PDA

View Full Version : I had to euthanize a fish.

luv
09-05-2007, 02:51 PM
I have a tank with three African Cichlids. One of which I acquire after the ice storm in January. Anyway, I cleaned the tank a few days ago, and I've notice that one of my fish had been swimming near the top sticking it's mouth out of the water. I knew something must've been wrong, but decided to wait it out. Last night, upon heading to bed, I noticed that said fish was floating along the bottom of the tank nearly on it's side. It was still alive, but it didn't appear that he would survive much longer. It's not good for the other fish to have a diseased or dead fish in the water. It looked like it's side was bleeding from where the other fish were picking at it (Africans are very aggressive). I decided to put it out of its misery, so I scooped it out of the tank and held it there until it stopped moving. This was one of my original fish that I've had for a few years. Standing there, I actually started to cry a little as I watched it suffocate. That's right. I cried over a dying fish....lol. I'm such a chick!

Coach
09-05-2007, 03:17 PM
You could have flushed it instead of suffocating it.

luv
09-05-2007, 03:19 PM
You could have flushed it instead of suffocating it.
It had already suffered long enough. I thought it would die faster that way.

swmochiefsfan
09-05-2007, 05:17 PM
had to flush my kids goldfish the other day, they cried.

carlfromcali
09-05-2007, 05:31 PM
You should of put a hook in it and caught a larger pet.

:naughty:

luv
09-05-2007, 09:27 PM
You should of put a hook in it and caught a larger pet.

:naughty:
I'm sure I could catch a cat. You want to pay the $200 pet deposit and extra $25/month rent?

rbedgood
09-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Cats aren't keepers...you throw those back.

stlchief
09-05-2007, 11:21 PM
We had one that was headed downhill fast and I looked a lot online for the most humane way to euthanize a fish. Flushing is bad. The one I found the most often was to place some liquor in the freezer and then deposit the fish in the glass after it has been in there awhile. I'm sure there are lots of good jokes in there, but I tried it. I hope the alchohol helped because it still wasn't quick. :(

Coach
09-05-2007, 11:45 PM
We had one that was headed downhill fast and I looked a lot online for the most humane way to euthanize a fish. Flushing is bad. The one I found the most often was to place some liquor in the freezer and then deposit the fish in the glass after it has been in there awhile. I'm sure there are lots of good jokes in there, but I tried it. I hope the alchohol helped because it still wasn't quick. :(

Why is flushing it bad?

rbedgood
09-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Why is flushing it bad?

It's a crappy way to die...

rbedgood
09-05-2007, 11:53 PM
I'm sorry I couldn't resist that last one...I actually don't know, but I'd guess that they don't die quickly and humanely.

stlchief
09-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Why is flushing it bad?

from: http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?Story_No=1885

What are not acceptable methods of killing fish? Top (http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?Story_No=1885#Top)
Flushing fish down the toilet into the sewerage system causes slow death by exposure to toxic chemicals and water conditions.

Chiefster
09-06-2007, 01:30 AM
It's a crappy way to die...

:lol::lol:

Zing!
Rep!

Chiefster
09-06-2007, 01:31 AM
Hey luv I know how ya feel; that's why I got a dog. :D

luv
09-06-2007, 03:16 PM
I just held him in the net until he stopped moving. It took a couple of minutes and he flopped a few times. It was the quickest way I knew of besides putting him on the counter and chopping his head off or something (no way could I have done that).

Canada
09-06-2007, 03:24 PM
step on it!!

swmochiefsfan
09-06-2007, 04:24 PM
step on it!!

:funnypost:

Chiefster
09-06-2007, 11:32 PM
step on it!!

Yeah, but then you have to watch where you step next.

tornadospotter
09-06-2007, 11:45 PM
from: http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?Story_No=1885

What are not acceptable methods of killing fish? Top (http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?Story_No=1885#Top)
Flushing fish down the toilet into the sewerage system causes slow death by exposure to toxic chemicals and water conditions.
Or it lives and comes out into the world with huge claws and teeth and, and, and. Better to step on it and save us all from revenge of the mutant pet fish.:lol: :beer:

Chiefster
09-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Or it lives and comes out into the world with huge claws and teeth and, and, and. Better to step on it and save us all from revenge of the mutant pet fish.:lol: :beer:

Heh! :lol:

luv
09-07-2007, 01:53 AM
The next time I went to the bathroom, I looked in the toilet to make sure he hadn't come back up...lol.

rbedgood
09-07-2007, 02:04 AM
The next time I went to the bathroom, I looked in the toilet to make sure he hadn't come back up...lol.

Mutant pet fish are scared of the light...they only come up when someone is sitting on the pot....:skull:

luv
09-07-2007, 02:21 AM
Mutant pet fish are scared of the light...they only come up when someone is sitting on the pot....:skull:
Is that hat that tickling feeling was?

sling58
09-07-2007, 07:25 AM
You might want to take the water in your tank to the local pet store and see if the water is balanced. I have 12 African Cics and I have to check my water all the time. that one fish might be a sign of your tank crashing.

