PDA

View Full Version : i wish some fans would have more patience

marloweopatchiefs
12-06-2009, 07:47 PM
I for one am upset about the loss but come on it's not all haley's fault...he took over herm edwards team..he's working with what he's got as is matt cassel..i like haley and cassel..i like the fire haley brings...example did anyone see him getting after bobby wade after he dropped that pass...i still think kc will use all that salary cap money they have to work on this team..give it time...and there is on way we should start croyle...cassel don't have much to work with...if he has a better oline and some better recievers which i think they chiefs will be looking for this offseason he will be just fine..btw anyone see the argument between wade and haley..i think wade dropped 4 passes

#58ChiefsFan
12-06-2009, 08:36 PM
I think deep down everyone believed we had a better chance to win this game than we did. History would state that somehow we would find a way to pull this out but the Broncos are a superior team.

IlovetheChiefs
12-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Well the line was only 4 and a half for Denver so I don't think anyone expected to lose by 31.

I was surprised how well Buckhalter and the other rb's ran against us. Like someone said here, and like Mitch and Len said, they were pretty much moving at will against us.

Hayvern
12-07-2009, 12:16 AM
Blah blah blah, took over Herm's team blah blah blah.

Yeah he took over Herm's team, and Herm took over Vermiel's team and Vermiel took over Gunther Cunningham and the circle goes on and on.

Each coach has to take responsibility for what THEY put on the field. This is Haley's team and I don't care what Herm did, Haley has had a chance to put his mark on this team and he has done that.

He and Pioli did not sufficiently address the offensive line, they did not sufficiently address the defense and they have failed repeatedly to prepare this team on game day.

No matter what, this is Haley's team and he should be held responsible for what he has and has not done. Period.

tornadospotter
12-07-2009, 12:19 AM

Yeah he took over Herm's team, and Herm took over Vermiel's team and Vermiel took over Gunther Cunningham and the circle goes on and on.

Each coach has to take responsibility for what THEY put on the field. This is Haley's team and I don't care what Herm did, Haley has had a chance to put his mark on this team and he has done that.

He and Pioli did not sufficiently address the offensive line, they did not sufficiently address the defense and they have failed repeatedly to prepare this team on game day.

No matter what, this is Haley's team and he should be held responsible for what he has and has not done. Period.
I agree!!!!!!:bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
12-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Everyone has a right to their opinion and one opinion is no more valid then the next. The only thing I'm asking for, as a mod, at this point is that we not make 10000 threads all stating the same thing to have to wade through...oh and remain respectful. :D

marloweopatchiefs
12-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Well said chiefster. I am always optomistic about kc from week to week....haley already has won more games then herm did last year so i'm sitll gonna be optomistic these next 4 weeks.

tornadospotter
12-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Everyone has a right to their opinion and one opinion is no more valid then the next. The only thing I'm asking for, as a mod, at this point is that we not make 10000 threads all stating the same thing to have to wade through...oh and remain respectful. :D
:sign0023::sign0023::sign0023::D

Chiefster
Well said chiefster. I am always optomistic about kc from week to week....haley already has won more games then herm did last year so i'm sitll gonna be optomistic these next 4 weeks.

:bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
:sign0023::sign0023::sign0023::D

:lol:

greg3564
12-07-2009, 12:31 AM

To a certain extent, you are right. But, it's one thing to take over a team like Herm left. It's another to take over a team like Josh McDaniels did or even the team Herm took over. I'm willing to give him another season. He's a rookie coach and has taken on too much responsibility. I thought retaining Gailey wasn't going to work and it didn't. They should have brought in someone else. I think Pioli is going to insist that Hailey give up some control and bring in a stronger supporting cast. At this point it would be fruitless to bring in an OC. They're going to wait until the off-season to shop around and to see who comes available from the college and pro ranks.

Chiefster
12-07-2009, 12:33 AM
To a certain extent, you are right. But, it's one thing to take over a team like Herm left. It's another to take over a team like Josh McDaniels did or even the team Herm took over. I'm willing to give him another season. He's a rookie coach and has taken on too much responsibility. I thought retaining Gailey wasn't going to work and it didn't. They should have brought in someone else. I think Pioli is going to insist that Hailey give up some control and bring in a stronger supporting cast. At this point it would be fruitless to bring in an OC. They're going to wait until the off-season to shop around and to see who comes available from the college and pro ranks.

