PDA

View Full Version : OUCH Chargers 43 Chiefs 14 GROWING PAINS!!

matthewschiefs
11-29-2009, 07:15 PM
This game while the score will look like it did at arrowhead was different. This is one that shows the Chiefs have a long way to go. They showed very much that they are a young inconstant team. That being said at the very least they were ready to play at the start. They held the chargers to 3 and outs the first couple of times. Even got a couple of first downs. but then the turnovers started and it got ugly.

Positives
Jamal Charles he played well. HE CANT FUMBLE. Thats what kept him on the bench with LJ here hes got to learn to hold on to the ball. But overall he ran well and thats a positive.
The d early. They kept the chiefs in the game till about the 5 Minuit mark in the 2nd. Thats when the turnovers just got to much. The offense put them in a lot of bad spots. They were not perfect but They did play well early.

Negatives
Cassie. He is in a sense a 2nd year QB. He showed that today. This is a night he will have trouble sleeping. He will grow from it. But this is one of theses growing pains games.
Mistakes there were 4 turnovers and some penalties. Without them this is a closer game. And who nos what might have happened.

Overall this one is just a game teams in the chiefs situation go through. They will grow and learn from it I hope. This is a growing pains game.

Bring on the donkeys and GO CHIEFS!!!!!

josh1971
11-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Good review, but as I added in the official game thread, I think another positive is Chris Chambers. Best acquisition we've made since last year.

We'll get there, but the Chargers are playing hot, and we have more work to do before we are good. Need some different coaches too (QB, D-coordinator, O-line)

bigpoppachief
11-29-2009, 07:54 PM
The turnovers killed us plain and simple. The chargers have a dangerous Offense and we just gave the ball to them over and over again. It's Ok as long as we beat the donkey's I dont care we have one more win than last season already lol

Big Daddy Tek
11-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Fluke!!!!!!!

Three7s
11-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Fluke!!!!!!!
Fluke? We got destroyed by the Chargers both times......

Big Daddy Tek
11-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Fluke? We got destroyed by the Chargers both times......

The snap 15 feet over Cassels head. The ball slipping out when he tried to pass. There's 14. Jamal fumbling as we are easily driving up the field to tie after we just drove 91 yards the previous drive. A pass hitting a lineman in the head and flying up in the air for a jump ball interception. Come on man, what a lucky a$$, flukey a$$ win for the Chargers. 30 POINTS ON TURNOVERS! This game was a joke.

honda522
11-29-2009, 09:51 PM
The snap 15 feet over Cassels head. The ball slipping out when he tried to pass. There's 14. Jamal fumbling as we are easily driving up the field to tie after we just drove 91 yards the previous drive. A pass hitting a lineman in the head and flying up in the air for a jump ball interception. Come on man, what a lucky a$$, flukey a$$ win for the Chargers. 30 POINTS ON TURNOVERS! This game was a joke.
Yea, we gave SD the ball in the read zone for them too. :lamende:

Hayvern
11-29-2009, 10:11 PM
We were commenting today that it has been pretty unheard of how many times Cassel has had passes deflected this year.

I personally think this is a problem with the offensive line, but it seems now that teams know that Cassel has a problem with deflections and they are playing for the deflection.

At any rate, there has been a lot of those. There are lots of factors that go into that sort of thing, from the offensive line to the fact that he has to throw hard since our receivers do not seem to get any seperation from the defenders.

All in all, this game was a tough one, but not unexpected. This team has a long way to go and while there might be some movement forward, I am not seeing it. We made the same types of mistakes when we played the Chargers earlier in the year, maybe not as many, but they were there.

Defensive holding? What is that? The ref's all get together and decide that was the call they were going to make on defense all day?

texaschief
11-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Fluke!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but I agree with this completely. Today's loss wasn't NEARLY as bad as the first loss to the Chargers... or any of the other losses we've taken this year with the exception of the first Raider game.

Today was the first time I looked at this team and saw an NFL football team wearing the Chiefs uniform this season. Individual mistakes killed us today, but when the Chiefs were performing as a unit, they looked formidable. I was happy with the team today and honestly think this team is getting better. Points off turnovers just destroyed us.

honda522
11-29-2009, 11:04 PM
I don't get why all of you get your hopes up. You just need to take it as its going to be a close game so you don't give your hopes up.

Nothing is guaranteed. Notice I didn't predict we would win, never the less I didn't predict us to lose.

To be honest I didn't think we would really win because the Chargers were playing for the division title, and we are just playing to keep in the game.

matthewschiefs
11-29-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm sorry, but I agree with this completely. Today's loss wasn't NEARLY as bad as the first loss to the Chargers... or any of the other losses we've taken this year with the exception of the first Raider game.

Today was the first time I looked at this team and saw an NFL football team wearing the Chiefs uniform this season. Individual mistakes killed us today, but when the Chiefs were performing as a unit, they looked formidable. I was happy with the team today and honestly think this team is getting better. Points off turnovers just destroyed us.

