey is a horrible play caller. The guy calls running plays when we're down 30. Just my thoughts, what does everybody else think?????

Chief Tyler
10-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks for starting another thread containing nothing but what has been said in 2/3 of the other recent threads.

Oh, and welcome to the crowd.

yashi
10-29-2009, 10:13 AM
All I know is that I've been less frustrated with Cassel than I have with the other 10 starters on offense. Granted that's not saying a whole lot.

KEEPSNAPPIN
10-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Real warm welcoming Chief Tyler, don't be nice or anything.

matthewschiefs
10-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Cassel has not played amazing but he has played well. He needs a better offense around him then he will do just what the chiefs signed him to do.

KCINNYC
10-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Real warm welcoming Chief Tyler, don't be nice or anything.

No kidding...
About a nine on the tension scale Tyler

Hayvern
10-29-2009, 12:14 PM
He has been the ONLY guy really putting out game after game for the Chiefs on offense. I guess one could say Jamal Charles is also doing his best.

The others may very well be doing the best they can, but their best would not be enough to start on a college team.

I know Cassel is struggling, but I am very impressed with the man's toughness, I have every bit of respect for him and what he is going through and I hope he makes it through the season. I also hope he makes it through the season without becoming so gunshy to be able to play the position again.

honda522
10-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Here is the problem.

YOU CANT...CANT compare Matt Cassel of the Chiefs, to Matt Cassel of the NE Patriots.

Matt Cassel in NE:
- Experienced Coach.
- Pro Bowl Wideouts.
- Pro Bowl Line
- An OC
- A pretty dam good defense.
- A superbowl team
Matt Cassel KC:
- First year head coach
- No OC
- Worst OL in the league
- A toilet bowl team (It hurt to say that)
- Wideouts who can't run routes or catch passes.

You simply can't compare the Matt Cassel of now as the Matt Cassel of last year. So quit trying to do it.

matthewschiefs
10-29-2009, 01:37 PM
He has been the ONLY guy really putting out game after game for the Chiefs on offense. I guess one could say Jamal Charles is also doing his best.

The others may very well be doing the best they can, but their best would not be enough to start on a college team.

I know Cassel is struggling, but I am very impressed with the man's toughness, I have every bit of respect for him and what he is going through and I hope he makes it through the season. I also hope he makes it through the season without becoming so gunshy to be able to play the position again.

Cassel surprises me each and every time he pops right up after takeing a big hit. He has defently proven that he can take a hit. I look forward to seeing what he can do when he actualy has an o line in front of him.

KEEPSNAPPIN
10-29-2009, 01:40 PM
I understand that he is trying hard and he should be. With the money they have put into this guy, he is going to be around a while so I hope he can do a good job. With that being said, we better go out get some good offensive lineman or he won't have a chance to be any good. If he is going to be any good then he needs time to pass because he is to slow to run.

KEEPSNAPPIN
10-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Honda 522, Im not trying to compare Cassel when he was at New England and now that he is with KC. I'm saying that people hyped this guy up way to much for never proving anything. Well except in high school. Im trying to make the point that it was dumb move to pay him 66 million dollars cuz he's not worth it. I would rather have vick straight out of prison as my quarterback than cassel. chiefs could have paid Vick 5 million for 2 years and I guarantee he would win more games than cassel would. Why? Because he can run, scramble out and make the plays. You would think our O-line was playing for a high school if you have never watched them play before. They are terrible. I hope Cassel can lead the chiefs to a winning season in the time he is here but I won't count that happening.

honda522
10-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Honda 522, Im not trying to compare Cassel when he was at New England and now that he is with KC. I'm saying that people hyped this guy up way to much for never proving anything. Well except in high school. Im trying to make the point that it was dumb move to pay him 66 million dollars cuz he's not worth it. I would rather have vick straight out of prison as my quarterback than cassel. chiefs could have paid Vick 5 million for 2 years and I guarantee he would win more games than cassel would. Why? Because he can run, scramble out and make the plays. You would think our O-line was playing for a high school if you have never watched them play before. They are terrible. I hope Cassel can lead the chiefs to a winning season in the time he is here but I won't count that happening.

Your telling me that Cassel can't move?

This thread is quickly becoming :lamende::sign0104:

KEEPSNAPPIN
10-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Compared to who? Vick, no.

honda522
10-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Compared to who? Vick, no.
Maybe you should first learn to quote. Next, ofcourse he can't move like Vick, but Vick can't throw like Cassel. I can bet you my life, if Vick were there, he would be stripped of the ball many times.

