PDA

View Full Version : Defense top draft priority for Chiefs

kcred
01-13-2010, 08:06 PM
As we have seen in the playoffs,defense wins games ( jets, ravens ) remember when the Chiefs had a defense? That's the last time we won a playoff game. The Chiefs must make defense their #1 priority this off season. Yes we need a wide reciever. ,running back, guard but the defense has to be able to stop teams on third down and get off the field. Stop the run,. If the Chiefs are going to have a winning a season next year it will be because the defense was top ten. Worfolk, a saftey, corner back and a line backer muste come first. Defense & the arrowhead crowd is what it is going to take. Just my humble opinion.

#58ChiefsFan
01-13-2010, 08:21 PM
I am wondering how long, in reality, Romeo has known that he would be coming on board here.

Has he already begun scouting some additions for his scheme here in KC, began looking at some subtractions here? I agree with the Haley to Weis transition being in line with one another, the Pendergast to Crennel I am still debating. I hope he has the time he needs before the draft comes.

AussieChiefsFan
01-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Eric Berry best defensive player chiefs can draft IMO

Fansincebirth
01-13-2010, 09:08 PM
As we have seen in the playoffs,defense wins games ( jets, ravens ) remember when the Chiefs had a defense? That's the last time we won a playoff game. The Chiefs must make defense their #1 priority this off season. Yes we need a wide reciever. ,running back, guard but the defense has to be able to stop teams on third down and get off the field. Stop the run,. If the Chiefs are going to have a winning a season next year it will be because the defense was top ten. Worfolk, a saftey, corner back and a line backer muste come first. Defense & the arrowhead crowd is what it is going to take. Just my humble opinion.

We are not that far off with our defence. NT, S are biggest need. We dont need to draft a RB though most all teams do in the later rounds at least. You will be suprised at how much differance a good DC and D line coach will make. We have a good set of young LB's and DE's. About 13 years exp. spread over 6 players. This year it will be 19 years, alot of differance.

Townlain
01-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Biggest need is definitely safety. Though Berry will already be gone by the time the 5th pick rolls around, there is no other "big name" safeties to pick up till the second round. (Stuckey from KU and Mays from USC).

MDChiefs!
01-13-2010, 09:49 PM
I think we need to draft Rolondo McClain and keep building this defense the right way. He would instantly upgrade this defense. He is a sideline to sideline tackler, a great leader, good in coverage, hes played in both D schemes, and I love his build...6'1 250. Our front 7 playing better and doing their jobs makes it easier for our secondary to do theirs, not the other way around. Though I agree we need an upgrade at S, I dont think there is any way we pass up this kind of talent at ILB...not after how bad our LBs played this year...

MDChiefs!
01-13-2010, 09:50 PM
I dont think there is anyway we cant draft D with our first unless we trade back...

yashi
01-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Wilfork would be awesome, but I don't see why they would let him get away. NT definitely is a big priority though.

NT
SS
OLB
CB2
ILB (if DJ stays, otherwise move ILB up)

That's how I rank our biggest needs on defense. I have CB2 above ILB because Carr was picked on all year, Williams was a tackle machine and DJ has a lot of talent that Crennel can hopefully get the most out of.

On offense, I'd really be happy with just a slot receiver, backup RB, and 2-3 offensive linemen to bring into the mix. Our line was so good down the stretch that I don't see it as a top priority, though an upgrade would be nice.

honda522
01-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Thats not they way you build a team. This team has lots of positions to fill. You have to evenly build it, or otherwise you don't get that other side fixed.

When we had a defense, we didn't have an offense. When we had an offense, we didn't have a defense.

Its like putting up scaffolding, you have to put one section up on side, then the other...before you can go to the next level.

DC_Chiefsfan
01-13-2010, 10:12 PM
There is no debate. We have to draft Defense first. KC's defense was 30th in the league (22nd against pass and 31st against the rush) whereas our offense was 25th (11th rushing and 25th passing). Our OL played surprisingly well the 2nd half of the season. So to sum up my thoughts:

The Draft (if we don't trade down):
Berry if he's available or McClain if Berry's gone (since linebackers are the playmakers in a 3-4 and he's touted as the smartest/most athletic LB in years). Or we trade down and get more picks. Good OL can be found throughout this particular draft.

Free Agency (not all, but some):
Retain Chris Chambers
-Casey Hampton NT Pittsburgh
-Willie Colon RT Pittsburgh
-Logan Mankins OG New England (why not, we have a ton of NE personnel aready!)
-Brandon Marshall WR Denver
-Steve Breaston WR AZ
-Lance Moore WR NO

What do you guys think?

honda522
01-13-2010, 10:29 PM
There is no debate. We have to draft Defense first. KC's defense was 30th in the league (22nd against pass and 31st against the rush) whereas our offense was 25th (11th rushing and 25th passing). Our OL played surprisingly well the 2nd half of the season. So to sum up my thoughts:

The Draft (if we don't trade down):
Berry if he's available or McClain if Berry's gone (since linebackers are the playmakers in a 3-4 and he's touted as the smartest/most athletic LB in years). Or we trade down and get more picks. Good OL can be found throughout this particular draft.

Free Agency (not all, but some):

Retain Chris Chambers
-Casey Hampton NT Pittsburgh
-Willie Colon RT Pittsburgh
-Logan Mankins OG New England (why not, we have a ton of NE personnel aready!)
-Brandon Marshall WR Denver
-Steve Breaston WR AZ
-Lance Moore WR NO

What do you guys think?

First of all, welcome to the crowd.

Secondly We do not want Brandon Marshall. And we need to get Cassel some protection. The line looked good last year at the end of the season to. Don't put a band aid where stitches are needed.

Connie Jo
01-13-2010, 10:36 PM
We are not that far off with our defence. NT, S are biggest need. We dont need to draft a RB though most all teams do in the later rounds at least. You will be suprised at how much differance a good DC and D line coach will make. We have a good set of young LB's and DE's. About 13 years exp. spread over 6 players. This year it will be 19 years, alot of differance.

I agree, and have said before that I see talent in our defense. I see some glimmer's within our defense that bring memories to mind of our defense in the 90's. No, not equal by any means to the Chiefs 90's defense...but enough reminders that it leads me to believe our defense is on the move positively. Coaching will make a notable improved difference in 2010.

