PDA

View Full Version : Stand out players

figcrostic
11-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Hali: has looked awesome at the LB position

Succop: who would have that we would pick up the next Vinateri with the last pick in the draft

Studebaker: One game but he looked great I hope he keeps looking this good.

Jamaal Charles: I knew he was good, I knew I wanted him to start but the man can do it all catch, return, and rush love this guy. Can you believe he is only 22? If we can get someone in there who has that diesel power that LJ used to have then we will have a killer one two punch.

Chris Chambers: I really love this guy, huge man crush he sacrifices himself for our team he gets open, and he can actually catch the ball who would have thunk that.

Jon Mcgraw: AkA "Mr Fundamental" this guy is not flashy he just hits you in the mouth wraps up and takes you too the ground you gotta love him.

Flowers: I never knew how good he was until he came back from that injury for a little guy he sure can tackle and strip the ball.

these guys are players that will stick around for a long time. Tell me if I missed anyone.

Bike
11-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Hali: has looked awesome at the LB position

Succop: who would have that we would pick up the next Vinateri with the last pick in the draft

Studebaker: One game but he looked great I hope he keeps looking this good.

Jamaal Charles: I knew he was good, I knew I wanted him to start but the man can do it all catch, return, and rush love this guy. Can you believe he is only 22? If we can get someone in there who has that diesel power that LJ used to have then we will have a killer one two punch.

Chris Chambers: I really love this guy, huge man crush he sacrifices himself for our team he gets open, and he can actually catch the ball who would have thunk that.

Jon Mcgraw: AkA "Mr Fundamental" this guy is not flashy he just hits you in the mouth wraps up and takes you too the ground you gotta love him.

Flowers: I never knew how good he was until he came back from that injury for a little guy he sure can tackle and strip the ball.

these guys are players that will stick around for a long time. Tell me if I missed anyone.
Cassel, Belcher, and Gilberry all made plays when we needed 'em also. Great all-around team effort.

figcrostic
11-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Cassel, Belcher, and Gilberry all made plays when we needed 'em also. Great all-around team effort.
Belcher and Gilberry have both been good as well!

Bike
11-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Belcher and Gilberry have both been good as well!
Man you really don't like Cassel. After a bad 1st half, he finished 15/30 for 250 yards, 2 td's, 0 ints with an 11yd completion average. His play in the 2nd half stretched out the steelers defense and allowed us to beat the world champs. Not bad with the worst offensive line in the league.

josh1971
11-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Complain as everyone may about him, I'd say Mike Brown. Knocked on for being a huge injury risk- he hasn't missed a game. He's near the top in tackles, has a pair of sacks, and 2 INT.

I'd mention most, if not all, of our linebacking corps- Vrabel, Williams, Mays, Belcher, Studebaker, DJ. Some good and great plays out of these guys all year, including a touchdown reception!

Can you imagine Jamaal Charles behind a really good O-line?

captainamerica
11-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Jamaal Charles:If we can get someone in there who has that diesel power that LJ used to have then we will have a killer one two punch.

You know that Lendale White's contract is coming up after this year and I don't think the Titans will re-sign him seeing as how they haven't been using him at all this year. I think he'd be a good fit for the team and would be the power back needed to compliment Jamaal Charles.

Pro_Angler
11-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Cassel shouldnot be on the list till he shows more then 2qtr of half descent play.. oh and he did fumble the ball in the 2nd half that should have cost us the game!!
The defense is the real champs of the day..

josh1971
11-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Cassel shouldnot be on the list till he shows more then 2qtr of half descent play.. oh and he did fumble the ball in the 2nd half that should have cost us the game!!
The defense is the real champs of the day..

But it didn't cost us the game, and that sack/fumble was the fault of a very pokey Branden Albert.