I hear Mangino's available. :lol:

tornadospotter
12-07-2009, 12:43 AM
I hear Mangino's available. :lol:
To be the O-Line!

matthewschiefs
12-07-2009, 12:43 AM
To be the O-Line!

i think we would be charged with to many men on the field :lol:

marloweopatchiefs
12-07-2009, 12:44 AM
i think the next 2 games are winnable

Chiefster
12-07-2009, 12:46 AM
To be the O-Line!

That's funny right there! :lol:

Well, goodnight Crowd! Parting is such sweet sorrow...yada, yada, yada...

Ldub
12-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Coaches Record in first year
Mike Shanahan 7-9
Bill Belichick 6-10
Tony Dungy 6-10
Dick Vermeil 4-10
Tom Coughlin 4-12
Bill Parcells 3-12
Bill Walsh 2-14
Chuck Noll 1-13

All these guys have superbowl rings, most have more than one. You cant REALLY judge a coach on there first year. There second year either for that matter. It takes time to implement a new system.

People could be right, he could be another Herm Edwards. Then again, he could be the next Bill Parcells. We will see in a few YEARS.

josh1971
12-07-2009, 01:15 AM
Mike Shanahan 7-9
Bill Belichick 6-10
Tony Dungy 6-10
Dick Vermeil 4-10
Tom Coughlin 4-12
Bill Parcells 3-12
Bill Walsh 2-14
Chuck Noll 1-13

All these guys have superbowl rings, most have more than one. You cant REALLY judge a coach on there first year. There second year either for that matter. It takes time to implement a new system.

People could be right, he could be another Herm Edwards. Then again, he could be the next Bill Parcells. We will see in a few YEARS.

Also don't forget Jimmy Johnson, who in his first season was 1-15, and went on to get a couple rings with the cowpokes.

PawnshopMarimba
12-07-2009, 02:07 AM
Haley may turn out to be a decent head coach, but the man NEEDS an offensive coordinator.

Being the head coach and trying to call the plays is very obviously too much for him to handle.

chief31
12-07-2009, 02:25 AM
Mike Shanahan 7-9
Bill Belichick 6-10
Tony Dungy 6-10
Dick Vermeil 4-10
Tom Coughlin 4-12
Bill Parcells 3-12
Bill Walsh 2-14
Chuck Noll 1-13

My complaints about Haley are not related to our current record.

It's primarily about his attitude toward the rest of the team.

matthewschiefs
12-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Mike Shanahan 7-9
Bill Belichick 6-10
Tony Dungy 6-10
Dick Vermeil 4-10
Tom Coughlin 4-12
Bill Parcells 3-12
Bill Walsh 2-14
Chuck Noll 1-13

I have been more then willing to give Haley this year to learn how to be a head coach. While I am not pleased that he did not have a team ready to play in a nfl game thats something that has happend to even the best coaches at times. It truely is to early. He is makeing mistakes now thats for sure. A team does not go 3-9 without the head coach makeing mistakes. But he took over a bad team so I was more then willing to give him this year. Next year while I dont think that this team is going to be superbowl contenders next season i do expect to see haley show some signs of improvement on this team. If we dont see any signs of improvement next year i think it will be time to look at who eles is out there.

IlovetheChiefs
12-07-2009, 02:05 PM
By the way, in Bill Parcells' debut season in 1983 where he went 3-12-1, guess which team beat him by the most points in all 12 of his losses?

That's correct! :)

GO CHIEFS!

OPLookn
12-07-2009, 02:29 PM
I for one am upset about the loss but come on it's not all haley's fault...he took over herm edwards team..he's working with what he's got as is matt cassel..i like haley and cassel..i like the fire haley brings...example did anyone see him getting after bobby wade after he dropped that pass...i still think kc will use all that salary cap money they have to work on this team..give it time...and there is on way we should start croyle...cassel don't have much to work with...if he has a better oline and some better recievers which i think they chiefs will be looking for this offseason he will be just fine..btw anyone see the argument between wade and haley..i think wade dropped 4 passes

And yet no one mentions Haley going for it on 4th and 8 on our own what...28? Yet he punts the ball away on 4th and 1? C'mon now... Everyone but Hali sucked yesterday even the great (give him some time) Cassell.

Cassel had a lot of time yesterday and even if he didn't for the time he DID have he threw some very horrible passes. My proof would be a QB rating of 14 for him yesterday. You can blame it on the receivers but that's like me blaming the beer for getting me drunk...

matthewschiefs
12-07-2009, 02:43 PM
And yet no one mentions Haley going for it on 4th and 8 on our own what...28? Yet he punts the ball away on 4th and 1? C'mon now... Everyone but Hali sucked yesterday even the great (give him some time) Cassell.