Connie Jo
01-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Thats not they way you build a team. This team has lots of positions to fill. You have to evenly build it, or otherwise you don't get that other side fixed.

When we had a defense, we didn't have an offense. When we had an offense, we didn't have a defense.

Its like putting up scaffolding, you have to put one section up on side, then the other...before you can go to the next level.

Definitely agree! 90's we had the defense, early to mid yrs. this decade we had offense and no defense. A team has to have balance to make it to, and win a Super Bowl...well, in most cases I remember anyway SB teams had balance.

Coach
01-13-2010, 10:55 PM

I agree with this post completely. Although, I do like the idea of having a game-changing thumper like McClain.

I remember the beginning of the 08' season our offensive line was getting punished. Then towards the end of that season Gailey switched to a spread offense and suddenly our offensive line looked better in the 2nd half of the season. Because of that the Chiefs decided to neglect getting help on the OL.

Fast forward to the 09' season, our OL looked awful the first 8 games, then improved against much weaker talent in the 2nd half of the season. I think the Chiefs should be very careful about over-valueing the talent of this OL. Especially when they are they only thing protecting our $60m QB. God only knows how bad this team would be without Cassel.

OL picks aren't sexy, but they are necessary. An OL that can give our QB a little more time to survey the field would help not only the offense, but it would keep the defense off the field. Suddenly those defensive rank #'s don't look so bad when your offense controls time of possesion instead of going 3 and out. Look at the teams in the playoffs and grade their OL:
New Orleans(A+)
Dallas(A)
Baltimore(A)
Indy(A-)
Minnesota(A-)
San Diego(B)
Arizona(C+)
NY Jets(B+)

I think the Chiefs need to use at least 1 of their first 3 picks to get OL help. They probably would need to bring at least 1 more OL through FA if they only draft 1 in the first 3 rounds. I really hope they don't ignore the OL this off-season as well.

oregonchieffan58
01-13-2010, 11:16 PM
What about TE Jermaine Gresham from Oklahoma, give Cassell a weapon at TE to help... sure miss the presence of a quality TE

MDChiefs!
01-13-2010, 11:44 PM
When you build an offense or defense you start up front. Which is exactly why we drafted Dorsey, Albert and Tyson Jackson the last 2 years in the draft...because we need to set the foundation for our team, and without the foundation laid, you have nothing to build on...and because as we all know if the front lines of your offense or defense arent working right, its hard for everyone else to do what they need to do...it always starts in the trenches

Fansincebirth
01-14-2010, 12:11 AM
We have got to get off the Wilfork wagon.
I know we all saw the wonderful job he did against the jets.

We seem to all agree that we need upgrade at NT. I would prefer to make more of an upgrade than Wilfork.

Wilfork in 2009 31 solo tackles 0 sacks
Edwards in 2009 24 solo tackles 0 sacks

Wilfork is the top rated FA NT/DT mayby we need to think about drafting somebody. Oh yea Raji was top NT last year in draft.

Raji in 2009 19 solo tackles 1 sacks

So mayby we just let Romeo coach up Edwards for another year and go after Brandon Mebane next year when he becomes a free agent and cant wait to get away from Pete Carrol. Who is the #5 ranked DT/NT in the league for 2009 with 40 solo tackles and 1.5 sacks.
We could also look to do a trade with Buffalo, they are deep in good DT's, and have may other needs to fill. We could give them someone who we are not happy with but may be a good upgrade for them. Player and late draft pick, or just a mid second round pick. What im getting at is there are alot of options out there. But I dont think that Wilfork is one of them.

Fansincebirth
01-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Got to say, these are the best evaluations of the Chiefs and players I have seen in the last 62 days

Congrats to all

PS: wasn't refering to my own.

yashi
01-14-2010, 07:48 AM

We seem to all agree that we need upgrade at NT. I would prefer to make more of an upgrade than Wilfork.

Wilfork is the top rated FA NT/DT mayby we need to think about drafting somebody. Oh yea Raji was top NT last year in draft.

So mayby we just let Romeo coach up Edwards for another year and go after Brandon Mebane next year when he becomes a free agent and cant wait to get away from Pete Carrol. Who is the #5 ranked DT/NT in the league for 2009 with 40 solo tackles and 1.5 sacks.
We could also look to do a trade with Buffalo, they are deep in good DT's, and have may other needs to fill. We could give them someone who we are not happy with but may be a good upgrade for them. Player and late draft pick, or just a mid second round pick. What im getting at is there are alot of options out there. But I dont think that Wilfork is one of them.

Are you really rating nose tackles by their stats? NTs command double teams, and if they do it well then it frees up a LB to make a play. If they don't, then the LB gets a 320 lb. G in his face. Tackles and sacks for a nose tackle are more or less a worthless stat to even look at.

The Patriots have been running the 4-3 this year, so Wilfork is not playing the same position he has his entire career. He is an elite 34 NT in every way.

Chief Tyler
01-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Are you really rating nose tackles by their stats? NTs command double teams, and if they do it well then it frees up a LB to make a play. If they don't, then the LB gets a 320 lb. G in his face. Tackles and sacks for a nose tackle are more or less a worthless stat to even look at.

The Patriots have been running the 4-3 this year, so Wilfork is not playing the same position he has his entire career. He is an elite 34 NT in every way.

^
/thread

The only NT that I might consider over Wilfork if I was given the choice of any in the league is Ngata. But I'd probably lean towards Wilfork.

Hayvern
01-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Offensive Line, Offensive Line, Offensive Line. Yeah, defense needs some work, but I agree with coach. You give the defense some rest and they will play better. The only way to do that is to get the offense controlling the game.

We have a high-priced young quarterback here that we have to protect, we need offensive line players and you do not get them through free agency.

yashi
01-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Offensive Line, Offensive Line, Offensive Line. Yeah, defense needs some work, but I agree with coach. You give the defense some rest and they will play better. The only way to do that is to get the offense controlling the game.

We have a high-priced young quarterback here that we have to protect, we need offensive line players and you do not get them through free agency.

The defense was getting plenty of rest in the 2nd half of the season when Charles was tearing it up, and they were still terrible. The offensive line also improved dramatically as the season progressed.

I guess I don't think the offensive line is as much of a need as some do. Sure adding an elite LT and moving Albert inside would probably improve things a bit, but how much? Albert played great down the stretch, and Wade Smith was awesome at RG.

