PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Weis

pbatrucker
11-22-2009, 10:36 AM
With Charlie Weis on his way out at ND, could he be the Chiefs next OC?
The conection is there with Pioli and Parcels.

matthewschiefs
11-22-2009, 02:07 PM
I would not mind it. Hes defently done at ND.

captainamerica
11-22-2009, 04:50 PM
He was a good OC for the Pats back in the day and he did a good job working with a young Tom Brady. Maybe he could have similar success with Cassel ( a guy can dream can't he?)

brish
11-22-2009, 04:56 PM
I don't know anything about him..

Can anyone give the lowdown? Is he any good and why is he "definately done in ND"?

captainamerica
11-22-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't know anything about him..

Can anyone give the lowdown? Is he any good and why is he "definately done in ND"?
You've never heard of Charlie Wies??? Charlie was the OC for the Pats during their Superbowl wins and was very successful at his job. This success lead him to be hired by Notre Dame as their HC and it was here where he became very unsuccessful. He even led his team to be defeated by Navy again this year. It's for this reason he'll probably be released by ND at the end of the year and when that happens he'll be eligible to be picked up by us to be our new OC.

brish
11-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Now that you mention it, I think I have heard about him in relation to the patriots.
But I don't follow College ball at all (being from europe), so I didn't know how he has done there.
So thanks for the info.

He definately could be an interresting pickup, but you never know how these ex. Bellicheck assistants turn out.
Just look at Mangini, horrible coach!

captainamerica
11-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Now that you mention it, I think I have heard about him in relation to the patriots.
But I don't follow College ball at all (being from europe), so I didn't know how he has done there.
So thanks for the info.

He definately could be an interresting pickup, but you never know how these ex. Bellicheck assistants turn out.
Just look at Mangini, horrible coach!
Oh, that explains it. I didn't know that you were from Europe. I was gonna say that it was weird having never even heard of the guy considering how much attention he gets for being coach of ND. Just curious being from Europe and all how did you become a Chiefs fan?

brish
11-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Oh, that explains it. I didn't know that you were from Europe. I was gonna say that it was weird having never even heard of the guy considering how much attention he gets for being coach of ND. Just curious being from Europe and all how did you become a Chiefs fan?

Well first off, im from Denmark.
We have only been able to watch nfl for 10 years, and it is only on the last 4-5 years where we have been able to follow multiple games a week. Before that the games were also aired during the night time, where no people would watch it.
But the game is really starting to catch on over here now..

I watched my first game 5-6 years ago, and it was a Chiefs game. I didn't know what was going on, but I thought the game was extremely entertaining and action packed.
Back then I didn't know who the chiefs were, but in the game I watched there were som pretty wild plays.

Dante Hall had an insane return for a TD, and Priest Holmes had a nice TD flying over the top..

I actually had to wait a whole other year, before I watched another game. And that was a Chiefs game too, and I could remember those players and that offense..

I've followed the chiefs ever since, but It's only in the last 4 years that I have really been watching football, and for some reason I just felt like the Chiefs was my team..

Since I've read up on some of the history of the franchise, and what Lamar Hunt did for this game, and I really like it.

So long story short, im a chiefs fan mostly because of chance and a few very entertaining players.
:D

captainamerica
11-22-2009, 05:30 PM
We have only been able to watch nfl for 10 years, and it is only on the last 4-5 years where we have been able to follow multiple games a week. Before that the games were also aired during the night time, where no people would watch it.

I watched my first game 5-6 years ago, and it was a Chiefs game. I didn't know what was going on, but I thought the game was extremely entertaining and action packed.
Back then I didn't know who the chiefs were, but in the game I watched there were som pretty wild plays.

Dante Hall had an insane return for a TD, and Priest Holmes had a nice TD flying over the top..

I actually had to wait a whole other year, before I watched another game. And that was a Chiefs game too, and I could remember those players and that offense..

I've followed the chiefs ever since, but It's only in the last 4 years that I have really been watching football, and for some reason I just felt like the Chiefs was my team..

Since I've read up on some of the history of the franchise, and what Lamar Hunt did for this game, and I really like it.

So long story short, im a chiefs fan mostly because of chance and a few very entertaining players.
That's awesome man. Glad to have you on board the Chiefs crowd.

yashi
11-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Weis is great with QBs. I think he would help Cassel out a ton and the move of course makes sense with the connections to Pioli.

kilobytes
11-22-2009, 05:53 PM
We need a OC badly and I don't care who. Not this year but certainly next year

#58ChiefsFan
11-22-2009, 06:56 PM
You've never heard of Charlie Wies??? Charlie was the OC for the Pats during their Superbowl wins and was very successful at his job. This success lead him to be hired by Notre Dame as their HC and it was here where he became very unsuccessful. He even led his team to be defeated by Navy again this year. It's for this reason he'll probably be released by ND at the end of the year and when that happens he'll be eligible to be picked up by us to be our new OC.

While that may be part of the equation the glaring statistic tword his release is his .573 win percentage.

Ty Williningham and Bob Davie both had a .583 when they were terminated. Notre Dame has 31 seniors and 28 juniors this year including Jimmy Clausen. ChuckWeis.com - FIRE CHARLIE WEIS (http://chuckweis.com/stats.html) has a good breakdown of why Charlie should be available next season.

captainamerica
11-22-2009, 07:32 PM
While that may be part of the equation the glaring statistic tword his release is his .573 win percentage.

Ty Williningham and Bob Davie both had a .583 when they were terminated. Notre Dame has 31 seniors and 28 juniors this year including Jimmy Clausen. ChuckWeis.com - FIRE CHARLIE WEIS (http://chuckweis.com/stats.html) has a good breakdown of why Charlie should be available next season.
I know he hasn't lived up to his expectations and hasn't been the coach that they hoped he would be, but I can almost gurantee that if Weis would've beat Navy they would've given him another year. The loss to Navy is what really sealed the deal in my mind.

texaschief
11-22-2009, 07:44 PM
I was thinkin this same thing yesterday. Weis at OC and Crennel at DC would make Haley a little more palatable at HC. No OC and and a bad DC makes Haley look even worse than he is.

#58ChiefsFan
11-22-2009, 07:51 PM
I would like the move to bring Charlie on our team. I am looking forward to this offseason to see what Pioli has in the works.

No matter the reasons that lead him out, I believe everyone is in agreement this will be his final season.

pbatrucker
11-22-2009, 08:02 PM
I was thinkin this same thing yesterday. Weis at OC and Crennel at DC would make Haley a little more palatable at HC. No OC and and a bad DC makes Haley look even worse than he is.
Those moves would make me very happy.:bananen_smilies046:

yashi
11-22-2009, 08:03 PM

Man I hate Pendergast.

bigpoppachief
11-22-2009, 08:46 PM
I would LOVE to have Weis

Coach
11-22-2009, 10:33 PM
I hadn't given this any thought until I came across this post, but wow. It could happen. Of course we could spread the idea if someone wanted to write an article about it for me to put on the front page of ChiefsCrowd.com.

jap1
11-23-2009, 12:42 AM
I know he hasn't lived up to his expectations and hasn't been the coach that they hoped he would be, but I can almost gurantee that if Weis would've beat Navy they would've given him another year. The loss to Navy is what really sealed the deal in my mind.

As a Naval Officer, I was ecstatic when Navy won. As the husband of a die-hard ND fan, I knew that was the end of the Weis era.

As a realist, it is unbelievable for any decent NCAA D1 program to lose to one of the service academies. Consider the fact that the largest guy at the service academies still has to fall within the weight standards that are set for all service members. There are rarely exceptions made for athletes, and even then we are talking no one really over 270lbs , unless they are like 7ft tall.

Yes, that means that the OL and DL of the Navy/Army/Air Force probably average close to 250lbs. The average MLB in any other division 1 school is usually 250lbs. The average OL or DL in a top school is usually closer to 300lbs.

