PDA

View Full Version : TD Celebration fines

SIC J
11-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Anyone else think that the NFL is getting lame with all the TD celebration penalties and fines. Growing up as a kid, that was what I always looked forward to. Getting a TD and doing a celebration dance.

Which brings me to the recent fine to Chad Ochocinco's $1 bill celebration which he gave to the ref after a TD to "bribe" him. He was fined $20k!!! I think Ochocinco's celebrations are awesome and always look forward to players like him who love to celebrate and don't care about getting fined. Celebrations to me are part of the game.

honda522
11-13-2009, 12:41 PM
I think touchdown celebrations are lame. Show some class.

bigpoppachief
11-13-2009, 12:43 PM
I don't think they are lame but some go a little too far. Celek though did the captain morgan pose adn it went to a chairty for retired NFL players. I think that was an awesome thing for him to do and hell I didnt even notice it but the NFL did.

SIC J
11-13-2009, 12:55 PM
I think touchdown celebrations are lame. Show some class.

Do you even realize that many players will donate money to a charity every time they score a TD? Ever think thats part of why they're celebrating?

Good point Bigpoppachief.

Oh, and maybe when they win the Super Bowl, they should all just shake hands, say great game, and go home. Cuz jumping up and down, dancing, and yelling would be showing no class.

I'm sure when you're watching a game at a bar or whatever, and the Chiefs score, you just sit there and don't clap, yell, or get excited in anyway right. Cuz you have class. LOL

TD celebrations make the game exciting and FUN. Unless you're celebrating in the opponents face and rubbing it in directly towards someone. Otherwise is has nothing to do about having "class".

yashi
11-13-2009, 01:22 PM
20k for that celebration is ridiculous. He didn't hurt anyone, and you have to be an idiot to think he was legitimately trying to bribe the ref with $1.

At least fines go to charity I guess.

chiefs105
11-13-2009, 01:37 PM
You guys remember what the (NFL) stands for dont you
No Fun League that was ridiculious to fine ocho 20 grand for that.

pbatrucker
11-13-2009, 01:43 PM
There is nothing wrong with celebrating as long as it's in good taste and doesn't delay the game. Most fans actually enjoy them.

mejohnm
11-13-2009, 03:30 PM
There is nothing wrong with celebrating as long as it's in good taste and doesn't delay the game. Most fans actually enjoy them.

I would figure the fans are celebrating along with their team when they make a TD. I know I do whenever KC makes a touchdown. I am surprise you all do not hear me all the way from Germany!

Canada
11-13-2009, 05:10 PM
I could care less about TD celebrations. I watch football for the football part of it. Not so I can see Ocho stinko do the riverdance after he does his job.

If I wanted to see dancing I would watch ABC.com - Dancing With The Stars - Home (http://abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars)

Canada
11-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Do you even realize that many players will donate money to a charity every time they score a TD? Ever think thats part of why they're celebrating?

They may donate money, but that is not why they are celebrating. They are celebrating because they scored a TD.

Oh, and maybe when they win the Super Bowl, they should all just shake hands, say great game, and go home. Cuz jumping up and down, dancing, and yelling would be showing no class.

Are you comparing scoring a TD with winning the SB??
I'm sure when you're watching a game at a bar or whatever, and the Chiefs score, you just sit there and don't clap, yell, or get excited in anyway right. Cuz you have class. LOL

I do cheer, I do not do the river dance.

TD celebrations make the game exciting and FUN. Unless you're celebrating in the opponents face and rubbing it in directly towards someone. Otherwise is has nothing to do about having "class".

Sportsmanship had EVERYTHING to do with class. There is nothing wrong with a high five or pat on the back for scoring, but doing CPR on the ball, Riverdancing, Bowling, putting with the ball is a waste of time. Maybe if some of these guys spent more time making themselves and their teams better you wouldn't need to look to their celebration dances to make football interesting.

Sn@keIze
11-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Anyone else think that the NFL is getting lame with all the TD celebration penalties and fines. Growing up as a kid, that was what I always looked forward to. Getting a TD and doing a celebration dance.

Which brings me to the recent fine to Chad Ochocinco's $1 bill celebration which he gave to the ref after a TD to "bribe" him. He was fined $20k!!! I think Ochocinco's celebrations are awesome and always look forward to players like him who love to celebrate and don't care about getting fined. Celebrations to me are part of the game.i agree that endzone celebrations are OK. And they should be done as a team. It was a team effort. As long as it doesnt delay too much.

I remember the bob and weave the Rams used to do. Playing Back yard football me and my team would run to the enzone and do teh same celebration. and the other team would do their own. Its all in good fun.

But as for Ochos lil stunt. I agree with the fine. Even tho it was a dollar. the simple image itself of bribing refs is going to draw a fine from teh league hands down.

I think touchdown celebrations are lame. Show some class.Lighten up. Getting in the endzone in the NFL is hard. You cant blame the players for wanting to celebrate.

