PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: The Next Moves

m0ef0e
08-31-2007, 12:17 PM
GRETZ: The Next Moves

Aug 31, 2007, 8:50:56 AM by Bob Gretz (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/bob_gretz/) - FAQ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/01/19/bob_gretz_faq/)

ST. LOUIS – Last night at the Ed Dome here, the Chiefs finished up the pre-season losing 10-3 to the St. Louis Rams.
Game highlights included …
Enough of that.
Thankfully the pre-season is completed. Now, comes the matter of trimming the roster to the NFL limit of 53 players. That must get done by Saturday afternoon. The Chiefs may announce some of their moves as early as Friday afternoon.
For the most part, there really aren’t that many tough decisions for the Chiefs. Many of the players that will be released are names that are not well known to Chiefs fans. But there are some familiar names that were part of the discussions leading up to this final cut. Especially this year, with Herm Edwards talking about this team getting younger.
Whether or not any of these players actually sees the waiver wire remains to be seen, but you can bet there were discussions about the options with numerous veteran players like:
Tight End Jason Dunn. After starting the pre-season on the PUP list, Dunn got back on the field and he’s been less than impressive. He’s survived this long because of his ability to block and if the coaches feel that’s dropped off at all, there’s not much of a reason to keep him. Given the Chiefs offensive problems in the pre-season, the coaches on that side of the ball will likely lobby to keep any player that could provide help for that unit.
Safety Greg Wesley. The Chiefs have been trying to trade Wesley for the better part of the last six months. There have been a couple of interested parties including most recently the Houston Texans. That deal didn’t get done when Wesley refused to re-negotiate his contract. Wesley can still contribute on the field, but he won’t be a starter and that’s not likely to leave him as a happy camper.
Wide Receiver Samie Parker. There really hasn’t been much of a change in the evaluation of Parker since the end of last season. He’s physically gifted, but he drops too many passes and too often is not where he should be on pass routes. Herm Edwards wants to get Dwayne Bowe and Jeff Webb on the field in the offense, which is going to take away snaps from Parker. The addition of Eddie Drummond as a receiver-returner brings into discussion whether the Chiefs carry four or five receivers. If it’s four, Parker is the odd man out.
Fullback Boomer Grigsby. After last season, Grigsby knew the only way to save his spot on the Chiefs roster was to make the switch from linebacker to offense and the fullback position. He’s made great progress there, making himself more of a factor in the battle for roster spots than anyone would have imagined. Losing two games to injury did not help his cause. Neither did his dropped pass Thursday night in St. Louis, or his first holding call in pass protection. The Chiefs are not an every-down, two-back team, which means they have less of a need for a backup fullback.
Linebacker Rich Scanlon. The Chiefs figure to keep seven linebackers, although the situation with Wesley may force them to carry five safeties, which has a trickle down effect on the other positions. Right now, it looks like Scanlon trying to pry the seventh linebacker spot out of the hands of rookie free agent Nate Harris. Against St. Louis, Scanlon and Harris were on all four major kicking teams units. The decision may come down to Scanlon’s experience against Harris’ upside and speed.

swmochiefsfan
08-31-2007, 12:35 PM
I would really hate to see Boomer go, I like the way he plays, he just needs to come a little farther.

rbedgood
08-31-2007, 12:37 PM
GRETZ: The Next Moves

Aug 31, 2007, 8:50:56 AM by Bob Gretz (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/bob_gretz/) - FAQ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/01/19/bob_gretz_faq/)

ST. LOUIS – Last night at the Ed Dome here, the Chiefs finished up the pre-season losing 10-3 to the St. Louis Rams.
Game highlights included …
Enough of that.
Thankfully the pre-season is completed. Now, comes the matter of trimming the roster to the NFL limit of 53 players. That must get done by Saturday afternoon. The Chiefs may announce some of their moves as early as Friday afternoon.
For the most part, there really aren’t that many tough decisions for the Chiefs. Many of the players that will be released are names that are not well known to Chiefs fans. But there are some familiar names that were part of the discussions leading up to this final cut. Especially this year, with Herm Edwards talking about this team getting younger.
Whether or not any of these players actually sees the waiver wire remains to be seen, but you can bet there were discussions about the options with numerous veteran players like:
Tight End Jason Dunn. After starting the pre-season on the PUP list, Dunn got back on the field and he’s been less than impressive. He’s survived this long because of his ability to block and if the coaches feel that’s dropped off at all, there’s not much of a reason to keep him. Given the Chiefs offensive problems in the pre-season, the coaches on that side of the ball will likely lobby to keep any player that could provide help for that unit.
Safety Greg Wesley. The Chiefs have been trying to trade Wesley for the better part of the last six months. There have been a couple of interested parties including most recently the Houston Texans. That deal didn’t get done when Wesley refused to re-negotiate his contract. Wesley can still contribute on the field, but he won’t be a starter and that’s not likely to leave him as a happy camper.
Wide Receiver Samie Parker. There really hasn’t been much of a change in the evaluation of Parker since the end of last season. He’s physically gifted, but he drops too many passes and too often is not where he should be on pass routes. Herm Edwards wants to get Dwayne Bowe and Jeff Webb on the field in the offense, which is going to take away snaps from Parker. The addition of Eddie Drummond as a receiver-returner brings into discussion whether the Chiefs carry four or five receivers. If it’s four, Parker is the odd man out.
Fullback Boomer Grigsby. After last season, Grigsby knew the only way to save his spot on the Chiefs roster was to make the switch from linebacker to offense and the fullback position. He’s made great progress there, making himself more of a factor in the battle for roster spots than anyone would have imagined. Losing two games to injury did not help his cause. Neither did his dropped pass Thursday night in St. Louis, or his first holding call in pass protection. The Chiefs are not an every-down, two-back team, which means they have less of a need for a backup fullback.
Linebacker Rich Scanlon. The Chiefs figure to keep seven linebackers, although the situation with Wesley may force them to carry five safeties, which has a trickle down effect on the other positions. Right now, it looks like Scanlon trying to pry the seventh linebacker spot out of the hands of rookie free agent Nate Harris. Against St. Louis, Scanlon and Harris were on all four major kicking teams units. The decision may come down to Scanlon’s experience against Harris’ upside and speed.

