PDA

View Full Version : Rate Pioli's 1st year on the job

Coach
01-14-2010, 10:13 PM
The 1st year under Pioli is complete. THe Chiefs obviously had a very tough season in 2009, but here is a partial list of his achievements.

1. Fired Herm Edwards
2. Hired Todd Haley
3. Brought in Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weiss
4. Continually searched the waiver wire to bring in players during the season including Chris Chambers.
5. Cut LJ
6. Traded Gonzo for 2nd round pick

I am thrilled with what he has accomplished in only 1 year with the Chiefs.

Great job Scott!

KottkeKU
01-14-2010, 10:46 PM
i pretty much like everything he did except trade TG (although some ay speculate that was more Tony's wish than Pioli's doing...)

other than that, this year's struggles were to be expected to me. He certainly hasnt made any grave mistakes like not re-signing the best DE in football and signing an a-whole runningback long term. If Carl wouldve given JA his money, maybe herm would still be here today....

with each passing day, i am more happy with Pioli. i like the Weiss and Crennel hirings. LOVE the Krumrie firing. heres to a changed defense in 2010 you can count on that....

and offensively, this team is only getting better. defensively we need some work. big time...

honda522
01-14-2010, 10:54 PM
It would have been between neutral/disappointed if Wies and Crennel hadn't been added. But thats on Haley's part. I voted thrilled because of the new addition of Crennel and Wies.

CapitalT
01-14-2010, 11:04 PM
I was a bit disappointed but overall I'm optimistic about Pioli. Perhaps it's semantics, but I don't think I would include the Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weiss acquisitions (which I think are great!) in his first year since it came after his first season.

I think with Weiss and Crennel, Haley will have the support he needs to succeed and flourish into a great coach.

matthewschiefs
01-14-2010, 11:13 PM
I dont think I could be happier with what he did in his first year. I was in love with him from the moment he told herm edwards to hit the road. We might have only won 4 games this season but I think now for the first time in a long time this team is truley going in the right direction. Thank You Scott Pioli.

hayden2004
01-14-2010, 11:24 PM
just as long as they sign some good players not people like mike brown ill be happy

Chiefster
01-15-2010, 01:21 AM
Neutral.

Just because it's only been his first year with the Chiefs.

AussieChiefsFan
01-15-2010, 01:38 AM
Neutral.

Just because it's only been his first year with the Chiefs.

I voted Neutrel too.

tornadospotter
01-15-2010, 01:39 AM
I voted disappointed, But only because, my expectations are always high! I fully expected to have more wins this year than we had. Yes rebuilding takes time, but then again I am tired of rebuilding!
That said, I am going to give a break to Clark, Scott, and Todd, for this last season of pain. With the new changes, I will give them room for improvement, like 10 wins more or less. give or take, AFC West champs, plus more.
Then I might become happy! Until then, I will still be watching, and will always LOVE MY CHIEFS, and waiting for the GAME!

AussieChiefsFan
01-15-2010, 01:43 AM
I voted disappointed, But only because, my expectations are always high! I fully expected to have more wins this year than we had. Yes rebuilding takes time, but then again I am tired of rebuilding!
That said, I am going to give a break to Clark, Scott, and Todd, for this last season of pain. With the new changes, I will give them room for improvement, like 10 wins more or less. give or take, AFC West champs, plus more.
Then I might become happy! Until then, I will still be watching, and will always LOVE MY CHIEFS, and waiting for the GAME!

The will rise again one day! Next year I would like them to get a 8-8 record or better. that would be great!

Connie Jo
01-15-2010, 02:19 AM
The 1st year under Pioli is complete. THe Chiefs obviously had a very tough season in 2009, but here is a partial list of his achievements.

1. Fired Herm Edwards
2. Hired Todd Haley
4. Continually searched the waiver wire to bring in players during the season including Chris Chambers.
5. Cut LJ

Great job Scott!

I'm with you! Thrilled overall, and believe for the first time in a very long time...our Chiefs are on a positive road towards the playoffs and hopefully sooner rather than later, a Super Bowl!

AussieChiefsFan
01-15-2010, 04:50 AM
I'm with you! Thrilled overall, and believe for the first time in a very long time...our Chiefs are on a positive road towards the playoffs and hopefully sooner rather than later, a Super Bowl!