Cassel had a lot of time yesterday and even if he didn't for the time he DID have he threw some very horrible passes. My proof would be a QB rating of 14 for him yesterday. You can blame it on the receivers but that's like me blaming the beer for getting me drunk...

While I agree that its realy not a point who messed up when it comes to QB rating the droped passes and there were alot of them do hurt his rating when he did his job. Cassle was to blame for a lot of what happend but some of what happend was not his fault. Just think if wade had brought that pass in one the first drive and got a TD that would have brought that rating alot. Cant place all the blame on cassle for that rating. You can alot of it but not all. But to me the QB rating is overrated.

Chiefster
12-07-2009, 02:45 PM
My complaints about Haley are not related to our current record.

It's primarily about his attitude toward the rest of the team.

I think, at times, he's conlficted between his Head Coaching responsibilities and trying, also, to be the OC IMO.

Hayvern
12-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Mike Shanahan 7-9
Bill Belichick 6-10
Tony Dungy 6-10
Dick Vermeil 4-10
Tom Coughlin 4-12
Bill Parcells 3-12
Bill Walsh 2-14
Chuck Noll 1-13

OK, don't make me go through this list and show you why Haley is NOT like ANY of these guys on this list.

OK, so you are going to make me.

Haley, 14 years as a coach at some level, 1 years as offensive coordinator, only 8 years as a coach of any substance.

Shanahan, 14 years coaching experience prior to being named head coach, including 9 years as Offensive Coordinator at both the college and NFL level. He failed at his first stint lasting 2 years, went back to offensive coordinator for 2 years and then was renamed as head coach.

Bill Walsh 13 years of coaching prior to being named head coach to the 49ers. Including 9 years as assitant coach for the Bengals.

Belicheck 15 years in football before being named to first head coaching job including. He then became an Assistant head coach for 5 years before becoming head coach of the patriots.

Dungy 16 years of coaching before being named head coach, including 7 years as defensive coordinator.

Vermiel, while I cannot find any specific information about his entire career, he did perform as head coach at a college team before being named as Head Coach for the Eagles. This man coached for over 35 years and had a track record of being able to build teams prior to being named NFL head coach.

Coughlin, coached 16 years before being named head coach including three years as head coach at Boston College where he took his team to bowl games two of the three years he was there.

Parcells, coached for 19 years prior to being named as head Coach for the Giants, including one year as head Coach for Air Force.

Chuck Noll Spent 9 years coaching before being named as head coach to the steelers. This is the one guy, that you could say would be similar to Haley in his experience as a coach. Of course he coached in a different time than today, but this Noll does equate well.

OK ultimately, the names on this list had much more experience in football as a coach than Haley does. Most of these guys cut their teeth as Assistant Coaches, Coordinators or Head Coaches on college teams prior to being named head coach in the NFL. They all paid their dues and learned the ropes from others.

Haley is a relative newcomer who has been thrust into a head coaching position way before his time. He had no record of working on winning teams in any capacity other than Wide Receiver's coach. He obviously got some good experience in his two years at Arizona, and if he had continued to work there for two or more years, I would argue that he is ready to go. This guy has shown nothing that says he is ready for the big time and he was a poor choice as head coach for a team that needed a proven leader.

I am ready to cut our losses with this guy and send him on his way, it is not unprecedented, a number of coaches even on this list you provided had to go back down and cut their teeth. I have no doubt that Haley at some point might make a good head coach, even winning the super bowl at some point, but not this time around.

Frankly, we did not need to have a rookie head coach, a rookie GM, and a rookie team this season. We needed one of those three to have some experience. It seems obvious to me that we would want someone with a lot of experience on what it takes to build a team, Haley is NOT that guy right now.

josh1971
12-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Snnnnnnnnnnip!

Frankly, we did not need to have a rookie head coach, a rookie GM, and a rookie team this season. We needed one of those three to have some experience. It seems obvious to me that we would want someone with a lot of experience on what it takes to build a team, Haley is NOT that guy right now.

Pioli is a "rookie" GM? What?

May be his first year in KC, but you could hardly call the guy a rookie GM.

Hayvern
12-08-2009, 01:54 AM
Pioli is a "rookie" GM? What?

May be his first year in KC, but you could hardly call the guy a rookie GM.

