PDA

View Full Version : Colts fans

honda522
12-29-2009, 12:09 PM
They are irate that Manning and Co. was benched. But why would you be made? You have secured a playoff spot, your are the Number 1 seed.

So the choice would for Colts fans is...

Go 16-0?

Or win the Superbowl?

I don't see the big deal. They are the Colts, one of the best teams in the leauge. They don't need to win every game.

Chief Tyler
12-29-2009, 01:30 PM
They are irate that Manning and Co. was benched. But why would you be made? You have secured a playoff spot, your are the Number 1 seed.

Go 16-0?

Or win the Superbowl?

I don't see the big deal. They are the Colts, one of the best teams in the leauge. They don't need to win every game.

I coulda sworn I heard them booing towards the end of the game, pretty close to when the jets made it a two score game. 23 regular season wins in a row and you still boo your team.

Pathetic.

Canada
12-29-2009, 01:51 PM

Go 16-0?

Or win the Superbowl?

Why not try for both? Personaly I would be pissed off if I paid full price for a ticket to a game only to watch them half as$ it. I dont agree with the booing, but like Herm said
YouTube- Herm Edwards- Greatest Coach Ever!

Connie Jo
12-29-2009, 06:42 PM
This is indeed a controversial issue, and a tough call for a coach to make, as well as for the players I would imagine.

Personally, I would've played the game out with my starters. I understand why teams don't when they've clinched their division, and playoff spot...BUT:

The Colt's have already won a SB, and have the potential to win another...not just this season, but at least a couple more or so, as long as they keep their team together & healthy of course.

The opportunity for a Super Bowl comes around annually...the opportunity for an undefeated historic regular season rarely come's along...obviously, since only two teams have done it in the history of the NFL, only one, Miami, going undefeated through playoffs & SB.

From my point of view as an NFL fan, I believe it was a bit unfair to all fans of the NFL, not just the Colt fans. It would've been an awesome thing to tell kids & grandkids about someday...that one witnessed a historic undefeated season in the NFL. I've been watching the last few Colt's games, hoping I was watching a NFL history in the making.

I was 17 when Miami did it, and my focus the entire year of 1972 was on studying, and graduating from high school a yr early, marrying in the Fall of 1972, etc.. not football. I don't even remember the news coverage of it, nothing.

I would've liked to have at least known...if the Colt's could've done it. Now as an NFL fan, I'll never know...neither will any one else...including the Colts fan's, player's & coaches. I would think it will haunt them for the rest of their career's & lives...could we have went undefeated if we had tried? It would haunt me if I was one of them.

Chiefster
12-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Nicely put Connie!

honda522
12-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Why not try for both? Personaly I would be pissed off if I paid full price for a ticket to a game only to watch them half as$ it. I dont agree with the booing, but like Herm said
YouTube- Herm Edwards- Greatest Coach Ever! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I)
There intent was too win, without their starters.

They didn't lose on purpose. Indy fans have it good. Good team, good coach, good players. They should be lucky they don't have to root for a team like the Chiefs were there is almost no bright spots.

Connie Jo
12-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Well...sometimes we take for granted what we have, especially when we have too much of it. Indy fans have had much to be happy about for a while now, including going to and winning a Super Bowl. Even during our Chiefs winning seasons we didn't have that.

Indy fans have become complacent to winning, Pat's fan's did too, and fan's of other teams who have had more than their fair share of winning seasons and Super Bowls. When that happens, & the opportunity arises, one begins to want what they don't have more intensely...and what most teams don't have...an undefeated season.

They've accomplished everything else, and recent. The fan's became more and more amped up with each week's win, and one more victory towards an accomplishment of pride and history they didn't have.

I remember what it felt like the year the Chiefs went 9-0...hoping against hope that possibly we too could go undefeated. I remember the intensity building each week as our wins grew and loses stayed at 0. Heck, if we had gotten as close as Indy did...I can only imagine the intensity level of disappointment. The booing was simply disappointment, the emotional reaction of being let down after weeks of anticipation and being built up.

Some players have said when asked, that an undefeated season is a greater accomplishment than winning a Super Bowl.

I dunno if Indy intended to win or not. I do know that coaches and players have said the pressure on them builds each week they become closer to an undefeated season, so maybe they decided they would lose at some point due to that pressure, and wanted to relieve it, prior to playoffs.

Still...I would've went for the undefeated season!

Connie Jo
12-29-2009, 11:57 PM
I received a message from a friend, who is a Colt's fan that live's near Indy...he was very upset. He doesn't mind my sharing with y'all, so below is a bit of what he has to say, that might give an insight as to how a diehard loyal Colt's fan views this controversial subject.

I want to add, of which he doesn't mind...he's been battling Cancer for the last 4 yrs...so for him, that put's a bit of a different perspective on the Colt's decision as well.

Hey Connie Jo, Well, I'm not really happy about the Colts decision but am over it now, I doubt that I see too many of the records that they have already broken be broken in my lifetime , even if I live to be 100...I'm sure that you can imagine the sick feeling of watching the backup qb come in the game and fumble in his first series...at the goal line.....with only a 5 point lead and seeing a perfect season go down the drain. I cannot say that I agree, in 10 years I bet that we will be able to name the 2 teams{as I feel it will probably be} that have been undefeated but will not be able to name the super bowl winners.....oh well, it's a game, I'm alive....and it moves on!

AussieChiefsFan
12-30-2009, 01:12 AM
I coulda sworn I heard them booing towards the end of the game, pretty close to when the jets made it a two score game. 23 regular season wins in a row and you still boo your team.

Pathetic.

Pretty.

Canada
12-30-2009, 10:31 AM
There intent was too win, without their starters.

They didn't lose on purpose. Indy fans have it good. Good team, good coach, good players. They should be lucky they don't have to root for a team like the Chiefs were there is almost no bright spots.