Actually going to a fullback more often may help a lot with pass protection as well as run blocking. The lead block I saw him throw on the short yardage TD in one of the Hard Knocks episodes showed a lot of potential and fire. I basically live in hotels, so my time with NFL Network is limited and I didn't get to see last night's game.

chief31
08-31-2007, 12:49 PM
Actually going to a fullback more often may help a lot with pass protection as well as run blocking. The lead block I saw him throw on the short yardage TD in one of the Hard Knocks episodes showed a lot of potential and fire. I basically live in hotels, so my time with NFL Network is limited and I didn't get to see last night's game.

Whatever it takes to get those beds sold. :D

m0ef0e
08-31-2007, 12:50 PM
I would really hate to see Boomer go, I like the way he plays, he just needs to come a little farther.

I agree, I like Boomer as well.

rbedgood
08-31-2007, 01:19 PM
Whatever it takes to get those beds sold. :D

Chief,

Let it rest. Seriously though, I travel a lot for work

Chiefster
09-01-2007, 05:31 AM
I'd really like to see Boomer stay; kid has a lot of heart!

sling58
09-01-2007, 06:49 AM
I'd really like to see Boomer stay; kid has a lot of heart!

and a pretty cool haircut. I should do that.

Canada
09-01-2007, 10:46 AM

:lol: I'll give ya a haircut boy!! :afro:

sling58
09-01-2007, 10:47 AM
:lol: I'll give ya a haircut boy!! :afro:

I'll bet you will. It will probably be a sideways mohawk knowing you!

Canada
09-01-2007, 10:49 AM
I'll bet you will. It will probably be a sideways mohawk knowing you!

Nope...bald...down to the wood....then we will look like brothers!! :bananen_smilies046:

sling58
09-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Nope...bald...down to the wood....then we will look like brothers!! :bananen_smilies046:

I actually do shave my head with clippers down to the bare minimum. Don't razor it yet, to lazy.

Canada
09-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Do it with the Gilette Mach 3 Razor, It takes me 15 minutes and now I only have to do it once every 2 weeks!! It's less work in the long run.

Chiefster
09-01-2007, 08:46 PM
sling sportin a boomer???

sling58
09-02-2007, 07:44 AM
sling sportin a boomer???

If I didn't have to look professional at work I would probably do it

Chiefster
09-03-2007, 12:16 AM
If I didn't have to look professional at work I would probably do it

Go for it dude! :D

Canada
09-03-2007, 08:02 AM
All the cool kids are doing it!!

Chiefster
09-03-2007, 07:22 PM
All the cool kids are doing it!!
Right; don't you want to be cool!:yahoo:

Canada
09-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Come on man....u will be soooooo popular!!!

Chiefster
09-03-2007, 11:07 PM

All the chicks dig it man! :p

Canada
09-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Everyone will think u are a rebel!!

Chiefster
09-04-2007, 08:15 PM
I don't think he's listening.

Canada
09-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Kids today!! They never listen. I guess I am your prize pupil now!!

swmochiefsfan
09-05-2007, 09:52 AM
The Boomer huh......that might be a good look for me?:D

Chiefster
09-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Kids today!! They never listen. I guess I am your prize pupil now!!

Well you have excelled my young padawan.

The Boomer huh......that might be a good look for me?:D

Do it man; but you must provide photographic proof! :D

swmochiefsfan
09-06-2007, 11:01 AM
No faith huh, what is this photograghic proof you speak of?:D

Chiefster
09-06-2007, 10:57 PM
No faith huh, what is this photograghic proof you speak of?:D

You now something along the lines of:

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2007/09/6.jpg

sling58
09-07-2007, 08:00 AM

Ok I'll do it then.

sling58
09-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Everyone will think u are a rebel!!

I wanna be a rebel!

Chiefster
09-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Ok I'll do it then.

I wanna be a rebel!

Alright then; don't forget the photographic evidence.

sling58
09-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Alright then; don't forget the photographic evidence.

Oh there will never be any evidence.......

Chiefster
09-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Oh there will never be any evidence.......

Then it doesn't count. :p