PDA

View Full Version : Pendergast needs to go.

honda522
12-13-2009, 09:11 PM
It is obvious, the further we go into this season, the worse the defense gets. Maybe not points wise, but YAG.

This could be worse than Gunther running the show. Maybe we should start some petitions to get him out an OC in.

This is worse than Greg Robinsons defense.

We possibly have the worst Defense in History.

Bike
12-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Our coaching is not good - from Haley on down. It was Haley that put this coaching staff together and it aint pretty. So I really don't blame Pendergast for this crap. His history spells out his capabilities. I blame Haley for bringing him here in the first place. Should be an interesting off-season.

honda522
12-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Our coaching is not good - from Haley on down. It was Haley that put this coaching staff together and it aint pretty. So I really don't blame Pendergast for this crap. His history spells out his capabilities. I blame Haley for bringing him here in the first place. Should be an interesting off-season.
Inevitably its still on Pendergast, he has control. I do blame Haley for hiring him, but pendergast is running the show on D.

i can bet you millions he will be gone after this year.

Bike
12-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Inevitably its still on Pendergast, he has control. I do blame Haley for hiring him, but pendergast is running the show on D.

i can bet you millions he will be gone after this year.
I'm not disagreeing with you. He needs to go. I'm just saying his history tells me he should had never been brought here. At the time though we had to get somebody in here and quick. Haley grabbed somebody he knew...

Vandelay
12-13-2009, 10:00 PM
He shouldn't be here. But it was such a long drawn out process with hiring a GM, then a coach, by the time all that was done it was slim pickins for a DC.
Does that make any sense?:lol:

Hayvern
12-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Our coaching flat out sucks. Pendergast was not a good choice, I would have rather had seen Haley run the defense and keep Gailey around.

Nope, some changes have to happen this offseason, I doubt Haley is given his walking shoes, and I really doubt Pendergast will be walking either, but an OC is number one on the list of must haves immediately!

kilobytes
12-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Why didn't we keep Gunther?

Hayvern
12-14-2009, 02:00 AM
Why didn't we keep Gunther?

He was not going to fit into what the Chiefs wanted to do and the new regime wanted to bring in their own people. The only reason Gailey made it as far as he did in the preseason is that they did not have time to hire a different OC.

wildcat
12-14-2009, 10:30 AM
I do not think he was originally brought in to be D-Coord. I think they were hoping to land Crennel, but when that fell through Pendergast was more or less promoted. I am hopeful that Crennel is up to joining our staff during the offseason.

yashi
12-14-2009, 10:47 AM
ALWAYS go with some position coach on a great team over a DC with a history of coaching poor defenses. Those guys would love to get a promotion. It's such an easy concept.

josh1971
12-14-2009, 03:32 PM
I do not think he was originally brought in to be D-Coord. I think they were hoping to land Crennel, but when that fell through Pendergast was more or less promoted. I am hopeful that Crennel is up to joining our staff during the offseason.

This- there was a very weird time when coaches were being hired/assembled where it seemed like the chiefs were unwilling to name a D-coordinator, and the news finally kind of oozed out that Pendergast was the coordinator.

We didn't keep Gunther because he was probably a better fit somewhere else- and it's not like our rankings on D were much better, if at all, with him running things.

We have some great, talented guys on Defense- imagine what could happen if we had good coaches there, too.

jason1981
12-14-2009, 04:18 PM
I dont think Pendergast wash Haley's 1st choice. I think he had slim pickings by the time they hired him. It should be an interesting offseason. We shall see if he gets the boot and then you will have your answer if he really wanted him as the DC.

SAPHOJUNKIE
12-14-2009, 04:54 PM
I don't blame Haley for brining in Pendergast, but I'll blame Haley if he keeps him next year.

Sorry, but if you're the worst defense in the league, you get fired. That's non-negotiable. pendergast might be an amazing coach who moves on to construct the greatest defense in history. It doesn't matter. When you're trying to change a losing culture, you have to have accountability, even with the coaches.

No, that does NOT extend to your head coach after one season. I like Haley, and I think he'll do much better, but frankly he'd be on the hot seat next year if I were in charge.

yashi
12-14-2009, 05:27 PM
I don't blame Haley for brining in Pendergast, but I'll blame Haley if he keeps him next year.

Sorry, but if you're the worst defense in the league, you get fired. That's non-negotiable. pendergast might be an amazing coach who moves on to construct the greatest defense in history. It doesn't matter. When you're trying to change a losing culture, you have to have accountability, even with the coaches.

No, that does NOT extend to your head coach after one season. I like Haley, and I think he'll do much better, but frankly he'd be on the hot seat next year if I were in charge.

I think that's fair, and hope it is the case. If this team doesn't show serious improvement next year I don't see how anyone could argue that he shouldn't be fired.

SAPHOJUNKIE
12-14-2009, 06:07 PM
He can't be judged on this year. You have to remember that during the entire college football season last year, the KC scouts were looking for players to fit into Herm and Gunther's system.

You have to give a head coach and GM at least one off season with THEIR scouts looking for THEIR players. Honestly, I think that's why we didn't make a lot of moves in the draft last year, because we weren't targeting that many people.

This year has to be a huge splash.

moonshiner
12-14-2009, 06:53 PM
There will no doubt be some very qualified ex head coachs out there with DC credentials for next year . Romeo Crennel, Lovie Smilth just to name 2

kilobytes
12-14-2009, 07:26 PM
We keep setting ourselves back a year every time we hire or fire a coach or coordinator.

Big Daddy Tek
12-14-2009, 10:43 PM
I dont think Pendergast wash Haley's 1st choice. I think he had slim pickings by the time they hired him. It should be an interesting offseason. We shall see if he gets the boot and then you will have your answer if he really wanted him as the DC.

This is exactly what happened and yes, he will get the boot. By the time Haley was hired there was almost no coaches available.

Hayvern
12-15-2009, 02:49 AM
We keep setting ourselves back a year every time we hire or fire a coach or coordinator.

A good coordinator can come in and make an immediate impact on a team. It does not take a year for them to come up to speed. Usually pre-season and training camp is where the offensive and defensive schemes are learned, and the season is just fine-tuning those ideas.

A bad coordinator can have a profound impact for more than one season though. In our case, it will depend on what we can bring in to help out.

matthewschiefs
12-15-2009, 10:52 AM

Fireing a Head coach yes that will set you back at least a year if not more. Coordinators if you upgrade then thats not going to set you back.

yashi
12-15-2009, 11:45 AM
The Broncos hired Mike Nolan as their DC and instantly went from a bad defense to one of the top.

brish
12-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah I haven't been too impressed with him either, or Tim Krumrie for that matter..
We need a teacher to teach Jackson, Dorsey and whoever we hopefully get to play the nose with Edwards.

We definately have more talent on the Defensive side, than what the stats say.. So it must be either the system or the coaching.. Or both..