PDA

View Full Version : Did Dick Vermeil leave and take all our luck with him?

figcrostic
11-30-2009, 01:47 PM
We were only down by one TD and then we get blown out, really bad snaps, freak interception of a helmet, and a fumble. It seems like when we had Vermeil we were a lucky team when something happened it was just usually in our favor. Hell we went 9-0 with no defense what so ever.

captainamerica
11-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I really really miss Dick. Everyone loves and needs Dick. Dick would make everything better.

kilobytes
11-30-2009, 05:31 PM
I really really miss Dick. Everyone loves and needs Dick. Dick would make everything better.
:funnypost:

josh1971
11-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Way to slant every answer to the question to fit your viewpoint. You could have a very lucrative career in doing stats and polls for politicians!

:bananen_smilies046:

texaschief
11-30-2009, 06:17 PM
No, he just left us with no developed talent. Imagine what this team would look like if just his FIRST rounders became starters... NOT Jared Allen type starters, just starters in general. His drafts during his time here killed this team LOOOONNG before Herm got a chance to.

honda522
11-30-2009, 07:41 PM
We use to be lucky, the refs were on our side alot more not too long ago, now the refs just hate us.

I think we had alot fo skill back then and alot of luck...until the playoffs.

Now we just are not that good of a team.

kilobytes
11-30-2009, 08:17 PM
No, he just left us with no developed talent. Imagine what this team would look like if just his FIRST rounders became starters... NOT Jared Allen type starters, just starters in general. His drafts during his time here killed this team LOOOONNG before Herm got a chance to.
Yes. People don't realize this. It didn't help Herm AT ALL. Herm can't receive all the blame. Some lies on Vermeil for crappy drafting and old players. Herm tried to rebuild this team from scratch because of this and failed but at least he gave us talent to build on.

Hayvern
11-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Yes. People don't realize this. It didn't help Herm AT ALL. Herm can't receive all the blame. Some lies on Vermeil for crappy drafting and old players. Herm tried to rebuild this team from scratch because of this and failed but at least he gave us talent to build on.

Herm can take most of the blame, and Peterson takes what is left. Herm was a horrible coach and had no idea at all how to build a team. Arguably his selections in the draft were barely better than Vermiel's. Edwards and Peterson both knew the position of this team. The effort to clean out all of the veterans was a conscious one, they purposely went down the path they did..

Vermiel tried to do what he did in St. Louis. You can say a lot about Vermiel, but one thing has to be said, that man knew how to build football teams to win. I am just not sure the current young coaches in this league have that figured out yet.

Hayvern
11-30-2009, 09:13 PM
We use to be lucky, the refs were on our side alot more not too long ago, now the refs just hate us.

I think we had alot fo skill back then and alot of luck...until the playoffs.

Now we just are not that good of a team.

I have said this before. Refs are like umpires. If you are a good team, they will tend to overlook small infractions, but if you are a bad team, they are going to call you on everything.

I am not saying it is correct to be this way, but that is how it is.

Umpires in baseball will give a larger strike zone to a pitcher that is close to the plate. Maddox used to piss me off to no end for the calls he would get that other pitchers would not.

The way it is for the Chiefs, we are not good enough to get a 20 yard carry, so if we do, the refs are going to be looking for that hold.

I have noticed it getting a little better though.

matthewschiefs
11-30-2009, 09:22 PM

Yes Vermil was not the best drafter but Herm and Carl HAVE TO take alot of blame. Simply put Herm got a team that the next year was able to make the playoffs. Then it went downhill. It was Herm and Carl makeing the decisons when things went like they are now. The trade of ALLEN was STUPID. He was a young player that had alot of talent and they let him go. You DO WHATEVER it takes when you have a player of that talent. I do think Dick is a small part of whats wrong but most the blame goes on Herm and CP for me. They were the ones on call when things started getting ugly. Neither one took any blame. It was always Dicks fault or the players. That will never get you anywere. ITs not all herm and cps fault but they are the ones largely to blame. Not dick IMO.

Chiefster
11-30-2009, 10:17 PM

I feel really dirty having read that...I'm going to shower for an hour now.

Ldub
11-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Herm did inherit an old team because Dick Vermeil liked to use veterans. That being sayed, Dick's reputation speaks for itself. He was a great coach. Edwards had plenty of time to build the team back up and couldnt do it.

matthewschiefs
11-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Herm did inherit an old team because Dick Vermeil liked to use veterans. That being sayed, Dick's reputation speaks for itself. He was a great coach. Edwards had plenty of time to build the team back up and couldnt do it.

