PDA

View Full Version : Wiping the Slate Clean with Haley

Hayvern
01-04-2010, 01:15 AM
OK guys,

I have been a very vocal critic of Haley's but I am willing to wipe the slate clean if he does a couple of things immediately.

First, he needs to get rid of Pendergast as Defensive Coordinator. Then bring in someone else that is a solid choice to replace him.

He then needs to hire an offensive coordinator. Both of these things need to happen sooner rather than later to start preparing for next season.

I can overlook some of the issues this season as long as he does not do some of the same stupid mistakes next season.

Vandelay
01-04-2010, 01:56 AM
I'm pretty sure the DC will be taken care of this week.
And I'm willing to bet that they will have an OC before long.
No facts there, just my opinion.

AussieChiefsFan
01-04-2010, 02:37 AM
We'll just have to wait and see.

josh1971
01-04-2010, 03:11 AM
I'm pretty sure the DC will be taken care of this week.
And I'm willing to bet that they will have an OC before long.
No facts there, just my opinion.

From reading a link Coach posted in another thread, it doesn't sound like merely rumor that Crennel will be wearing a Chiefs polo shirt on draft day. :D

From the comments in the article, that may happen like... tomorrow.

For Offense, I'd just like someone who can really use weapons like Jamaal and Matt, and put some other ones in there that will open things up.

jb

pbatrucker
01-04-2010, 07:09 AM
I think Haley has made his fair share of mistakes, But through a lot of adversity this team has continued to play hard for him all year. Due to that fact I have to disregard all the complaints that he doesn't have the respect of the players.

yashi
01-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Bring on Crennel and Weis!

slimdagreat
01-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Apparently Romeo Crennel becoming the new DC is all but a done deal. This will be a great boost for KC since he ran almost an identical defense for New England during their Super Bowl years.

As was already said, we really need an OC that can help Cassel develop. In an ideal world, the Chargers will flame out in the playoffs, leading to Norv Turner's firing, and KC could hire him as an OC.

Say what you want about him as a Head Coach, but as an OC, he's one of the best around, and he always brings out the best in his QBs......Lord knows Cassel needs all the help he can get.

yashi
01-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Apparently Romeo Crennel becoming the new DC is all but a done deal. This will be a great boost for KC since he ran almost an identical defense for New England during their Super Bowl years.

As was already said, we really need an OC that can help Cassel develop. In an ideal world, the Chargers will flame out in the playoffs, leading to Norv Turner's firing, and KC could hire him as an OC.

Say what you want about him as a Head Coach, but as an OC, he's one of the best around, and he always brings out the best in his QBs......Lord knows Cassel needs all the help he can get.

I seriously doubt Norv or any coach gets fired after a 13-3 season, regardless of how the playoffs go. The Chargers are arguably the best team in the NFL right now. Even if he were fired, he'd land a HC job somewhere else immediately.

70 chiefsfan70
01-04-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm not a big Haley fan either mainly because I see the 09 draft to be completely inexcusable. Also I was against the TG trade, the Tank trade, the Pollard deal, sitting Bowe and DJ,(just cause he didn't like em) , lack of FA pickups, sitting on all the left over cap money, fireing a good OC, starting LJ when it was clear to see he was a big baby and didn't want to play, and more.......all of that could have been the GM calls but he still had influents...

All that being said nobody is perfect and he has the right to wrong, so long as he learns by his mistakes,

Eat some crow Haley, Good luck on the Draft and please don't forget about the FA. I'm looking forward to a much improved Headcoach and team in 2010.

Go Chiefs!!!
Go Haley!!!

Canada
01-04-2010, 10:34 AM
I seriously doubt Norv or any coach gets fired after a 13-3 season, regardless of how the playoffs go. The Chargers are arguably the best team in the NFL right now. Even if he were fired, he'd land a HC job somewhere else immediately.

Weren't they around 13-3 when they fired Shottenheimer?

Canada
01-04-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm not a big Haley fan either mainly because I see the 09 draft to be completely inexcusable. Also I was against the TG trade, the Tank trade, the Pollard deal, sitting Bowe and DJ,(just cause he didn't like em) , lack of FA pickups, sitting on all the left over cap money, fireing a good OC, starting LJ when it was clear to see he was a big baby and didn't want to play, and more.......all of that could have been the GM calls but he still had influents...

All that being said nobody is perfect and he has the right to wrong, so long as he learns by his mistakes,

Eat some crow Haley, Good luck on the Draft and please don't forget about the FA. I'm looking forward to a much improved Headcoach and team in 2010.

Go Chiefs!!!
Go Haley!!!

Im giving everyone a pass on last years draft as they were all hired late. Haley was in the SBlast year so I doubt he was really paying a lot of attention to the needs of the Chiefs at the time.