The fact that the OL/DL of ND probably has a good 50lbs on anyone they are blocking, SHOULD mean they can do whatever they want.

If you fail to come up with a game plan that can beat a run-only, way undersized team, then you shouldnt be a HC.

With that in mind, I think he would be much better as our OC than our current OC (since we dont have one).

endzonewillie
11-23-2009, 01:58 AM
I agree with the fact that Wies would be a Pioli guy and he may even get along with Coach Haley however, we have to consider that if he were to become our OC that would mean yet another change in the offensive playbook for the players and coaches to learn. Haley seems to have that going in the right direction but, looking at the long run it would make more sense to have a OC so Haley can focus on being a head coach.

Bike
11-23-2009, 02:44 AM
Weis ain't going anywhere. It would cost ND 18 mil to buy out his contract. If they did cut him, the guy is still set for life and he'll get paid again by whoever might hire him. I most definetely chose the wrong profession...:Tool:

pbatrucker
11-23-2009, 04:40 AM
Weis ain't going anywhere. It would cost ND 18 mil to buy out his contract. If they did cut him, the guy is still set for life and he'll get paid again by whoever might hire him. I most definetely chose the wrong profession...:Tool:
Your wrong on this one ole buddy!! D have very deep pockets. Weis is out.

Bike
11-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Your wrong on this one ole buddy!! D have very deep pockets. Weis is out.
I don't see how anybodys' pockets are deep enough to just throw 18 million dollars out the window - unless you're talking about the U.S. government.

figcrostic
11-23-2009, 11:17 AM
I think we need to stick with the guys we have they are looking better, that's not saying in the post season we shouldn't pick people up but leave them alone for now.

pbatrucker
11-23-2009, 02:15 PM
I think we need to stick with the guys we have they are looking better, that's not saying in the post season we shouldn't pick people up but leave them alone for now.
Come on!!!! We are talking about next year!!!!

Coach
11-23-2009, 08:23 PM
This Charlie Weis to the Chiefs story may have legs:
Would Charlie Weis Be a Good Fit With the Chiefs? » BlitzNation » Blog (http://blog.blitznation.com/2009/11/23/would-charlie-weis-be-a-good-fit-with-the-chiefs/)

South Bend Tribune: Notre Dame football: All eyes on Swarbrick (http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20091123/SPORTS13/311239995/1021/XML)

And one site claiming that Weis has already been offered the OC job:
FootballCoachScoop.com - Rumor Mill on Coaching Changes and Scoop in College/NFL Football (http://footballcoachscoop.com/Scoop.html)

#58ChiefsFan
11-23-2009, 08:27 PM
I don't see how anybodys' pockets are deep enough to just throw 18 million dollars out the window - unless you're talking about the U.S. government.

I don't know where you got the 18 million figure but I came across this

One way or another, this has nothing to do with money. Really. Notre Dame’s endowment is up to $7 billion (that’s with a B … as in buyout). The Weis buyout, or bailout, if you prefer, reported to be anywhere between $4 and $5 million, is tip money in the Starbuck jar considering Notre Dame’s deal with NBC and the BCS. If a new coach comes in and takes the Irish to the BCS within three years, remembering that Notre Dame gets all that BCS bowl game coin for itself, then getting rid of Weis would actually be a wise investment.

Scout.com: Notre Dame's Next Head Coach (http://cfn.scout.com/2/816036.html) is the source of that

josh1971
11-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Hmmm... I wonder if this maybe is starting to get closer to reality. Wouldn't hurt to have a quality OC for the rest of the way- especially if it's a guy who knows how to make the best of the weapons we have, and someone who will be able to help shore up our O-line problems.

jtandcrew
11-24-2009, 12:16 AM
i say wiess fits! better than haley calling plays and still decideing on def plays. imo i say haley screwed up by taking away ther oc from chan! give him a year and see what he can do! haley has not done anything special as yet other than win sloppy games in a row! which ill take tbh. but there is more to be had then have a hc run the hc, oc, and qb's