Chiefster
01-14-2010, 11:52 AM
I still think that we need to address the offensive line; for obvious reasons JMHO.

jason1981
01-14-2010, 01:17 PM
O-line is important to improve this year but i dont think it calls for a #5 pick in the draft. I want defense with the #5 at the least. then o-line we can use wiht one of the 2 2nd round picks we have.

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-14-2010, 02:37 PM
In my opinion, our needs are ranked as follows:

1. Offensive line. this can be addressed in free agency, as long as it is a top free agent, and not a project. It can be addressed at the #5 pick, then move Albert to the right side. However, we need a new center above all else.

2. Wide receiver. regardless of re-signing Chambers, who is a band-aid, we need a legit #1 or #2 receiver. Dez Bryant would be great, because we could move Bowe to #2. we could also pick up Breaston in free agency or draft Tate in the second round if he falls.

3. Middle linebacker. Rolando McClain is looking better and better to me with our first pick. Watching this kid in interviews, he just seems like the perfect worker - focused, genuine, and motivated. He could be a solid anchor for ten years or more.

4. Nose tackle. ron edwards keeps winning the starting job, but that doesn't mean we should settle on him. A huge space eater like Dan Williams could make a big difference for our middle linebackers, and we might be able to snag him in the third round.

These are the order of importance for our team, but not necessarily the order of importance for getting more wins. I am sure that defense would get us wins faster, but I put offensive line and wide receiver higher, because they greatly affect the development of Matt Cassel, which I think is more of a big-picture strategy.

If they are really happy with Albert at left tackle, then we could take Berry or McClain at #5. If we got a center in free agency, the second round could net us a wide receiver and either a safety or MLB, depending on which we still need.

The third round we should be able to grab a top guard, and then I think we'll be looking at a VERY different '10 season.

Chiefster
01-14-2010, 02:49 PM

1. Offensive line. this can be addressed in free agency, as long as it is a top free agent, and not a project. It can be addressed at the #5 pick, then move Albert to the right side. However, we need a new center above all else.

2. Wide receiver. regardless of re-signing Chambers, who is a band-aid, we need a legit #1 or #2 receiver. Dez Bryant would be great, because we could move Bowe to #2. we could also pick up Breaston in free agency or draft Tate in the second round if he falls.

3. Middle linebacker. Rolando McClain is looking better and better to me with our first pick. Watching this kid in interviews, he just seems like the perfect worker - focused, genuine, and motivated. He could be a solid anchor for ten years or more.

4. Nose tackle. ron edwards keeps winning the starting job, but that doesn't mean we should settle on him. A huge space eater like Dan Williams could make a big difference for our middle linebackers, and we might be able to snag him in the third round.

These are the order of importance for our team, but not necessarily the order of importance for getting more wins. I am sure that defense would get us wins faster, but I put offensive line and wide receiver higher, because they greatly affect the development of Matt Cassel, which I think is more of a big-picture strategy.

If they are really happy with Albert at left tackle, then we could take Berry or McClain at #5. If we got a center in free agency, the second round could net us a wide receiver and either a safety or MLB, depending on which we still need.

The third round we should be able to grab a top guard, and then I think we'll be looking at a VERY different '10 season.

Agreed!

Good post!

Did you get my PM?

pbatrucker
01-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Dan Williams will be drafted in the 1st rd.

yashi
01-14-2010, 03:51 PM
I think Williams will be the first NT taken. Some teams may be turned off by Cody and who knows, if he's there in the 2nd I don't think we have any choice but to take him.

KottkeKU
01-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Berry at no.5
Williams with our first 2nd rounder (long shot, but possible)
OL with our second 2nd rounder
LB
WR
TE
RB

Playoffs

kcred
01-14-2010, 06:11 PM
You can't go offensive first. How many times could the defense not stop the run or not stop the third Downs. The defense. Made quarterbacks look. Like all pros with career passing games. Get. Upgrade the wide reciever platoon thru free agents and later draft pics that wont drop the ball. This will improve the offensive. We must upgrade the defense first. We also need a back up running back. We are very thin at that spot so a upgrade is needed.

pbatrucker
01-14-2010, 06:24 PM
I look for Miami or Pit to draft Williams. Look for SD to take Cody in the 1st rd. If SD doesn't take he would probably fall to us at 2a.

jason1981
01-14-2010, 06:29 PM
i want berry or Mclain at the #5 pick.

chief31
01-14-2010, 06:58 PM
The defense was getting plenty of rest in the 2nd half of the season when Charles was tearing it up, and they were still terrible. The offensive line also improved dramatically as the season progressed.

WEEK/OPP./T.O.P.

10_______Oak._____28:54
NFL Game Center: Kansas City Chiefs at Oakland Raiders - 2009 Week 10 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009111508/2009/REG10/chiefs@raiders#tab:analyze)
11_______Pit.______22:25
NFL Game Center: Pittsburgh Steelers at Kansas City Chiefs - 2009 Week 11 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009112205/2009/REG11/steelers@chiefs#tab:analyze)
12_______S.D._____24:40
NFL Game Center: Kansas City Chiefs at San Diego Chargers - 2009 Week 12 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009112909/2009/REG12/chiefs@chargers)
13_______Den._____24:05
NFL Game Center: Denver Broncos at Kansas City Chiefs - 2009 Week 13 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009120606/2009/REG13/broncos@chiefs#tab:analyze)
14_______Buf______29:26
NFL Game Center: Buffalo Bills at Kansas City Chiefs - 2009 Week 14 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009121306/2009/REG14/bills@chiefs#tab:analyze)
15_______Cle.______25:35
NFL Game Center: Cleveland Browns at Kansas City Chiefs - 2009 Week 15 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009122003/2009/REG15/browns@chiefs#tab:analyze)
16_______Cin.______26:08
NFL Game Center: Kansas City Chiefs at Cincinnati Bengals - 2009 Week 16 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009122701/2009/REG16/chiefs@bengals#tab:analyze)
17_______Den._____26:57
NFL Game Center: Kansas City Chiefs at Denver Broncos - 2009 Week 17 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010010312/2009/REG17/chiefs@broncos#tab:analyze)

208:10 Total T.O.P. for the last 8 games.

And, by comparison....