I assume you love Larry Johnson too.

Connie Jo
10-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Welcome to the Crowd KeepsNappin, haha.

Unfortunately, the Chiefs organization has done what you have suggested too many times...short term fixes with 1-2 yr players signed, which is part of why we're now a losing team.

We need to focus long term if we're ever gonna have a realistic shot at returning to the Super Bowl, for now...Cassell fits into the Chiefs long term plan. I'm trying to be patient for at least another season or two...it's gonna take that to really judge Cassell and the Chiefs team overall, including coaches.

Connie Jo
10-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Here is the problem.

YOU CANT...CANT compare Matt Cassel of the Chiefs, to Matt Cassel of the NE Patriots.

Matt Cassel in NE:
- Experienced Coach.
- Pro Bowl Wideouts.
- Pro Bowl Line
- An OC
- A pretty dam good defense.
- A superbowl team
Matt Cassel KC:
- First year head coach
- No OC
- Worst OL in the league
- A toilet bowl team (It hurt to say that)
- Wideouts who can't run routes or catch passes.

You simply can't compare the Matt Cassel of now as the Matt Cassel of last year. So quit trying to do it.

Excellent point!

pbatrucker
10-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Really for a NFL QB Cassell is costing the Chiefs very little. Hell, for the pounding he's taking they should give him combat pay.
Cassel is doing fine, no OL, recievers dropping balls and one of the worst yards after catch stats in the league.
He's not perfect, but considering what he's working with, he is doing ok.

chiefnationrepresentarmy
10-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I think we made quite a few mistakes. youth movement should have started with jared allen. cassel is looking more like scott mitchell than matt schaub. brandon carr cant cover, and our team has zero chemistry. Todd Haley likes to berate everyone for everything. and LJ, well enough said. get the hell out of kc before he breaks priests record. please dump that lazy douche bag. So we have to get better at tight end and wr and rb and OL and pass rush and coverage. gonna be a tough next couple years my friends, a tough couple years.

chiefnationrepresentarmy
10-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I think we made quite a few mistakes. youth movement should have started with jared allen. cassel is looking more like scott mitchell than matt schaub. brandon carr cant cover, and our team has zero chemistry. Todd Haley likes to berate everyone for everything. and LJ, well enough said. get the hell out of kc before he breaks priests record. please dump that lazy douche bag. So we have to get better at tight end and wr and rb and OL and pass rush and coverage and tackling. gonna be a tough next couple years my friends, a tough couple years.

KEEPSNAPPIN
10-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Matt Cassel is averaging 142 yards passing per game. He has 9 td passes in 7 games. He has 126 yards rushing. I don't care how bad your O-line is, those are pathetic stats.

Vandelay
10-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Matt Cassel is averaging 142 yards passing per game. He has 9 td passes in 7 games. He has 126 yards rushing. I don't care how bad your O-line is, those are pathetic stats.
Keep on trollin.:lamende:

Connie Jo
10-29-2009, 03:47 PM

How well do you think Montana would've done with our current caliber of play on the offense? With a few possible exceptions lacking skill & talent, an NFL QB is only as good as his team...his team will make or break him. Cassell showed what he is cabable of with a good offense working together as a team.

I've witnessed many well thrown passes by Cassell that were dropped, or completely missed by his team mates...of which easily could've increased his stats had those passes been caught.

honda522
10-29-2009, 03:50 PM
OMG you a severe problem.. Put Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, anyone back there with that protection and recivers that drop the balls and see what his stats look like. :sign0053::sign0104:

pbatrucker
10-29-2009, 04:30 PM
If he had a big red "S" on his chest he would't need a team around him.

matthewschiefs
10-29-2009, 04:43 PM

The O line is not just bad its horrible. Its hard to put up the big numbers if your being put on your back 2 secounds after you get the ball. Matt Cassel is not the major problem with the Chiefs right now. Can he play better sure he can. But to just look at those stats is not a good way to judge what he has done. Look at some others.

Sacks pressures and hits. I am not sure what those numbers are but I am sure if hes not the most hit QB in the NFL he is near the top. Its fine to expect him to put up big numbers but if the Reciver does not have time to run there routes or they just dont do a good job it is hard to put up numbers.