#58ChiefsFan
11-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Weis has had his westcoast recruiting schedule cancelled and will be returning to campus following the Stanford game this weekend. I hope next week to read that he is on his way to help us.

wolfpack
11-25-2009, 11:46 AM
it wouldbe great to have weis. that being said when i see him with pioli on stage, then i`ll believe it.

yashi
11-25-2009, 11:48 AM
The question could be asked though.. if Haley had trouble working with Gailey, is it going to be any different with Weis? Carthon is obviously the guy Haley is most comfortable with, but I'm not too confident in him as an OC. He wasn't very good as OC with the Browns.

I guess Haley and Weis do have some experience working together though 97-99 with the Jets.

SAPHOJUNKIE
11-25-2009, 02:32 PM

This comment makes you sound very dumb.

Bike
11-25-2009, 03:04 PM
This comment makes you sound very dumb.
Why not just disagree and explain why you disagree rather than telling someone that they just sound dumb? :lamende:

N TX Dave
11-25-2009, 09:41 PM
i say wiess fits! better than haley calling plays and still decideing on def plays. imo i say haley screwed up by taking away ther oc from chan! give him a year and see what he can do! haley has not done anything special as yet other than win sloppy games in a row! which ill take tbh. but there is more to be had then have a hc run the hc, oc, and qb's
The only problem is we do not know went on behind closed doors with Chan and Haley they may have gotten along like a cat and a dog. Haley may have wante to open it up and Chan may have wanted the dink passes who knows they may have had oppisite ideas.

tornadospotter
11-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Tornadospotter's List of Thanks, I am thank full that the Chiefs have won, at least once more this season than last! Now enought of that crap! Bring on Santa!
Santa all I want for Christmas is a OC, may he arrive before the end of this season so that his players can get to know him, and he can get to know them! May his Initials be C.W.
Thanks Santa

Coach
11-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Tornadospotter's List of Thanks, I am thank full that the Chiefs have won, at least once more this season than last! Now enought of that crap! Bring on Santa!
Santa all I want for Christmas is a OC, may he arrive before the end of this season so that his players can get to know him, and he can get to know them! May his Initials be C.W.
Thanks Santa
Me too Santa. If you can fit DC Crennel in your bag, I'll take him too.

As long as your at it, bring lots of food too. If we get Weis and Crennel, we'll need it.

Canada
11-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Why not just disagree and explain why you disagree rather than telling someone that they just sound dumb? :lamende:

Shut up Dummy!! :P

Coach
11-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Our odds of landing Weis went up dramatically when Notre Dame lost yesterday. ND finished with 4 straight losses to finish 6-6.

Coach
11-29-2009, 09:41 AM
This picture pretty much sums up ND's season. For those that haven't heard. An angry ND fan gave Clausen(QB) a black eye last week after one of their bad losses.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/05/fullj.11f0090e2d0a63ac1a9421d4255d3996/11f0090e2d0a63ac1a9421d4255d3996-getty-91912064es023_notre_dame_v_.jpg

pbatrucker
11-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Our odds of landing Weis went up dramatically when Notre Dame lost yesterday. ND finished with 4 straight losses to finish 6-6.
If we can land Weis and Crennel the coaching staff will be pretty solid.

matthewschiefs
11-29-2009, 02:10 PM
I think its pretty clear weis is done at ND. If he and Haley have matching gameplans I would love to see him on the Chiefs sideline. ND has put up alot of points this year its defense thats killed them.

N TX Dave
11-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Heard in game day or one of those talking head pregameday shows and they said he will go to NE as the OC.

josh1971
11-29-2009, 07:09 PM
If we can land Weis and Crennel the coaching staff will be pretty solid.

Someone clear this up for me, because that Crennel guy's name comes up all the time: are we even looking for a D-coordinator? I'm not trying to start an internet fight, I just wasn't aware that we (KC) were looking to replace PenderLAST already.