HAs he ever been a GM before? Ever?

The prosecution rests.

texaschief
12-08-2009, 03:36 AM
I for one am upset about the loss but come on it's not all haley's fault...he took over herm edwards team.

To a certain extent, you are right. But, it's one thing to take over a team like Herm left. It's another to take over a team like Josh McDaniels did or even the team Herm took over.

First off, let me say this "Haley took over Herm's team" crap is INCREDIBLY stupid considering the BEST players on this team are guys Herm brought in. Name ONE player who Pioli/Haley brought in who are playing at a level even COMPARABLE to Glenn Dorsey, Tamba Hali, Jamaal Charles, or even... yes I'm gonna say it... Bernard Pollard. Because I guarantee you that TJ can't compare to Dorsey, Vrabel can't touch Tamba, Brown was an EPIC fail considering the RELEASE of Pollard, and the RB we drafted this year hasn't even been able to stay on the active roster for any extended period of time. Matt Cassel isn't performing ANY better than the other two QBs who were already here, would have. Belcher isn't better than DJ. EVERY move on the O-line has been a lateral move AT BEST.

Second, Dick Vermeil decided to retire because the team had peaked and he knew it. Vermeil wouldn't have done any better the years following his retirement with the group he left than Edwards did. Edwards wanted to "rebuild" from the first year he was here but wasn't given the "ok" until last season. Imagine what this team would've looked like had CP allowed the rebuild to begin after Vermeil left. We would've traded LJ (like we should have... which is something I was SCREAMING for before they gave him the new contract. Feel free to go thru the archives... it's there.) We could have traded TG for a package comparable to the JA deal, which is A LOT more than what we got this year and would've gone a LONG way to making us competitive sooner. There were plenty of aging pieces that we could've traded for draft picks, but didn't. Then, CP allows hall of fame O-linemen to retire before drafting replacements... UNFORGIVABLE! Perhaps if those things had happened, we'd still have Jared Allen because we wouldn't have needed draft picks so desperately. But since they waited so long to commit to the rebuild, they had to trade the only piece that could bring a large bounty. So, there goes our pass rush. Finally, because we had no more valuable pieces, Pioli had to trade away our only piece left in Tony Gonzalez... a guy who should've played his entire career here.

Herm Edwards made a couple gaffs as a head coach, but they pale in comparison to the gaffs Haley is making. The first two years of Edward's tenure here were the last years of Vermeil's "glory" years that CP was desperately trying to hold on to. While a 2-14 year was a strong possibility during a "transition" or "rebuilding" year and probably wouldn't have been avoided, the three years prior to that, COULD have been. 2009 is 2008 all over again, except with better talent held over than that of 2007 and 2006. 2009 SHOULD have been year 2 of the rebuild, but as soon as Pioli fired Edwards, it became year 1 part II.

Now, with so many people disliking Haley for one reason or another, we're now becoming what I was afraid we'd become all along. I was a staunch Edwards supporter because I knew that once we started turning over coaches every 3 or 4 years, we'd never get out of that trend. After just one season, at least half the Chiefs fan base is calling for Haley's head. Personally, I don't care if Haley is fired as long as Pioli is left in charge as the GM and keeps going forward with the 3-4 base defense and at least some basic form of an offense in mind that he can build toward.

Edwards fought tooth and nail for a rebuild and when he finally got it, it was ripped from him and started all over again by someone who didn't know the personnel he had. I think it was a failure on Pioli's part to fire everyone who had anything to do with this team prior to his arrival and it has led to some of the worst decisions that could've been made for this team going forward. I want to have faith that he can right the ship, but if he has another HUGE failure in the draft like he had this past year and keeps sitting on the most available cash, it's going to be EXTREMELY hard to keep supporting this guy.

chief31
12-08-2009, 03:42 AM
First off, let me say this "Haley took over Herm's team" crap is INCREDIBLY stupid considering the BEST players on this team are guys Herm brought in. Name ONE player who Pioli/Haley brought in who are playing at a level even COMPARABLE to Glenn Dorsey, Tamba Hali, Jamaal Charles, or even... yes I'm gonna say it... Bernard Pollard. Because I guarantee you that TJ can't compare to Dorsey, Vrabel can't touch Tamba, Brown was an EPIC fail considering the RELEASE of Pollard, and the RB we drafted this year hasn't even been able to stay on the active roster for any extended period of time. Matt Cassel isn't performing ANY better than the other two QBs who were already here, would have. Belcher isn't better than DJ. EVERY move on the O-line has been a lateral move AT BEST.

