PDA

View Full Version : Rams end Chiefs’ misery

Guru
08-31-2007, 02:29 AM
Rams end Chiefs’ misery

By JASON KING
The Kansas City Star

ST. LOUIS | At least now it’s over.

At least now — after Thursday’s 10-3 loss to the Rams — the focus will be on what these Chiefs can become instead of what they’ve been throughout this winless preseason.

“Hard to watch,” was how coach Herm Edwards described a setback at Cleveland a few weeks ago. From there it only got worse.

The Chiefs scored a combined 32 points and a measly three touchdowns in four preseason losses — and one of those was on a fumble return. Brodie Croyle was so inconsistent that Damon Huard won the starting quarterback job despite hardly taking the field. At times, Kansas City looked better defensively. Other times it looked worse.

Still, despite their struggles, the Chiefs seemed upbeat and energized as they left the Edward Jones Dome on Thursday. For them, the regular-season opener at Houston can’t come fast enough.

“Nobody has seen the Kansas City Chiefs play yet,” tight end Tony Gonzalez said. “Nobody has. We’re a better football team than we were a year ago.”

Some would argue that their preseason performance suggests otherwise — but the Chiefs don’t care. It’d be foolish, they said, to read too much into the dismal statistics that seem to worsen with each defeat.

Especially considering their most potent offensive weapon played just one series in four games.

A contract holdout kept All-Pro running back Larry Johnson off the field until Thursday, when he carried on three straight plays during the Chiefs’ first offensive possession.

Two yards, 7 yards, 3 yards. First down.

“It was good to get in the game,” Johnson said. “That’s the toughest adjustment, getting back in the speed of the game and getting your timing down with your offensive linemen. I need to experience that again.”

That was all the action Johnson received, though, as Edwards pulled him from the game for to avoid injury. Heck, some of the Chiefs’ top players — Huard, Gonzalez, Ty Law, Patrick Surtain Donnie Edwards, Eddie Kennison — didn’t even suit up for the same reason.

That’s why the Chiefs didn’t take Thursday’s loss — or any of them, for that matter — all that hard.

“You haven’t seen the total package,” fullback Boomer Grigsby said. “All the wheels were never turning at once. We’ve got one of the best running backs in the league, and he only played three plays in the preseason. Part of our entire offense is putting pressure on the defense (with Johnson).

“There’s a plan behind everything. We’re not out to give away preseason games, but there’s more to the preseason than just winning.”

Namely developing younger players. A large chunk of the Chiefs who played the final three quarters of Thursday’s game will be hard-pressed to make the squad. Edwards noted that the team entered training camp last month with 42 first-year players or rookies.

“The purpose of the preseason is to evaluate players,” Edwards said. “Now we’ve got a good idea of (what they can do). When it comes time to make these cuts, we’ve got them on tape. We can evaluate it. We can see it. Some guys got better, some guys stayed the same.”

Those who improved the most have a chance to be on the 53-man, opening day roster. Edwards must cut 22 players by Saturday. After that, the Chiefs will begin channeling their attention toward Houston.

“We’ve got some guys that have won some football games,” Edwards said.

“They have to lead this team now.”

Kansas City’s players will have the weekend off before resuming practice Monday.

“You can’t dwell on the preseason record too much,” fullback Kris Wilson said. “When you do you either go into the season overconfident or not believing in yourself enough. I know a lot of teams in the past that went 4-0 in the preseason but didn’t end up doing well in the regular season.

“I feel good about the direction we’re going. Coming into work Monday, we’ll have a totally different mind-set. Guys will be totally focused on the objective at hand, and that’s to win the game. Plain and simple.”

Gonzalez is confident that will happen.

When talking about the Chiefs’ progress, Gonzalez cited roster additions such as linebacker Napoleon Harris, defensive tackle Alfonso Boone and offensive lineman Damion McIntosh.

He reminds you of Huard’s success in a relief role last season and talks about lineman Kyle Turley getting back to his normal weight.

Then there are veterans such as Johnson, Kennison, Law, Edwards, Surtain — and Gonzalez himself.

“All these guys haven’t even been on the field together yet,” Gonzalez said. “We’ve been very vanilla on offense and defense. We haven’t shifted, we haven’t moved, we haven’t motioned. We haven’t even gone with our top five plays.