We should- but that's different than whether or not we are.

And did the rumor we were already talking to Weiss already turn out to be false?

jb

Bike
11-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Someone clear this up for me, because that Crennel guy's name comes up all the time: are we even looking for a D-coordinator? I'm not trying to start an internet fight, I just wasn't aware that we (KC) were looking to replace PenderLAST already.

We should- but that's different than whether or not we are.

And did the rumor we were already talking to Weiss already turn out to be false?

jb
Under Clancys watch at Arizona points allowed per game ranking:
2004: 12th
2005: 26th
2006: 29th
2007: 27th
2008: 28th
And so far this year: 25th

With these very underwhelming stats, not sure why he was brought here in the 1st place. Unless it was a case of a friend giving another friend a job. If thats the case, this decision was made looking out for the best interests of Pendergast, not the Chiefs.

yashi
11-30-2009, 12:10 PM

With these very underwhelming stats, not sure why he was brought here in the 1st place. Unless it was a case of a friend giving another friend a job. If thats the case, this decision was made looking out for the best interests of Pendergast, not the Chiefs.

Haley and Pioli both seem to really value familiarity. I do believe it was a case of Haley hiring Pendergast simply because he knew him well. If Pendergast couldn't get it done with some of those great players in Arizona like Dockett, Wilson, Dansby, Rolle, and Rodgers-Cromartie, then I find it hard to believe that he thought he would be able to get it done here, but he did apparently. They are playing so much better over there without him.

SAPHOJUNKIE
11-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Haley and Pioli both seem to really value familiarity. I do believe it was a case of Haley hiring Pendergast simply because he knew him well. If Pendergast couldn't get it done with some of those great players in Arizona like Dockett, Wilson, Dansby, Rolle, and Rodgers-Cromartie, then I find it hard to believe that he thought he would be able to get it done here, but he did apparently. They are playing so much better over there without him.

I think the coaches hired were guys that Haley knew and could count on to pass his philosophy onto the players.

Also, I heard that the coaches were all guys known for being teachers. Also, those players you mentioned sure are talented. I hope we have as much success as Arizona did drafting defensive players.

josh1971
11-30-2009, 06:07 PM

Yeah, but you miss my point- everyone talks about this Crennel guy coming here like it's a sure thing, or at least "when we get rid of Pendergast".

I KNOW he's a cruddy DC, but what I was wondering was if there has actually been something said about him leaving, or if it's just wishful thinking on our part.

There is no dispute he sucks.

texaschief
11-30-2009, 06:15 PM
If Crennel and Weis are signed, I'll get off Haley's ***. I think those two can help keep him in SOME kind of check and allow him a shoulder or two to lean on. Haley is just in over his head right now. That doesn't mean he can't be thrown a life preserver.

Chiefster
11-30-2009, 11:03 PM
This picture pretty much sums up ND's season. For those that haven't heard. An angry ND fan gave Clausen(QB) a black eye last week after one of their bad losses.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

Kid looks like he's in the sixth grade.

Ldub
11-30-2009, 11:06 PM
The fan must of punked him for his lunch money.

josh1971
11-30-2009, 11:58 PM
Kid looks like he's in the sixth grade.

It's Rudy!

Springfield Chiefs
12-01-2009, 12:59 AM
Haley and Weis are buds from their time with the Jets, it wouldn't be surprising to see him be hired as Chiefs OC but he probably heads back to NE.

josh1971
12-01-2009, 01:26 AM
The fact that Haley said they've had no contact with Weiss makes me think two things;

1. Yes they have

and

2. Yes they have.

Bike
12-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Yeah, but you miss my point- everyone talks about this Crennel guy coming here like it's a sure thing, or at least "when we get rid of Pendergast".

I KNOW he's a cruddy DC, but what I was wondering was if there has actually been something said about him leaving, or if it's just wishful thinking on our part.