Chiefster
09-07-2007, 11:27 AM

Oh man; this just goes way beyond comment. :lol:

chief31
09-07-2007, 11:29 AM

I'm not going to do it. It's too easy and I refuse.

sling58
09-07-2007, 11:43 AM

LUV, C'MON NOW!!!!! You walked into this!

luv
09-07-2007, 12:16 PM
You might want to take the water in your tank to the local pet store and see if the water is balanced. I have 12 African Cics and I have to check my water all the time. that one fish might be a sign of your tank crashing.
I had just siphoned the rocks and cleaned it. I didn't take my fish out. I never have, actually, but they've always done just fine when I did that. Of course, I have had a problem with Plecos dying on me.

chief31
09-07-2007, 12:19 PM
I had just siphoned the rocks and cleaned it. I didn't take my fish out. I never have, actually, but they've always done just fine when I did that. Of course, I have had a problem with Plecos dying on me.

Well, maybe if you quit taking them out of the water and hanging them there to die, they might live longer.

sling58
09-07-2007, 12:20 PM

Those tend to die. I would get your water tested. You just did a water change and there might be too much pH in your water. It's best to do it now before they all die. Also don't put any kind of algae eater in with Cics. They are like Chiefs and Faders, natural enemies. The Algea eaters will always die or get eaten.

Chiefster
09-07-2007, 12:23 PM
I used to have about five gold fish, and they all died.

That is all.

sling58
09-07-2007, 12:26 PM

That is all.

I had one once......I won him at a fair at school....I named him Chuck......Mom put him in a bowl of hot water....he died.....I had fish sticks for dinner!!!

luv
09-07-2007, 12:27 PM

That is all.
Were they in a bowl, or did you hae them in a tank with proper filtration?

Canada
09-07-2007, 12:31 PM
I ate a goldfish once...i think it drowned in the beer i had in my belly!! :) ....but what a great way to go...drowning is a sea of beer!!

sling58
09-07-2007, 12:33 PM
I ate a goldfish once...i think it drowned in the beer i had in my belly!! :) ....but what a great way to go...drowning is a sea of beer!!

How am I not surprised?

rbedgood
09-07-2007, 12:36 PM
He looks like a baby. I'm gonna eat ya. Get in my belly. I'm higher in the food chain. I've got corn in my crap bigger than you...Fat ******* (Austin Powers: Goldmember)

Canada
09-07-2007, 12:38 PM
He looks like a baby. I'm gonna eat ya. Get in my belly. I'm higher in the food chain. I've got corn in my crap bigger than you...Fat ******* (Austin Powers: Goldmember)

:lol: :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
09-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Were they in a bowl, or did you hae them in a tank with proper filtration?

Both..

Chiefster
09-07-2007, 12:40 PM
I had one once......I won him at a fair at school....I named him Chuck......Mom put him in a bowl of hot water....he died.....I had fish sticks for dinner!!!

:lol::lol:

rbedgood
09-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Both..

Well when you chop them in half and put them in 2 different places the survival rate will drop...

Chiefster
09-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Well when you chop them in half and put them in 2 different places the survival rate will drop...

DANG! Now you tell me!

Canada
07-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Actually fish can live out of water for about 10 minutes, if you ever go fishing and don't have a stringer just throw the fish on the bank and it will breath the air through it's mouth for awhile. What you most likely did was made it suffer even more by doing that. If you would have flushed it, the fish would have been in water and lived until something came along and ate it. The natural way of termination. You didn't know and that isn't your fault. Most likely the new fish you got beat up your fish, it was the weaker of the 2 you had and thats how that type of fish rolls, I owned a Red Devil from Africa and they are known for being very large fish from the Nile River. Very aggressive and known to eat damn near anything in the water, except crocs but depends on how big the crocidile is LOL!
If you have to do that again I hope you just flush it down into the sewer, it will be much easier on you and better for the fish as well.

How old is this thread? At least you found a way to make her feel worse about killing her fish!! :bananen_smilies046: My dog died when I was 10, wanna tell me how painful it was for him?

rbedgood
07-07-2009, 03:09 AM
How did it die? I don't know how old the thread is, it was up for discussion and I thought I would add in. We all have to do this for animals every now and then, guess someof us can and some have issues with it. Sorry to hear your hangin on to your dog bro, I will pray for your pain.

KCC, if you look at the small gray bar above each post you can see the date which it was made...in this case nearly 2 years ago. Fortunately luv is an inactive member who hasn't been around much for a while...so I don't think your response will cause much grief.

