PDA

View Full Version : Too early to hire Mike Leach?

wichitaj
12-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Looks like his day's in Texas Tech are over. I would like to see him as our OC.

honda522
12-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Well its alittle to late to implement him into the team where we would see effects.

Chiefster
12-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Well its alittle to late to implement him into the team where we would see effects.

I think he meant for next year.

Vandelay
12-29-2009, 09:22 PM
If Leach actually did what he has been acused of, then he should never be hired by anyone.
EVER!

tornadospotter
12-29-2009, 09:31 PM
If Leach actually did what he has been acused of, then he should never be hired by anyone.
EVER!
Yep!! What a dumb a$$ thing to do. To any person, let alone one that just suffered a concussion, and is a son of a former NFL player, now a sports announcer.

KristofLaw
12-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Leach story is headed for curious twist

Mike Leach's coaching career is headed for a morning showdown tomorrow in Lubbock.

Attorneys representing the embattled Texas Tech coach announced that they will be seeking a temporary restraining order to get the Texas Tech coach back on the field.

If Leach is successful, he'll coach the Red Raiders in Saturday's Valero Alamo Bowl against Michigan State. If not, the next domino may have dropped in what could be the end of his 10-season coaching tenure at Tech.

... more here (http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/16573/leach-story-is-headed-for-curious-twist).

matthewschiefs
12-30-2009, 12:16 AM
I think he will get anther college job before he takes a OC job in the NFL. But he defently nos how to put points on the board.

Chiefster
12-30-2009, 02:39 AM
Yep!! What a dumb a$$ thing to do. To any person, let alone one that just suffered a concussion, and is a son of a former NFL player, now a sports announcer.

I'm no where in the loop here; what did he do?

tornadospotter
12-30-2009, 03:10 AM
I'm no where in the loop here; what did he do?
ttp://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/texastech/stories/122909dnsposherrjamesqt.2724b21b.html

http://wcco.com/sports/mike.leach.texas.2.1394699.html

Chiefster
12-30-2009, 03:38 AM
ttp://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/texastech/stories/122909dnsposherrjamesqt.2724b21b.html

http://wcco.com/sports/mike.leach.texas.2.1394699.html

Thanks!

nosebleed34
12-30-2009, 09:45 AM
No thanks on Mike Leech, not only is he crazy as hell but his spread offense wouldn't work in the NFL...

pbatrucker
12-30-2009, 10:38 AM
No thanks on Mike Leech, not only is he crazy as hell but his spread offense wouldn't work in the NFL...
:bananen_smilies046:

lucky_lefty
12-30-2009, 11:27 AM

best comment in this thread

chief31
12-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Well, after reading the story, the big question that picks at me is "Why?"

Why would a coach do that?

I can't think of anything that makes that relatively reasonable, even for a total jerk-off.

Not that all information was given in the story. But that just sounds alot more made-up than actually possible.

Even if it's a HC with a power trip, why would you punish a player for receiving an injury?

Texas Tech suspended Mike Leach on Monday while the school investigated complaints from receiver Adam James and his family about how the player was treated after a concussion.

James is the son of former NFL player Craig James, now a television sports analyst for ESPN.

Defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill will be the interim coach when Texas Tech plays Michigan State in the Alamo Bowl on Jan. 2.

School officials declined to identify the player, but James' family released a statement to The Associated Press saying it was Adam.

A person with direct knowledge of the complaints told the AP that James, while unable to practice with a concussion, twice was forced to stand in a small, dark place for hours while the team practiced.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the complaint and the ongoing investigation.

James was injured Dec. 16 and the next day was diagnosed with a concussion by team doctors, the person said.

According to the person, James was sequestered at two consecutive practices:

• On Dec. 17, James said Leach told trainers to put him "the darkest place you can find." James was sent to an equipment shed near the practice field, where a member of the athletic staff checked on James to make sure he did not lean against anything or sit on the floor. James said Leach told him that if he came out he would be kicked off the team.

• When the team returned to practice two days later, on Dec. 19, James said Leach told trainers to "find the tightest, darkest place" for the player. James, in his street clothes, was put in an electrical closet inside the football stadium for hours, again monitored by a member of the athletic staff.

The James family contacted the university after the second practice, the person said.