While I agree that turnovers killed us and that its probley a much closer game if there are not the turnovers. I dont think you can say that it was a fluke. They got the pressure on Cassel that lead to the deflections. Thats just how it is. I dont think you can just say that its a fluke.

texaschief
11-29-2009, 11:27 PM
While I agree that turnovers killed us and that its probley a much closer game if there are not the turnovers. I dont think you can say that it was a fluke. They got the pressure on Cassel that lead to the deflections. Thats just how it is. I dont think you can just say that its a fluke.

The fluke was THAT kind of score and THOSE kinds of turnovers. That was just "one of those games."

matthewschiefs
11-29-2009, 11:45 PM
The fluke was THAT kind of score and THOSE kinds of turnovers. That was just "one of those games."

Yes it was One of those games. but YOU HAVE TO give the chargers credit. They Created those turnovers. They turned those turnovers into points. We had created turnovers and not turned them into points at times this season. Thats help cost us a few games. I am just saying you cant just call it a fluke. You have to give the chargers credit.

Chief Tyler
11-30-2009, 12:02 AM
Yes it was One of those games. but YOU HAVE TO give the chargers credit. They Created those turnovers. They turned those turnovers into points. We had created turnovers and not turned them into points at times this season. Thats help cost us a few games. I am just saying you cant just call it a fluke. You have to give the chargers credit.

They created those turnovers? I'd say the only one they created was the safety, and even that's being generous, it was just crappy/non-existent blocking and a straight shot at the QB, SD didn't do anything special there. As for the other turnovers: Cassel didn't even throw the ball into a pair of hands on his pick like his normal mediocre days, he threw it right into a helmet. Somehow Charles lost the ball even though the guy's hands were around his waste and they weren't really trying to strip the ball, I'd say his hands are just tiny, like the guy from the Whopper Jr. commercials. I'll give him a little credit though, he's brought a spark to the running game. San Diego can't force bad snaps, that's all on Niswanger.

To be fair though, I wouldn't blame it all on turnovers since our D couldn't stop my grandma from mozying down the field, the score might have been a little more respectable though.

texaschief
11-30-2009, 12:28 AM
They created those turnovers? I'd say the only one they created was the safety, and even that's being generous, it was just crappy/non-existent blocking and a straight shot at the QB, SD didn't do anything special there. As for the other turnovers: Cassel didn't even throw the ball into a pair of hands on his pick like his normal mediocre days, he threw it right into a helmet. Somehow Charles lost the ball even though the guy's hands were around his waste and they weren't really trying to strip the ball, I'd say his hands are just tiny, like the guy from the Whopper Jr. commercials. I'll give him a little credit though, he's brought a spark to the running game. San Diego can't force bad snaps, that's all on Niswanger.

To be fair though, I wouldn't blame it all on turnovers since our D couldn't stop my grandma from mozying down the field, the score might have been a little more respectable though.

The only turnover I thought they created was the Charles fumble. The defense can't be blamed. They couldn't get off the field. They were exhausted. Every time they got a chance to take a breath, the offense coughed the ball back up. They looked great to start the game. But once the offense started to turn the ball over, it just snow-balled.

Chief Tyler
11-30-2009, 12:42 AM
The only turnover I thought they created was the Charles fumble. The defense can't be blamed. They couldn't get off the field. They were exhausted. Every time they got a chance to take a breath, the offense coughed the ball back up. They looked great to start the game. But once the offense started to turn the ball over, it just snow-balled.

I guess it started happening at the same time, it's just that Rivers started getting hot when the game was still manageable.

texaschief
11-30-2009, 12:45 AM
I guess it started happening at the same time, it's just that Rivers started getting hot when the game was still manageable.

I CAN'T WAIT till next year when Crennel is calling the defense!! Look what happened to the Cardinal's defense once Pendergast left!! This guy reminds me of Gregg Robinson... gawd he's awful!!

ANY QB can get hot when coverage allows WIDE OPEN receivers.

IlovetheChiefs
11-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Yeah the 43-14 score was certainly an OUCH game. Turnovers definitely did kill us. And of course credit the Chargers excellent offense of Rivers and his receivers.

It was fun while it was 7-7, and when we had that nice drive to cut it to 35-14 with still most of the 3rd quarter left.

I agree, things just snowballed. An unfortunate game. Especially to go through a score like that again. But hey, the Chargers are playing on cloud 9 these days. I had said it was a shame we had to have a game like this on our schedule to follow the Steeler win.

We just need to bounce back next week. Hopefully can get at least 2 out of the next 3, all home games. That would continue our progression nicely, to 5-4 after the 0-5 start.

And look at Denver (if you can stand that, heh!). They also lost to SD by the same amount of points as we did (29). It was also their 4th loss in a row. Literally everyone was predicting the Giants to beat them. But they followed that 32-3 rout by SD with a 26-6 rout of their own. Surely we can follow the 43-14 drubbing by SD with at least a win (if not a rout!) next week at home.

GO CHIEFS!

Bike
11-30-2009, 10:49 AM
I CAN'T WAIT till next year when Crennel is calling the defense!! Look what happened to the Cardinal's defense once Pendergast left!! This guy reminds me of Gregg Robinson... gawd he's awful!!