Thats why we are were we are right now. Hopefuly things are going to be changeing starting next year. GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!

honda522
11-30-2009, 11:48 PM
:funnypost::lol::lol:

Wow.

captainamerica
12-01-2009, 12:57 AM
My brother used to bust my balls all the time when Vermeil was our coach since he's not a Chiefs fan. He used to always call us the hankerchiefs since Vermeil would cry all the time. It never bothered me in the slightest though. I was always complimented by the nickname. I thought it was cool and kind of funny that Vermeil cried all the time. Vermeil has always been my favorite coach and I wish he would've stayed for one more year. If Herm could've got us to the playoffs his first year as coach, Vermeil certainly could have as well and I think Vermeil would've done better in those playoffs than Herm did.

chief31
12-01-2009, 03:48 AM
Lucky? In the vermiel era? We sat out of the playoffs at 10-6! We lost a game that our offense never punted in!

I think that team was quite unlucky.

Nah. Herm just got rid of all the decent players that Vermiel left for him. Then they started for better teams.

Same as Haley has been doing. Martyrdom.

Cut players from the previous regime, and throw your arms in the air in frustration over having inherited no talent.

Meanwhile all the talent that was left to you gets gobbled up by better teams.

Not to say...

That Vermiel did a good job of drafting. Nor that he left in great position to build for the future. But that Herm supporters grossly exaggerate the poverty that Vermiel left his successor in.

Again, just like the new coach's supporters do.

Isawa_mo
12-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Lucky? In the vermiel era? We sat out of the playoffs at 10-6! We lost a game that our offense never punted in!

I think that team was quite unlucky.

Nah. Herm just got rid of all the decent players that Vermiel left for him. Then they started for better teams.

Same as Haley has been doing. Martyrdom.

Cut players from the previous regime, and throw your arms in the air in frustration over having inherited no talent.

Meanwhile all the talent that was left to you gets gobbled up by better teams.

Not to say...

That Vermiel did a good job of drafting. Nor that he left in great position to build for the future. But that Herm supporters grossly exaggerate the poverty that Vermiel left his successor in.

Again, just like the new coach's supporters do.

Not much of that talent has been gobbled up by other teams. Of that, consider how few are making much of an impact. Not many. The cupboard was pretty bare here.

I may give you Pollard, however, the Texans are going the wrong direction fast. We might end up with a better record than them in the end. Now, I am not saying that is all Pollard's fault by any means. I am just saying, he is heading towards being the leading tackler on another bad team. A few of the players that had some talent were not a fit for the defensive scheme (Boone, Turk, etc...). Again though, they are not lighting it up on their respective teams really.

Bike
12-01-2009, 09:34 AM
I think Carl nixed it - not Herm. Carl knew his days were gettin' thin and he wanted a championship yesterday and put off the rebuilding process untill it was too late. And it was Carl that brought Herm here in the first place. So I'll place the demise of this team firmly on Carl Peterson.

Eydugstr
12-01-2009, 10:56 AM

Not true. Petersen drafted a lot of players that Vermeil didn't want, the most notable being Ryan Sims and Larry Johnson.

garciakcfan
12-01-2009, 12:09 PM
theres no crying in football... enough said... Vermeil left this team old and talentless... i blame him... Herm didnt fair much better considering he had a few years to draft and develop something!!!!

captainamerica
12-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Not true. Petersen drafted a lot of players that Vermeil didn't want, the most notable being Ryan Sims and Larry Johnson.
Exactly and this is a point that should be mentioned more often in these discussions. You can't really blame Vermeil for poor drafts when he wasn't even given total control in these situations. King Carl and only King Carl are to blame.

figcrostic
12-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Way to slant every answer to the question to fit your viewpoint. You could have a very lucrative career in doing stats and polls for politicians!

:bananen_smilies046:

Geez man get off my nuts, and quit throwing in some kind of hatefully remark to every thread I start get a life or a hobby or something.

Connie Jo
12-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Herm can take most of the blame, and Peterson takes what is left. Herm was a horrible coach and had no idea at all how to build a team. Arguably his selections in the draft were barely better than Vermiel's. Edwards and Peterson both knew the position of this team. The effort to clean out all of the veterans was a conscious one, they purposely went down the path they did..