Leach's attorney, Ted Liggett, disputed the account.

Adam James "claimed to have been hurt," was examined and diagnosed with a "mild concussion," Liggett told the AP.

"I believe that (Adam James) was a disgruntled student athlete that like many were not happy with their playing time," Liggett said.

He told ESPN.com that James "was placed in an equipment room as it was much cooler and darker" than the practice field. The second time, Liggett told ESPN.com, James was placed in a "press room with air conditioning and a stationary bike he could use."

McNeill, who will remain in charge of the team until the investigation is complete, declined to answer questions about the complaints after Monday night's practice in San Antonio. Players were not made available to the media.

"Mike's my friend. We've been friends for a long time, and I don't think right now is the right time to go into that," McNeill said.

He said Leach arrived with the team in San Antonio and that Adam James also was with the team, but not practicing.

McNeill said he was told Monday afternoon that he was taking over for Leach, then told the players shortly afterward.

"They were probably a little shocked, but at the same time, they did a good job of coming on the field and doing what I asked them to do. I was proud of that," McNeill said.

Craig James was scheduled to announce the Alamo Bowl, however, ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said James will no longer work the game.

The James family issued a statement Monday saying their "son had been subjected to actions and treatment not consistent with common sense rules for safety and health."

"Over the past year, there has been a greatly enhanced recognition of the dangers of concussions and the potential for long term physical damage to players. At virtually every level of football coaching, cases where children and young men have sustained concussions have generated serious discussion of the importance of correct treatment and diagnosis."

There's been internal strife this season with the Red Raiders (8-4).

Leach chastised players after a loss to Texas A&M in October for listening to "their fat little girlfriends," and thinking the Aggies were a pushover. After the Red Raiders' loss at then-No. 12 Houston in September, Leach indefinitely suspended starting offensive lineman Brandon Carter for violating team rules.

That week Leach also banned his players from having Twitter pages after linebacker Marlon Williams posted a tweet that asked why he was still in a meeting room when "the head coach can't even be on time."

Leach led Texas Tech to the best season in program history last year, going 11-2. But he and the university were at odds for months over negotiations for a contract extension. In February, Leach and the school agreed to a five-year, $12.7 million deal that could keep him there through 2013.

wichitaj
12-30-2009, 08:48 PM
he reminds me of Mike Martz, and offense mastermind, and a 'tard in real life.

Vandelay
12-30-2009, 10:43 PM
When asked about his termination, Leach had this to say. Now Im Done.mp3 (http://www.jungledrops.com/drops/Now%20Im%20Done.mp3)

chief31
12-31-2009, 01:06 AM
he reminds me of Mike Martz, and offense mastermind, and a 'tard in real life.

Martz, an offensive mastermind?

I think he was just living off the remains that Vermiel left him. He has been worthless since having that team in place for a couple of seasons.

Just like Al Saunders is an offensive mastermind... as long as he has Vermiel's system and the players to fit.

texaschief
12-31-2009, 03:35 AM
First off, let me say this...

Mike Leach wanted out of Lubbock. That's why he waited so long to sign his extension. He saw this as his ticket out while still getting his money. He didn't do ANYTHING wrong and he knows it. But, he's not cooperating with the investigation so that the university will fire him. Putting a player in a dark room while they have migraines or concussions is a common practice. Did y'all see the "small room" he was put in? It's bigger than my first apartment!! It's a hell of a lot bigger than any dorms college students have to live in!!! Anyway, with all the watchdog agencies and crap that people have to deal with in society today, there's no way someone could possibly expect to get away with something if there was actual malicious intent. This whole thing is getting blown WAY out of proportion. Craig James is just pissed that his son isn't getting paid or given vehicles while he's there at college like he did when he was at SMU with Dickerson.

Congratulations Craig James... you've managed to kill TWO football programs single handedly.... NICE.

Second, Mike Leach as an NFL OC is the dumbest thing I've EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE!!!! ESPECIALLY after all this BS we've heard since last off season about the spread being a "gimmick offense." What do you think he would implement as an OC for the Chiefs?!! I'm sorry, but this is just a HORRID idea.

