PDA

View Full Version : Careful what you ask for!! hahaha

Connie Jo
12-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Merry belated Christmas to all here at Chiefs Crowd! I hope each of you and your loved ones had a wonderful Christmas, and that Santa brought you what you asked him for! HO! HO! HO!

Another Christmas bites the dust, in the blink of an eye it seemed, and this one was sure different for me. Whatcha wanna bet I can blink 3 times and it will be Christmas 2010? The time sure passes by quickly!

We had a snow storm that began here early last week, that created much havoc with 40-50 mph winds blowing snow causing high drifting, blocking many roads, trapping many in their homes...of which I was one of!

Living in the rural country can be beautiful, especially when it snows, and I often wish for a White Christmas...well, I learned my lesson, and don't think I'll wish for another White Christmas again! hahaha Both snowfalls we've had this month have isolated me from civilization, and can affect my being on line also...due to my using a satellite.

The county cleared my road quickly, but the problem was my long drive and a 6' tall snowdrift behind my garage doors. I couldn't get passed the drift blocking my garage, not even in my 4 wheel drive truck, until yesterday. Each day I shoveled snow from behind the garage, & finally removed enough I could make it through the drift in 4 wheel drive low. I'm FREE! haha

My son & his wife live 4 miles away, but in a different county, and they were trapped until Saturday, so weren't able to be here at my house for Christmas Dinner. It was the first time in my son's 32 yrs we've not spent Christmas together. Of course it was my first Christmas since divorcing also, so that made it different for me too.

Fortunately, my daughter and her family weren't trapped even with living 30 miles away, and were able to make it to my house safely for Christmas, but couldnt' pull far into my drive. I was grateful not to have to spend Christmas alone without family!

They were all here yesterday to watch the Chiefs/Bengals game with me too, which was nice...made up for us not being together Christmas. Would've been nicer if the Chiefs had won, however.

Anyway...I wish each of you a Happy New Year, filled with many blessings! I also wish for NO MORE SNOW in 2009 or the remaining winter in 2010! hahaha

Chiefster
12-28-2009, 10:20 AM
God Bless ya Connie Jo! You are truly a breath of fresh air around here! I'm glad you had a Merry Christmas with Family and hope you have a Happy, and safe, New Year!

N TX Dave
12-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Well not being in a rural did not stop people from getting around. We had a white Christmas in Dallas for the first time in 83 years that's before my time even. My son and family did not plan to make it this year from SC but my daughter and her husband did they were coming over Christmas Eve and have dinner (roast beef, mashed potatoes and yorkshire pudding an English dinner). It started snowing Christmas Eve day my daughter came straight over from work which she left about 2:00, my son-in-law had to go home and pick up the dogs started over from their house across town at 6:00PM and never made it. He got about a mile from their house and ended up in a ditch, got towed out and spun out 2 more times before getting home (aren't rear wheel drive pickups fun in snow and ice?). So it ended up just being My wife, daughter and I until afternoon when my S-I-L made it.

We were at least able to get a video call up to SC to watch the grand kids open all their presents this is the first year in 7 that we were not with the grand kids.

One good thing for the first time in 40 years my wife let us open our presents on Christmas Eve woo hoo seeing how we could not go to Church I had to wait 62 years before I finally got to open presents on Christmas Eve.

honda522
12-28-2009, 12:14 PM
You should of seen the snow drifts here. 7+. My dad got my moms truck stuck.

Connie Jo
12-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Well not being in a rural did not stop people from getting around. We had a white Christmas in Dallas for the first time in 83 years that's before my time even. My son and family did not plan to make it this year from SC but my daughter and her husband did they were coming over Christmas Eve and have dinner (roast beef, mashed potatoes and yorkshire pudding an English dinner). It started snowing Christmas Eve day my daughter came straight over from work which she left about 2:00, my son-in-law had to go home and pick up the dogs started over from their house across town at 6:00PM and never made it. He got about a mile from their house and ended up in a ditch, got towed out and spun out 2 more times before getting home (aren't rear wheel drive pickups fun in snow and ice?). So it ended up just being My wife, daughter and I until afternoon when my S-I-L made it.

