PDA

View Full Version : Golden Tate possible draft pick at 35?

King_of_the_Cassel
01-10-2010, 02:13 AM
With Chalie Weiss on board what do you think about KC drafting Golden Tate WR Notre Dame? Here is his highlight reel. YouTube- Golden Tate - 2008 Highlight Package

tksixtyone
01-10-2010, 02:21 AM
I think we have #37 in that round, but I could be wrong. I wouldnt have a problem with it, though I think we should focus more on defense in the second round. I think we would be the team who best knows how to use him bc of Weis

Fansincebirth
01-10-2010, 03:28 AM
He is not good enough to pick #5 and really dought he will be arourd come pick #37 if he is available at 37 and is 4.4 or quicker in the 40 I would be all for it. I'm actually hoping we can get Eric Berry with pick 5 but doughting he is there at 5 LOL. I think safty is our greatest need on Defence. We also have the 50th or 51st pick in the draft also. Should be able to get 2nd or 3rd rated safties with that pick. So why not go after a good WR like Tate if he's still there at 37

jacko58
01-10-2010, 07:00 PM
agreed not with first pick unless we trade down alot and pick up some more picks then id take him late first early second if weis loves him having weis is gonna help us evaluate all the notre tream in the draft and future drafts

Chief Tyler
01-10-2010, 07:39 PM
agreed not with first pick unless we trade down alot and pick up some more picks then id take him late first early second if weis loves him having weis is gonna help us evaluate all the notre tream in the draft and future drafts

Nobody is suggesting taking him with the first round. If we did take a wideout in the first round, Bryant, Lafell and Williams would all be available.

Anywho, the draft is still a long ways away and a lot can happen, but right now I wouldn't mind spending either of the second round picks on Tate should he be there, though what we do with the first pick determines how the rest of the draft goes. If we take Berry like I hope we do, I'd be okay with going offense in the second round. If we go OT number 5 overall, I'd lean more toward a guy like Von Miller on defense.

Another guy who could help is Eric Decker. He's similar to Tate and fell a little bit due to injury. He could be a solid receiver taken in the 3rd or even later. Oh, and then there's that Shipley guy.

fairladyZ
01-11-2010, 03:43 AM
Meh other than some speed and bad coverage didn't see anything to exciting as all the throws were right in the bread basket!

Now i will say it one more time, I know you guys are all high on tate but better value if he declares for the draft. AUSTIN PETTIS from BSU!!!

Catches everything and here is proof!

YouTube- Boise State Broncos 2009 - #2 Austin Pettis

Isawa_mo
01-11-2010, 08:36 AM
This looks to be a pretty receiver heavy draft. I do not know a ton about Pettis. I know he was limited in their bowl game due to a fracture in one of his legs. It through me, because they said it happened three weeks before, yet he was playing some, which is odd, since most fractures are 6 weeks period. Can he help in the return game too? I would think the ones that can help in that aspect will be the highest on their radar. Shipley does that. How many of the others do? I am not being rhetorical with that question, I honestly do not know which others are kick returners.

yashi
01-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Tate will obviously get some consideration because of the Weis connection, but I think we have much more pressing needs than WR if we can re-sign Chambers and we can pick up a slot receiver in the 3rd round with someone like Jordan Shipley.

matthewschiefs
01-11-2010, 11:27 AM
I would not be upset if the Chiefs took him. Tate was a good reciver under Weis at Noter Dame. Haveing Weis a coach that tate nos would defently help him in the NFL.

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Tate does one thing and one thing only - makes plays.

He is fantastic after the catch, comes up with the big grab, and blocks downfield.

Now, michael floyd is going to be the better pro, so i wouldn't be surprised to see us go after him next year, but I love golden tate. My best friend is a huge Irish fan, so I ended up watching all of their games. I was objective, since I'm not a ND fan per se, but Tate constantly showed up, and constantly made plays.

I'd take him in the second in a heartbeat.

fairladyZ
01-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Pettis doesn't do any special teams for BSU. Not sure if he would really be a special teamer for returns, maybe for coverage but not sure on being our return man.

He fractured a bone in his ankle on the 27th of November, and said he was about 70% when he played in the fiesta bowl on Jan 4th. Not to shabby for about 4 weeks. Dude is tough, big (6'3" 203lbs, and runs a 4.5 40yrd dash so he is not a burner but seems to play fast in pads)

Great value if he declares for the draft. He is ranked 8th out of all wide receivers.

Pro_Angler
01-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Pettis IMO looks slow and doesnt have the breakaway speed or YAC's???

fairladyZ
01-11-2010, 04:22 PM
He is not slow by any means, he is not a burner though either, and gets his fair amount of YAC but his upside is he catches everything, and i do mean EVERYTHING. He is big, he plays big, he runs very good routes. I don't care about YAC or a Deep threat, i want someone to catch the ball and hold on. Run a 10yard route and move the chains, Chambers can obviously stretch the field and bowe can get YAC. We can get a speedster late in the draft or in FA, who knows maybe lawrence will become a decent deep threat.

But no pettis is not as slow as you think. Actually if you watch the video you will see a very fast corner barely run him down and make a shoe string tackle. He reminds me ALOT of anquan boldin but with better hands.

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-11-2010, 08:04 PM
If you don't love Golden Tate, you aren't watching.

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Meh other than some speed and bad coverage didn't see anything to exciting as all the throws were right in the bread basket!

Now i will say it one more time, I know you guys are all high on tate but better value if he declares for the draft. AUSTIN PETTIS from BSU!!!

Catches everything and here is proof!

YouTube- Boise State Broncos 2009 - #2 Austin Pettis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW8UJYR3bCU)

Unless you are talking about the fourth round AT BEST then no way on earth.

honda522
01-11-2010, 08:17 PM
There is a whole hell of a lot of good WR's in this draft. I would like to see us go after Jordan Shipley, at least he can return punts and kick offs.

Chief Tyler
01-11-2010, 08:49 PM
There is a whole hell of a lot of good WR's in this draft. I would like to see us go after Jordan Shipley, at least he can return punts and kick offs.

Golden Tate in the second and Banks in the later rounds :). Tate is compared to Steve Smith as far as skill set and size. Banks is super raw. One of the best returners in college football, he could be used similar to how Percy Harvin and Josh Cribbs are used on offense as well with outside runs, reverses/trick plays, taking some of the weight off of Charles' shoulders. He's super tiny too which only adds to the confusion when you're dealing with a special circumstance player like that.

I like Shipley, but he projects as a slot guy/number 3 man (we do need a slot guy badly though if Long isn't going to work out for us), but I'd rather have a guy that is considered more NFL ready with more potential to be a solid number 2 (or 1 if the drafting team gets lucky). Also, I'd rather have a KR/PR that we're not asking to be an extremely vital part of the offense as returning kicks limits a players shelf life most of the time.

I guess it's a matter of preference. Spend a little more and have an even better receiver that already knows our OC and his system and use an expendable pick on one of the best returners available or wait a little bit, get a guy that can do it all and use the higher picks on other needs. To me, there isn't really a wrong answer.

jacko58
01-11-2010, 09:49 PM
its gonna be what haley and weis thinks of tate. if weis loved him i believe hell be drafted and if its a second pick or later i'll like the pick

KottkeKU
01-11-2010, 10:16 PM
BRIS-COE in the 3rd or 4th

hometeam
01-12-2010, 12:54 AM
46" vertical - this is my WR sleeper pick of the draft :P

YouTube- Danario Alexander: All American WR

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
We do need a slot receiver, but we need a #1 or #2 receiver. If we can get a #1, then fine and move Bowe to #2. But this is the draft to get a #2 guy.

I can't believe someone is on here promoting a wide receiver's being tiny as an asset.

Shipley would be great in the third or fourth, but if Tate is there in the second you just take him. If he were one or two inches taller, he'd be the first WR off the board in the top ten.

Add to it that he's been playing in our offensive system since he was 18 years old, provides a deep threat, has GREAT hands, and is super tough after the catch, I just don't see the problem.

Now, we do have other needs. does everyone agree that we are going offensive tackle with our first pick? Good. Because we can't have three top-5 draft picks on our defensive line.

Hopefully we can trade down to around the tenth pick and get Okung, Williams, or McClain/Spikes at a more reasonable cost.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor Mays fall to the second round, like Maualuga and Laureniatis did. I'd snatch him there in a second. Why? He's tall. If we're going to challenge San Diego, we need somebody who can go up HIGH to take balls away from Gates and Jackson.

mays isn't berry, but in the second round, he's way better value.

kcmostwanted
01-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Good Points SAPHOJUNKIE...

The little guy from K-STATE is quick but there's no way his frame is going to hold up in the NFL... and NOOOO.. he's not Darren Sproles.

Golden Tate is probably a 1st round draft choice because GM's will be looking for the next DeSean Jackson or Percy Harvin...

I also agree that Danario Alexander or Jordan Shipley would be a solid pick if they were available later...but after Shipley's performance I'm sure he'll be gone by the middle of the 2nd... (Jordy Nelson??)

Another WR to keep an eye on is Damian Williams from USC. He doesn't have blazing speed but scouts say he's the best route runner they've seen in a long time... that's impressive! Guys like Steve Smith (NYG) and Anthony Gonzalez didn't have blazing speed but their route running has helped them tremendously in the NFL.

The 2nd round is going to be critical for the chiefs... and there will be plenty of talent available when we pick....2 Defensive guys that can slip:

Taylor Mays - He's big, physical and fast but scouts question his coverage skills... w/ the announcement that Earl Thomas is entering the Draft, Mays might have to fight to be the 2nd Safety taken

---if one of the top 3 safeties don't slip then we can keep an eye on Major Wright of Florida or Reshad Jones of UGA or even Stuckey from KU in the 3rd - later rounds.

Jordan Spikes - Might slip just like Rey and James Laurinaitis into the second round. He has good size but lacks some speed and athleticism. Also teams will have to question his suspension.

Once again it all depends on what we do w/ our 1st pick..

Chief Tyler
01-12-2010, 07:31 PM
We do need a slot receiver, but we need a #1 or #2 receiver. If we can get a #1, then fine and move Bowe to #2. But this is the draft to get a #2 guy.

I can't believe someone is on here promoting a wide receiver's being tiny as an asset.

Shipley would be great in the third or fourth, but if Tate is there in the second you just take him. If he were one or two inches taller, he'd be the first WR off the board in the top ten.

Add to it that he's been playing in our offensive system since he was 18 years old, provides a deep threat, has GREAT hands, and is super tough after the catch, I just don't see the problem.

Now, we do have other needs. does everyone agree that we are going offensive tackle with our first pick? Good. Because we can't have three top-5 draft picks on our defensive line.

Hopefully we can trade down to around the tenth pick and get Okung, Williams, or McClain/Spikes at a more reasonable cost.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor Mays fall to the second round, like Maualuga and Laureniatis did. I'd snatch him there in a second. Why? He's tall. If we're going to challenge San Diego, we need somebody who can go up HIGH to take balls away from Gates and Jackson.

mays isn't berry, but in the second round, he's way better value.

Being small as a typical WR is a disadvantage, nobody suggested that it was an advantage. Being on the smaller side makes it harder for defenders to find him in traffic and being smaller makes him harder to get a hold of and bring down when combined with his quickness.

Good Points SAPHOJUNKIE...

The little guy from K-STATE is quick but there's no way his frame is going to hold up in the NFL... and NOOOO.. he's not Darren Sproles.

Golden Tate is probably a 1st round draft choice because GM's will be looking for the next DeSean Jackson or Percy Harvin...

I also agree that Danario Alexander or Jordan Shipley would be a solid pick if they were available later...but after Shipley's performance I'm sure he'll be gone by the middle of the 2nd... (Jordy Nelson??)

Another WR to keep an eye on is Damian Williams from USC. He doesn't have blazing speed but scouts say he's the best route runner they've seen in a long time... that's impressive! Guys like Steve Smith (NYG) and Anthony Gonzalez didn't have blazing speed but their route running has helped them tremendously in the NFL.

The 2nd round is going to be critical for the chiefs... and there will be plenty of talent available when we pick....2 Defensive guys that can slip:

Taylor Mays - He's big, physical and fast but scouts question his coverage skills... w/ the announcement that Earl Thomas is entering the Draft, Mays might have to fight to be the 2nd Safety taken

---if one of the top 3 safeties don't slip then we can keep an eye on Major Wright of Florida or Reshad Jones of UGA or even Stuckey from KU in the 3rd - later rounds.

Jordan Spikes - Might slip just like Rey and James Laurinaitis into the second round. He has good size but lacks some speed and athleticism. Also teams will have to question his suspension.

Once again it all depends on what we do w/ our 1st pick..

You're right, Banks isn't Darren Sproles. He's a better returner than Sproles was in college. Sproles was a great returner his junior year with a forgettable senior season. Oh, and Sproles wasn't supposed to hold up in the NFL either, and Dante Hall had too small of a frame to be successful in the NFL.

Gimme a break.

There's a reason that Banks is projected as a 6th to 7th round pick. You don't draft guys that late to be surefire starters and impact players. Banks has huge risk just as any player of that type does, but with a late pick, it isn't exactly a huge risk. I'd rather have a guy with upside anyway rather than a guy with all the measurables and no football savvy when drafting int he later rounds.

lucky_lefty
01-12-2010, 09:16 PM
I thought this was discussed in another draft thread??? Tate will be Az-Zahir Hakim in the league...Deep threat and nothing else....True he makes plays but he's not built for the league and will get bodied at the next level against physical DBs. There are at least 6-8 WRs I'd take before him.

Coach
01-12-2010, 09:16 PM
All I can say is that I LOVE draft time. The last couple of years, it has been my favorite part of the season. I'd love to have a guy like Tate on our team. He's someone that could stretch the field, and we need that badly.

At the same time, we also someone to help us defend the pass and we need someone to protect the QB.

I am already excited for this draft. I'm glad we have that extra 2nd round pick. It looks like there will still be some really good players on the board in the 2nd round.

Chiefster
01-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Yup! I can't wait for April myself!

tornadospotter
01-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Draft time, is when the future is full of hope, and new beginning of the next Great Chief Player!

I am from Nebraska, and I would love to see a Man named Ndamukong Suh, in a Chiefs uniform, but unlikely that he will be there, so I want the best player on the board, that can help us win! I know that defense win championships, and I want a return of the most feared defense in the NFL. I believe we need to draft a play maker in the first round of the draft, who ever it is, this draft we need one! Needs to be signed and in training camp on day one, setting the tone of I am here to play and win!

Chief Tyler
01-12-2010, 11:49 PM
I thought this was discussed in another draft thread??? Tate will be Az-Zahir Hakim in the league...Deep threat and nothing else....True he makes plays but he's not built for the league and will get bodied at the next level against physical DBs. There are at least 6-8 WRs I'd take before him.

Deep threat and nothing else? What makes him draftable is his ability as a WR. He isn't the tallest guy and he isn't a speedster. He's got some of the best hands of the available receivers.

Here's a scouting report on him.
Golden Tate NFL Draft scouting*report - Mocking The Draft (http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2009/12/22/1212983/golden-tate-nfl-draft-scouting)

Some key points.
-Good route runner.
-Good lateral quickness/movement.
-Knows how to evade tacklers.
-He's a YAC guy which will really help Cassel
-Blocking ability.

Doesn't seem like a pure deep threat to me. He seems like a well rounded football player. Oh and he knows our new OC really well.

Chief Tyler
01-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Draft time, is when the future is full of hope, and new beginning of the next Great Chief Player!

I am from Nebraska, and I would love to see a Man named Ndamukong Suh, in a Chiefs uniform, but unlikely that he will be there, so I want the best player on the board, that can help us win! I know that defense win championships, and I want a return of the most feared defense in the NFL. I believe we need to draft a play maker in the first round of the draft, who ever it is, this draft we need one! Needs to be signed and in training camp on day one, setting the tone of I am here to play and win!

As much as I don't like the Huskers :lol:, I'd love to have Suh as well, almost to the point of not caring if that means having 3 highly paid DE's on the team. I think he's going number two to the Lions though. If we don't get him I agree that we need a defensive leader/playmaker. I hope it's Berry. We need a Polomalu/Reed presence on our defense, something I don't think Jackson and Dorsey are going to offer even if they develop into really solid players. If Berry is gone I hope we're able to trade down and nab McClain or Haden. Though after passing on Curry, I don't think Pioli would use a 5th overall on a LB.

dbolan
01-13-2010, 02:48 AM

You are right. This kid WILL be a SOLID player in the NFL. If we can get him, we should.

pantherfan
01-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Weis has campared him to Steve Smith

yashi
01-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Weis has campared him to Steve Smith

I would say he's closer to the Giants Steve Smith than the Carolina one.

figcrostic
01-13-2010, 01:01 PM
With Chalie Weiss on board what do you think about KC drafting Golden Tate WR Notre Dame? Here is his highlight reel. YouTube- Golden Tate - 2008 Highlight Package (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iIdPV4eibg)

No I don't like short wr's, just kidding he looks good.

pantherfan
01-13-2010, 01:58 PM
I would say he's closer to the Giants Steve Smith than the Carolina one.
Weis says he knows Carolina Smiths well and says thats who he favors.I could see both S.Smiths.but Tates build is very similars to carolinas smith and there games very similar too

DC_Chiefsfan
01-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Tate is a game changer like DeSean Jackson. He was a RB until arriving at ND and if you watch his YAC he's amazing. If he's available you have to draft him! Hopefully we'll have another 2nd rd pick by draft day so we won't have to think twice before pulling the trigger on him!

kcred
01-14-2010, 09:51 PM
I. Also want them to draft sun. Even if that means trading up to get Jim. The chiefs defense needs a run stopper. Suh will take on the double team and can shed the blocks and make the tackle.
It amazing that he could lead his team in tackles the last 2 yrs. Suh will be the best defensive player to be drafted in the last 10 yrs

Chief Tyler
01-14-2010, 10:08 PM
I. Also want them to draft sun. Even if that means trading up to get Jim. The chiefs defense needs a run stopper. Suh will take on the double team and can shed the blocks and make the tackle.
It amazing that he could lead his team in tackles the last 2 yrs. Suh will be the best defensive player to be drafted in the last 10 yrs

As far as being a physical presence, he isn't much of an upgrade over Dorsey or Jackson. He's just more polished than either of them were coming out of college. And he's not going to play NT no matter how much people want him to. He's not an option while we still have Jackson and Dorsey. Too much money would be invested in DEs. It's not really that amazing that he's led his team in tackles over the last couple years and it remains to be seen if he's the best defensive player drafted in the last 10 years. Nice try though.

If we really want a 3rd first rounder for the DL, trade down even if that means we get jipped a little. At least we wouldn't have to pay Mount Cody or Dan Williams top 5 money.

Coach
01-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Suh isnt big enough to play NT at the NFL level. He's a 4-3, 3 technique. Ala Detroit.

jason1981
01-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Dont know about you all but i can't wait till the draft is here.

matthewschiefs
01-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Dont know about you all but i can't wait till the draft is here.

I cant wait either if nothing eles it means we are closer to Chiefs football again.