MDChiefs!
12-31-2009, 03:57 AM
does he know how to implement the run game? JC has been playing really well, and I dont want the master of the spread offense to come in here and stunt his growth, and try to make us run an offense we are not built to run. We still have plenty of time to find our new coaches

Wanna Win
12-31-2009, 10:20 AM
First off, let me say this...

Mike Leach wanted out of Lubbock. That's why he waited so long to sign his extension. He saw this as his ticket out while still getting his money. He didn't do ANYTHING wrong and he knows it. But, he's not cooperating with the investigation so that the university will fire him. Putting a player in a dark room while they have migraines or concussions is a common practice. Did y'all see the "small room" he was put in? It's bigger than my first apartment!! It's a hell of a lot bigger than any dorms college students have to live in!!! Anyway, with all the watchdog agencies and crap that people have to deal with in society today, there's no way someone could possibly expect to get away with something if there was actual malicious intent. This whole thing is getting blown WAY out of proportion. Craig James is just pissed that his son isn't getting paid or given vehicles while he's there at college like he did when he was at SMU with Dickerson.

Congratulations Craig James... you've managed to kill TWO football programs single handedly.... NICE.

Second, Mike Leach as an NFL OC is the dumbest thing I've EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE!!!! ESPECIALLY after all this BS we've heard since last off season about the spread being a "gimmick offense." What do you think he would implement as an OC for the Chiefs?!! I'm sorry, but this is just a HORRID idea.

Whatever dude. Look at the numbers, 76-39 with 10 bowl appearences in 10 years. Who gives a crap what he did? The kid probably deserved it. Winning is in the numbers. Period.

endzonewillie
01-01-2010, 02:32 AM
Seems as though sometimes when a team is losing like the Chiefs are the fans will want to bring in anyone that has a tiny bit of success. He is not the right fit for the job in KC , bypass what he is suspected of as the press is treating it like he killed the guy. If he is guilty of mistreating a football player then Hayden Fry the retired Iowa Hawkeye coach is guilty of the same for painting the oppossing teams locker room pink to destroy their psyc before games. The charges are rediculous and he is a good college coach that should stay in college.

texaschief
01-02-2010, 03:02 AM
Whatever dude. Look at the numbers, 76-39 with 10 bowl appearences in 10 years. Who gives a crap what he did? The kid probably deserved it. Winning is in the numbers. Period.
He's not even in the same CLASS of coaches as Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, or Pete Carroll and your argument is numbers?! Bwahahahahahahahah

chief31
01-02-2010, 06:57 AM
He's not even in the same CLASS of coaches as Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, or Pete Carroll and your argument is numbers?! Bwahahahahahahahah
Spurrier was gonna be my exact example. :D

There is alot more than numbers. And that is what TC tried to address.

Make no doubt, the numbers do tell a story. I use them alot.

But they do not tell the whole story.

moonshiner
01-02-2010, 09:24 AM
leach is a nut there is no earthly reason except pure desperation this should even be a topic

chief31
01-02-2010, 02:10 PM
leach is a nut there is no earthly reason except pure desperation this should even be a topic

I've seen this kind of comment a couple of times. Since I really don't know alot about him, could someone elaborate on this line of thinking?

Is there something more to it than this "big" incident with the player who had a concussion? Or are we just taking the accusation as fact here?

Pro_Angler
01-02-2010, 09:55 PM
I believe the kid was a headache in the first place and the doctor told him to stay in a dark room, and the spoiled brats dad had the coach fired.

moonshiner
01-03-2010, 10:06 AM
leach has had a history of odd behavior and had some past instances of abuse ..not bad abuse just tings coaches should not do . TT was looking for a reason to get rid of him .. why else would you get rd of a Winning coach? Leach picked on the wrong kid .. that shows how stupid he is.

No one will touch him with a 10 ft pole . ESPN will see to that!

chief31
01-03-2010, 10:18 AM
leach has had a history of odd behavior and had some past instances of abuse ..not bad abuse just tings coaches should not do . TT was looking for a reason to get rid of him .. why else would you get rd of a Winning coach? Leach picked on the wrong kid .. that shows how stupid he is.

No one will touch him with a 10 ft pole . ESPN will see to that!

No details? I couldn't find anything in my online searches, so I was hoping that someone would elaborate.

why else would you get rd of a Winning coach?

Not like that is entirely unheard of. But that question certainly doesn't answer mine.

moonshiner
01-03-2010, 10:56 AM
A couple of excerpts from this link Texas Tech fires Leach as head coach - CFB News - FOX Sports on MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/Texas-Tech-Mike-Leach-fired-123009) tells m that there was more than meets the eye besides the James situation and it was the excuse TT needed to pul the plug in hoping that other "issues" would go away. Besides the James thing it was clearly a case of insubordination ... grounds enough if you ask me, even more grounds that his " alledged" treatment of James all subject matter that I could care less about

"Leach was suspended Monday after he refused to agree to guidelines for dealing with players set forth by school officials in a Dec. 23 letter. Turner declined to elaborate on what other issues surfaced during the investigation."

"In a defiant act of insubordination, Coach Leach continually refused to cooperate in a meaningful way to help resolve the complaint. He also refused to obey a suspension order and instead sued Texas Tech University," the statement said."

regardless to mention his name as a possible OC is ridicules at best

chief31
01-05-2010, 03:54 PM
A couple of excerpts from this link Texas Tech fires Leach as head coach - CFB News - FOX Sports on MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/Texas-Tech-Mike-Leach-fired-123009) tells m that there was more than meets the eye besides the James situation and it was the excuse TT needed to pul the plug in hoping that other "issues" would go away. Besides the James thing it was clearly a case of insubordination ... grounds enough if you ask me, even more grounds that his " alledged" treatment of James all subject matter that I could care less about

"Leach was suspended Monday after he refused to agree to guidelines for dealing with players set forth by school officials in a Dec. 23 letter. Turner declined to elaborate on what other issues surfaced during the investigation."

"In a defiant act of insubordination, Coach Leach continually refused to cooperate in a meaningful way to help resolve the complaint. He also refused to obey a suspension order and instead sued Texas Tech University," the statement said."

regardless to mention his name as a possible OC is ridicules at best

Not that I have any desire to bring him here, but all I am seeing is this single issue. And it seems reasonable that he wanted out of his contract and found this to be his opportunity to do so.

I guess I am just not seeing where one would come to the conclusion that he is "a nut", from any of this, without taking the accusation as fact.

yashi
01-05-2010, 04:04 PM
His favorite restaurant is Waffle House and he's obsessed with pirates and Geronimo. There's a lot more... just do a Google search and you'll see. He just has an offbeat personality and weird interests. He also has a painting of himself as Vincent Van Gogh in his office.

chief31
01-05-2010, 04:08 PM
His favorite restaurant is Waffle House and he's obsessed with pirates and Geronimo. There's a lot more... just do a Google search and you'll see. He just has an offbeat personality and weird interests. He also has a painting of himself as Vincent Van Gogh in his office.

What's wrong with The Waffle House? :D

And I imagine the word 'obsessed' was someone else's opinion, in regards to pirates and Geronimo.

But I'll accept the Van Gogh thing as a bit nuts. :lol:

yashi
01-05-2010, 04:13 PM
What's wrong with The Waffle House? :D

And I imagine the word 'obsessed' was someone else's opinion, in regards to pirates and Geronimo.

But I'll accept the Van Gogh thing as a bit nuts. :lol:

No, obsessed as in... he has a copy of Geronimo's birth certificate and gives 3 hour lectures to his players about the history of pirates. He keeps a life size skeleton pirate in his office.

This article's pretty good.

Eccentric Leach ready to lead Red Raiders to ultimate treasure - College Football - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3385098)

The dude is revered as a god to TT fans. He was pretty much the perfect college coach, so it's too bad that incident messed things up for him. There's no denying he's pretty weird though. :D

josh1971
01-05-2010, 04:24 PM
No, obsessed as in... he has a copy of Geronimo's birth certificate and gives 3 hour lectures to his players about the history of pirates. He keeps a life size skeleton pirate in his office.

This article's pretty good.

Eccentric Leach ready to lead Red Raiders to ultimate treasure - College Football - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3385098)

The dude is revered as a god to TT fans. He was pretty much the perfect college coach, so it's too bad that incident messed things up for him. There's no denying he's pretty weird though. :D

The raiders would be a PERFECT spot for him.