We were at least able to get a video call up to SC to watch the grand kids open all their presents this is the first year in 7 that we were not with the grand kids.

One good thing for the first time in 40 years my wife let us open our presents on Christmas Eve woo hoo seeing how we could not go to Church I had to wait 62 years before I finally got to open presents on Christmas Eve.

I'm part Welsh, my great grandpa was full Welsh, came to the US with his mom when he was 7. I learned many English traditions from him, and am grateful for each. I have his mom's, my gr-gr-grandma's teapot, of which was likely her most treasured possession. They said she never missed her afternoon tea, not even when aboard the ship coming to America, haha. They tell me I have her "spunk" too, hahaha.

I'm so happy you were able to see your grandkids open gifts...technology is a blessing connecting us with loved ones & sharing priceless memories for sure! I'm also relieved to read your SIL was okay! I have a couple friends in the Dallas area, and was aware you all had a rare White Christmas. The same storm that hit us, hit you.

Connie Jo
12-28-2009, 01:17 PM
God Bless ya Connie Jo! You are truly a breath of fresh air around here! I'm glad you had a Merry Christmas with Family and hope you have a Happy, and safe, New Year!

Same to you Chiefster, and most definitely you are a valuable asset to Chiefs Crowd in mulitple ways, including as a Mod! You certainly have the diplomatic well natured personality for it! I respect what you do for us all! :)

Connie Jo
12-28-2009, 01:22 PM
You should of seen the snow drifts here. 7+. My dad got my moms truck stuck.

Yeah, we had much higher drifts here too, other than my 6' ones blocking my garage & drive. My son claimed some on his road were 12', but he might have been exaggerating a bit too, haha...not sure, as their road was cleared by the time I saw it.

Heck, for years we barely had snow like we did years ago, now this year the first two are major! The first one, the week after the Donkey's game 12/6...we had 16" of snow! I think my kids were babies the last time we had that much snow!

Chiefster
12-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Same to you Chiefster, and most definitely you are a valuable asset to Chiefs Crowd in mulitple ways, including as a Mod! You certainly have the diplomatic well natured personality for it! I respect what you do for us all! :)

Thanks Connie; much appreciated kiddo! :bananen_smilies046:

N TX Dave
12-28-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm part Welsh, my great grandpa was full Welsh, came to the US with his mom when he was 7. I learned many English traditions from him, and am grateful for each. I have his mom's, my gr-gr-grandma's teapot, of which was likely her most treasured possession. They said she never missed her afternoon tea, not even when aboard the ship coming to America, haha. They tell me I have her "spunk" too, hahaha.

I'm so happy you were able to see your grandkids open gifts...technology is a blessing connecting us with loved ones & sharing priceless memories for sure! I'm also relieved to read your SIL was okay! I have a couple friends in the Dallas area, and was aware you all had a rare White Christmas. The same storm that hit us, hit you.

Well my wife was born in England and moved to Canada when she was 6 then to California when she was 16 so she has her tea also even when it is over 100 down here in the summer. Her mom was born in Edinburgh Scotland and her dad was born in Backup England they both live in Oakland area. My wife can even make scones which you must use a real china tea cup to make. My wife has some of her grandmothers china that was bought while stationed in South Africa her grandfather was in the Black Watch for 30 years.

Connie Jo
12-29-2009, 12:53 AM
Well my wife was born in England and moved to Canada when she was 6 then to California when she was 16 so she has her tea also even when it is over 100 down here in the summer. Her mom was born in Edinburgh Scotland and her dad was born in Backup England they both live in Oakland area. My wife can even make scones which you must use a real china tea cup to make. My wife has some of her grandmothers china that was bought while stationed in South Africa her grandfather was in the Black Watch for 30 years.