The TG trade had been coming before Haley got here so you can't put that on him. As far as DJ and Bowe gettnig benched because Haley did not like them? Are you serious? They were benched due to poor inconsistant play. LJ had to be the starter cause he made all the $$$. He made the right choice in the end. Tank and Pollard...average at best.

honda522
01-04-2010, 11:13 AM
It sounds more and more likley that Wiess and Crennel will be here. That should be 2 more wins right there. Get a defense who can cover and tackel, and an offense who can score in the redzone; not a field goal, a TD.

slimdagreat
01-04-2010, 11:20 AM

I said it would be ideal, not likely.

and they fired Marty after a 13-3 season didn't they?

yashi
01-04-2010, 11:36 AM
I said it would be ideal, not likely.

and they fired Marty after a 13-3 season didn't they?

True story, but I believe that was due more to a falling out between HC and upper management than lack of playoff success, though I'm sure he would have remained had they fared better in the postseason.

I'd love to have Norv as our OC too, don't get me wrong.

Seek
01-04-2010, 12:51 PM

I am not sure they were 13-3 but they did have a double digit win record and made the play offs.

Seek
01-04-2010, 12:57 PM
I personally don't mind having Haley as OC. Yeah he made some stupid calls, but the guy was pressing to find ways to win. This offense was stagnant the start of the year. There was almost a sack a serious. The team was constantly 3 and 15.

Look at what some talent at RB allowed Haley to do. The offense was greatly improved.

I personally loved the game plan that Chiefs installed yesterday. 80 freakin yard in 4 plays and kicked the donkies in the nuts doing it.

the stupid pass by Castille was horrid, but the play calling was good.

His whole demeanor has changed as well. He is high fiving people now, and it was clear Bobby Wade and him had a disagreement and he kept his cool while Bobby Wade was chewing him out.

Like I said befor though. His honeymoon is over today.

yashi
01-04-2010, 01:13 PM
I agree his playcalling has improved a lot recently. I just think being a HC alone is one of the toughest and most demanding jobs there is, and having to be OC and QB coach on top of it seems unrealistic.

We could still hire an OC and Haley keep calling the plays. I don't know if Weis would be interested in that, however.

Connie Jo
01-04-2010, 01:22 PM

Totally in agreement with your opinion related to Turner. Not sure I agree the Chargers are the "best in the NFL" however...one of the best, no doubt. :)

Connie Jo
01-04-2010, 01:29 PM
I am not sure they were 13-3 but they did have a double digit win record and made the play offs.

If memory is correct, there were many outside factor's related to the firing of Marty...including the scandal he was (or had) having an affair with RB Greg Hill's wife.

OOPS! hahaha

As well, Marty had developed a rep of being too conservative to win playoff games, didn't have what it took to take a team all the way. He proved the same to be true in San Diego.

Bike
01-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Totally in agreement with your opinion related to Turner. Not sure I agree the Chargers are the "best in the NFL" however...one of the best, no doubt. :)
After losing 3 of their first 5 games, the Chargers finished the season in pretty impressive fashion with 11 straight wins and winning the west for the 4th straight year. Right now I think they are playing better than anybody and have a legit shot at the trophy...

Connie Jo
01-04-2010, 01:51 PM
After losing 3 of their first 5 games, the Chargers finished the season in pretty impressive fashion with 11 straight wins and winning the west for the 4th straight year. Right now I think they are playing better than anybody and have a legit shot at the trophy...

I agree, I just can't bring my bias butt to declare a division rival the "best in the NFL", hahahaha. :D

Bike
01-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I agree, I just can't bring my bias butt to declare a division rival the "best in the NFL", hahahaha. :D
I know what you mean!!! :bananen_smilies046:

yashi
01-04-2010, 02:02 PM

That's why I had to throw in "right now". :D

Coach
01-04-2010, 11:02 PM
I personally don't mind having Haley as OC. Yeah he made some stupid calls, but the guy was pressing to find ways to win. This offense was stagnant the start of the year. There was almost a sack a serious. The team was constantly 3 and 15.

Look at what some talent at RB allowed Haley to do. The offense was greatly improved.

I personally loved the game plan that Chiefs installed yesterday. 80 freakin yard in 4 plays and kicked the donkies in the nuts doing it.

the stupid pass by Castille was horrid, but the play calling was good.

His whole demeanor has changed as well. He is high fiving people now, and it was clear Bobby Wade and him had a disagreement and he kept his cool while Bobby Wade was chewing him out.

Like I said befor though. His honeymoon is over today.

Playcalling did get better, but we need a full-time OC. I think it will be challenging for Haley to keep his hands out of the playcalling duties in 2010.

Pro_Angler
01-04-2010, 11:10 PM
It sounds more and more likley that Wiess and Crennel will be here. That should be 2 more wins right there. Get a defense who can cover and tackel, and an offense who can score in the redzone; not a field goal, a TD.
KC did have one of the best redzone scoring in the league if im not mistaken..

chief31
01-05-2010, 02:13 AM
For what it's worth, Marty had The Chargers at 14-2 during his final season.

jb908
01-05-2010, 07:41 AM
and once again... Chiefs fans are so loyal they stick behind a coach with 4 wins. FIND SOMEONE NEW.