If your intent is to win then you play your starters. If this was a game that they had to win to make the playoffs do you think they would put their second QB in?

honda522
12-30-2009, 12:04 PM
If your intent is to win then you play your starters. If this was a game that they had to win to make the playoffs do you think they would put their second QB in?
But its not a have to win game. Its probably better that they lost, as there won't be the tension to get to 16-0.
There is a reason why the Pats lost the superbowl back in the day.

Can you imagine if they would of lost with starters what the crowd would been like.

KristofLaw
12-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Despite being glad that they lost, I do recognize how special it would have been for the fans and the sport in general for the Colts or the Saints to go undefeated in the regular season at least. Now the goal is to win the Superbowl, but only one team can do it and who knows if the coaches/owners are right in taking a feat away from their franchise by resting players..... nevertheless I would be proud of the Chiefs to go undefeated, just sayin'. ::mytwocents::

Canada
12-30-2009, 01:05 PM
But its not a have to win game. Its probably better that they lost, as there won't be the tension to get to 16-0.

Can you imagine if they would of lost with starters what the crowd would been like.

Oh I see. I didn't know you couldnt win the SuperBowl if you had a 16-0 season.

If you are playing to win the game then you play your starters. Otherwise you are playing to stay healthy and if you win then its a bonus.

matthewschiefs
12-30-2009, 01:43 PM

I think that it added alot of pressure on them but I dont think going 16-0 is ever a bad thing for your team I would not mind seeing the Chiefs go 16-0. They still have alot of chances to win that game the giants just were the better team on that day.

honda522
12-30-2009, 07:32 PM

If you are playing to win the game then you play your starters. Otherwise you are playing to stay healthy and if you win then its a bonus.
They didn't help themselves not resting some of their starters. 19 games can take its toll on a person.

Why are you defending this Canada? You must love the Colts. :lol:

chief31
12-30-2009, 07:42 PM
YouTube- Herm Edwards- Greatest Coach Ever! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I)

You hide it pretty well when it comes to your adtual team half-assing it. :lol:

Then don't play to win a game that doesn't mean a damn thing.

I love that they were big enough to treat this game like that.

They will never get to play against the '72 Dolphins. So no need to try and prove anything with them.

And they will never get to play the '07 Patriots. So the same goes.

Play your starters enough to keep them in playing form, but the outcome of the game is irrelevant to the teams actual goal. (Superbowl.)

By raising the possibilty of having your best players injured, you decrease your chances of winning The Superbowl.

Priorities.

Canada
12-30-2009, 10:39 PM
They didn't help themselves not resting some of their starters. 19 games can take its toll on a person.

Why are you defending this Canada? You must love the Colts. :lol:

Nope, just seeing the side of why a fan might have been upset about what happened on Sunday. I don't really care about 16-0 for anyone but the Chiefs.

You hide it pretty well when it comes to your adtual team half-assing it. :lol:

Then don't play to win a game that doesn't mean a damn thing.

I love that they were big enough to treat this game like that.

They will never get to play against the '72 Dolphins. So no need to try and prove anything with them.

And they will never get to play the '07 Patriots. So the same goes.

Play your starters enough to keep them in playing form, but the outcome of the game is irrelevant to the teams actual goal. (Superbowl.)

By raising the possibilty of having your best players injured, you decrease your chances of winning The Superbowl.

Priorities.

I know why they did it. I watched a football game once. Isn't this thread about fans being upset? How does any of this explain why fans are pissed?

chief31
12-31-2009, 01:43 AM
Nope, just seeing the side of why a fan might have been upset about what happened on Sunday. I don't really care about 16-0 for anyone but the Chiefs.

I know why they did it. I watched a football game once. Isn't this thread about fans being upset? How does any of this explain why fans are pissed?

The point was that a Colts fan being upset about that is an irrational fan.

Your team is currently 14-1, having already secured homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. There is nothing to be upset about.

Canada
12-31-2009, 10:47 AM
The point was that a Colts fan being upset about that is an irrational fan.

Your team is currently 14-1, having already secured homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. There is nothing to be upset about.

Im talkin about the guy that would be upset about paying a lot of money to go to a game to see all the Colts starters and then seeing a bunch of scrubs throw up a loss after 14-0 start

chief31
01-01-2010, 03:21 AM
Im talkin about the guy that would be upset about paying a lot of money to go to a game to see all the Colts starters and then seeing a bunch of scrubs throw up a loss after 14-0 start

Then I have a very low opinion of him, as a fan. If he would rather see his team play the starters, than do what was best for their chances of a Super Bowl victory, then maybe he was a Jets fan?

As far as I am concerned, 16-0 means nothing, unless another team in your conference finishes at 15-1, or 16-0.

So the outcome of the game is meaningless. If the game is meaningless, and my team has playoffs coming up, then please minimize the risk of losing our best players to injuy.

What I liked best about that decision is that The Colts basically told the '72 Dolphins that they weren't even worth the effort. And they aren't.

Canada
01-01-2010, 01:25 PM
First question of this thread.

They are irate that Manning and Co. was benched. But why would you be mad?

I just answered the question. I don't know what u r disagreeing with.

chief31
01-01-2010, 03:47 PM
First question of this thread.

They are irate that Manning and Co. was benched. But why would you be mad?

I just answered the question. I don't know what u r disagreeing with.

Oh. Gotcha. Sort of a "devil's advocate" thing.

Like if someone asked "why would someone rub cat poop in their eye?" and you are just saying "maybe their eye itched." :D

kilobytes
01-07-2010, 02:55 AM
I'm sure a lot of us would act the same way. Any team's fan base would.

Chiefster
01-07-2010, 11:27 AM
I love this thread. :lol: