PDA

View Full Version : Haley shows interest in DJ next year.

honda522
01-12-2010, 09:42 AM
I was reading this article about players that should be here next year, and DJ was on the list. As long as we can resign him, he could potentially a starter again.

I think Haley is starting to figure things out.

Chiefs coach Haley has some surprises on his list of core players - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1678069.html)

MDChiefs!
01-12-2010, 09:46 AM
I would like to re sign DJ, but I honestly think he got more out of him as a rotational player than we ever did as a starter. Regardless of how athletic he is, this guys misses waaaay too many tackles to be starting. Even in his great Denver game, he must have missed a good 4-5 tackles. :( Plus, Haley has a man crush on Demarrio Williams...either way were going to need all the LBs we can get

MDChiefs!
01-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Hopefully we can resign Chambers, Page and DJ

yashi
01-12-2010, 09:58 AM
You know, I saw that interview and the way I remember it Haley started naming some guys.. and then a reporter kind of jumped in and asked about Derrick Johnson, and then Haley started talking about DJ. To me it didn't seem as if he was listing DJ as a core guy. Hopefully they bring him back though. He has a ton of talent that needs to be coached well, and Crennel can probably make him a great player.

matthewschiefs
01-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Dj is a very good player hopefuly we can keep him in KC. He defently ended the season on a high note.

honda522
01-12-2010, 12:21 PM
I would like to re sign DJ, but I honestly think he got more out of him as a rotational player than we ever did as a starter. Regardless of how athletic he is, this guys misses waaaay too many tackles to be starting. Even in his great Denver game, he must have missed a good 4-5 tackles. :( Plus, Haley has a man crush on Demarrio Williams...either way were going to need all the LBs we can get
Who cares if he missed tackles. I only care if he misses tackles. We pretty much wrapped up Crennel and this defense is going to be upgraded.

jap1
01-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Interesting quote from Haley about Albert:

“He’s a core guy in some fashion for us,” Haley said. “He’s a guy that developed as the year went on and made great progress with his overall conditioning, and that needs to continue."

That could be interpreted as him saying that Albert might be moved around. Then again, I could be reading way too much into one sentence.

MDChiefs!
01-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Who cares if he misses tackles? Obviously haley, thats only one of the many reasons he was bumped down to 3rd and 2nd string. DJ has ben in the NFL for 5 seasons and he still misses just as many tackles as he makes. I think theguy is an athletic freak of a LB, but the bottom line is he still cant wrap anyone up. Just caue we drafted him in the first round, doesnt mean he is guaranteed to be anything. He is a rotationl player, not a starter, and im sure Romeo knows this already

Who cares if he missed tackles. I only care if he misses tackles. We pretty much wrapped up Crennel and this defense is going to be upgraded.

Chiefster
01-12-2010, 02:38 PM
I was reading this article about players that should be here next year, and DJ was on the list. As long as we can resign him, he could potentially a starter again.

I think Haley is starting to figure things out.

Chiefs coach Haley has some surprises on his list of core players - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1678069.html)

You mean we will force him to resign???

I would prefer that we get him to re-sign. :D

matthewschiefs
01-12-2010, 02:41 PM
You mean we will force him to resign???

I would prefer that we get him to re-sign. :D

I agree it rarely works out when a player is not happy with the team that he is with. If we resign him then He HAS to want to sign with the chiefs. Keeping him in KC when he wants to move on would do neither side any good.

Chiefster
01-12-2010, 02:50 PM
I agree it rarely works out when a player is not happy with the team that he is with. If we resign him then He HAS to want to sign with the chiefs. Keeping him in KC when he wants to move on would do neither side any good.

I agree, but I think you missed my tongue in cheek joke. :D

tornadospotter
01-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I agree, but I think you missed my tongue in cheek joke. :D
I didn't, :D I would have though it funny, but I have been resigned by force before, and that was not, fun.:D
:lol:

Chiefster
01-12-2010, 10:54 PM
I didn't, :D I would have though it funny, but I have been resigned by force before, and that was not, fun.:D
:lol:

I hear ya!

honda522
01-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Who cares if he misses tackles? Obviously haley, thats only one of the many reasons he was bumped down to 3rd and 2nd string. DJ has ben in the NFL for 5 seasons and he still misses just as many tackles as he makes. I think theguy is an athletic freak of a LB, but the bottom line is he still cant wrap anyone up. Just caue we drafted him in the first round, doesnt mean he is guaranteed to be anything. He is a rotationl player, not a starter, and im sure Romeo knows this already
No, were talking about the future. Not the past. I don't care that DJ "Missed" tackles, whats done is done, as long as he can tackle next year.

No one on this team can seem to wrap up anyways, its not fair to single out on player, cause its all of them. The reason DJ was benched is because he was in Haleys dog house.

pbatrucker
01-12-2010, 11:10 PM
No, were talking about the future. Not the past. I don't care that DJ "Missed" tackles, whats done is done, as long as he can tackle next year.

No one on this team can seem to wrap up anyways, its not fair to single out on player, cause its all of them. The reason DJ was benched is because he was in Haleys dog house.
And he's in Haley's dog house becouse he is continuely out of position. If you didn't do your job the way your boss wanted you to, I bet you'd be in his dog house.

MDChiefs!
01-12-2010, 11:34 PM
how many years are you going to settle for this? This is his 5th year in the league. If you cant tackle by now, its probably not the coaches. At this rate were going to be playing this "next year" game with him until he retires...Sorry. I can only hope DJ will blow up so many seasons. Williams was a far more consistent LB this season than DJ was, and thats saying alot. And the reason DJ was in Haley's doghouse is because he had poor workout efforts, took plays off in practice, and was a lazy practice player...Call me crazy but I expect more out of our LBs, and im glad our coaching staff does too. Its a shame so many of us had learned to settle for mediocrity the last several years...I think that will all be over soon in KC

honda522
01-12-2010, 11:41 PM
how many years are you going to settle for this? This is his 5th year in the league. If you cant tackle by now, its probably not the coaches. At this rate were going to be playing this "next year" game with him until he retires...Sorry. I can only hope DJ will blow up so many seasons. Williams was a far more consistent LB this season than DJ was, and thats saying alot. And the reason DJ was in Haley's doghouse is because he had poor workout efforts, took plays off in practice, and was a lazy practice player...Call me crazy but I expect more out of our LBs, and im glad our coaching staff does too. Its a shame so many of us had learned to settle for mediocrity the last several years...I think that will all be over soon in KC
I am not settleing for anything. EVERYONE was missing tackles. Now times are changing, I don't care about the past, all I care about is the future.

I am lazy when there isn't much work to be done, but come time to work and I bust ***. For the most part, DJ busted *** on the field. 3 picks, 2 for TDs. Flowers had 5. Tells me DJ should have been on the field just a little bit more.

You know what pisses me off. Everyone was complaining about how DJ wasn't playing, and they all complained about Haleys antics. Now, every one is complaining about Derrick not working hard. People need to get their stories straight.

MDChiefs!
01-12-2010, 11:58 PM
i dont think you understood a word I said. I was explaining to you why DJ was in the doghouse. I would rather have a LB that is not always blowing coverage, or out of position than an overhyped, super athletic LB. You can be lazy because your not getting paid millions to play football. DJ was slumming around in practice and all through out the preseason and your okay with that? Did you not read the reports out of camp this pre season? Im not giving our other LBs a free pass, because frankly nobody on our team is that good of a tackler, but the topic was about DJ. It sounds like your the one giving DJ a free pass because you think everyone else is doing what DJ does wrong. DJ = rotational player, and he played better in that role. I think he learned something this season, and hopefully he can bring some better work ethic to the table for whoever he plays for next season, even if it is us. But unless he has really improved, I think he is nothing more than another liability on defense.

I am not settleing for anything. EVERYONE was missing tackles. Now times are changing, I don't care about the past, all I care about is the future.

I am lazy when there isn't much work to be done, but come time to work and I bust ***. For the most part, DJ busted *** on the field. 3 picks, 2 for TDs. Flowers had 5. Tells me DJ should have been on the field just a little bit more.

You know what pisses me off. Everyone was complaining about how DJ wasn't playing, and they all complained about Haleys antics. Now, every one is complaining about Derrick not working hard. People need to get their stories straight.

MDChiefs!
01-13-2010, 04:13 AM
not trying to come off as an ***...just want us to have the best possible players :|

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-13-2010, 02:10 PM
People don't understand how important consistency is.

DJ has talent, and that's great. He can make huge plays. he is far more talented than Demorrio Williams. So why would a coach prefer Williams as the starter? Consistency.

let's say demorrio lacks the s speed required to make a TFL on a misdirection handoff when he bites on the line movement. DJ can get that play, but Demorrio can't.

Okay, so 8 times out of 10 DJ is there to make the stop for a big loss.

10 times out of 10 Demorrio is there to make the stop, but after a short gain.

You would want to go with DJ, right?

Not necessarily.

If the safety has seen DJ be in position 8 times, then the ninth, he bites on the line, because he knows DJ is in position for the stop. Well, guess what? this is the NINTH time, and DJ is out of position. Welcom to a 60 yard run. thanks, DJ.

now Demorrio has been in position 8 times out of ten. Well, he might not have the speed to make the play, but by being in position, the safety knows exactly where to play. He knows that Demorrio will always lock down this section of the field. Even though it is a smaller area than what DJ can cover, it is consistent, so the safety can adjust and always be in the right position.

That is just one example, and probably a poor one technically, but in theory it might help to explain why consistency is more highly regarded than potential.

jap1
01-13-2010, 04:10 PM
People don't understand how important consistency is.

DJ has talent, and that's great. He can make huge plays. he is far more talented than Demorrio Williams. So why would a coach prefer Williams as the starter? Consistency.

let's say demorrio lacks the s speed required to make a TFL on a misdirection handoff when he bites on the line movement. DJ can get that play, but Demorrio can't.

Okay, so 8 times out of 10 DJ is there to make the stop for a big loss.

10 times out of 10 Demorrio is there to make the stop, but after a short gain.

You would want to go with DJ, right?

Not necessarily.

If the safety has seen DJ be in position 8 times, then the ninth, he bites on the line, because he knows DJ is in position for the stop. Well, guess what? this is the NINTH time, and DJ is out of position. Welcom to a 60 yard run. thanks, DJ.

now Demorrio has been in position 8 times out of ten. Well, he might not have the speed to make the play, but by being in position, the safety knows exactly where to play. He knows that Demorrio will always lock down this section of the field. Even though it is a smaller area than what DJ can cover, it is consistent, so the safety can adjust and always be in the right position.

That is just one example, and probably a poor one technically, but in theory it might help to explain why consistency is more highly regarded than potential.

Good way of breaking it down. DJ has always been criticized as taking plays off and losing concentration, on top of his poor wrapping ability. Having him as a rotational player means he has less to concentrate and he performs better on the few plays that he is in.

I dont think him starting is going to result in a performance like he had in Denver every week. I think if you look at his stats the year before, he wasnt that much more productive as a starter (I havent actually compared his stats, so I could be completely wrong).

Connie Jo
01-13-2010, 11:53 PM

I agree, they all missed LOTS of tackles, not just DJ. The missed tackles were every bit as frustrating as the multitude of dropped passes in 2009! Hopefully neither will be the case in 2010 with our new coaching additions, and other improving changes yet to come!

josh1971
01-13-2010, 11:57 PM
I would think that the poor coverage by the safeties is of large concern. I guess the coaches really like the dude we picked up near the end of the season (Price?), and I hate to judge Carr from one bad game.

Corners seem ok- Safeties need work.

I thought Williams and Hali did great at LB spot.

pbatrucker
01-14-2010, 05:38 AM
I would think that the poor coverage by the safeties is of large concern. I guess the coaches really like the dude we picked up near the end of the season (Price?), and I hate to judge Carr from one bad game.

Corners seem ok- Safeties need work.

I thought Williams and Hali did great at LB spot.
True that Williams led the team in tackles, but very few were quality tackles. Most were 4 or 5 yds down the field.
I love Tamba, how hard he plays and he did play better than anyone could have exspected. Truth is he still has a long ways to go. He must improve his run defense and in coverage. He needs to get stronger to be able to throw a bull rush in every now and then. And must learn more pass rush moves where he isn't using the same speed rush 95% of the time.
Vrabel is getting old and slow and Mays is a special teams player at best.
I've posted my opionons on DJ too many times. If he doesn't learn to do his job the way the coaches want every play he will be gone.

Seek
01-14-2010, 01:04 PM
You know, I saw that interview and the way I remember it Haley started naming some guys.. and then a reporter kind of jumped in and asked about Derrick Johnson, and then Haley started talking about DJ. To me it didn't seem as if he was listing DJ as a core guy. Hopefully they bring him back though. He has a ton of talent that needs to be coached well, and Crennel can probably make him a great player.

Yes, I agree. I heard the interview and they said there is things that DJ did that other people don't see appart for trom the two interceptions. He has worked hard all year and didn't complain. He said, I wish the best for DJ and hopefully for the Chiefs. In my opinion, it sounded like the Chiefs would like to resign him but not for what DJ will probably get on the market. If DJ even wants to talk to KC.