Ryfo18
01-05-2010, 08:47 AM
and once again... Chiefs fans are so loyal they stick behind a coach with 4 wins. FIND SOMEONE NEW.

Anyone looking for an overnight fix at coach is going to continue to look for that each and every year. You can't build championship franchises overnight.

Heck, at this rate if we double our win total every year like we did this year, we'll be 16-0 by 2011 :bananen_smilies046:.

matthewschiefs
01-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Anyone looking for an overnight fix at coach is going to continue to look for that each and every year. You can't build championship franchises overnight.

Heck, at this rate if we double our win total every year like we did this year, we'll be 16-0 by 2011 :bananen_smilies046:.

Could not agree more. Changeing coaches would just be starting over. I realy do not want to start over yey again. Haley didnt do anything this season to make me think he can not be a good coach.

and if he doubles the win total thats always good. GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!

KottkeKU
01-05-2010, 12:38 PM
I dont want to turn into the Redskins.... a new coach and new playbook (on both sides of the ball) will only set the team back year after year.... like the Redskins.... continuity is key in the NFL, and i will echo the statement, you cant expect a head coach (a rookie head coach at that) to fix everything in one year, after we just went 2-14 the previous year with Herm. Are you retarded? That just isnt even close to realistic.

matthewschiefs
01-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Playcalling did get better, but we need a full-time OC. I think it will be challenging for Haley to keep his hands out of the playcalling duties in 2010.

I was never one to think that the playcalling was ever as bad as some thought that it was. But I do think that at the end of the year the offense looked like a actual NFL offense. Thats something that we have not seen in a while. I remain high on the hopes for haley but hopefuly he does go out and hire an OC he needs to be the Head coach of this team.

chief31
01-05-2010, 01:53 PM
I can't say that I wipe the slate clean. But, obviously, if Haley gets to fixing the problems, then all will eventually slide under the rug.

Just like with Herm Edwards, all he needs to do is fix it. Herm didn't. He kept right on with the same mistakes, year after year. Had Herm stayed, and changed those things, then I would have backed him.

But I was more than ready to be rid of him when he left.

matthewschiefs
01-05-2010, 02:03 PM
I can't say that I wipe the slate clean. But, obviously, if Haley gets to fixing the problems, then all will eventually slide under the rug.

Just like with Herm Edwards, all he needs to do is fix it. Herm didn't. He kept right on with the same mistakes, year after year. Had Herm stayed, and changed those things, then I would have backed him.

But I was more than ready to be rid of him when he left.

I hope that haley does wipe thoses mistakes out. Herm refused to even admit that he had made mistakes. He would sit in every press confrance defending his horrible decisons. Thats what encourges me about Haley i have heard him say that was a mistake or i made a mistake. To be able to fix your mistakes you first have to relize you made mistakes. Haley at least in part has said ya i messed up.

Herm will never be a good head coach in the NFL. His gameplan to keep the game close just is not one that will work in the NFL. Maybe he could be a good college coach I dont no. But if he was still around and we saw double the wins from the previous year i would say ok lets see what next year brings. But I was overjoyed when i got the news they fired him he just is not a good head coach in the nfl.

chief31
01-05-2010, 02:11 PM
I hope that haley does wipe thoses mistakes out. Herm refused to even admit that he had made mistakes. He would sit in every press confrance defending his horrible decisons. Thats what encourges me about Haley i have heard him say that was a mistake or i made a mistake. To be able to fix your mistakes you first have to relize you made mistakes. Haley at least in part has said ya i messed up.

Herm will never be a good head coach in the NFL. His gameplan to keep the game close just is not one that will work in the NFL. Maybe he could be a good college coach I dont no. But if he was still around and we saw double the wins from the previous year i would say ok lets see what next year brings. But I was overjoyed when i got the news they fired him he just is not a good head coach in the nfl.

Not to argue, but I remember Herm saying that he made mistakes. Or that something was his fault. It's just that he never recognized his biggest mistakes.

His overall philosophy, as you pointed out, being the biggest.

matthewschiefs
01-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Not to argue, but I remember Herm saying that he made mistakes. Or that something was his fault. It's just that he never recognized his biggest mistakes.

His overall philosophy, as you pointed out, being the biggest.

Herm did from time to time admit to this or that. But for the most part he just put the blame on the youth of this team and the players. But your right from time to time he would say something was his fault. Just not often enough.

bigpoppachief
01-05-2010, 05:56 PM

LOL great point Canada and thier GM is not beyond firinf Turner if they lose especially first game

Chiefster
01-05-2010, 06:37 PM

...This.

I think it is imperative for Haley's growth as a head coach to have a full time OC.

Chieffaninfl
01-05-2010, 06:59 PM

Remember Marty getting booted after that same record, and another playoff loss!!