Second, Dick Vermeil decided to retire because the team had peaked and he knew it. Vermeil wouldn't have done any better the years following his retirement with the group he left than Edwards did. Edwards wanted to "rebuild" from the first year he was here but wasn't given the "ok" until last season. Imagine what this team would've looked like had CP allowed the rebuild to begin after Vermeil left. We would've traded LJ (like we should have... which is something I was SCREAMING for before they gave him the new contract. Feel free to go thru the archives... it's there.) We could have traded TG for a package comparable to the JA deal, which is A LOT more than what we got this year and would've gone a LONG way to making us competitive sooner. There were plenty of aging pieces that we could've traded for draft picks, but didn't. Then, CP allows hall of fame O-linemen to retire before drafting replacements... UNFORGIVABLE! Perhaps if those things had happened, we'd still have Jared Allen because we wouldn't have needed draft picks so desperately. But since they waited so long to commit to the rebuild, they had to trade the only piece that could bring a large bounty. So, there goes our pass rush. Finally, because we had no more valuable pieces, Pioli had to trade away our only piece left in Tony Gonzalez... a guy who should've played his entire career here.

Herm Edwards made a couple gaffs as a head coach, but they pale in comparison to the gaffs Haley is making. The first two years of Edward's tenure here were the last years of Vermeil's "glory" years that CP was desperately trying to hold on to. While a 2-14 year was a strong possibility during a "transition" or "rebuilding" year and probably wouldn't have been avoided, the three years prior to that, COULD have been. 2009 is 2008 all over again, except with better talent held over than that of 2007 and 2006. 2009 SHOULD have been year 2 of the rebuild, but as soon as Pioli fired Edwards, it became year 1 part II.

Now, with so many people disliking Haley for one reason or another, we're now becoming what I was afraid we'd become all along. I was a staunch Edwards supporter because I knew that once we started turning over coaches every 3 or 4 years, we'd never get out of that trend. After just one season, at least half the Chiefs fan base is calling for Haley's head. Personally, I don't care if Haley is fired as long as Pioli is left in charge as the GM and keeps going forward with the 3-4 base defense and at least some basic form of an offense in mind that he can build toward.

Edwards fought tooth and nail for a rebuild and when he finally got it, it was ripped from him and started all over again by someone who didn't know the personnel he had. I think it was a failure on Pioli's part to fire everyone who had anything to do with this team prior to his arrival and it has led to some of the worst decisions that could've been made for this team going forward. I want to have faith that he can right the ship, but if he has another HUGE failure in the draft like he had this past year and keeps sitting on the most available cash, it's going to be EXTREMELY hard to keep supporting this guy.

Same excuses, different HC.:lamende:

marloweopatchiefs
12-08-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm more then willing to give haley at least another season..i didn't expect much from this season...so yeah..

josh1971
12-08-2009, 03:19 PM
HAs he ever been a GM before? Ever?

The prosecution rests.

Oh my garsh... you sure got me there! His title was different in NE, but he was essentially doing the same thing. Wow, you won the semantics battle.

AussieChiefsFan
12-09-2009, 02:14 AM

I think haley deserves some more time.

prough91
12-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Pioli and Haley has not done one thing to impress me yet.

AussieChiefsFan
12-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Atleast we beat the steelers. And at this point in the season last year we were 1-11! now er're 3-9

Vandelay
12-09-2009, 10:09 PM
A prough91 sighting. I was just thinkin' the other day "what happened to that guy?"

prough91
12-09-2009, 10:12 PM
A prough91 sighting. I was just thinkin' the other day "what happened to that guy?"

I still come in and read from time to time. Plus, ain't had the internet for quite a while!

AussieChiefsFan
12-09-2009, 10:13 PM
I still come in and read from time to time. Plus, ain't had the internet for quite a while!
I remember when my internet was down for 3 weeks once. Hell.....

tornadospotter
12-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Same here, I am willing to give Pioli more time. But not impressed with a Rookie NFL Head Coach with an attitude of, I can do it all myself, don't need any other coaches helping me with the offense, after all I was a OC of a Super Bowl team.

Connie Jo
12-09-2009, 10:28 PM

I agree with you, but I also agree with 'marlow'. The Chiefs have claimed to be re-building for a few yrs now, but this time I believe they are headed in the right direction. Might be my sense of false hope, haha. :)

Haley is a first year head coach, and we have many young unexperienced players, it's a new team of trial & tribulation, and unforeseen change: IE: Johnson's release.

Yes, Haley is responsible, as well as Pioli...if together they don't correct what obviously needs corrected when they can. They're limited in many ways for what they can correct, including time frame. I still believe only time will tell...whether or not Haley is a success or failure as the Chiefs Head Coach, and there hasn't been adequate time IMO to call it one way or another.

AussieChiefsFan
12-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Same here, I am willing to give Pioli more time. But not impressed with a Rookie NFL Head Coach with an attitude of, I can do it all myself, don't need any other coaches helping me with the offense, after all I was a OC of a Super Bowl team.
Yeah that's one thing that I am frustrated about too!!

Why be Head coach, Offensive Coach AND QB Coach. It doesnt make sense.

AussieChiefsFan
12-09-2009, 10:31 PM
I agree with you, but I also agree with 'marlow'. The Chiefs have claimed to be re-building for a few yrs now, but this time I believe they are headed in the right direction. Might be my sense of false hope, haha. :)

Haley is a first year head coach, and we have many young unexperienced players, it's a new team of trial & tribulation, and unforeseen change: IE: Johnson's release.

Yes, Haley is responsible, as well as Pioli...if together they don't correct what obviously needs corrected when they can. They're limited in many ways for what they can correct, including time frame. I still believe only time will tell...whether or not Haley is a success or failure as the Chiefs Head Coach, and there hasn't been adequate time IMO to call it one way or another.
Well it IS the first year of the new regime.

Isawa_mo
12-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Well, Haley has said himself he does not think its an ideal situation. If he is being truthful, then we will see an OC here next year. One can assume at this piont we will also see a new DC, but time will tell. I think they were pressured by the owner to give Gailey a chance and by the time it was decided that it would not work out, it was too late to make another hire.

rustic
12-10-2009, 09:46 AM
I think it'll be interesting to see how Haley continues to mature as a coach..

He came into KC being all arrogance and confidence incarnate, probably for two reasons:
1) He'd been a coordinator long enough to think he knew what head coaches did wrong, and wasn't going to make *those* mistakes, and
2) He knew that what the team needed was someone who knew the right path to take, and someone to confidently lead them. And he was sure it was him.

Unfortunately, like anybody recently promoted to a new position, he's figuring out that it's harder than it looks. He came off as dickish early on (the whole Waters incident, etc), and the team just doesn't have the talent (across the board) necessary to win consistently. So he focused on execution and effort, and they've honestly had some decent performances, given the general mismatch of talent on the field in most games.

I think this season, he's probably learned a lot about what he *didn't* know. His comments after Monty Beisel's special teams end-zone SNAFU were interesting along those lines..he basically said that he'd always sworn to never let *THAT* happen to a team he coached, then it did.

There's plenty about Haley that can get under your skin, but I'm all for giving the guy time to get it figured out. I think he's highly motivated, has managed to get good performance out of the roster he has, and he's figuring it out. Once he can offload some of his responsibilities to coordinators, he'll probably improve more.

And he gets a total pass from me on quotes like the "right 53" and such. He's the coach, and he's trying to inspire his team. So when you ask him, "Do you have what it takes to win?", and he's spent all week telling the team that they *can* win this game, he can't exactly say, "Nope. We're hosed. Maybe next year".

I think that fixing the Chiefs is a little like fixing the economy. It's a complicated enough situation that a simple change here or there isn't going to fix it, and anybody that tells you different probably isn't telling the whole truth. We're not a coach, quarterback, or draft pick away from the Superbowl. We're years of consistent hard work away.

I'm not enjoying this part of the process, but I honestly have a lot more confidence in the odds of success than other "rebuilding" plans I've seen, here and elsewhere.

Continue to improve talent on roster. Even with some screwups, my money is on Pioli outperforming 75% of the NFL in overall draft/FA decisions. Continue to build a smart, never-quit team out of that roster. I can't think of a better plan.

I'm a homer, but I'm actually excited about where the Chiefs are right now. As we get the right talent in, with many of this year's starters providing great depth, we're going to end up with a good team all across the 53-man roster. I think we're watching the building of a real, consistently outperforming football team.

I don't want to see short-term decisions that let us sprint into the playoffs, then spend 4 yrs paying off the bill for that shot. I want to see long-term decisions that let us make the playoffs almost every year for the next twenty years, with a legitimate Superbowl shot every 3 or 4.

- Jeff