No Fun League that was ridiculious to fine ocho 20 grand for that.But i can see where the league is coming from on this one.

yep!

honda522
11-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Sportsmanship had EVERYTHING to do with class. There is nothing wrong with a high five or pat on the back for scoring, but doing CPR on the ball, Riverdancing, Bowling, putting with the ball is a waste of time. Maybe if some of these guys spent more time making themselves and their teams better you wouldn't need to look to their celebration dances to make football interesting.
I agree. I watched Tony Gonzalez go up to a little kid after a touchdown a few weeks ago and hand him the ball. He didn't do a pointless dance for his td...Brett Favre...he goes up to his recivers and gives them a hug. Thats the way to celebrate.

matthewschiefs
11-13-2009, 07:57 PM

I agree. I dont mind a small bit of a celebration but enough is enough. putting on a HOF jacket is just down right shoting look at me. I dont mind guys who get excited for a TD like farve but When they start the look at me celebrations that gets annoying.

Fansincebirth
11-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Wow wide range of opinion on this but the one word I was waiting to read through all of it was Production. I think celebrating is a great thing otherwise it would be like watching robots. I love to see players get genuinely excited. I love to watch uncontrollable celebration. But guys like Owens and Ocho are not uncontrollably excited and celebrating an accomplishment. They are stopping and putting on a PRODUCTION! They are saying look at me, not yes, WE scored. The NFL has no problems with celebration. They just don’t care for pre planed productions.
The whole bribe thing is just a ploy to get attention because Chad loves to see himself on TV, loves to hear his name on the News. He is the poster child for the statement, bad publicity is still publicity.

hometeam
11-13-2009, 08:36 PM
The rules are fine as is. They can celebrate plenty, they just cant be jerks :/

lucky_lefty
11-13-2009, 08:39 PM
I agree. I dont mind a small bit of a celebration but enough is enough. putting on a HOF jacket is just down right shoting look at me. I dont mind guys who get excited for a TD like farve but When they start the look at me celebrations that gets annoying.

Did it delay the game ?? No, granted some TD celebrations are lame but I see why some do it...The act like you been there before" quote is lame...what if they never get back there then what? If TD celebrations get all you guys boxers in a bunch, why don't they fine players when they do the Lambeau Leap then?

Hayvern
11-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Ocho knucklehead has no class, these guys all have to have their own silly little dance or whatever, some of them only ever get to do it ONCE!

Hey, if you are good enough that you have a celebration that everyone recognizes, then a little celebration is alright. I liked Allen's roping the calf when he got a sack, and he was good enough to get to do it enough to be known for it.

The Former Chiefs Player Who Shall Remain Nameless used to dunk the ball over the upright when he made a touchdown, he stopped that later on, but it was cool.

Ochomoron was just drawing attention to himself, and while I don't think anyone thought he was really bribing the official, he should have been more concerned with the next play they were going to call.

Bike
11-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Act like you've been there before! In the Chiefs case - we haven't had many opportunities to be fined...

matthewschiefs
11-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Did it delay the game ?? No, granted some TD celebrations are lame but I see why some do it...The act like you been there before" quote is lame...what if they never get back there then what? If TD celebrations get all you guys boxers in a bunch, why don't they fine players when they do the Lambeau Leap then?

I am sorry i do expect the players to act like they have been there before. They are pro athletes they simply are doing there job. Can you or do you run around like an :sign0053: everytime you do your job. Its fine if you do it once. I have no problem with doing something funny once in a while. But to do it after every score is just lame to me. It gets kind off old.

Chiefster
11-14-2009, 12:13 AM

...Wait, they fine players??? :D

captainamerica
11-14-2009, 02:33 AM
You're allowed to celebrate, you're just not allowed to get excessive or use props. I have no problems with this. This isn't "Whose Line Is It Anyway" or "Ballet Class". I don't wanna see a bunch of showing off, doing stupid dances, or using props. I have no problem with celebrating, but I think there's a respectable way to celebrate and than there's an unsportsman way to celebrate and I'm glad there's rules in place to prevent the unsportman kind.

chief31
11-14-2009, 05:32 AM
I agree. I watched Tony Gonzalez go up to a little kid after a touchdown a few weeks ago and hand him the ball. He didn't do a pointless dance for his td...Brett Favre...he goes up to his recivers and gives them a hug. Thats the way to celebrate.

While I do feel the rule is currently too strict, and I find no reason to stop players from acting like clowns for a moment, I realize that you do have to draw the line somewhere. And I loved the Barry Sanders TD celebration of handing the football to the nearest ref.

I don't like how we seem to want to say exactly what is an acceptable way to celebrate, just because that is how we (individually) choose to celebrate.

Use the ball as a prop? Sure. Just keep it short.

Use something else as a prop? Nah. You are just going out of your way to do that.

Wear a "H.O.F." jacket on your own sideline? Go for it.

If you dislike those things, then just don't bother with it. Don't like ESPN replaying it over and over? Write a letter to ESPN.

So long as they aren't wasting time, then it doesn't matter to me, as far as rather or not to allow it. But I do prefer the simple MJ/Tiger fist-pump, or Barry "Been there before" approach. Those players are generally going to be more popular with me.