TDs to INT. Matt Cassel is doing his job in this department. He has 9 td pass and 5 ints. Thats almost a 2 for 1 td to int. Keep in mind at least one of those INTS hit the reciver right in the chest the reciver did not do a good job to catch the ball it bounced off his arms and got picked. Cassel at this point is not to Win games hes more of a game manager at this point with this offense.

To put the blame on just the QB is never the answer. Sure his numbers are not that impressive. But look at this. Would you rather have Jamrcus Russel. Cassel is doing a better job then a number 1 pick with a worse O line. Its not all Cassels fault. Give the chiefs time to put a o line that resembles an NFL o line and then judge.

Chief Razorback
10-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Maybe Haley's calling running plays on 3rd and long all the time because he knows the defense is going to t-off on Cassel and he doesn't want him to get killed trying to finish the season?

kilobytes
10-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Your telling me that Cassel can't move?

This thread is quickly becoming :lamende::sign0104:
He is slow. He is not a scrambler at all. Got sacked the most in the league behind a Patriot Offensive line. Wasn't even good up there. Couldn't even hit moss very well. Hasn't proven his 60 million plus dollars. Even when he gets descent protection he misses targets. I know the WR aren't helping much but passes are way off half the time. I don't care about the hanging in there crap. Even Len Dawson said he was pretty bad last game on Dawson's QB critique segment. The only thing positive he said was that he is hanging in there. Thigpen is a much better fit with this O line. Put up almost as good numbers as Cassel and got sacked way fewer times. Cassel OVERALL has been descent.

kilobytes
10-29-2009, 07:31 PM
OMG you a severe problem.. Put Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, anyone back there with that protection and recivers that drop the balls and see what his stats look like. :sign0053::sign0104:
Honestly those QB's find ways to adjust. They would put up better numbers than that easily. Cassel is no where near these elite QB's.

honda522
10-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Honestly those QB's find ways to adjust. They would put up better numbers than that easily. Cassel is no where near these elite QB's.
You don't even give him a chance. He hasn't even started a game since HS up until last year.

Canada
10-29-2009, 08:43 PM
He is slow. He is not a scrambler at all. Got sacked the most in the league behind a Patriot Offensive line. Wasn't even good up there. Couldn't even hit moss very well. Hasn't proven his 60 million plus dollars. Even when he gets descent protection he misses targets. I know the WR aren't helping much but passes are way off half the time. I don't care about the hanging in there crap. Even Len Dawson said he was pretty bad last game on Dawson's QB critique segment. The only thing positive he said was that he is hanging in there. Thigpen is a much better fit with this O line. Put up almost as good numbers as Cassel and got sacked way fewer times. Cassel OVERALL has been descent.

Do you even watch football? Most of that descriptions sounds like LJ. The one guy on our team who is showing signs of life is the guy you dont like.

Connie Jo
10-29-2009, 08:52 PM

I agree Thigpen was a good QB with our offense currently, & had hoped he would stay...but Thigpen is gone, and Cassell is the QB of the Chiefs future so it appears. With that thought in mind, judging the overall play so far...Cassell can't be expected to win games with the current offense playing the low caliber they are.

Regardless of his mistakes...of which are to be expected as he re-adjusts to a new team & overall plan, it takes a TEAM to win, not just one man, and it takes a TEAM to lose, not just one man.

Len Dawson also has said more than once during his career...when a game is won the QB is the hero, when it is lost he is the villian, regardless...and it appears to be that way, judging from some opinions read.

tornadospotter
10-29-2009, 08:54 PM
I will just say this, I am not impressed yet, in the Coach, the QB, and the offensive scheme.

honda522
10-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Len Dawson also has said more than once during his career...when a game is won the QB is the hero, when it is lost he is the villian, regardless...and it appears to be that way, judging from some opinions read.
:bananen_smilies046:

matthewschiefs
10-29-2009, 08:58 PM

While I do agree that as of right now Cassel has not earned his 60 million well thats about all i agree with.

Thigpen first. Thigpen put up good numbers but he had Tony G to throw to. Tony G helped to make thigpen look better then what he was. Thigpen is more Mobil then Cassle yes but Thigpen also tends to throw interceptions. Thats something that Cassle has done a good job of not doing for the most part. Hes had 2 games out of 7 were he has thrown picks. With Thigpen that number would probley be higher and this team can NOT win if they are turning the ball over.

