PDA

View Full Version : Cassel isn't the next Trent Green

figcrostic
12-08-2009, 10:16 PM
He is the next Elvis Grbac. Both about 6"5 240, both played for great teams (Grbac 49ers in the 90's and Cassel the Patriots) and looked good on them, both drafted in the later rounds, both were backups to great qb's Grbac had Steve Young and Cassel had Tom Brady both were picked up by the Chiefs and reality sank in.

Kid Azteca
12-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Lol. Trent Green? How many Super Bowls did he take the Chiefs to?

honda522
12-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Hey tool bag, Trent Green was one of the best Qb's we have had.

matthewschiefs
12-08-2009, 10:55 PM

Trent Green might not have lead the Chiefs to a superbowl but a lot of that was not his fault. He played well enough to get the Chiefs there. The Chiefs had a offense that was more then good enough to get there. It was the D that kept the Chiefs from going to the Superbowl.

figcrostic
12-08-2009, 10:58 PM

How many superbowls did Dan Marino take the dolphins too? Yet he is still one of the best. Trent Green is arguably our best QB in the history of our franchise and a two time pro-bowler plus I didnt make the comparison look at the front page.

Chiefster
12-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Just to get this straight; you don't like Cassel. :D

figcrostic
12-08-2009, 11:10 PM

Do you like him?

Chiefster
12-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Do you like him?

I don't really know him, but he seems like a decent fellow. :D

Isawa_mo
12-09-2009, 02:48 AM
Hmmm...

You know, its probably a bad idea to mention his New England record anymore either. I notice he was doing better with that team than Tom Brady is doing now. I only mention it because people like to throw up how he could only win 11 games with a team Tom Brady went 18-1 with. Well, lets see if the Pats can get to 11 wins with a team Cassell could!

As far as whether or not Cassell will be more like Trent Green or Grbac, you really do not know. Of course, the nice thing for you is, if he does end up more like Trent Green you will just jump on the bandwagon and forget all about the billion threads you are starting this year...

In the end, it will all depend on what type of pieces they surround him with. I can tell you right now, I like plenty of what I have seen from Cassell. Definately enough to see him get a shot with more weapons around him.

MDChiefs!
12-09-2009, 07:54 AM
we also had the bottom of the barrel defense when Trent was our QB...I dont think we can say if he is like Green or not...Trent Green wasnt even Trent Green his first year here..lets at least give the guy a season

honda522
12-09-2009, 09:51 AM
we also had the bottom of the barrel defense when Trent was our QB...I dont think we can say if he is like Green or not...Trent Green wasnt even Trent Green his first year here..lets at least give the guy a season
Lets not forget that the OL wasn't this bad ever in Chiefs history I am sure of.

figcrostic
12-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Lets not forget that the OL wasn't this bad ever in Chiefs history I am sure of.

Cassel makes our bad O-line horrid, no-one can be expected to protect a qb for that long.

MDChiefs!
12-09-2009, 04:52 PM
agreed. as bad as our o-line is, they have been playing better as of late but Matt Cassel doesnt help out at all holding onto the ball for too long. He needs to learn to get rid of it..

Cassel makes our bad O-line horrid, no-one can be expected to protect a qb for that long.

SAPHOJUNKIE
12-09-2009, 06:00 PM
This dude is just like Whitlock. Anyone remember when he wouldn't stop writing about TrInt Green and how bad of a personnel move that was?

By the way, does anyone remember what we gave up for Green? It was the 12th OVERALL PICK IN THE DRAFT.

of course, whitlock sings Green's mighty praises now, which is exactly what you'll be doing for Cassel. Why? Because people like you who make uninformed, snap judgements, are often apt to change them like a thief in the night, hoping no one notices when you reverse your position.

This is just like Roulette, pal. If you bet both sides, you just end up losing both when GREEN comes up.

SAPHOJUNKIE
12-09-2009, 06:02 PM
agreed. as bad as our o-line is, they have been playing better as of late but Matt Cassel doesnt help out at all holding onto the ball for too long. He needs to learn to get rid of it..

And yet he hasn't had a lot of interceptions, and the majority of them have come in the last couple of weeks.

Yes, he needs to get rid of the ball faster, but don't go pretending that the line is giving him anywhere NEAR enough time to make consistent throws.

Behind this line, two seconds is too long.

Sick Dog
12-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Step back from the ledge already! I guess after 12 games we know he is not our QB of the future:lamende: Hmmm....Trent Green best O-line in the NFL the entire time he was with the Chiefs, Tony G. best tight end ever oh ya and some guy who holds a Chiefs record for RB's that Johnson never got to break....I am not anointing Cassel anything but I sure will give him a chance when and if he gets some kind of receiver who can catch a running game and ya someone to protect him....and don't start saying throw the ball sooner his receivers can't get open half the time or run the right route and when they may they are dropping the ball the Chiefs lead the league in drops.