Pro_Angler
11-14-2009, 06:41 AM
not lame but taken way too far!!!

SIC J
11-14-2009, 10:59 AM
The Icky shuffle was legendary........

But I bet he he would get fined for doing it now cuz its "too long".

rodu
11-14-2009, 12:14 PM
This celebration was from the CFL a week or so ago. There was a boat at the back of the end zone that was going to be given away at half time, defense picked off the ball for a TD, and the whole secondary celebrated by climbing into the boat. They all got fined

YouTube- Ticats boat celebration td

Coach
11-14-2009, 11:43 PM
No Fun League that was ridiculious to fine ocho 20 grand for that.

So do you think that the NFL should have just ignored Chad Johnson playfully bribing the refs? I don't think they had any choice but to nip it in the bud. You can argue the amount of the fine, but I think they had to address it.

Well said.

They are saying look at me, not yes, WE scored. The NFL has no problems with celebration.

Others may not agree, but I'm growing a little tired of Bowe pointing to his name on his jersey every time he scores. Again, it is direct reference to "Look at me", not the team.

matthewschiefs
11-15-2009, 12:18 AM
So do you think that the NFL should have just ignored Chad Johnson playfully bribing the refs? I don't think they had any choice but to nip it in the bud. You can argue the amount of the fine, but I think they had to address it.

Well said.

Others may not agree, but I'm growing a little tired of Bowe pointing to his name on his jersey every time he scores. Again, it is direct reference to "Look at me", not the team.
:lol: i never even noticed bowe did that i guess that shows how much i pay attention I am to busy celebrating the TD myself they are few and far between

AussieChiefsFan
11-15-2009, 02:28 AM

Which brings me to the recent fine to Chad Ochocinco's $1 bill celebration which he gave to the ref after a TD to "bribe" him. He was fined $20k!!! I think Ochocinco's celebrations are awesome and always look forward to players like him who love to celebrate and don't care about getting fined. Celebrations to me are part of the game.
I think TD Celebrations are great evry now and again but IMO getting a TD at all is pretty good, so a TD celebration isnt always necessary. But dont get me wrong, I do think that fines foe celbrating after TDs is stupid!

jap1
11-15-2009, 07:19 PM
I think TD celebrations are ok as long as they are celebrations, not insults to other players. It makes it more interesting to watch the other team's that I dont care about.

Also, Chad Ochocinco's bribe was not a celebration. He did made a catch that was being reviewed. While the refs were reviewing the tape, he was trying to go over and bribe them.

hardcorechiefsfan
11-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Think Bowe might be developing a big head? Dang I thought the chiefs were rebuilding...

chief31
11-17-2009, 05:49 AM
I think TD celebrations are ok as long as they are celebrations, not insults to other players. It makes it more interesting to watch the other team's that I dont care about.

Also, Chad Ochocinco's bribe was not a celebration. He did made a catch that was being reviewed. While the refs were reviewing the tape, he was trying to go over and bribe them.

I don't think you actually believe he was trying to bribe them in front of all the cameras, that he knows are on him, specifically.

BUt I do agree with making a statement, in this case a fine, to show that the league does not encourage making a mockerey of bribes in the league.

But I also found it to be mildly humorous.:D

Seek
11-17-2009, 12:40 PM

I grew up watching a RB who refused to spike the ball. He was one of the greatest running backs ever and was a class act man. He was humble

To me, putting on a show is classless and disrespectful, not only to the other team but to the other 10 guys who did their job to allow that one person to score.

Such person knew he would be fined, and did it anyway and then commented that he wouldn't be able to eat McD's the next two weeks. Take that 20K that you lost in fine and give it to charity.

A player should act like they have been there before instead of scripting what they will do when they do.

OPLookn
11-17-2009, 01:26 PM
While I didn't play anything other than high school football I was told from a young age 'act like you've been there before'. Hand the ref the ball and get to the sideline, there's a game to win. Celebration should be done after you win the game....

shaver
11-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Paying these fines are no different than paying a cell phone bill.

HA-

jap1
11-17-2009, 08:48 PM
I don't think you actually believe he was trying to bribe them in front of all the cameras, that he knows are on him, specifically.

BUt I do agree with making a statement, in this case a fine, to show that the league does not encourage making a mockerey of bribes in the league.

But I also found it to be mildly humorous.:D

No, not at all. I should have said acted like he was trying to bribe them. Im sure he could have come up with more than $1 if he was serious.

I found the fact that it was only a $1 humorous as well.

Connie Jo
11-18-2009, 11:34 PM

This is my opinion also...I think most are fun to watch...seeing a player happy he scored makes me happy, as long as it's not a team scoring a TD against the Chiefs, haha! Most I've seen over the years aren't a display of bad sportsmanship, rather simple celebration.

josh1971
11-19-2009, 02:56 AM
And if you think the NFL is ridiculous- how about the Purdue player who was flagged when he hugged the mascot after a TD reception?

That borders on insanity.

Chiefster
11-19-2009, 02:58 AM

Well, the league has nicely put a stop to that for the next four games.