Chiefs in the SB! Best thing that could ever happen!

loyalchief91
01-15-2010, 06:32 AM
neutral

N TX Dave
01-15-2010, 08:48 AM
I said Happy. Pluses new coaches, bringing in new players all year, the players playing 60 minutes and never quitting on the field and moving in a positive direction. Negetives the big one is the record and the play of the defense.

honda522
01-15-2010, 09:15 AM
I think some people had too high of expectations.

pbatrucker
01-15-2010, 09:57 AM
The only time you're happy is when someone spikes your gerital.:D

yashi
01-15-2010, 10:12 AM
I voted happy, but I guess neutral probably would have been better. On the one hand, I'm really excited about the great coaching staff that has been assembled thanks to Pioli and Haley's history with these guys. But on the other hand, I still hate the '09 draft and we didn't land a single impact free agent in the offseason despite having a ton of cap space. Chambers was a great mid-season pickup though. So I'm somewhere in the middle, but with a pretty positive outlook on the future.

endzonewillie
01-15-2010, 12:31 PM
I am happy with the moves made so far but I wouldn't go so far as to say thrilled. The team was in very bad shape and still is to be honest. If they get to the playoffs next season after the addition of Weis and Crennel I will change the vote to thrilled.
To honda22:I would not say that Haley is 100% responsible for bringing those 2 coaches in as Pioli was also in New England while they were and Haley was not. They did spend time together under Parcells. I would say it is a shared value.

endzonewillie
01-15-2010, 12:36 PM
That happens quite often. Some people think the addition of one or two componants can change a team from total losers to champions and when a team has been ripped apart like this team was it takes time to rebuild.

pbatrucker
01-15-2010, 01:41 PM
I can't be thrilled until we find out how his 1st draft turns out. TJ finished the year with 38 tackles, a huge improvement over the 5 he had midway through the year. McGee has to get a lot stronger against the run. Washinton, who knows. Same with Brown. The RB Williams, well he didn't look to promising. We did get Succoup and Belcher, so not all is lost.

Canada
01-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Chiefs in the SB! Best thing that could ever happen!No, the Chiefs winning the SuperBowl is the best thing that could happen.

Canada
01-15-2010, 04:42 PM
I can't believe some people are still disappointed. What else can the gu do? I guess some people are just never satisfied, but if hiring Weis and Crennel don't get you excited then you should start watching golf or tennis.

CapitalT
01-15-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised that so many Chief's fans were thrilled after a 4 win season. Less than a 3rd so far have voted Neutral or disappointed.

I really hope we turn it around next year.

hometeam
01-15-2010, 05:25 PM
I voted nuetral. If you count what shappened since the end of the regular season thats a start, but overall we where not any better than last year with Herm at the helm, performance wise througout the season.

I base my opinion on this by the 8 games we lost by 7 points or less last year, and we really didnt have that many close games this year even though we won more games.

Also, I am not the slightest bit sold on Cassel, so the 60 million dollar contract looks pretty foolish to me until proven otherwise.

matthewschiefs
01-15-2010, 05:36 PM
I voted nuetral. If you count what shappened since the end of the regular season thats a start, but overall we where not any better than last year with Herm at the helm, performance wise througout the season.

I base my opinion on this by the 8 games we lost by 7 points or less last year, and we really didnt have that many close games this year even though we won more games.

Also, I am not the slightest bit sold on Cassel, so the 60 million dollar contract looks pretty foolish to me until proven otherwise.

I think at the end of the season we were much better then we were a year ago. We should have won our last 3 games of the season. Droped passes killed us. At the end of last season this team was going backwards. Getting not only beat but KILLED by the Bills. And the last game against the Bengals last year was a joke. This team looked to be takeing steps forward at the end of the year so i am thrilled with what I have seen.

Vandelay
01-15-2010, 06:13 PM
If I get spiked in the geritals I'm pissed. :D

TheLateGreat#58Fan
01-15-2010, 06:59 PM
One factor you have to consider with Pioli and Haley is this will be their first full off season. This may have played a factor in drafting and FA acquisitions. Pioli was scrambling to find a good coach and then the search for assistants-and then scout players etc.

I'm also kind of disappointed in the draft. As far sa Pioli's "first year" you have to be atleast positive, b/c he's working and making changes to improve this team. You coudnt be more happy with the coord. hirings.

Lets go Chiefs I look forward to a focused complete off season for this group

Connie Jo
01-15-2010, 08:07 PM

I haven't had high expectations since the 2005 season. I agree with you though, I think many did have too high of expectations for Pioli & Haley's first year. This, 2010... is the first season in 5 yrs I'll be entering with high expectations.

In reality, it's more a feeling of high hopes for me, rather than expectations. I tend to be more of a hopeful person than an expecting one, haha.