Cassle in new england was not that good? Did you watch football a year ago. The Pats still put up points. There D was not that good and that hurt them in games. The pats also had wes welker banged up most the season so one of there weapons was not 100% That hurt them as well. Yes Cassle can tend to hang on to the ball to long at times but to say he was the problem in New England is just showing you either are trying to be a troll or you do not understand the game of football. The Pats went 10-5 in games that Matt Cassel started I think thats pretty good. Give Cassle time to devolpe and give the chiefs time to put an o line in front of him. Then see what he can do. To blame one person for the offense is just plain stupid to be honest.

Canada
10-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Seems like some here always complained about the "quick fixees" that got us here in the first place and now that we are going about it the right way, its not happening fast enough. There is always someone second guessing and no one wants to give this rebuild the time it needs. I know, I know...we have been rebuilding for years. The truth is we have not been rebuilding we have been repairing and it ain't working. If u want overnight results it ain't happening so come back in 3 years and start cheering again.

honda522
10-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Seems like some here always complained about the "quick fixees" that got us here in the first place and now that we are going about it the right way, its not happening fast enough. There is always someone second guessing and no one wants to give this rebuild the time it needs. I know, I know...we have been rebuilding for years. The truth is we have not been rebuilding we have been repairing and it ain't working. If u want overnight results it ain't happening so come back in 3 years and start cheering again.
Well said..Rep added.

We have been putting band-aids on big wide open cuts.

Connie Jo
10-29-2009, 09:06 PM

AGREE 100%
:bananen_smilies046:

matthewschiefs
10-29-2009, 09:08 PM

The quick fixes never entirly worked. This team will be good in a couple of years I realy belive that. I am willing to wait and cheer my football team no matter what or how hard it can be at times. GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!

tornadospotter
10-29-2009, 09:08 PM
:sign0023::sign0151:

kilobytes
10-29-2009, 09:16 PM
I agree Thigpen was a good QB with our offense currently, & had hoped he would stay...but Thigpen is gone, and Cassell is the QB of the Chiefs future so it appears. With that thought in mind, judging the overall play so far...Cassell can't be expected to win games with the current offense playing the low caliber they are.

Regardless of his mistakes...of which are to be expected as he re-adjusts to a new team & overall plan, it takes a TEAM to win, not just one man, and it takes a TEAM to lose, not just one man.

agreed. Though Cassel isn't a problem for me right now at all. Its the offensive line who I put most of the blame on then the Head Coach.

ktmrider
10-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Right now, I don't think Matt Cassel is living up to the hype that everybody was giving him. I know KC doesn't have the best offensive line in th league, but he is making some pretty poor throws when he has receivers wide open. It's a big difference when you come from New England where you have a really good offensive line. It can make you look like your a good quarterback even if your not. I know he stepped up last year and won alot of games for his team and you have to give him credit for that. I am trying to understand how you can go and give somebody 66 million dollars when they have only played 1 year? I think Kanasas City could have went out and signed a vet quarterback for a year and spent that type of money somewhere else and tried to draft a quarterback this year if needed. I'm just trying to understand what is going through the heads of the people at the front office. Not to mention, Todd Hailey is a horrible play caller. The guy calls running plays when we're down 30. Just my thoughts, what does everybody else think?????

Let me ask you this KEEPSNAPPIN, do you think Trent Green was a serviceable QB? Well if you compare the numbers between Green and Cassel through 7 games, in their first year with the Chiefs, I think you will find it very interesting. Lets take a look, shall we?

Trent Green: Age 31 ___Matt Cassel: Age: 27
TD: 8 _______________TD: 8
INT: 12 _____________INT: 5
Completion %54.55 ___Completion% 54.8
QB Rating: 70.47 _____QB Rating: 73.2

Now keep in mind that this is through 7 games for Green and only 6 for Cassel because of the injury the first week. Also keep in mind probably the biggest factor of all, Green did this behind arguably 1 of the best O-lines ever assembled, while Cassel is stuck behind 1 of the leagues worst O-lines. All stats were taken from Pro-football-reference.com and have not been altered in any way. I myself think Cassel will be just fine for many years to come once we get him some protection up front. Go Chiefs!!!!!!:toast2:

yashi
10-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Let me ask you this KEEPSNAPPIN, do you think Trent Green was a serviceable QB? Well if you compare the numbers between Green and Cassel through 7 games, in their first year with the Chiefs, I think you will find it very interesting. Lets take a look, shall we?