There is no dispute he sucks.
Pendy's history tells me he is not the long term answer for this team. I would certainly hope that the Chiefs are thinking about a change. But I don't know. I think Haley is familiar with his oc also and would hope they make a change there too...:D

KottkeKU
12-01-2009, 01:12 PM
I would be happy with Crennel or Marty Schott as a D Coord, and i am not real sold on Weis as O Coord but Haley DID say he wants an O and D Coordinator in the future... so he will get someone to run the Offense...

hmm....only time will tell

NWA Chief
12-03-2009, 09:41 PM
I've been away for awhile but I'm still keeping up with the Chiefs and their season. Now that I'm done with my football season I can watch all the games, I got a couple of questions.....

1. We have trouble as a franchise being marketable for free agents to come here, so what makes you think coaches would be a sure thing to come here?

2. I am a big Chiefs fan. With that said, I would like to have the identity of being a Chief, not a washed up older Patriot team. Yes Weis and Crennel were coaches at NE and now they are without a job but I don't want the leftovers from Arizona and New England to build our team. There are position coaches out there that are ready for the step up to OC and DC. Personally I dont think we need a new DC. I think we need 1 safety and 1 LB more and for our you D Line to mature, which comes with time. I think we have been decent against the run but terrible against the pass. We need to fix that to become a better team as well as maybe getting a OL in the draft and as a free agent. We have tons of salary cap space and a lot of young player to build off of. 5-11 is an accomplishment we havent been able to have in awhile so I would take that if we could get it. Just throwing this out there, but maybe if we could get a guy like Martz to help out, I know he blew in SF but he did wonders with warner and their cast in STL.

Drunker Hillbilly
12-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Heard John Clayton talking about this possibility of Weis coming here because of his Pioli connection. However, he said it could cause a riff with Haley since Haley likes to be in control of the play calling and may not want to give that up. Said it could cause a bit of desention between haley and Pioli and mentioned if it came down to it, Haley could be out if he put up too big a stink. Was on a local station here in Az. on a morning show called Doug and Wolf. KTAR 620 (Doug Franz is from the KC area or at least worked there)

matthewschiefs
12-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I dont think Haley will put up to much of a fight. He said that he thinks its best in the long run to have an OC he just didnt think him and chan could make it work. I would like to see weis in Kc but i realy dont think that it is going to happen.

josh1971
12-06-2009, 02:57 AM
Heard John Clayton talking about this possibility of Weis coming here because of his Pioli connection. However, he said it could cause a riff with Haley since Haley likes to be in control of the play calling and may not want to give that up. Said it could cause a bit of desention between haley and Pioli and mentioned if it came down to it, Haley could be out if he put up too big a stink. Was on a local station here in Az. on a morning show called Doug and Wolf. KTAR 620 (Doug Franz is from the KC area or at least worked there)

Clayton obviously didn't hear Haley say that he will eventually have an OC here.

Coach
12-29-2009, 12:29 AM
Update on Weis:
Charlie Weis Reportedly Contacted By Bills, Has Interest In Buffalo's Head Coaching*Vacancy - SB Nation (http://www.sbnation.com/2009/12/28/1221979/charlie-weis-bills-head-coach-notre-dame)

Connie Jo
12-29-2009, 01:53 AM

My best Chiefs buddy was born and raised in Germany...somewhat your neighbor! haha

He married my friends sister, almost 20 yrs ago...she teaches for the US Army at the base in Germany, which is how they met. She still teaches there, Germany is her home now.

He became a Chiefs fan while playing football in Germany during college. He's a fan of Nebraska football, a US college team, then became a Chiefs fan because many Nebraska players later became Chiefs.

He watches Chiefs games in the middle of the night! The US Army has been airing NFL games in Germany for many yrs. He's inspired his German football buddies to become Chiefs fans over the yrs too, and they all get up in the middle of the night, go over to his house to watch Chiefs games together, hahaha. He say's the games end about an hour or so before he has to get ready to go to work. He never misses even one though.

He, his wife and two son's are here visiting now during the holiday's. We all attended the game at Arrowhead against the Browns.