“I think we’re a better football team than we were last year. I don’t care what anyone says. That’s what I think. All these critics that are predicting us to go four-and-whatever … they’re going to be in for a surprise.”

sling58
08-31-2007, 07:07 AM
Well Atleast we are still 0-0! I hope we show up sometime.

Canada
08-31-2007, 08:02 AM
Like I said...savin it all for regular season!!

sling58
08-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Like I said...savin it all for regular season!!

Brother I sure do hope you are right. I always have faith in the Red and Gold!!!

wolfpack
08-31-2007, 09:32 AM
"you play to win the game" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA what a joke.

swmochiefsfan
08-31-2007, 10:11 AM
I like Tony's confidence, makes me feel better, lets get the season going and blow some minds

Sick Dog
08-31-2007, 10:24 AM
You have got to trust Gonzo he has never mislead us in the past! These critics he is referring to are also all over this site! Keep you heads held high and hold on tight I will stay positive unless this REGULAR season where it counts gives me a reason to not be.:yahoo:

“I think we’re a better football team than we were last year. I don’t care what anyone says. That’s what I think. All these critics that are predicting us to go four-and-whatever … they’re going to be in for a surprise.” Tony Gonzalez:bananen_smilies046:

chief31
08-31-2007, 10:48 AM
I hope he is right. I just won't get my hopes up, until i see something to get hopeful for.

I understand that preseason games are not as competetive as a regular season game, but I'm not disapointed with their preseason record, either. I am concerned about the individual performances that I have seen.

I sure hope to make the Texans look stupid, next weekend. Whoever starts at left tackle is going to have their hands full though. Hopefully Macintosh makes it back and handles Mario well. I want to see the Damon Huard that looked so poised and confident, last season, return for his encore. I'm ready to see Tank and Tamba "cave-in" the Texans offensive line. I wanna see Bernard Pollard jar some recievers and wreak some havoc. Ready to see D.J. and Donnie close some running lanes. Can't wait to see Turley 'unleashed'. I'm dying to watch L.J. make me feel like a putz, for bad-mouthing him. I AM READY!!!

I may be stepping into the season cautiously, but I want to see the Chiefs rock!!!!

swmochiefsfan
08-31-2007, 10:51 AM
You're some kind of wordsmith aren't ya. But in all seriousness I am ready too, here's to kickin some *** in Houston.

m0ef0e
08-31-2007, 11:40 AM
I hope he is right. I just won't get my hopes up, until i see something to get hopeful for.

I understand that preseason games are not as competetive as a regular season game, but I'm not disapointed with their preseason record, either. I am concerned about the individual performances that I have seen.

I sure hope to make the Texans look stupid, next weekend. Whoever starts at left tackle is going to have their hands full though. Hopefully Macintosh makes it back and handles Mario well. I want to see the Damon Huard that looked so poised and confident, last season, return for his encore. I'm ready to see Tank and Tamba "cave-in" the Texans offensive line. I wanna see Bernard Pollard jar some recievers and wreak some havoc. Ready to see D.J. and Donnie close some running lanes. Can't wait to see Turley 'unleashed'. I'm dying to watch L.J. make me feel like a putz, for bad-mouthing him. I AM READY!!!

I may be stepping into the season cautiously, but I want to see the Chiefs rock!!!!

I'm ready too! Another guy I'm excited about this year on our d-line is Jimmy Wilkerson. I thought he performed very well for us this preseason and think he is going to do some good things for us.

Tchiefs1
08-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Preseason yes its over,,so now lets do it for real! I don't think the Chiefs can get any worse" I think they will be a lot better!!!.....:yahoo:

swmochiefsfan
08-31-2007, 12:05 PM
AMEN Brother!!!!!!!!!!

swmochiefsfan
08-31-2007, 12:06 PM
Yah that guy was everywhere last night, lookin good Jimmy.

Chiefster
08-31-2007, 11:12 PM
We'll see exactly what kind of team we really have in Huston; I'm hoping it's a lot different then what we've seen in preseason.

sling58
09-01-2007, 06:44 AM
We'll see exactly what kind of team we really have in Huston; I'm hoping it's a lot different then what we've seen in preseason.

It will be. We will have a good game at Houston

chief31
09-01-2007, 04:23 PM

Is this a "Superman II" reference? "Planet Huston"?

Chiefster
09-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Is this a "Superman II" reference? "Planet Huston"?

HA! Ummmmmmmm; yeah that's it! :D