PDA

View Full Version : Is our defensive line worse then our Offensive Line?

figcrostic
01-05-2010, 10:17 AM
At the beginning of the season and last season our O line was all the talk, but you cannot deny our O-line is much better now. Especially now that we have a good running game and Cassel has been getting rid of the ball better our line has looked much better. Right now our defense is bad, we are ranked 31 on our rush defense that's the second worst. We are also 31 in sacks only 22 and 8.5 are from Hali, we need some help. Right now we could use some help on the O-line but our D-line is much worse. We need a pass rusher, we need some guys who can stuff the run, and some help in the secondary. I think our first pick should be some who can pass rush, we need that more then a beast OL. I know many of you will be telling me Im an idiot, but that's what we need.

Hayvern
01-05-2010, 10:35 AM
At the beginning of the season and last season our O line was all the talk, but you cannot deny our O-line is much better now. Especially now that we have a good running game and Cassel has been getting rid of the ball better our line has looked much better. Right now our defense is bad, we are ranked 31 on our rush defense that's the second worst. We are also 31 in sacks only 22 and 8.5 are from Hali, we need some help. Right now we could use some help on the O-line but our D-line is much worse. We need a pass rusher, we need some guys who can stuff the run, and some help in the secondary. I think our first pick should be some who can pass rush, we need that more then a beast OL. I know many of you will be telling me Im an idiot, but that's what we need.

Well, supposedly we have those beasts on this team, and I am not ready to give up on them. Dorsey played so much better this year and the games he was out were some of the worse for us against the run.

I think we are probably hurting more with linebackers. 2 of the four starting linebackers were "players off the street".

We do probably need a starting nose tackle though, I will admit that, but I think that is something that free agency can provide, I just don't think we need to spend yet another high draft pick on a player for the defensive line that might be a bust, its time to get a known commodity in there.

And yes, we still need to address offensive line, especially before Waters decides to quit.

honda522
01-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Give them time...and fire Tim Krumrie.

matthewschiefs
01-05-2010, 11:52 AM
They both need a lot of help. hopefuly we see alot of diffrent players on both lines next season.

yashi
01-05-2010, 11:58 AM
The DL certainly finished the season much worse than the OL, which as you said improved dramatically as the season went on. Fortunately, we have a couple really young top 5 picks on it that will only get better.

KottkeKU
01-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Give them time...and fire Tim Krumrie.

+1

Yashi makes a good point too, 2 or of our 3 D Lineman are a rookie and a sophomore project (Dorsey), and our NT is a band-aid... throw in a new def. coordinator, etc. Not a good recipe for success. Next year they will be middle of the pack or better against the run, which is a HUGE improvement...

figcrostic
01-05-2010, 12:16 PM
+1

Yashi makes a good point too, 2 or of our 3 D Lineman are a rookie and a sophomore project (Dorsey), and our NT is a band-aid... throw in a new def. coordinator, etc. Not a good recipe for success. Next year they will be middle of the pack or better against the run, which is a HUGE improvement...

I agree a better DC can teach the guys to tackle better, but right now we don't have a speedster other then Hali who can get to the QB. I miss Jared Allen that guy is so good.

Vandelay
01-05-2010, 01:23 PM
It's a little harder to evaluate D-linemen in a 3-4. Their jobs are not so much to sack the QB, or even make tackles. Its's more occupie the o-line, so the LB's can make a tackle, or get the sack.

Dorsey was good, will get better. Jackson, not so good, but as long as he improves like like Dorsey did in his 2nd year, he will be fine. But we need a beast of a NT.

chief31
01-05-2010, 01:44 PM

Pass rusher would be a LB, not a d-lineman. But I agree that the NT is a top position of need.

While Albert had his problems at LOT, they sure seemed fewer late in the year. And I doubt that The Chiefs will be looking to move him from that spot. But I would still be thrilled to get a ROT or C, or both, in the first few rounds of the draft.

As for a NT, well, I just hope that they can find someone to help. Rather that be somewhere in the draft, probably not at #5 overall, or through free agency, I don't know.

But, along with Safety, NT is one of our biggest positions of need, in my opinion.

josh1971
01-05-2010, 01:50 PM
And when you get a monster of a pass rusher, it sucks up blockers, and allows your other guys to make plays.

I do think our D-line is in need of a beastly NT, though I'm not sure whether that's through free agency or the draft. Tyson and Glenn will hopefully be better book ends this year.

With the linebackers- Hali is really good, and I'm glad he made the transition well. I also liked Demorrio Williams a lot. DJ we should keep, and Vrabel is a nice team leader, but if we replaced him with a sack machine, I'd be ok with that.

jb

figcrostic
01-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Pass rusher would be a LB, not a d-lineman. But I agree that the NT is a top position of need.

While Albert had his problems at LOT, they sure seemed fewer late in the year. And I doubt that The Chiefs will be looking to move him from that spot. But I would still be thrilled to get a ROT or C, or both, in the first few rounds of the draft.

As for a NT, well, I just hope that they can find someone to help. Rather that be somewhere in the draft, probably not at #5 overall, or through free agency, I don't know.

But, along with Safety, NT is one of our biggest positions of need, in my opinion.

True and we need a beast pass rusher at LB.

brish
01-05-2010, 06:41 PM
I think we have invested enough 1st round picks in that Dline now tbh. A NT in a later round or through FA would be nice.
Dorsey and Jackson should and will improve this year.

Vrabel is a good leader and a pro. But he is getting old, and I really noticed how slow he looked last sunday. I think we need a new starter at OLB.

We probably also need a new ILB, or for DJ to play good consistently, I have my doubts that we will keep him though. (His contract is due soon)
Williams is playing well, and I think Mays has performed better than most anticipated, and while he is good against the run, he is less than adequate in coverage..

And we need atleast 1 safety too. Brown stunk the 1st half of the season, but lately he has been playing really well. But there is always the risk of him getting hurt, he has been prone to that!

And who knows where Page is at?

We need plenty on D still :)

Bike
01-05-2010, 06:46 PM
We need a stud nose tackle to anchor this 3-4. Just not sure where we're gonna find him.

Chiefster
01-05-2010, 06:49 PM
I think it may well be a matter of using our current defensive personnel appropriately, but I'm just guessing.

honda522
01-05-2010, 11:23 PM
I agree a better DC can teach the guys to tackle better, but right now we don't have a speedster other then Hali who can get to the QB. I miss Jared Allen that guy is so good.
Well if we could get a dam ref to throw a hanky ever now and then when they should, we might get more sacks, cause there is alot of holding on Tamba every game. No ref ever calls it. If you get a ref to call a few every game, the left tackle isn't going to hold in fear of drawing a flag.

Chiefster
01-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Well if we could get a dam ref to throw a hanky ever now and then when they should, we might get more sacks, cause there is alot of holding on Tamba every game. No ref ever calls it. If you get a ref to call a few every game, the left tackle isn't going to hold in fear of drawing a flag.

Seemed to me we had the same problem with opposing teams "coverage" on Tony G the last couple of seasons or so.

figcrostic
01-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Seemed to me we had the same problem with opposing teams "coverage" on Tony G the last couple of seasons or so.

Some kind of Conspiracy!!! :mob:

Chiefster
01-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Some kind of Conspiracy!!! :mob:

Nah, just stupid refs.

pbatrucker
01-06-2010, 02:17 PM
I think the OL and DL has the same problem as me, soft in the middle.

Xanathol
01-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Just an outsider looking in, but if Berry & Okung are gone, and if KC can trade down, Cody could be a nice pickup. Lots of ifs there, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it.

I've seen a lot of mocks predict RM to you all, which would be a fine pick, but I personally don't know if I'd give a 3-4 ILB high 1st round money. AJ Hawk in 2006 is the highest ILB taken in recent memory @ 5th, whereas most other successful ones are 11th or later.

Hmmm...if KC could find someone on the board SF reallllly wants and threaten to take them, maybe get their 2 1st for KC's pick? :D

pbatrucker
01-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Just an outsider looking in, but if Berry & Okung are gone, and if KC can trade down, Cody could be a nice pickup. Lots of ifs there, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it.

I've seen a lot of mocks predict RM to you all, which would be a fine pick, but I personally don't know if I'd give a 3-4 ILB high 1st round money. AJ Hawk in 2006 is the highest ILB taken in recent memory @ 5th, whereas most other successful ones are 11th or later.

Hmmm...if KC could find someone on the board SF reallllly wants and threaten to take them, maybe get their 2 1st for KC's pick? :D
If Cody shows up at the combine a few pounds lighter and real good shape his stock might go up. Right now he should drop to the 2nd round but IMO the Chargers will take him in the 1st round.

josh1971
01-06-2010, 08:09 PM
But hey, good news for the O-line, the offensive line coach Joe D'Allessandris was let go as well.

So with both Krumrie and D'Allessandris gone, and now at least Weiss coming in, maybe we'll see improvement on both the offensive and defensive lines in the trenches.

jb

kcnation
01-06-2010, 10:09 PM
we really need a good offensive lineman,..logan mankins would be great to go after.we need someone to protect cassel and to open up some holes for a consistant running game,and it all makes sense since now that we have weiss its probably a no brainer for pioli to go back to new england to get another of his players he drafted anyway

Connie Jo
01-07-2010, 12:35 AM
I actually see much talent on our DL...somewhat hidden based upon stats. The stats may not back that talent up yet, but I believe in time they will.

In fact...I see some similarities in our defense with that of the 90's. No, I'm not comparing, it's not close, but there are similarities there, and with time...possibly we will be able to compare our defense to that of the 90's.