Trent Green: Age 31 Matt Cassel: Age: 27
TD: 8 TD: 8
INT: 12 INT: 5
Completion %54.55 Completion% 54.8
QB Rating: 70.47 QB Rating: 73.2

Now keep in mind that this is through 7 games for Green and only 6 for Cassel because of the injury the first week. Also keep in mind probably the biggest factor of all, Green did this behind arguably 1 of the best O-lines ever assembled, while Cassel is stuck behind 1 of the leagues worst O-lines. All stats were taken from Pro-football-reference.com and have not been altered in any way. I myself think Cassel will be just fine for many years to come once we get him some protection up front. Go Chiefs!!!!!!:toast2:

Good post, I had forgotten that Green was so bad his first year. It wasn't a great OL yet however, Willie Roaf wasn't a Chief yet I don't think.

ktmrider
10-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Good post, I had forgotten that Green was so bad his first year. It wasn't a great OL yet however, Willie Roaf wasn't a Chief yet I don't think.

Yea, I think your right, but that line was still a lot better than what we have at this point. :bananen_smilies046:

SAPHOJUNKIE
10-30-2009, 03:14 PM
agreed. Though Cassel isn't a problem for me right now at all. Its the offensive line who I put most of the blame on then the Head Coach.

Yeah, that's freaking genius. The guy takes over one of the most unsuccessful teams in history and seven games in you blame him for the team still losing.

How about I fill a room with pig crap, then tell you to clean it. After a half hour, I'm coming in and telling you "it's dirty in here."

Some people, man...

kilobytes
10-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah, that's freaking genius. The guy takes over one of the most unsuccessful teams in history and seven games in you blame him for the team still losing.

How about I fill a room with pig crap, then tell you to clean it. After a half hour, I'm coming in and telling you "it's dirty in here."

Some people, man...
If you would notice that I never blamed us losing because of him at all:lamende:.......all you posts are just attacking me.

The offensive line is who I blame for almost all our problems on offense.....

Connie Jo
10-30-2009, 06:18 PM

I had to go back and read, as to why it was assumed, that you were placing blame on Cassel, and I believe the post above is the culprit, haha. Your post does have an overtone of placing blame on Cassel, so I can see how it may have been taken out of context.

It's all good, we each have a right to our opinions, regardless, thanks for clarifying with saying you were not blaming Cassel. :)

greg3564
10-30-2009, 06:32 PM
I can't believe anyone is criticizing Cassel. He is behind one of the worst, if not THE worst, O lines in the NFL right now. The dude barely has time to drop back let alone throw the ball without getting killed. There isn't a QB in the NFL that could do much better. Add in the fact that the WR's are dropping balls and are inconsistent and let's just hope our investment isn't hurt before the season is over.

honda522
10-30-2009, 07:28 PM
I can't believe anyone is criticizing Cassel. He is behind one of the worst, if not THE worst, O lines in the NFL right now. The dude barely has time to drop back let alone throw the ball without getting killed. There isn't a QB in the NFL that could do much better. Add in the fact that the WR's are dropping balls and are inconsistent and let's just hope our investment isn't hurt before the season is over.
I can, the QB is almost always to be pointed at for a loss. Its just the way things are.

Next to coaching.

nigeriannightmare
10-30-2009, 11:59 PM

I was fortunate enough to meet Mr. Cassel tonight and he is not an imposing figure. I have total respect for the man and his toughness because he stands tall in that pocket knowing he is gonna get killed. I half joked about getting the biggest and baddest left tackle in college but he said Man I hope so. He has no line, no running back, no wide receivers, no hall of famer tight end to bail him out, what are you expecting from the guy.

matthewschiefs
10-31-2009, 12:03 AM
I can, the QB is almost always to be pointed at for a loss. Its just the way things are.

Next to coaching.

Its unfair but your right thats how things are.

Vandelay
10-31-2009, 12:18 AM
I was fortunate enough to meet Mr. Cassel tonight and he is not an imposing figure. I have total respect for the man and his toughness because he stands tall in that pocket knowing he is gonna get killed. I half joked about getting the biggest and baddest left tackle in college but he said Man I hope so. He has no line, no running back, no wide receivers, no hall of famer tight end to bail him out, what are you expecting from the guy.
If your going to throw that out there the least you could do is tell us about it. How? Where? I need to know.