The QB is the last position this team needs to worry about:sign0023:

Ldub
12-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Step back from the ledge already! I guess after 12 games we know he is not our QB of the future:lamende: Hmmm....Trent Green best O-line in the NFL the entire time he was with the Chiefs, Tony G. best tight end ever oh ya and some guy who holds a Chiefs record for RB's that Johnson never got to break....I am not anointing Cassel anything but I sure will give him a chance when and if he gets some kind of receiver who can catch a running game and ya someone to protect him....and don't start saying throw the ball sooner his receivers can't get open half the time or run the right route and when they may they are dropping the ball the Chiefs lead the league in drops.

Bravo, I completely agree.

hometeam
12-09-2009, 08:35 PM

hmm, too bad someone didnt say this in the offseason and save us years of excuses and cap space~

Connie Jo
12-09-2009, 10:39 PM

Oh lordy...you again huh? hahaha :)

Simply because a team doesn't make it to a Super Bowl with a particular QB doesn't mean the QB wasn't a good one. Trent Green was rated among the top 3 QB's 3 different seasons, behind McNabb and Brady. A QB is only as good as his team is, including coaching.

Heck, not even Peyton Manning had the stat's Trent Green had during those 3 seasons, he was rated 4th & 5th if memory is correct...however, the media made Manning their golden boy. Many assumed Manning had better stats than even Brady...which he did not.

I wonder...how many SB's would Joe Montana have made it to without Jerry Rice, or a decent defense and O-Line. Our O-Line had begun to weaken with Green at the helm, and our defense was poor. We had great offense stats with Green, poor defensive stats however.

matthewschiefs
12-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Oh lordy...you again huh? hahaha :)

Simply because a team doesn't make it to a Super Bowl with a particular QB doesn't mean the QB wasn't a good one. Trent Green was rated among the top 3 QB's 3 different seasons, behind McNabb and Brady. A QB is only as good as his team is, including coaching.

Heck, not even Peyton Manning had the stat's Trent Green had during those 3 seasons, he was rated 4th & 5th if memory is correct...however, the media made Manning their golden boy. Many assumed Manning had better stats than even Brady...which he did not.

I wonder...how many SB's would Joe Montana have made it to without Jerry Rice, or a decent defense and O-Line. Our O-Line had begun to weaken with Green at the helm, and our defense was poor. We had great offense stats with Green, poor defensive stats however.

I get laughed at all the time for saying that the media overrates manning. Hes good but hes not as good as the media makes it out to be. He has had great recivers and that has helped him as well. Trent didnt have the great recivers that Manning did Not saying that Trent is as good as manning but Trent did not have the weapons that manning did. Trent was great in KC, We would be lucky if we could somehow bring Trent from his hayday to this team.

Connie Jo
12-09-2009, 10:49 PM

:lol:

TheLateGreat#58Fan
12-09-2009, 10:56 PM
This dude is just like Whitlock. Anyone remember when he wouldn't stop writing about TrInt Green and how bad of a personnel move that was?

By the way, does anyone remember what we gave up for Green? It was the 12th OVERALL PICK IN THE DRAFT.

of course, whitlock sings Green's mighty praises now, which is exactly what you'll be doing for Cassel. Why? Because people like you who make uninformed, snap judgements, are often apt to change them like a thief in the night, hoping no one notices when you reverse your position.

This is just like Roulette, pal. If you bet both sides, you just end up losing both when GREEN comes up.

Get Him:sterb003: :sterb003:

I just enjoyed the post, b/c I cant stand it when fans just b**** about every negative thing they can find.

and your right everybody will be straddling themselves into the bandwagon when we start winning.

Why is everyone amazed a player had better stats on a team with a better O-line and more offensive weopons.
Did everyone see all the drops in the Broncos game it would make any QB hold the ball longer and keep looking

Connie Jo
12-09-2009, 10:58 PM
I get laughed at all the time for saying that the media overrates manning. Hes good but hes not as good as the media makes it out to be. He has had great recivers and that has helped him as well. Trent didnt have the great recivers that Manning did Not saying that Trent is as good as manning but Trent did not have the weapons that manning did. Trent was great in KC, We would be lucky if we could somehow bring Trent from his hayday to this team.

I use to become very frustrated when the media focused so much on Manning, yet Trent was rated higher, as well as Brady & McNabb those seasons. I dont' become frustrated any more, grown complacent I suppose.

I still don't think Manning is as great as the media hype, by comparison to QB's such as Montana and Favre...likely never will think he's a great QB, rather a good one, but not great.

chief31
12-10-2009, 06:37 AM

WHile I agree that Cassel has time to improve his play...

Green didn't get excellent protection until his second year here, when Roaf arrived.

And even then, it wasn't an immediately great o-line. They took awhile to 'get it together'.