Vermiel tried to do what he did in St. Louis. You can say a lot about Vermiel, but one thing has to be said, that man knew how to build football teams to win. I am just not sure the current young coaches in this league have that figured out yet.

I don't disagree overall, but...I tend to reverse the blame giving more to Peterson than Edwards. I think Edwards was Peterson's puppet, did whatever he was told much of the time. Peterson was known to involve himself in the game, play calling, etc.. He certainly was to blame for the trading of many vital players to our team, such as Jared Allen.

matthewschiefs
12-01-2009, 03:58 PM
I think that most the blame Has to go to Carl peterson overall. He was there the longest he did far more then Herm or dick. Overall the current state of the Chiefs can be blamed on alot of people but mostly carl.

josh1971
12-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Geez man get off my nuts, and quit throwing in some kind of hatefully remark to every thread I start get a life or a hobby or something.

WHoop! My bad. :D

Quit throwing some kind of hate on the Chiefs in every thread you start, and I'll play nice too. :bananen_smilies046:

Seriously, though, I don't have any hate for ya. It's all part of internet tradition for me to act ten feet tall and like I have a two foot johnson, and that I know everything. I don't, and really I shouldn't have been an arse about your poll.

Carry on. Go Chiefs.

figcrostic
12-01-2009, 06:45 PM
WHoop! My bad. :D

Quit throwing some kind of hate on the Chiefs in every thread you start, and I'll play nice too. :bananen_smilies046:

Seriously, though, I don't have any hate for ya. It's all part of internet tradition for me to act ten feet tall and like I have a two foot johnson, and that I know everything. I don't, and really I shouldn't have been an arse about your poll.

Carry on. Go Chiefs.

How have I been spewing hate, because I don't like Cassel? Other then that, I have been very positive, I made thread about our standout players, and even made one about my love for Chris Chambers. Saying I am not impressed with our QB is not talking trash on our team, Cassel does not = The Chiefs. We could trade him at the end of the season and then what the Chiefs are over, no one player is as great as the team don't get it twisted. And act like a grown man, just because someone doesn't agree with your thoughts don't send some passive agressive comments over the internet, it's pathetic and childish I like a good debate, but not someone nit picking everything I type just because you are mad at me for calling out a player you admire isn't a good reason to snipe at me. I may not agree with everything you say, and vice-versa but I will be respectful to you as long as you do the same for me as I would any person.

Chiefster
12-01-2009, 08:43 PM
And act like a grown man, just because someone doesn't agree with your thoughts don't send some passive agressive comments over the internet, it's pathetic and childish I like a good debate, but not someone nit picking everything I type just because you are mad at me for calling out a player you admire isn't a good reason to snipe at me....

Ever went snipe hunting??? :D

figcrostic
12-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Ever went snipe hunting??? :D
Yeah my grandpa used to get me with that old trick :lol:.

Chiefster
12-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah my grandpa used to get me with that old trick :lol:.

Well, it is a right of passage. :D

tornadospotter
12-01-2009, 10:17 PM
There is a blue pill that will bring dick back to action, so I am told. Chiefster may know how to hook you up.:11:

Chiefster
12-02-2009, 12:01 AM
There is a blue pill that will bring dick back to action, so I am told. Chiefster may know how to hook you up.:11:

YouTube- Matrix

tornadospotter
12-02-2009, 01:15 AM
YouTube- Matrix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGQF8LAmiaE)
No no, not hook up, hook up with blue pill, you know, the one your wife, forget it. :D

Chiefster
12-03-2009, 12:16 PM
No no, not hook up, hook up with blue pill, you know, the one your wife, forget it. :D

Oh, you mean she's supposed to take it??? :D

endzonewillie
12-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Dick did what any good NFL HC does, he took the talent he had and picked up the FA talent that would help the Chiefs the most and did the job fate allowed. When Dick left the team and Edwards took job , Edwards had the chance to build on what was left to him but instead he didn't have the mental to handle the players the way Dick did and the players that mattered like Roaf, Green , Allen all knew it was a sinking ship and did what they could to get into something that would stay floating.No blame need be directed but, if I had to blame someone or something I would blame the state of missouri for not selling alcohol on Sundays! How do they expect to get a good coach to take over for the Chiefs when a guy can't buy a drink anywhere but Arrowhead on Sunday? (sarcasm)