I make scones too! I can't make true Devonshire Cream to go along with scones, however, haha. I eat mine with butter and jam. Sometimes I make plain, other times I add currants.

In the 1980's I combined two passions and careers. My original career was in Period Interior Design & Restoration, focusing on Victorian homes (built in America during the reign of Queen Victoria). I've loved Victorian Architecture since I was a little girl. I had a second passion with baking, and also owned a bakery.

In 1985 I bought a 100 yr old run down Victorian. I put my bakery in the management hands of a friend/employee's, stopped accepting clients related to my design career...and focused my efforts daily for the next 3 yrs working on the Victorian's restoration myself, with occasional help from my husband on weekends and two local neighbor boy's I hired as second hands.

In 1988, I opened the restored Victorian to the public, as an English Tearoom. I served traditional lunches daily, and dinner during holiday months, but the main focus was providing the service of a true English Afternoon Tea. Scones were made from scratch daily, as well as teacakes, breads, etc.. Also served loose leaf tea's, complete with silver strainers similar to that used by my gr-gr-grandma, staying true to English tradition.

My tearoom was an original concept in the Midwest at the time, a first, and became very successful, too successful (yep, for some there is such a thing as too successful, haha). I also catered many weddings held in the gardens Gazebo. I closed my bakery, and brought my bakery employees to the Tearoom to help.

After 12 yrs of burning candles at both ends with the unexpected success of my Tearoom, I made the decision to close it, focus on family, and make the Victorian simply our family home. My daughter was also marrying, and wanted the wedding to be held in the gardens of our Victorian, of which became my priority for her benefit.

Three yrs later our son moved out...and we made the decision to sell the Victorian, build a more feasible home in the country on 80 acres...an empty nester more suitable to lifestyle change that comes with age...that was almost 12 yrs ago, and is where I continue to live now.

AussieChiefsFan
12-29-2009, 04:05 AM
Merry belated Christmas to all here at Chiefs Crowd! I hope each of you and your loved ones had a wonderful Christmas, and that Santa brought you what you asked him for! HO! HO! HO!

Another Christmas bites the dust, in the blink of an eye it seemed, and this one was sure different for me. Whatcha wanna bet I can blink 3 times and it will be Christmas 2010? The time sure passes by quickly!

We had a snow storm that began here early last week, that created much havoc with 40-50 mph winds blowing snow causing high drifting, blocking many roads, trapping many in their homes...of which I was one of!

Living in the rural country can be beautiful, especially when it snows, and I often wish for a White Christmas...well, I learned my lesson, and don't think I'll wish for another White Christmas again! hahaha Both snowfalls we've had this month have isolated me from civilization, and can affect my being on line also...due to my using a satellite.

The county cleared my road quickly, but the problem was my long drive and a 6' tall snowdrift behind my garage doors. I couldn't get passed the drift blocking my garage, not even in my 4 wheel drive truck, until yesterday. Each day I shoveled snow from behind the garage, & finally removed enough I could make it through the drift in 4 wheel drive low. I'm FREE! haha

My son & his wife live 4 miles away, but in a different county, and they were trapped until Saturday, so weren't able to be here at my house for Christmas Dinner. It was the first time in my son's 32 yrs we've not spent Christmas together. Of course it was my first Christmas since divorcing also, so that made it different for me too.

Fortunately, my daughter and her family weren't trapped even with living 30 miles away, and were able to make it to my house safely for Christmas, but couldnt' pull far into my drive. I was grateful not to have to spend Christmas alone without family!

They were all here yesterday to watch the Chiefs/Bengals game with me too, which was nice...made up for us not being together Christmas. Would've been nicer if the Chiefs had won, however.

Anyway...I wish each of you a Happy New Year, filled with many blessings! I also wish for NO MORE SNOW in 2009 or the remaining winter in 2010! hahaha

Time sure does pass quickly....