AussieChiefsFan
07-07-2009, 03:37 AM
KCC, if you look at the small gray bar above each post you can see the date which it was made...in this case nearly 2 years ago. Fortunately luv is an inactive member who hasn't been around much for a while...so I don't think your response will cause much grief.
Precisely; 760 Days ago, or, 2 years, 29 days!:D

heh, I got bored! :tongue:

rbedgood
07-08-2009, 12:13 AM
I wasn't worried about causing grief, infact my intent was to educate the individual about fish . However in response to the age of the thread, it was on page one and I didn't think that it warranted looking at the date to see it's age. I guess I have to look at that from here out . Thanks for telling me how stupid I was , it helps me to correct that for future use ;)

...nearly anyone who has been around here for very long knows the last thing I was doing was belittling you. I do think about how others feel when I make a post as I would if I was making a remark in person. Maybe its my personality, maybe it is fifteen years of working in customer service and sales...either way it is my nature to do so.

I was simply trying to help as I didn't know if you had seen the dates on the threads previously. We are all human and overlook things from time to time.

Bike
07-09-2009, 10:59 AM
dawg?

AussieChiefsFan
07-10-2009, 03:01 AM
Thank you Mr. Data.
:D:D

hermhater
07-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Fish used to give me nightmares.

AussieChiefsFan
07-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Fish used to give me nightmares.
YouTube - Arthur the evil fish

:lol:

hermhater
07-15-2009, 11:57 PM
The most humane way to kill a fish is put it in ice, in the freezer.

Chiefster
07-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Wow! Someone dug deep into the archives for this one!

hermhater
07-16-2009, 02:58 AM
And now luv knows how to humanely kill a fish.

I miss you luv.

Chiefster
07-16-2009, 06:05 PM

I miss you luv.

You sir are a wealth of information.

Chiefster
07-16-2009, 06:33 PM
I thought it was a current thread which is why I replied. Then bang everyone said I was lucky it is 2 years old. I guess looking at the born on date is needed LOL!!!

:lol: It happens.

AussieChiefsFan
07-17-2009, 07:58 AM

I miss you luv.
I had a look through some of the older threads once, and found a few (a lot) of luv's posts.

I also remeber seeing a profile of a guy about my age or a bit older, and he looked like a New-Zealander or Maori (a person from the islands around New-zealand and parts of Australia). If anyone remembers him, plrease explain.

Chiefster
07-17-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm sorry aussie, I do not remember him.

Canada
07-17-2009, 01:07 PM
I had a look through some of the older threads once, and found a few (a lot) of luv's posts.

I also remeber seeing a profile of a guy about my age or a bit older, and he looked like a New-Zealander or Maori (a person from the islands around New-zealand and parts of Australia). If anyone remembers him, plrease explain.

So you want to know about a guy who is one of the 2000 members here who might look like he is from New Zealand?

Is it the guy with Dan Saleamula in his sig?

AussieChiefsFan
07-17-2009, 10:15 PM
So you want to know about a guy who is one of the 2000 members here who might look like he is from New Zealand?

Is it the guy with Dan Saleamula in his sig?I think, I'll check (if I can find the guy).

AussieChiefsFan
07-17-2009, 10:25 PM

Is it the guy with Dan Saleamula in his sig?
Well, I can't find his profile anymore, but His Avatar Picture was himself (and I previously explained what he looked like) and he looked about 13-16 years old. As for his favorite player, I can't remember. But If you remember a person like him.........

Canada
07-17-2009, 11:51 PM
So a guy, who has a pic of himself, is young and has a fav player. hmmm...it could be me!?!

hermhater
07-18-2009, 12:19 AM
I think it's you.

Bike
07-18-2009, 08:44 AM
I see dead fish.

Chiefster
07-19-2009, 01:24 AM
I see dead fish.

...And Bruce Willis.

hermhater
07-21-2009, 03:42 PM
I've only got the one fish left.

Got rid of them all last year.

tornadospotter
07-21-2009, 04:46 PM
I've only got the one fish left.

Got rid of them all last year.
Fried, grilled or baked? :D

hermhater
07-21-2009, 04:51 PM

I actually gave them away to a local pet store, and gave my 50 gallon tank to the kid that worked there.

Bike
07-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Fried, grilled or baked? :D
Flushed.

hermhater
07-21-2009, 06:49 PM

Chiefster
07-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Flushed.

Free Willie!

Guru
07-22-2009, 02:51 AM
We need Sweets.

Chiefster
07-22-2009, 03:55 AM
We need Sweets.

She was cool!

Guru
07-22-2009, 04:12 AM
$37,000 of candy? Why? Not only did he steal the candy he stole from the school to pay for it. Pretty cool of the candy company to address the situation like they did.

tornadospotter
07-22-2009, 04:13 AM
We need Sweets.
YouTube - Maynards Candy TV - commercial Canada
:D

Chiefster
07-22-2009, 04:34 AM
Wow! They've found a candy that clones people!

Canada
07-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Now that is great stuff! They are most likely banned in the US because of the cloning thing but I bet they are good.
You would know, u are the fish whisperer!!

hermhater
07-24-2009, 01:14 AM
I think he was implying that you might be the fish whisperer.