Sick Dog
12-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Ok fine exactly and he threw 24 picks that year and everyone here is bagging on Cassel and his 12 starts this year and 15 1/2 last year what a joke.....

yashi
12-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Yikes. I can't believe anyone is saying Peyton Manning is overrated. Eli? Definitely. Peyton? Definitely not. He is the first quarterback in NFL history to have 12 straight 25 TD seasons. He's had a 49 touchdown season. He's won a Super Bowl. He's 12-0 despite a rookie coach, average defense, average (at best) offensive line, no running attack, and scrub receivers after Wayne and Clark. He commands an offense at the line like no other player I've ever seen. He is the exact prototype scouts look for in a quarterback in size, physical tools, intangibles, production. He is the most consistent QB ever, and one of the greatest of all time as well.

SAPHOJUNKIE
12-10-2009, 01:17 PM

You get laughed at, because you're horribly wrong.

Manning is one of, if not THE best quarterback to play the position. He has absolutely every single asset you could ask for, and yes, that includes good receivers. But it's not like those guys are getting their stats by dominating in one on one matchups when peyton just throws up jump balls. they aren't breaking tackles after the catch. yes, they sometimes do those things, but far more it's where they are catching the ball that makes the play.

I understand if you don't like the guy. I don't like Brady, but I still know he's a very good quarterback.

figcrostic
12-10-2009, 02:18 PM
You get laughed at, because you're horribly wrong.

Manning is one of, if not THE best quarterback to play the position. He has absolutely every single asset you could ask for, and yes, that includes good receivers. But it's not like those guys are getting their stats by dominating in one on one matchups when peyton just throws up jump balls. they aren't breaking tackles after the catch. yes, they sometimes do those things, but far more it's where they are catching the ball that makes the play.

I understand if you don't like the guy. I don't like Brady, but I still know he's a very good quarterback.

Peyton is one of the best, and would be good on any team anyone saying anything else is just a hater, he made the Colts good again.

prough91
12-10-2009, 02:33 PM
I just wish Pollard had never made that hit on Brady.

yashi
12-10-2009, 02:38 PM
I just wish Pollard had never made that hit on Brady.

I wonder how things would have played out had he not.

prough91
12-10-2009, 02:46 PM
That is an interesting what-if. If we hadn't picked anyone up, I'm guessing Croyle would have started the season until he was injured in the first 0.3 seconds of the season opener and then Thigpen would have came in.

SAPHOJUNKIE
12-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Okay, okay...let's do this right.

The Patriots - can we assume that Brady would have one at least ONE more game than cassel did as a starter? That puts them in the playoffs.

This year, Matt Cassell remains the backup in New England.

Denver - Jay Cutler is still the quarterback in denver, since mcdaniels wouldn't be trying to trade for Cassell. Would they have even hired Josh McDaniels? I would say so, considering the success of the pats offense.

Chicago - Orton remains on the bears squad, who likely use their first round pick on an offensive lineman like Michael Oher to replace their retirees. they also keep their other picks and can fill in a lot of the pieces they are missing. there is no weird Urlacher tension at the start of the year. Bears have a better record, better offensive line, and probably another defender to replace Mike Brown.

that means that my fantasy team would probably have another win or two, because Forte would have better blocking.

kansas city would have drafted Mark Sanchez with our third overall pick.

That's my take.

that, and I would have a first round bye in my fantasy league.

thanks a lot, bernard.

prough91
12-10-2009, 02:56 PM
that, and I would have a first round bye in my fantasy league.

thanks a lot, bernard.

It always comes down to people's fantasy teams. :lol:

figcrostic
12-10-2009, 03:26 PM
That is an interesting what-if. If we hadn't picked anyone up, I'm guessing Croyle would have started the season until he was injured in the first 0.3 seconds of the season opener and then Thigpen would have came in.

Thigpen was already our starter.

matthewschiefs
12-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Thigpen was already our starter.

Thigpen might have been the starter last year but the way things went I think Brodie would have won the job if we didnt have Cassle. Who nos how long Brodie would have lasted. But I think that Thigpen still would have struggled.

figcrostic
12-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Thigpen might have been the starter last year but the way things went I think Brodie would have won the job if we didnt have Cassle. Who nos how long Brodie would have lasted. But I think that Thigpen still would have struggled.

Even though Thigpen won more games, and ended up taking the job from Brodie? No I don't think so, Thigpen was our starter between him and Croyle.

yashi
12-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Well assuming we still hired Pioli and Haley (I don't see why that would have changed), Croyle surpassed Thigpen on the depth chart before the preseason started this year anyway.

marloweopatchiefs
12-10-2009, 07:44 PM
This has to be the stupidest thread i think i've ever seen posted. Go back to trent greens' first season with the chiefs..i remember getting mad becasue he kept throwing interceptions..if memory serves me right he had more interceiptions then td's his first season with kc