And Cassel should most certainly be on that list, especially since he's not only had the physical throwing down, to make those plays and get this win, but also the presence of mind to not get shaken by mistakes and bad fortune, and to fight back.

jb

pbatrucker
11-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Glenn Dorsey has played well all year. Seems everyone has forgotten we have Battle on IR, he's bigger and faster than LJ. AS far as the Cassel haters, Len Dawson likes him, and I believe Len knows a lot more about the Chiefs, the NFL and football than you guys.

matthewschiefs
11-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Studebaker is the one that stood out for me. I no its only one game and theres a good chance that he will never have anther pick for the rest of his Carrer but for one day he was among the top performers in the NFL.

figcrostic
11-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Man you really don't like Cassel. After a bad 1st half, he finished 15/30 for 250 yards, 2 td's, 0 ints with an 11yd completion average. His play in the 2nd half stretched out the steelers defense and allowed us to beat the world champs. Not bad with the worst offensive line in the league.
even if you like Cassel I said "Stand out" even you must admit he has not, but that's not what I made this thread for I am not talking smack it's a positive thread.

figcrostic
11-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Glenn Dorsey has played well all year. Seems everyone has forgotten we have Battle on IR, he's bigger and faster than LJ. AS far as the Cassel haters, Len Dawson likes him, and I believe Len knows a lot more about the Chiefs, the NFL and football than you guys.
Chill out man nobody is hating on Cassel they are just not thinking he's great. You think Len Dawson is gonna talk trash on our QB of course not.

josh1971
11-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Holy crud! How can I have forgotten one Wallace Gilberry, who has played incredibly well, and is tied for the current sack lead on the team isn't he?

Every time he's in, he does good things- he should be in more!

pbatrucker
11-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Chill out man nobody is hating on Cassel they are just not thinking he's great. You think Len Dawson is gonna talk trash on our QB of course not.
Len has always called a spade a spade. He doesn't work for the Chiefis and is honest in his reports.

honda522
11-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Looks like Glen Doresy is coming around final. Not so much as sacks, but getting in the QB's face and forcing him to throw it away.

yashi
11-24-2009, 10:17 AM
You know, I'm really beginning to think that Brandon Flowers is the best player on the team. It seems like he always has great coverage on his guy, never misses tackles, and is always in there when called on to blitz.

josh1971
11-24-2009, 06:13 PM
You know, I'm really beginning to think that Brandon Flowers is the best player on the team. It seems like he always has great coverage on his guy, never misses tackles, and is always in there when called on to blitz.

Actually, the best player on the team is Dustin Colquitt

Chiefster
11-24-2009, 06:27 PM
even if you like Cassel I said "Stand out" even you must admit he has not, but that's not what I made this thread for I am not talking smack it's a positive thread.

Agreed, I thought Trent Green was horrid his first couple of years with KC, but he grew into the position and was a huge stand out (IMO) by the time he ended his career here in KC.

figcrostic
11-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Holy crud! How can I have forgotten one Wallace Gilberry, who has played incredibly well, and is tied for the current sack lead on the team isn't he?

Every time he's in, he does good things- he should be in more!

Wow I did not know he was tied with Tamba, but you are correct he has 3.5 sacks, which is awesome especially for how little he has actually played.

Big Daddy Tek
11-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Agreed, I thought Trent Green was horrid his first couple of years with KC, but he grew into the position and was a huge stand out (IMO) by the time he ended his career here in KC.

You do not have to type "IMO" after saying Trent Green was a huge standout. Anybody who doesn't agree is crazy. Trent Green was pure magic. It's a shame that we never had a defense during those years. Trent Green has the highest QB rating of any Chiefs QB ever. 3 seasons in a row with over 4000 yards and was a great leader. Truly amazing he was.

yashi
11-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Actually, the best player on the team is Dustin Colquitt

I don't count kickers and punters.

josh1971
11-25-2009, 02:14 AM
Wow I did not know he was tied with Tamba, but you are correct he has 3.5 sacks, which is awesome especially for how little he has actually played.

I know it- Gilberry hasn't been on the field nearly as much as some of the others, but has tied for the (admittedly low) sack lead.