WEEK/OPP./T.O.P.

1_____Balt.____20:11
NFL Game Center: Kansas City Chiefs at Baltimore Ravens - 2009 Week 1 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009091301/2009/REG1/chiefs@ravens#tab:analyze)
2_____Oak.____38:39
NFL Game Center: Oakland Raiders at Kansas City Chiefs - 2009 Week 2 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009092004/2009/REG2/raiders@chiefs#tab:analyze)
3_____Phi._____29:25
NFL Game Center: Kansas City Chiefs at Philadelphia Eagles - 2009 Week 3 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009092706/2009/REG3/chiefs@eagles#tab:analyze)
4_____NYG____28:45
NFL Game Center: New York Giants at Kansas City Chiefs - 2009 Week 4 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009100405/2009/REG4/giants@chiefs#tab:analyze)
5_____Dal.____34:38
NFL Game Center: Dallas Cowboys at Kansas City Chiefs - 2009 Week 5 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009101104/2009/REG5/cowboys@chiefs#tab:analyze)
6_____Was.___37:10
NFL Game Center: Kansas City Chiefs at Washington Redskins - 2009 Week 6 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009101807/2009/REG6/chiefs@redskins#tab:analyze)
7_____S.D.____27:15
NFL Game Center: San Diego Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs - 2009 Week 7 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009102503/2009/REG7/chargers@chiefs#tab:analyze)
9________Jax.______23:47
NFL Game Center: Kansas City Chiefs at Jacksonville Jaguars - 2009 Week 9 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009110804/2009/REG9/chiefs@jaguars#tab:analyze)

239:50 Total T.O.P. for the first 8 games.

The numbers indicate that The Chiefs were better in T.O.P. during the first half of the season.

Therefore, the defense was actually on the field more through the second half of the season, than they were during the first half.

Although, one could take these numbers and just point to the defense as having been unable to get off the field.

chief31
01-14-2010, 07:11 PM
You can't go offensive first. How many times could the defense not stop the run or not stop the third Downs. The defense. Made quarterbacks look. Like all pros with career passing games. Get. Upgrade the wide reciever platoon thru free agents and later draft pics that wont drop the ball. This will improve the offensive. We must upgrade the defense first. We also need a back up running back. We are very thin at that spot so a upgrade is needed.

Not that I disagree that defense is probably gonna have to be the first priority, but you sound as if it is the only priority, other than to get a WR or two and a backup RB off the scrap heap.

Our o-line played pretty well for half of a season. And maybe they aren't AS BAD as suspected.

But they were far from ideal. And some upgrades would likely help this team immensely.

kcred
01-14-2010, 07:15 PM
You state guys, look at. Passing yds, rushing yds and third down convertions allowed by the defense each games. That will give a more accurate Gage about our defense. I find it astounding that you the fans can't see that the defense must be top priority this off season.

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-14-2010, 07:45 PM
The thread states that it should be a top priority this DRAFT, not OFFSEASON.

I think it is a top priority, sure, but we could sign Vince Wilfork, Kirk Morrison, and DJ Williams.

then it's not such a priority, is it?

In fact, can you imagine signing two of the big linebacker free agents and Vince Wilfork, then drafting eric berry?

Kirk Morrison
Thomas Howard
DJ Williams
Elvis Dumervil
Lofa Tatupu
Demeco Ryans
Demarcus Ware
Shawn Merriman
D'Qwell Jackson
James Harrison

Yeah, there are some really good linebackers available in free agency.

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Stephen Tulloch and Barrett Ruud, too. He was second in the NFL in tackles with 142 this year.

jap1
01-14-2010, 08:28 PM

I dont think you can judge a NT based on their statistics of tackles and sacks. Maybe tackles for loss. But NT arent supposed to be the ones making plays, they are supposed to be taking up blockers so others can make the plays. The numbers dont tell the whole story.

DC_Chiefsfan
01-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Come on, Vince Wilfork is not leaving. The Pats will not let him go. I really think Casey Hampton is the way to go. He's going to command a big salary with his recent play and the Steelers are notorious for not paying their talent much. At 32 he has a few years of good play left and could easily show a thing or two to a newly drafted NT like Williams or Cody.

Also, how about Dunta Robinson CB from Texas? He and flowers would shut corners down (then add Berry!)

And as for Brandon Marshall, if we have a shot to get him, you get him. He's incredibly talented and our head coach is a WR genius. Combine that with Weis' flare for an exciting offense and come on!

matthewschiefs
01-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Come on, Vince Wilfork is not leaving. The Pats will not let him go. I really think Casey Hampton is the way to go. He's going to command a big salary with his recent play and the Steelers are notorious for not paying their talent much. At 32 he has a few years of good play left and could easily show a thing or two to a newly drafted NT like Williams or Cody.

Also, how about Dunta Robinson CB from Texas? He and flowers would shut corners down (then add Berry!)

And as for Brandon Marshall, if we have a shot to get him, you get him. He's incredibly talented and our head coach is a WR genius. Combine that with Weis' flare for an exciting offense and come on!

Marshall would be nice he has alot of talent. The thing is can the Chiefs make him happy. They better be sure they can before they sign him. It might be a selling point that he will be able to play denver and stick it to Mcdanels twice a year. I just hope they no that they can keep him happy before they even think about signing him.

kcred
01-14-2010, 09:17 PM
All very good. Points on both sides of the ball. chiefs fans are the best. You can make a case for both sides. Can't wait to see how it all plays out. Keep bringing the strong threads. It makes the off season fun. Kc red

jason1981
01-14-2010, 09:22 PM
off all the years this has to be the time there may be an uncapped year. is it just our luck or what. I hope they get it worked out so we can have a capped year and have free agency.

Coach
01-14-2010, 09:28 PM

Excellent post!

i want berry or Mclain at the #5 pick.

Today, I am in the same camp. First round McClain or Berry, whomever is left. 2nd round spend one of the two picks on the best OL player on the board.

I'm sure I will change my mind by tomorrow tho.

matthewschiefs
01-14-2010, 11:17 PM
off all the years this has to be the time there may be an uncapped year. is it just our luck or what. I hope they get it worked out so we can have a capped year and have free agency.

It doesnt look good for a cap this year but like you I hope they can somehow get toget and get a deal done. IF nothing eles I would hate to go 2011 without football I would go crazy.

jason1981
01-15-2010, 12:23 AM
i just hope there smart and know that CBA has to be done this year for the future of the NFL. I think it will hurt everyone involved to much if theres not. i have hope for that reason they will get it done.

josh1971
01-15-2010, 12:31 AM
It doesnt look good for a cap this year but like you I hope they can somehow get toget and get a deal done. IF nothing eles I would hate to go 2011 without football I would go crazy.

Yes- a year without NFL football is not a year.

endzonewillie
01-15-2010, 07:33 AM
I am sure that all of you that posted are in tune with one another. I read through the first 2 pages and see alot of Defensive needs which are valid however, our Oline is in need to the tune of our first pick in the up coming draft. We have already invested in a QB that we need to protect and with Goff going down at RG it would mean that not only do we need a RT but also a RG. I see Pili and Haley looking for help in the FA area for one if not both but we also need to draft one of the 2 prefer RG before RT since we already have Richardson at Tackle who is a 4th year player. It is incredible that I also still see people asking for a RB to be drafted after JC raised our rushing O from pretty much dead last to inside the top 10 of the league. If we pick anything I would say WR but would take S or NT ahead of either RB or WR. With all of this said here is my order of importance,
1.OLine
2.NT
3.S
4.CB
5.WR
6.RB
7.LB (Either outside or Middle)
We will need to have multiple LBs with the defenses we will be looking to use.

DC_Chiefsfan
01-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Pioli drafts for positional value over need value, and watching highlights really shows that Okung and Davis really are not that far ahead of the rest of the OL class in the draft. OL at no. 5 pick is too much money for a guy who you could get equal play out of in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (Ciron Black and Jason Fox (and dark horse Sam Young who I like since he's worked with Weis so much))

Now when you have guys like Berry and McClain who fill both the positional value and need value positions, it's hard to pass them up. And McClain is in a class by himself this draft at LB. Adding him to the team would compile a nice young stock of LB for the future. Berry is the best safety, but Mays and the kid from Texas aren't really that far behind.

endzonewillie
01-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Pioli drafts for positional value over need value, and watching highlights really shows that Okung and Davis really are not that far ahead of the rest of the OL class in the draft. OL at no. 5 pick is too much money for a guy who you could get equal play out of in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (Ciron Black and Jason Fox (and dark horse Sam Young who I like since he's worked with Weis so much))

Now when you have guys like Berry and McClain who fill both the positional value and need value positions, it's hard to pass them up. And McClain is in a class by himself this draft at LB. Adding him to the team would compile a nice young stock of LB for the future. Berry is the best safety, but Mays and the kid from Texas aren't really that far behind.Thats all fine and good but, Scott Pioli has always had the luxary of having players on his team that could play. In New England the Pats had playersthat could play the game and they weren't as bad off as the Chiefs are at this point. The only schematic we have to go off of in the position a team is in as to what he will do in a debate with value vs need is last years draft and he basically chose what we needed over what the value was, however I felt that the value of who he chose was very decent. I look for him to do the same thing until he get past pick 3 which is in the second round this year. It all really depends on who is available at the time our pick comes up and nobody can predict that. I just know we are not in a position to be able to pick for the luxary of value over need right now and I believe that they are smart enough to know the difference.

kcred
01-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Very good evaluation of the ot. The tackles guards, wide outs, all grade out the same till you get past the top 110 prospects. This is the year to trade down.the value is I'm the 2nd & 3 rds. I would like to see trade out the #5 spot for a later first,second,and fight picks.
I would like to see the chiefs with 4 to 5. Second.round pics and 2 third rnd. Pics. Whether by player and or draft trades.
This years draft is all about. The 2&3. Rounds

CapitalT
01-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Without a doubt the defense needs improvement in personnel but what really hurt us on defense were big plays. I think the reason for that is as much coaching and strategy as it is personnel.

IMO, NFL teams start and end with an offensive line. All the good chief teams of old had a good to great offensive line.

To me (like my buddy HeyVern) there is no question, we should draft the best offensive lineman available first.

texaschief
01-15-2010, 10:25 PM
1-McClain
2a-OLB (Kindle if he's available)
2b-NT
5b-S (Rolle)

That leaves our defense set for the foreseeable future.

CB-Flowers, Carr
S- Page, Rolle
LBs- Hali, DJ, McClain, Kindle
DL- TJ, 2b, Dorsey

Done.

Focus all your FA money on offense and all your top draft picks on defense.

DC_Chiefsfan
01-15-2010, 10:56 PM
I like those picks, but you do have to sprinkle in some offense. Maybe:

1-McClain Bama
2a-best available LT (and there will be some damn good LTs here)
2b-ILB
3-WR
4-TE/S/NT
5a-CB
5b-OT (Sam young?)

I think these picks along with a well managed Free Agency period (WR/C/NT) would equal a non-losing season with the talent we have and our new coaching staff.

MDChiefs!
01-15-2010, 11:27 PM
LeRon McClain ILB
Dan WIlliams NT
Jon Asamoah OG

:)

Pro_Angler
01-16-2010, 12:36 AM
wow no one is saying FB we need another Richards type FB!!!!

Chiefster
01-16-2010, 01:02 AM

Good point!

Hayvern
01-16-2010, 03:48 AM
I am not saying that OL needs to be handled in the draft, but it HAS to be handled. I do not think we will be able to address our needs through trades for sure, we might be able to do it through free agency NOW with the hiring or Weis, but before that we could not lure a good players here.

Aside from Waters and Albert, we largely had an offensive line made up of 22 players off the street. I do not believe we need a NT as much as everyone else does, I am not looking for a nose tackle that gets 12 sacks per season.

I also do not believe we need to replace Dorsey or Jackson, I have never been a huge fan, but hey, if you are going to give Haley two seasons to prove himself, then you need to give that to Jackson as well no?

Linebacker is a key position and if we were to get a stud linebacker, I would not cry about it. I have some concern as to whether there is an offensive lineman out there worth taking at 5 overall, if there is, then he should be our selection this year.

Anyone who suggests drafting defensive linemen really need to get their head examined, we have done this over and over and over again the last few seasons, if these guys are all busts, then seriously, it is time to try free agency or someother way to get that player.