I get the feeling that there's been more re-building done in the last year than we may be aware of, or our eye has seen.

I'll enter the 2010 season with high hopes of making the playoffs...I figure it's been since 2005 I've felt that way, and it feels GREAT to have that feeling of excitement again, so I'm gonna enjoy it while I can, haha.

If we don't make the playoffs in 2010, oh well...at least I had the experience of knowing what it felt like again to be excited with hopes of playoffs months before being let down, haha.

GO CHIEFS!! AFC WEST DIVISION CHAMPS 2010!!
:yahoo:

KristofLaw
01-15-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm okay with the way the season has gone under Mr Pioli's direction thus far. I was one of those who had unrealistic goals I suppose, but I always do with the Chiefs.

I remain disappointed we couldn't get through our tough 6 game opening stretch and we didn't have a better W-L record as a result of this. But I also knew this season was part of an evaluation process which we remain a part of.

And in hindsight looking at the Broncos in particular, I think our plight this season looks far better than the developmental path in which they have taken. Every reason to be optimistic once more for this upcoming season. Definitely more so than last.

tornadospotter
01-15-2010, 10:35 PM
That never happens, Chiefster has cornered the market on little blue pills.:D

Hayvern
01-16-2010, 03:56 AM
I voted nuetral, I think I have more issue with how Lamar and Peterson handled the end of the season. I think the recent coach hirings were good, but I am really disappointed that we put together a makeshift team once again when there were options available.

I know, I know, people want to give him a pass because he was new and did not have a team together. I say that he is a football professional and should have had a better read on what was available out there. He WAS head of player personnel after all.

I know, I am pretty much a harda$$ on this, but geez man, it is your job, you should have an idea of what is available.

He gets a nuertral, now let's see what happens this season.

Canada
01-16-2010, 06:55 AM
I voted nuetral, I think I have more issue with how Lamar and Peterson handled the end of the season. I think the recent coach hirings were good, but I am really disappointed that we put together a makeshift team once again when there were options available.

I know, I know, people want to give him a pass because he was new and did not have a team together. I say that he is a football professional and should have had a better read on what was available out there. He WAS head of player personnel after all.

I know, I am pretty much a harda$$ on this, but geez man, it is your job, you should have an idea of what is available.

He gets a nuertral, now let's see what happens this season.

What options? Who were the big aquisitions to be had? His job was General Manager. NOt head of player personnel. And do you really think that while he was in the midst of another playoff run with the Pats, that he was thinking about the needs of the Kansas City Chiefs??

Seems to me like you are just reaching for anything to keep from getting your hopes up. The hiring of Romeo Crennel and Charlie Wies does not get you past neutral? These poor b@stards from the GM to the Coaching Staff to the players. They are just gonna get bagged on no matter what they do!! I could not be happier with what he has helped this team accomplish. Who gives a sh!t about wins and losses now. I care that we found out what guys on this team can do. See who is worth keeping and who needs to be gone. I like that he got us the best offensive and defensive coordinators in the league. To me that is better than signing a couple of old vets who may or may not have gotten us 2 more wins and set us back in talent evaluation. I like that there is a feelng of hope and excitement buzzing around Chiefs fans. Remember a year ago (give or tak) we still had Herm Edwards, we won 2 games, and CP was in his 20th year as GM. Look at us now....who else could have done that in a year?

Rome was not built in a day!! :bananen_smilies046:

70 chiefsfan70
01-16-2010, 07:45 AM
I voted dissapointed............

Probably should have fit neutral better.

I was very disappointed in the TG trade. You just don't trade your best and hardest working player,especially when you are building a team and your trade can't be used till the following year. Also he was by far the best mentour on the team. (sure he wanted traded, but he still gave his all, unlike 80% of the team)

The 2009 draft overall was a joke.

The firing of the good OC was plain stupid.
Has any of you all ever heard of a first year head coach not having an OC to help him out?

Play calling sucked mustard!

60 million dollar man was a mistake, Sure he had many drops, but many of those badly thrown balls. He was sacked more with Tom Bradys OL.

I know they stepped into a terrible situation,And in can't be fixed over night.
Its hard to be patient.

All the above tells me they didn't expect to win in 09. But use it to evaluate players. It however may prove to be the right thing to have done, time will tell.

I would rather have 1 more bad year and then be real competetive then to resume many years of many losses.

Sorry I had to vent.
Now for 2010 I see everything different.I am excited to see what they are doing. :yahoo:

I see us winning a bunch of games with these coaches in place. Cassel has less then 2 years of starts, and showed HUGE improvements all way round. He will be good, (not great)

Haley became a players coach in the last several games and I could see a difference in the players. He is still learning, and has shown big improvements.