Hayvern
10-31-2009, 03:46 AM

Here is the problem with even Thigpen still being here. We are not running that type of offense anymore. That ship sailed when Chan was given his walking shoes. Haley is not remotely interested in running that type of offense here at KC and so he is going to force these guys to play a traditional offense, even if it kills Cassel in the process.

Cassel CAN scramble, at one time he was leading the team in rushing yards. I guaratee you that he is being told not to run as much. I would bet dollars to donuts Haley is telling him to stand firm and trust the other playmakers on the team and to only run in the last resort.

Vince Young and Michael Vick he is not!

yashi
10-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Cassel was 2nd in the NFL in rushing among QBs to only Tyler Thigpen last year.

nigeriannightmare
10-31-2009, 12:57 PM
If your going to throw that out there the least you could do is tell us about it. How? Where? I need to know.

I work at a hotel in Lake of the Ozarks and he and his wife are in town for the weekend. When I walked by him n the Lobby I said man that looks like Matt Cassel, but he's too skinny to take those sunday hits he's been taken. Then he came into the restairant and I went to the front desk and made sure that was him. It was, had my sister-in-law get my Cassel jersey and chatted with him a little. Down to earth and a gentleman, and I mean gentleman. When I asked him to sign the jersey he said things are gonna get better I promise. I commented on his last drive of the Dallas game as the drive that made me a beliver (even if it was extended by a penalty on 3rd and 26) and I really wasn't concerned about this season. I just hope they get you help on the line and he smiled and said me too.

I couldn't get over how easy he was to talk too, awesome night. I hope he sticks around for a while.

Vandelay
10-31-2009, 01:11 PM
I work at a hotel in Lake of the Ozarks and he and his wife are in town for the weekend. When I walked by him n the Lobby I said man that looks like Matt Cassel, but he's too skinny to take those sunday hits he's been taken. Then he came into the restairant and I went to the front desk and made sure that was him. It was, had my sister-in-law get my Cassel jersey and chatted with him a little. Down to earth and a gentleman, and I mean gentleman. When I asked him to sign the jersey he said things are gonna get better I promise. I commented on his last drive of the Dallas game as the drive that made me a beliver (even if it was extended by a penalty on 3rd and 26) and I really wasn't concerned about this season. I just hope they get you help on the line and he smiled and said me too.

I couldn't get over how easy he was to talk too, awesome night. I hope he sticks around for a while.
Awesome.:bananen_smilies046:

brish
10-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Great story Nigeriannightmare, I wasn't a second in doubt that he is a gentleman and a standup guy.
Now I just hope that the team can build around him this next offseason and the comming offseasons.
But everytime I see him take a big hit on Sundays it hurts me a little too.
I was pretty high on Croyle when he was given the reins a few years ago, and I really don't want to see Cassel's chance to shine, whisked away like it was Croyle.
But I think he has already proven, that he is not as brittle as Croyle is, and I hope he can be as good as he looked to NE last year.

KEEPSNAPPIN
11-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Welcome to the Crowd KeepsNappin, haha.

Unfortunately, the Chiefs organization has done what you have suggested too many times...short term fixes with 1-2 yr players signed, which is part of why we're now a losing team.

We need to focus long term if we're ever gonna have a realistic shot at returning to the Super Bowl, for now...Cassell fits into the Chiefs long term plan. I'm trying to be patient for at least another season or two...it's gonna take that to really judge Cassell and the Chiefs team overall, including coaches.

Focus on the long term? Isn't that what Herm and his boys did 4 years ago? They went out and signed a ton of young players to "rebuild" the organization. Then Pioli and Hailey come in and get rid of most of those players, and sign a bunch of veterans, most of which are from the Patriots. Also, how many of the players that they got rid, are making significant contributions to other teams, but they weren't good enough for Hailey and the gang. I have a hard time respecting a coach that has NEVER played the game he's coaching. I know that many of the best coaches were not good players, but at least they were Players. I think the Hunt family saw an opportunity for something new, and instead of hiring someone that was more fitting for the position, they hired who was hot for the last 5 games of the year. Pioli also needs to remember he's not with the patriots anymore, and start dealing for other teams. Maybe The Tuna has him on a short leash, and thats why he still wheels and deals with the dolphins and the Pats, but it's starting to get pretty old. It's hard to be a chiefs fan when there are a bunch of idiots running the organization. Maybe the chiefs can pull off a victory at practice this weekend.