First Round, offensive lineman or linebacker
Second Round, Safety and/or Wide Receiver
Third Round, runningback

That is what I would be going for.

hometeam
01-16-2010, 10:14 AM

I think you know Haley/Weiss system does not use a blocking fullback like Richardson, though, I was just talking about the Jets #1 rushing to a friend the other day, and lo and behold the great Tony Richardson at fullback for the Jets~

FB is something that can be handled in FA, or not at all, super low on the list of what should be drafted, especially when you are talking about players that are going to make an impact right away.

MDChiefs!
01-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Mike Cox hasnt been doing that bad of a job...he has pretty solid hands too. I think were ok there

texaschief
01-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Mike Cox hasnt been doing that bad of a job...he has pretty solid hands too. I think were ok there

+1. Mike Cox is everything we need in a fullback.

luv
01-16-2010, 07:11 PM

Not sure if it's been said or not, but I think a good, servicable offensive lineman can be found in the second round. First round, you have to take BPA.

jap1
01-16-2010, 07:50 PM
1-McClain
2a-OLB (Kindle if he's available)
2b-NT
5b-S (Rolle)

That leaves our defense set for the foreseeable future.

CB-Flowers, Carr
S- Page, Rolle
LBs- Hali, DJ, McClain, Kindle
DL- TJ, 2b, Dorsey

Done.

Focus all your FA money on offense and all your top draft picks on defense.

On paper, the LBs you have sound like a great idea. However, I am worried about having 3 LBs with very little experience in the NFL. You have to remember, an OLB in a 3-4 doesnt blitz on every play. They have to be able to drop back into pass coverage. Hali is basically going into his 2nd yr as an OLB, and one of his weaknesses is pass coverage. McClain would be a rookie, but he has played in a 3-4 in college. Kindle would be a rookie who played DE in a 4-3 in college. That would be a very inexperienced group. Between those 3, they have a total of 1 yr of experience as an NFL 3-4 LB.

I think I want a little more experience in the starting roles ... at least at the OLB position.

I wouldnt object to McClain, not sure I want to gamble on teaching Kindle to read the QB and drop back into a zone. Id rather see that pick used on what would probably be the best G or C in the draft.

Also, I dont think you can pencil in Rolle right away. I think he has the potential to be a dominant safety. However, he has spent the last year at Oxford. He will need some time to get back into football shape, physically and mentally. Not to mention, I doubt he will leave Oxford before the program finishes which would be in June ... after a lot of the minicamps and OTAs are finished.

What I would like to see:
1- McClain (hopefully after trading down to get extra picks ... I can wish, cant I)
2a- OG (Mike Iupati)
2b- NT
3- Jordan Shipley
4- OC
5a- Myron Rolle
5b,c,6 - BPA look for bigger RBs, some depth at DB, OL, DL

With that draft, both our D and O improve significantly. We get some more RB on the R side, and we get an improvement in our LB corps.

DC_Chiefsfan
01-17-2010, 11:17 AM
There is no offensive player (sans qb) worth a top 10 pick this draft. For some reason I see claussen available at 5 and we trade down to the 7 spot (and pick up a 2nd round since they have an extra pick via the kellen winslow trade) with cleveland so they can get claussen before the seahawks. And with the 7th selection, we pick up McClain.

My mock top 10:

Rams- Suh
Lions - Okung
Bucs- Gerald McCoy
Skins- Bradford
Browns- Claussen
Hawks- Berry
Chiefs- McClain
Raiders - Anthony Davis
Bills - Bruce Campbell
Donkeys - Mays

KottkeKU
01-17-2010, 02:32 PM
no way we trade out of an Eric Berry marriage. I want him as a Chief. Although i can see us trading down if Claussen is available and Berry has already been selected. We can trade down and get an equally as good O-Lineman as Okung in the middle of the 1st round.

Coach
01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
There is no offensive player (sans qb) worth a top 10 pick this draft. For some reason I see claussen available at 5 and we trade down to the 7 spot (and pick up a 2nd round since they have an extra pick via the kellen winslow trade) with cleveland so they can get claussen before the seahawks. And with the 7th selection, we pick up McClain.

My mock top 10:

Rams- Suh
Lions - Okung
Bucs- Gerald McCoy
Skins- Bradford
Browns- Claussen
Hawks- Berry
Chiefs- McClain
Raiders - Anthony Davis
Bills - Bruce Campbell
Donkeys - Mays

Not trying to beat up on your mock, but I just don't see how the Rams can pass on a franchise QB even if Spagnola is a defensive guy. The closer we get to the draft, the more these QB's will be talked about. The Rams spent money on a franchise LT last year, this year they will get their centerpiece. I mean does anyone really believe that Bulger is the answer. And more importantly, do you really think Bulger will even be a Ram in 2010 (http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/round-two/round-two/2010/01/the-future-of-marc-bulger/).

Source: NBCSPORTS.com

But let's think realistic for a moment. According to NFLPA records, Bulger's base salary will be $8.5 million in 2010. The following year, it moves to $9 million. It stays there for 2012, before spiking to $11.5 million in 2013, the final year of the contract.

With no salary cap in 2010 (assuming no extension to the CBA), there will be no consequence to cutting Bulger. So unless he's willing to take a huge pay cut, it's likely if not certain that he'll be gone.

It makes sense. Since Bulger got his big-money deal, the Rams have added a new G.M. and a new head coach. It's now time for them to get a new starting quarterback.

I'm not going to say that the Lions won't take a LT, but I live in Detroit and I can say that it seems unlikely based on what the coaches and fans are saying. I have read here and other places many times that people don't feel that there is an OL worth our #5 pick, much less the #2 pick. So based on what I've read and the Lions fans that I talk to everyday, I just don't see how they pass up on Suh. But who knows, it is the Lions and they do have an injured franchise QB they need to protect. I just think they address it in the 2nd round.

My mock has:
Rams - Clausen #1
Lions - Suh #2
Bucs - McCoy #3
Skins - Bradford #4
Chiefs - McClain #5

I think the Redskins are the biggest wildcard. I would not be surprised at all to see them not draft a QB.

I think the Chiefs will take the best Offensive player on the board in the 2nd(OL or WR). Crennel gets first round pick, Weis gets 2nd, and possibly both 2nd's.