You do not have to type "IMO" after saying Trent Green was a huge standout. Anybody who doesn't agree is crazy. Trent Green was pure magic. It's a shame that we never had a defense during those years. Trent Green has the highest QB rating of any Chiefs QB ever. 3 seasons in a row with over 4000 yards and was a great leader. Truly amazing he was.

Trooth. :bananen_smilies046: Imagine the dynasty if we'd have had Marty's defense with the offense headed by Trent and Priest...

I don't count kickers and punters.

Damn shame- we have a good one of each, and they are certainly standout players for the team. A rookie kicking 50+ yard field goals, and a punter with a cannon leg.

JB

Chiefster
11-25-2009, 02:39 AM

Absolutely agree; by far one of my all time favorite, top three KC QB's, and has the stats in KC to more then prove his worth. I hope that Cassel can become the same kind of QB while in KC.

wolfpack
11-25-2009, 11:54 AM
The defense made the play when they had to. Thats a sign of a good defense.
The bad sign is the rest of the times they gave up over 500 yards.

northwest
11-25-2009, 01:29 PM
hali and flowers have performed the best so far in my opinion. a lot of other people are finally coming around.

chief31
11-25-2009, 03:29 PM
hali and flowers have performed the best so far in my opinion. a lot of other people are finally coming around.

Why are people continually praising Hali? He has been all-but non-existent his season.

Canada
11-25-2009, 05:40 PM
36 Takles, 3.5 sacks (tied for the team lead) and 2 FF. At his brand new position. sounds alright to me.

figcrostic
11-25-2009, 06:04 PM
36 Takles, 3.5 sacks (tied for the team lead) and 2 FF. At his brand new position. sounds alright to me.
I agree those are solid numbers.

hometeam
11-25-2009, 06:45 PM
He has also been in the backfield alot, he has been pretty solid imo

josh1971
11-25-2009, 07:23 PM
The defense made the play when they had to. Thats a sign of a good defense.
The bad sign is the rest of the times they gave up over 500 yards.

If they gave up 500 yards a game, but we were 12-4 or 13-3 every season, I wouldn't much care.

Why are people continually praising Hali? He has been all-but non-existent his season.

Non-existent? Some of the others have quoted the stats, so I won't go into that. He was particularly invisible to Todd Collins when he sacked Collins for a safety.

Oh, and while I'm at it about standout players... :D

Chiefs buzz: Brown AFC defensive player of the week - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1579484.html)

jb

Canada
11-25-2009, 07:43 PM
...and we traded Pollard

Vandelay
11-25-2009, 08:48 PM
...and we traded Pollard
Really? I hadn't heard anything about that.

chief31
11-26-2009, 02:52 AM

Granted he is new to the position.

But those numbers are far from impressive.

As the primary blitzer in a 3-4 defense, 3.5 sacks is downright piss-poor.

Hali is playing the "sack-monster" position of the 3-4 and is non-existent.

I am not trying to trash the guy. But I just keep hearing about how imressive his nothingness has been.

I count thirteen teams in the NFL that are naming the 3-4 as their starting defense.

Here are their sack-monsters...

Arizona - Haggans .............42 .....4 ...2 *
Baltimore - Johnson ...........37 .....6 ...1
Cleveland - Wimbley ..........48 .....5 ...1 *
Dallas - Ware ...................39 .....7 ...2
Denver - Dumervil .............34 ....12 ...2
Green Bay - Kampman ........42 ...3.5 ..1 *
Miami - Porter ...................20 ...4.5 ..1 * @
New England - Banta-Cain ...33 .....5 ..1 *
N.Y Jets - Pace .................28 .....4 ..2 *
San Diego - Phillips .............45 .....6 ..5 @
SanFran - Lawson ..............46 ...3.5 .1
Pittsburgh - Harrison ...........55 ....10 .4
K.C - Hali ..........................36 ...3.5 .2
Hali ranks ........................9th ..11th ..3rd
From the bottom...............5th ..1st ...6th

* = Has not stared all ten games.
@ = Neither OLB is the "defined" blitzing position.

Out of 13, mind you.

Only Lawson and Kampman are as poor on sacks, but they both have a signifigantly higher number of tackles. And Dumervill is the only player who has started every game, with fewer tackles than Hali. But the twelve sacks more than make up for the two fewer tackles.

One could make a pretty good case for every guy on that list having a better stat-line than Hali, at this point.

Again, I AM NOT trying to down the guy. If someone suggested that we should get rid of him, I would argue against.

I just don't understand why people keep mentioning him as being a "bright spot" or "standout".

Canada
11-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Granted he is new to the position.

But those numbers are far from impressive.

As the primary blitzer in a 3-4 defense, 3.5 sacks is downright piss-poor.

Hali is playing the "sack-monster" position of the 3-4 and is non-existent.

I am not trying to trash the guy. But I just keep hearing about how imressive his nothingness has been.

I count thirteen teams in the NFL that are naming the 3-4 as their starting defense.

Here are their sack-monsters...

Arizona - Haggans .............42 .....4 ...2 *
Baltimore - Johnson ...........37 .....6 ...1
Cleveland - Wimbley ..........48 .....5 ...1 *
Dallas - Ware ...................39 .....7 ...2
Denver - Dumervil .............34 ....12 ...2
Green Bay - Kampman ........42 ...3.5 ..1 *
Miami - Porter ...................20 ...4.5 ..1 * @
New England - Banta-Cain ...33 .....5 ..1 *
N.Y Jets - Pace .................28 .....4 ..2 *
San Diego - Phillips .............45 .....6 ..5 @
SanFran - Lawson ..............46 ...3.5 .1
Pittsburgh - Harrison ...........55 ....10 .4
K.C - Hali ..........................36 ...3.5 .2
Hali ranks ........................9th ..11th ..3rd
From the bottom...............5th ..1st ...6th

* = Has not stared all ten games.
@ = Neither OLB is the "defined" blitzing position.

Out of 13, mind you.

Only Lawson and Kampman are as poor on sacks, but they both have a signifigantly higher number of tackles. And Dumervill is the only player who has started every game, with fewer tackles than Hali. But the twelve sacks more than make up for the two fewer tackles.

One could make a pretty good case for every guy on that list having a better stat-line than Hali, at this point.

Again, I AM NOT trying to down the guy. If someone suggested that we should get rid of him, I would argue against.

I just don't understand why people keep mentioning him as being a "bright spot" or "standout".

Probably because he is learning a new position, a new defense and playing on a team that does not have the supporting cast that most of the above mentioned players have. I remember when Hali was getting sacks a few years ago, it was all because of Jared Allen. Now he is turing into a good LB without any help and I (like most) think he is pretty good at it. I notice you didnt add in how many games any of those other guys have played the position Hali is learning. Were those their stats in their first seasons as LBs?

chief31
11-29-2009, 03:46 AM
Probably because he is learning a new position, a new defense and playing on a team that does not have the supporting cast that most of the above mentioned players have. I remember when Hali was getting sacks a few years ago, it was all because of Jared Allen. Now he is turing into a good LB without any help and I (like most) think he is pretty good at it. I notice you didnt add in how many games any of those other guys have played the position Hali is learning. Were those their stats in their first seasons as LBs?

That's too much work. That'd take all day. Especially trying to determine which seasons they would have been used as the teams sack-monster.

But the stats show that he is not doing a stand-out job. Is he doing an ok job? Well.... no. Not really. Is he trying hard? Guaranteed. Is he making a very tough transition? Oh, hell yeah. Does he lack a supporting cast? Sure, to the mild degree that that matters to him getting QB pressure, sure.

I think if you start Tamba at QB, then he will try his a** off at QB. But he isn't cut-out to be a QB. And, so far, he doesn't appear to be cut-out to be a 3-4 OLB either.

Maybe he will overcome. Anyone with that much effort in them has a chance to do amazing things.

I, as much as anyone, appreciate him for that kind of effort. But I don't confuse effort with success. And to this point, he has been rather unsuccessful as an OLB.