KEEPSNAPPIN

matthewschiefs
11-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Focus on the long term? Isn't that what Herm and his boys did 4 years ago? They went out and signed a ton of young players to "rebuild" the organization. Then Pioli and Hailey come in and get rid of most of those players, and sign a bunch of veterans, most of which are from the Patriots. Also, how many of the players that they got rid, are making significant contributions to other teams, but they weren't good enough for Hailey and the gang. I have a hard time respecting a coach that has NEVER played the game he's coaching. I know that many of the best coaches were not good players, but at least they were Players. I think the Hunt family saw an opportunity for something new, and instead of hiring someone that was more fitting for the position, they hired who was hot for the last 5 games of the year. Pioli also needs to remember he's not with the patriots anymore, and start dealing for other teams. Maybe The Tuna has him on a short leash, and thats why he still wheels and deals with the dolphins and the Pats, but it's starting to get pretty old. It's hard to be a chiefs fan when there are a bunch of idiots running the organization. Maybe the chiefs can pull off a victory at practice this weekend.

KEEPSNAPPIN

Ok were to begin.

What herm and CP did was they went far to young. I think that now they will even admit to that. You can not just sign in plug in players. Thats what Vermile did. Was it better to watch yes but the Chiefs were never able to win a championship doing that. Besides Randy Moss you heard very few Huge name free agent signings by the pats. They drafted well thats why they were so good for so long. See tom brady. Building through the draft is a much more proven way to build a team that can contend year in and year out. It takes time but Its the more proven way.

To talk about a coach that never played is just pointless. If you no the game of football then it realy does not matter if you had played or not . I cant say that Todd Haley is going to be a good head coach. I cant say that pioli is going to be a good GM with the chiefs. But its far to early to say that they wont. They took over a team that was far to young they brought in some Vets to help the young guys but to build this team is going to take time. End of story.

#58ChiefsFan
11-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Pioli has three times the number of Lombardi trophies as the Chiefs organization for a reason.

Coach Haley grew up with his dad Dick Haley watching professional football film. Seems like a better way to learn football than playing pop warner.

Hayvern
11-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Pioli has three times the number of Lombardi trophies as the Chiefs organization for a reason.

Coach Haley grew up with his dad Dick Haley watching professional football film. Seems like a better way to learn football than playing pop warner.

That is all well and good, and I don't have any issue with Haley being a coach apart from one:

He has never been a head coach before, not at any level, he has never had to do the things that a head coach has to do then for this rookie coach to also take on OC duties, well that is too much.

This team needed a coach that knows how to build a team, work a team, and run a team, not one who will learn on the job.

That makes it where we have inexperienced players and no one to really teach them the ropes. A bad situation to be in for now and the future.

Connie Jo
11-01-2009, 10:46 PM

KEEPSNAPPIN

Important matters first and foremost with my reply, hahaha. As far as your saying it's hard to be a Chiefs fan...well, regardless of whether or not idiots are at the helm...it's not hard for me to be a Chiefs fan. I'll always be a Chiefs fan...they are in my blood, literally. I'm loyal to the core...win or lose.

I'm like the Captain of the Titanic...I'll always stay aboard and sink with my ship, regardless of why the ship sinks.

Nope, not what Herm and his boys did at all, hahaha. Their claim to rebuild was more of an excuse in advance of their mistakes. Hell, Carl Peterson used "we're rebuilding" as an excuse repeatedly with each losing season throughout his tenure as GM. The excuse worked for many seasons, but the man cried wolf too many times, and no one believed him anymore...as a result, he was fired.

The Chiefs organization is a completely different one now claiming to be rebuilding. Clark has taken over with the loss of Lamar (RIP), new GM, new coaches, new players as a result of the long term plan of the new GM & Coaches.

Keep in mind, that most Head Coaches were once Assistant Coaches, they all had first years, and most faced rebuilding losing teams, and most took a couple years or so to be victorious in their efforts. It's way to early to declare Pioli and Haley as failures IMO. I may sing a different tune in a couple years, but feel considering the damage Peterson & Edwards left our Chiefs in...Pioli and Haley deserve more than half a season prior to being judged.

As far as your saying it's hard to be a Chiefs fan

honda522
11-02-2009, 11:06 AM

KEEPSNAPPIN

You do realize Larry is turning 30 soon or already has turned 30.