DC_Chiefsfan
01-18-2010, 12:41 AM
The Rams can address the qb situation via free agency, like mike vick, jason campbell or donnie mac. I think they'll fill the void that way so they can get suh. As much as stafford hit the ground last year the lions really have no choice but to invest in an LT. He was put on IR last year. You HAVE to get a LT. And they will. And there's no way the skins don't draft a qb, unless okung is available. I see them taking bradford or okung, no other options.

Chiefster
01-18-2010, 01:32 AM
Not sure if it's been said or not, but I think a good, servicable offensive lineman can be found in the second round. First round, you have to take BPA.

Seems to me that was kinda the train of thought last year at this point; didn't work out too well IMO.

Hayvern
01-18-2010, 01:49 AM

Yeah, we have done that in the past. Tyson Jackson was BPA last year apparently.

We'll see, there are a lot of things that can happen.

jap1
01-18-2010, 03:23 AM
Yeah, we have done that in the past. Tyson Jackson was BPA last year apparently.

We'll see, there are a lot of things that can happen.

I dont think we went BPA last year. Talent-wise, there were plenty of people still on the board when we picked. I think they went with the best player that filled a big need. We had a huge need for a 3-4 DE (i.e. we didnt have any true 3-4 DEs), and he was the best 3-4 end. He probably would not have been there in the 2nd Round.

Coach
01-18-2010, 03:52 PM
He probably would not have been there in the 2nd Round.

Nor did we have a 2nd round pick.

Pro_Angler
01-18-2010, 10:56 PM

My mock top 10:

Rams- Suh
Lions - Okung
Bucs- Gerald McCoy
Skins- Bradford
Browns- Claussen
Hawks- Berry
Chiefs- McClain
Raiders - Anthony Davis
Bills - Bruce Campbell
Donkeys - Mays

Or maybe seattle trades up to us we get thier 2 1sts and we give them a 2nd..

yashi
01-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Or maybe seattle trades up to us we get thier 2 1sts and we give them a 2nd..

Why would they give up 2 1sts to move up 1 spot? Presumably they'd do this to get a quarterback, but they know there's no chance of us taking a QB.

jason1981
01-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Why would they give up 2 1sts to move up 1 spot? Presumably they'd do this to get a quarterback, but they know there's no chance of us taking a QB.

they trade with us so no one else trades up to our spot. I believe what what happened a while back when we got john tait or DT one year we tade down one spot. They just trade to insure someone elose dont trade to our spot.

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Seattle needs a left tackle every bit as much as a quarterback.

they could trade up with the Skins to take Okung ahead of us.

personally, I think st. louis is taking Suh. He's clearly the best player in the draft. they had atrocious run defense this season, and they need help for chris long to develop.

the only reason I say that, is because they won't find Okung worthy of the overall pick. But remember - they had Orlando Pace. they know how valuable a left tackle is. their woes have directly coincided with his decline.

in my opinion, it could easily go:

St Louis - okung
detroit - Suh
tampa bay - berry
washington - clausen
chiefs - mcclain

the problem with mocking out the top five picks this year (and most) is that all five teams are horrible and need MULTIPLE positions. Only two of the top five teams this year have their quarterbacks in place.

all five could conceivably draft a left tackle.
3 teams could take a quarterback.
4 could take a safety.
4 could take a defensive tackle (KC is the odd man out, purely because of money).
all need a better pass rush.
all need better blocking.

Pro_Angler
01-20-2010, 01:20 AM
I knew we beatring the donks in a meaningless game was gonna screw us and it did..

Connie Jo
01-20-2010, 02:56 AM
I knew we beatring the donks in a meaningless game was gonna screw us and it did..

I don't think so. I can't resolve myself to feeling right about throwing a game for a draft pick. Any way I look at it...it's cheating, acceptable or not. It would've come back to haunt us one way or another.

I believe we gained far more from beating the Donkey's than not.

Hell, consider this...

1) We contributed to the Donk's NOT securing a Wild Card spot...and by a wide point spread no less! HA!
2) A heated & disrespectful disagreement (according to news sources) resulted from Denver's loss to the Chiefs between their HC & DC...which led to Nolan submitting his resignation. That in itself is far more worthy than a draft pick, as it stands now, all considered.
3) We ended the season playing the best game of 16, and against a division rival...of which gave fans much needed hope for 2010. This hope will encourage fans to attend home games at the start of the new season, as a result will increase the effect of the 12th man against opposing teams.
4) Two of our players established franchise and NFL records (tied).
5) We broke our 10 yr losing streak at Mile High...removing a possible pyschological jinx effect among players when we play there this Fall again.
6) The team (& fans) were given a much needed booster shot of moral, and proved that even as underdogs they can win when they give it their best effort.
7) Lastly...Kid Azteca is MIA at Chiefs Crowd! LOL Bronco's fans overall are very humbled right now I would assume. Ain't it sweeeeeeeeet!!!
:yahoo:

Okay, my listing work on Ebay is done for the night...time for Chiefs Lombardi Trophy sweet dreams. :D

Ryfo18
01-20-2010, 03:31 AM
I don't see why the Rams take a QBeither. They had a horrendous run D and I'll bet they go Suh. Besides, all they need at QB is someone to hand the ball to Jackson. I see them searching for a free agent to fill the need, as someone mentioned earlier. I could see the Lions then taking Berry bc of their atrocious Pass D. Most likely Okung ends up with us, unless we find a suitable trade partner.

chief31
01-20-2010, 03:40 AM
I don't see why the Rams take a QBeither. They had a horrendous run D and I'll bet they go Suh. Besides, all they need at QB is someone to hand the ball to Jackson. I see them searching for a free agent to fill the need, as someone mentioned earlier. I could see the Lions then taking Berry bc of their atrocious Pass D. Most likely Okung ends up with us, unless we find a suitable trade partner.

Last years draft convinced me that we have no problems with devaluing our draft position, for what management wants.

And I bet they are feeling good about our LOT situation, and will pass on Okung top take someone else. Ragardless of how high ranked that player may be.

jason1981
01-20-2010, 01:32 PM
im willing to bet we go defense. I think Haley is OK with Albert at LT. We will get a RG or RT through later rounds. Im not saying later rounds, just not the 1st pick.

jap1
01-20-2010, 04:23 PM
im willing to bet we go defense. I think Haley is OK with Albert at LT. We will get a RG or RT through later rounds. Im not saying later rounds, just not the 1st pick.