ANY QB can get hot when coverage allows WIDE OPEN receivers.
Thats what I don't understand. If Pendergast (and ol and dl for that matter) coaches are so bad, why were 1: they hired. And 2: Why are they still here? It didn't take Haley long to release Gailey. Either you have the ability to take us to the next level. Or you don't. This will be a very interesting off-season.

pbatrucker
11-30-2009, 10:51 AM
I agree with Texas Chief, this was the first time this year that the offense came out early and looked good. Cassel was getting rid of the ball fast and we actually looked like a NFL team.
Yes the turnovers were weird, but still turnovers. The Chargers are a good football team and took advantage.
I blame Pendegrast for the defense. DJ is bad in coverage, then again Mays and Williams aren't very good either. Why not play the one that is gifted enough to make a big play every once in a while.
And my major beef with Mr. Pendegrast besides his cover schemes. because of injury, the Chargers startes an inexsperianced RT and he did not attack him at all. Personnelly of would have moved Hali to the left side and attacked him every play. Mr Gates might have had to stay in a block. Andy Studebaker showed in preseason he had the capability to rush the passer and he wasn't even utilized.
I really hope Romeo Crennel can be talked into coming to KC. The Defense will never be good until Pendegrast is gone,

yashi
11-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Our defense is so bad beyond belief and always seems to get progressively worse as the game goes on.

I HATE Clandy Pendergast. I think he's a terrible defensive coordinator. The Cardinals defense was bad last year, and now it's pretty good with him gone. They were even ranked #1 against the run a few weeks ago. I think the biggest improvement this team can make in the offseason would be to fire him and hire a better coordinator.

Seriously, why is Brandon Flowers always 1 on 1 40 yards downfield? Why are our safeties blitzing every other play? Sometimes you might need those guys to help in deep coverage. That is after all why they're called "safeties". Fortunately Flowers is a very good corner and was able to make a play against a big, fast, and talented receiver like Jackson, but that won't always be the case.

josh1971
11-30-2009, 06:20 PM
I think our safeties are blitzing so often because it's just about the only way we can generate pressure on a QB.

As to why Flowers plays with such a cushion? No idea, but it's a good way to give up tons of yards.

Yeah, looking at his history, I'd say hiring Pendergast was a bad idea. Strangely, we seemed even hesitant as an organization to say that we had. Remember how we never made a big deal by announcing who the DC was for a while? Strange.

I was watching some old chiefs games recently, and the defense we used to have was so fun to watch. When some poor sap got the ball, he was immediately flocked to by 7, 8 guys. Quarterbacks hated it.

yashi
11-30-2009, 07:23 PM
I think our safeties are blitzing so often because it's just about the only way we can generate pressure on a QB.

I know you're right. I hate that though. A defense needs to be able to generate pressure with 4 guys. We better acquire a great pass rusher and nose tackle this offseason.

josh1971
11-30-2009, 07:35 PM
I said that in another thread- we need a beastly pass rusher, and a drain plug in the middle.

Linebacker-wise, we have some good, talented guys that I hope we keep. The secondary? Well, I've been sticking up for Mike Brown in a difficult situation, but I've also maintained he's not a long term solution.

We need better coverage guys, and a better guy to coach the coverage guys.

I'm not willing to call Tyson Jackson a bust yet, and Glenn Dorsey is getting better and better, so we'll see how they look next year as well. I'm still miffed we let Tank Tyler go, but hey, it's not my call, and he's gone.

jb

Chiefster
11-30-2009, 10:36 PM
No this is growing pains:

YouTube- Growing Pains Theme Song - season 5

What we experienced Sunday was:

YouTube- BLOODY EXECUTION - BONNIE AND CLYDE 1967

YouTube- Training Day (Alonzo gets killed)

Connie Jo
12-01-2009, 09:05 AM
The turnovers killed us plain and simple. The chargers have a dangerous Offense and we just gave the ball to them over and over again. It's Ok as long as we beat the donkey's I dont care we have one more win than last season already lol

Yep, agree...turnovers killed us. The tipped ball that lead to an interception seemed to be the 'tip' of them all, haha. :)

I'm with ya...wanna beat the Donkey's this Sunday, and win that game more than any remaining!

IlovetheChiefs
12-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah this game coming up would be one of the most satisfying to win because it's the Donks. But then so would our last game of the year because it's also the Donks. Hopefully we ruin their playoff chances!

But beating Fubbalo would be so satisfying too because they routed us like 54-31 last year and because they have TO. And beating Cinci would be so satisfying for the same reasons; revenge for last year and they have LJ!

That leaves Cleveland. But we better win that one because that would be too sad falling to a terrible team like them at our own place. So actually, let's win out the rest of the way and finish 8-8!

Fouts
12-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Yeah this game coming up would be one of the most satisfying to win because it's the Donks. But then so would our last game of the year because it's also the Donks. Hopefully we ruin their playoff chances!

GO CHIEFS!!!! :sterb003: