PDA

View Full Version : The Offensive Line

jap1
12-28-2009, 07:10 PM
How bad has the offensive line been the second half of the season.

From the stats it seems like they are doing much better. Cassel has fewer sacks and J. Charles is getting some big runs.

I havent been able to see the games in the second half of the season. Has the OL gotten better, or is the team working around the bad OL. Im sure they are not leaps and bounds better, but it seems like they have shored up some of the big holes.

I almost wonder if we need to revamp the whole OL?

kilobytes
12-28-2009, 07:30 PM
The run blocking is still bad. We have been very unsuccessful running anything up the middle. I can count maybe 3 successful plays up the middle getting any yards. The other RB's have sucked very badly. Only someone with the speed of Charles can do anything with the O line.

Now the pass blocking has been better. Much more time to throw and fewer sacks.

I would still draft an O lineman early. At least 2.

honda522
12-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Better, but we are still going to fix it.

Hayvern
12-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I think Cassel is doing a better job of getting rid of the ball. He is throwing the ball sooner, but it is also leading to some interceptions because he is not taking the time he needs to get rid of the ball more on target.

Eydugstr
12-28-2009, 09:24 PM

From the stats it seems like they are doing much better. Cassel has fewer sacks and J. Charles is getting some big runs.

I havent been able to see the games in the second half of the season. Has the OL gotten better, or is the team working around the bad OL. Im sure they are not leaps and bounds better, but it seems like they have shored up some of the big holes.

Hell, yes. The O-line needs serious work, from top to bottom. Peterson let then line go to pot when Herm started coaching, and Herm REALLY messed things up when he moved Mike Solari from being the line coach to offensive cooridinator. No real effort was made to replace Roaf, Shields or Tait when they left or retired.

matthewschiefs
12-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Its been better but still needs improvement

texaschief
12-29-2009, 01:30 AM
I'm pretty sure you're going to see a new center at the VERY LEAST. Albert will probably stay on the left side and you'll see the Chiefs try to find a new center with one of the second round picks and a RT with the 3rd rounder. At least, that's what I would try to do. I'd also be looking for another guard... perhaps moving Niswanger over.

I think you'll see defensive picks with our first two picks.

AussieChiefsFan
12-29-2009, 03:56 AM
The run blocking is still bad. We have been very unsuccessful running anything up the middle. I can count maybe 3 successful plays up the middle getting any yards. The other RB's have sucked very badly. Only someone with the speed of Charles can do anything with the O line.

Now the pass blocking has been better. Much more time to throw and fewer sacks.

I would still draft an O lineman early. At least 2.

Perfectly said!

jason1981
12-29-2009, 03:47 PM
dont forget about the rookie we drafted that has yet to play. he went to IR before the season. i think his name was collin brown. but i might be wrong. dont know if he is any good. Hope he's atleast an upgrade. Does anyone know anyhting about his play? would Neiswinger be better at tackle than center? Is he quick enough?

figcrostic
12-29-2009, 04:54 PM

The offensive line is not good, but Cassel holds onto the ball too long as well, so it makes them look even worse.

Chiefster
12-29-2009, 05:01 PM
It is doing a little bit better, but still "offensive". :D

tenacious
12-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Russell Okung........you heard it here first.

Chiefster
12-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Russell Okung........you heard it here first.

I may have read it here first, but quite honestly I have never heard you say anything. :D

pbatrucker
12-29-2009, 06:13 PM
dont forget about the rookie we drafted that has yet to play. he went to IR before the season. i think his name was collin brown. but i might be wrong. dont know if he is any good. Hope he's atleast an upgrade. Does anyone know anyhting about his play? would Neiswinger be better at tackle than center? Is he quick enough?
Colin Brown was trying to play OG b4 going on IR. We'll have to wait until next years OTA's to find out the results.
Niswanger might be able to play OG, but he is not an OT.

brish
12-29-2009, 08:42 PM
I think Charles has something to do with this aswell..
His abilities have suddenly given us a rushing threat, so now they can't just play the pass every single time.
The run blocking is still not very good, most of the time its all Charles tbh.
We still need some upgrades on the oline!

Hayvern
12-30-2009, 12:31 AM
I am thinking we are two seasons away from getting the line in gear. Waters will be leaving soon as well and we are going to need to address that as well.

Free Agency? I don't know, there is not much out there and honestly, offensive lineman tend to not move too much. They don't get a lot of praise, but they are clearly a valued commodity and when you get a good one, they tend to stay put for a while.

jason1981
12-30-2009, 12:43 AM
well there might not be much in Free agency but there have to be upgrades to what we have./

chief31
12-30-2009, 06:23 PM
well there might not be much in Free agency but there have to be upgrades to what we have./

Well, just grabbing whatever garbage may be available, and thinking that they can't be any worse than what we have is exactly what we have been doing for a few years now.

"Anything would be better than Kevin Sampson." NOT!

"Anything would be better than Damien Mcintosh." NOT!

"Anything would be better than Kyle Turley." NOT!

"Anything would be better than John Welbourne." NOT!

We need to quit trying to replace smelly turds with smelly turds.

If you want any quality form free agency, then you have to pay big. Thats just how the o-line market is. (With rare exceptions.)

Albert should have been at ROG this season. He should have been there last season.

But since he has spent the past two seasons at LOT, he may now be best served by giving him another season to make his mark at LOT.

So, between the 2nd and 3rd rounds of this draft, I think we will try to fill the C and ROT spots with young talent. (I prefer to get a LOT and move BA to RG, but...)

That leaves us with two other picks, within the first three rounds, to try and address other needs. Including a very early first round pick.

I would be ok with getting a Safety in the first, and aiming for a NT in the second/third.

But I would also look into getting some o-line help through free agency. Always wise to cover your a** when taking risks on young draft picks as starters.

kcred
12-30-2009, 06:30 PM
A deep threat at wide out would make defenses respect vthe pass. A fast wide out has to be found this off season

chief31
12-30-2009, 07:11 PM
A deep threat at wide out would make defenses respect vthe pass. A fast wide out has to be found this off season

Bottom of my priority list. I like the WRs we have now. So long as we keep them.

pbatrucker
12-31-2009, 03:03 AM
Well we do need a WR in this draft, but he better be a KR as well. I like Shipley or Jacoby Ford.

KottkeKU
01-01-2010, 02:30 PM
I would be happy taking R.Okung. He is supposed to be a bada$$ and Suh, Berry are getting all the hype. if both Berry and Okung are there, who do you take? I would go Berry personally, but that is just one mans opinion and you could make a fine argument for Okung.

There is another tackle that is supposed to be just as good as Okung too. (hoping we can trade out of no.3 and pick up said tackle mid 1st while adding another 3rd rounder from the trade.)

One thing i know is that Pioli trades just as much if not more than any other team around the draft, and i am sure this year will be no exception since it seems we have lots of options this time around. I just hope we get some upgrades along the line.

and Colin Brown is from Mizzou, so im sure he will blow :)

loyalchief91
01-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Another WR threat would be nice