I have heard that this year there are no real great LTs that should be considered possible first pick of the draft, but there are a lot of really good tackles to be had in the 2nd round that would probably end up to be great RTs.

There are also some decent guards that may fall to the beginning of the 2nd round.

Ryfo18
01-20-2010, 04:35 PM
EDIT: I was trying to post a new topic and accidentally was replying to this, sorry!

Boobcrack
01-22-2010, 07:41 PM
I would love the Chiefs to take McClain. The last time we drafted a stud LB from 'Bama we ended up with a HOFer.

dse2010
01-22-2010, 10:08 PM
No Berry. Chad Jones is such a better value. Can probably get him round two and he may even end up being a better player in the long run. Plus he's huge. Berry isn't that big.

1st - McClain
2nd - Jones

fairladyZ
01-23-2010, 02:42 AM
Kyle Wilson, CB, BSU

Could be best steal in the draft if he is available in the 3rd round.

Scouting report
Kyle Wilson | Boise State Scouting Report - 2010 NFL Draft Prospect (http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/CB/Kyle-Wilson.php)

Videos show some good highlights of his abilities and skills, bad language in videos

http://www.y*utube.com/watch?v=6MfSrrGZU2k
Kyle Wilson 11 Career INTs at Boise State

http://www.y*utube.com/watch?v=S-d2C-9x6gA
Kyle Wilson, Boise State vs. #7 Freddie Barnes, Bowling Green

#1 Punt Returner in the Nation (2008)
http://www.y*utube.com/watch?v=fUwj7JemkC4

replace * with o

fairladyZ
01-26-2010, 04:31 AM
little snip from the mayock article on todays drills for senior bowl.

Stock up

Kyle Wilson, Boise State, CB
The diminutive cover man showed outstanding footwork and movement skills during drills. Wilson's ability to flip, turn and close was impressive, and his natural ball skills stood out in coverage. Although he lacks the prototypical height (five-foot-10) that some teams covet, his cover skills have scouts buzzing about his potential as a future starter.

Mayock currently has him as the #2 corner coming into the draft. Another scouting site has him listed as what they believe to be a future franchise corner back.

pbatrucker
01-26-2010, 04:43 AM
I was watching the NFL network yesterday. Wilson was by far the best CB.

yashi
01-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Yeah, Wilson's stock is going to skyrocket. Count on that. 2nd rounder at worst when it's all over. It sucks because I had him mocked to us in like the 4th round weeks ago.

fairladyZ
01-26-2010, 01:13 PM
ya i was hoping we could steal him in the 3rd but looks like he might even move up to late first round!.

DANG IT!

i would almost say use our 2a pick on him. I really think the kid is going to be a monster in the NFL. 2 shutdown corners with flowers and wilson, plus he is a very good punt returner.

fairladyZ
01-28-2010, 01:19 AM
–Kyle Wilson (Boise State) had another impressive day and I think it is safe to say he is the best senior cornerback in this class. While he is not a big guy, he was just killing receivers at the line with his press coverage. He made Donald Jones look silly in the one-on-one drill which resulted in Canfield not even throwing the ball because of how bad Wilson roughed him up.

BAH i want him to slip to us not keep moving up the draft boards!!!!

matthewschiefs
01-28-2010, 02:23 PM
ya i was hoping we could steal him in the 3rd but looks like he might even move up to late first round!.

DANG IT!

i would almost say use our 2a pick on him. I really think the kid is going to be a monster in the NFL. 2 shutdown corners with flowers and wilson, plus he is a very good punt returner.

We do have that extra 2nd round pick from the Tony G trade maybe if he does move up to the late first round we could trade up to get him. I Think he might be a good player to go along with flowers.

pbatrucker
01-28-2010, 02:55 PM
We do have that extra 2nd round pick from the Tony G trade maybe if he does move up to the late first round we could trade up to get him. I Think he might be a good player to go along with flowers.
IMO we have too many other needs to worry about a CB that early in the draft.

sammyboy909
01-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Pre-combine draft talk is always premature but I freakin love the draft so I don't care. My favorite draft scenario I have seen for us plays out as follows:

Round 1 pick 5: Russell Okung. this is the scenario if either St. Louis or Washington (or both) go with QB's (Clausen/Bradford), Suh gets grabbed as BPA by Detroit and the bucs take McCoy or Berry. This scenario is great for us as we get an elite athletic franchise LT who plays mean, and move Albert to his natural position at guard (although I admit his play dramatically improved in the second half of the season). If Washington takes Okung, or Seattle trades up to get him, and Berry is already off the board this is the worst case scenario. I would hop we take McClain at that point, but there is so much talent at LB in this freeagent class, and our most urgent needs on defense are at NT, safety, and improving the pass rush. Summary: first choice Okung, second Berry, third choice McClain. Predicted pick: Okung.

Round 2a (36 overall): Here is my fantasy wish list of guys who are probably late first round/early second round picks. In this order: Mike Iupati, Terrance Cody, Segio Kindle, Sean Weatherspoon, Maurkice Pouncey. Of these all will likely be taken except for possibly Cody (if he somehow falls past SD) or Pouncey. Desired pick: Terrance Cody. Predicted Pick: Maurkice Pouncey.

Round 2b (50 overall): Brandon Spikes or Taylor Mays. Either would be a potential steal at this pick.

fairladyZ
01-28-2010, 09:27 PM
we do have alot of other needs but brandon carr was exposed pretty bad in some games this year. Not to mention we need a Punt return/kick return guy really bad.
Kyle wilson sets us up with 2 shutdown corners, and a punt a very dangerous punt returner.
Now with 2 shutdown corners, brandon carr has enough size and speed to maybe become a pretty good free safety, just needs to work on tackling. Then we can pickup say Rolle, or Mays as a strong safety. Our secondary is set for MANY years to come.

Now take a couple late round picks, or some moves in FA for our LB's and a NT and our defense is scary!
not that this is my draft but lets say.

rd 1 = Rolondo McClain
rd 2a = Kyle wilson
rd 2b = BPA for OL or BPA for safety. I think Rolle is expected for 3rd round though?

We are another OLB to replace vrabel, and a NT away from being a nasty stout defense

DC_Chiefsfan
01-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Okung is good, not elite. Our team would benefit much more from real elite talent like McClain or Berry.