PDA

View Full Version : Contract with Jamaal Charles.

honda522
01-04-2010, 08:05 PM
I feel like we need to reward JC with a new contract. I fear if we do it, don't do it until it is time, things could become a mess and end up like the Johnson case.

What do you think?

I think part of the reason the running back who shouldn't be named, problem is he was making to much Bloody Money.

But on the other hand, if we reward him a little now, it shouldn't be a problem.

SalinaChiefsFan
01-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Did a google search on his contract status. Copy/paste from rotoworld.com:

7/21/2008: Signed a three-year, $1.760 million contract. The deal included a $610,000 signing bonus. 2009: $385,000, 2010: $470,000, 2011: Restricted Free Agent

If this is correct, I say we make him the starter for 2010 at the chicken feed due under his current contract. But it should be made perfectly clear by the organization, "if your play in 2010 matces or exceeds that of the last half 2009, the you sir shall be greatly rewarded."

yashi
01-04-2010, 09:53 PM
LJ and JC seem to be polar opposites of each other in terms of personality. I watched JC's postgame interview yesterday, he comes off as a very humble young man who loves to play football. Humble is the last word I would use to describe LJ at any point in his career.

I have no problem whatsoever rewarding JC. He just turned 23, he has low mileage, a very bright future, and he strikes me as a good all around kid. LJ was coming off of a 416 carry season and was 28 when he signed his big deal I believe. If there's 1 player on the entire team I want to see here 4 years from now, it's him. And it's not even close.

honda522
01-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Hell, I just thought of something. We migth franchise him at this point.

Ryfo18
01-04-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm sure they'll wait until he's a RFA before they give him a new one. Keep it cheap while you can, and then definitely reward him next year if he keeps up this play.

matthewschiefs
01-04-2010, 10:22 PM
I think if Charles was anything like LJ then he will end up with a same exit from the Chiefs locker room. I dont think he is anything like LJ and Dont think it would ever get as ugly as LJ

but it would be nice to lock him up for a long long time. hopefuly he is a chiefs for life.

Pro_Angler
01-04-2010, 10:59 PM
I say play him this next year then get him a 4-5 yr deal if he gets over 1500yds

honda522
01-04-2010, 11:05 PM
I say play him this next year then get him a 4-5 yr deal if he gets over 1500yds
The amount of yards really doesn't matter, its all about scoring. If you run 98 yards and cant score, your pretty much worth less.

Connie Jo
01-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Based upon Charles 'humble' personality...I don't believe he will ever be comparible to LJ, regardless of JC's success in the NFL. Those types of personalities are set in stone, and they rarely change to one of narcissism, such as LJ's.

That said, I believe he will always play with heart, regardless of his success and pay level. Whatever it takes to keep him a Chief...I'm for that! hahaha

AussieChiefsFan
01-05-2010, 05:02 AM
Did a google search on his contract status. Copy/paste from rotoworld.com:

7/21/2008: Signed a three-year, $1.760 million contract. The deal included a $610,000 signing bonus. 2009: $385,000, 2010: $470,000, 2011: Restricted Free Agent

If this is correct, I say we make him the starter for 2010 at the chicken feed due under his current contract. But it should be made perfectly clear by the organization, "if your play in 2010 matces or exceeds that of the last half 2009, the you sir shall be greatly rewarded."

In 2011 when is a RFA i hope he wants to stay with the chiefs.

hometeam
01-05-2010, 12:21 PM
No reason to even think about this, since, one, we dont knwo whats happeneing with the CBA, and two, hes not a FA until after next season~

matthewschiefs
01-05-2010, 12:54 PM
No reason to even think about this, since, one, we dont knwo whats happeneing with the CBA, and two, hes not a FA until after next season~

While I do agree that its not something that should be number 1 on the list for the Chiefs to get done. I think that it would be nice to lock him up before he even gets to talk to other teams. Hes a player the Chiefs NEED for a long time to come. Hopefuly they can get something done with him.

chief31
01-05-2010, 01:30 PM
I'd be all for "re-structuring", to the effect of adding some cash as a reward for a player that far exceeded what his origional contract was designed for.

Not a whole new contract. Just a way of adding in a bonus to the player, on the current contract.

A reward shows the kind of loyalty from the team, that you want the players to have for the team.

Hayvern
01-05-2010, 01:53 PM
I don't think you do it. Yeah, I know everyone wants to sign this guy and thinks he is the future for the Chiefs, but next year, he could turn out to be a Kolby Smith and be injured all year, it is very possible.

No, you don't pull a Cassel here and try to lock him up to a long term contract just yet, he is still fairly unknown as to how he will hold up.

chief31
01-05-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't think you do it. Yeah, I know everyone wants to sign this guy and thinks he is the future for the Chiefs, but next year, he could turn out to be a Kolby Smith and be injured all year, it is very possible.

No, you don't pull a Cassel here and try to lock him up to a long term contract just yet, he is still fairly unknown as to how he will hold up.

Agreed. Need to see more first.

honda522
01-05-2010, 08:39 PM

Don't think negative thoughts. He took some pretty hard hits. Metioning Smith and Charles injury is not right. Kolby is injury prone.

yashi
01-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Getting a deal done now opposed to later could save a lot of money if it gets done before he's a superstar.

kilobytes
01-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Don't think negative thoughts. He took some pretty hard hits. Metioning Smith and Charles injury is not right. Kolby is injury prone.
Certainly is Charles as well. He is scaring me the way he runs. Arms have been coming out of sockets etc

honda522
01-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Certainly is Charles as well. He is scaring me the way he runs. Arms have been coming out of sockets etc
He said himself its happened in while at Texas alot. Now he has money and medical insurance he can get it fixed.