Best of all Hunt Jr. has figured it out, it takes money to win!!!

Go CHIEFS!!!!

Have a seat, the train is rolling in the right direction!
We will see the playoffs in 2010!!!!! :bananen_smilies046::bananen_smilies046:

Coach
01-16-2010, 09:50 AM
I said Happy. Pluses new coaches, bringing in new players all year, the players playing 60 minutes and never quitting on the field and moving in a positive direction. Negetives the big one is the record and the play of the defense.

This poll relates to the performance of Pioli.

I'm pleasantly surprised that so many Chief's fans were thrilled after a 4 win season. Less than a 3rd so far have voted Neutral or disappointed.

I really hope we turn it around next year.

This poll relates to the performance of Pioli. He does not control the record, only how the team reacts to it by bringing in players off the street if current players arent getting it done. You could certainly slight Pioli for the players he drafted though.

I voted dissapointed............

Play calling sucked mustard!

This poll relates to the performance of Pioli.

wolfpack
01-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Weis and Crennel was added the 2nd year, not his first.
Pioli had a general idea of what he had in talent on the field. He knew he couldn`t do it in one year.
Saying this i didnt think he didnt address the huge amount of holes we had and lack of talent on this team. Maybe if we didn`t have any cap room but we had big amounts. We didnt have to go hog wild and sign level 1 players but all we ended up is with goff level.

CapitalT
01-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Didn't Pioli hire Haley?

NWA Chief
01-16-2010, 03:47 PM
I voted Happy because I'm not nuetral or disappointed by the job Pioli has done so far but we will soon see what Pioli is like without Belichek. He hired Haley, which I honestly believe has good intentions and grew as the season went on. People may say trading away Gonzo was an idiot move, but you don't want somebody that doesn't wanna be there, nor does Haley use TE's with TG's abilities. They are more blockers than anything. Due to Haley's hiring, the top notch assistants were already snatched up. He did what he could there, Pioli also had someone else's scouts for the draft, nearly a week after the draft he fired them. Pioli is getting comfortable in KC and made some tough decisions so far. I want to see how he does bringing in FA's to help this team. If he brings in a top notch Safety, Tackle, Nose Tackle or Wideout, I think we are going to be fine. If he brings one of ANY of those I think he can do the job for years to come.

chief31
01-16-2010, 03:58 PM
I voted Nuetral.

There have been some things that I ahve disliked. But then, there have been some moves that I do like.

Basically, I find it real difficult to place enough blame/credit on a GM, in only one year, to sway me. And what might have swayed me to the negative from last offseason has been countered with the coordinator hirings this offseason.

With a GM, you make decisions, then find out if they were good one's after a couple of years.

So far, some look like they will prove to be bad moves, and other look like they will prove to be good moves.

Canada
01-16-2010, 04:25 PM
What a depressing bunch. You guys would complain that SuperBowl trophy wasn't shiny enough when we win it.

luv
01-16-2010, 04:38 PM

1. Fired Herm Edwards
2. Hired Todd Haley
5. Cut LJ

Great job Scott!
1. Should have been a no brainer.
2. Waiting to see how that fans out. I'm not totally sold on him yet. Reserving judgement for another season or two.
3. I'm excited about this. Very excited. Expecting good things.
4. Chris Chambers - good. Bobby "Fair Catch" Wade - eh.
5. Absolutely the best decision made all year.
6. Was sorry to see Tony go, but I honestly think it was the best thing for the team.

Another thing is that he seems to make the best decisions for the team that he can regardless of fan feedback. There are some people who don't appreciate it now, but I really think they will in a few years.

Although I'm reserving judgement on a few areas to see how they pan out after a few seasons, I'd say he's doing a great job.

Hayvern
01-16-2010, 05:34 PM
What options? Who were the big aquisitions to be had? His job was General Manager. NOt head of player personnel.

Actually, his job title was officially, Vice President, Player Personnel.

Scott Pioli - Official New England Patriots Biography (http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=MgersandExecsbio&bio=12539)

I believe that Bill Belichek is technically both Head Coach and GM, but I might be wrong about that. Anyway, I was referring to his official title, and that title was VP of Player Personel and NOT General Manager.

Now, as for the rest of your post, I am happy that he made the changes he made, I am still not thrilled with the Haley hiring, nor am I happy that he did not address the offensive line in the offseason nor did he do it in the draft, I am also not thrilled about the Cassel hire, nor the subsequent huge contract he was given.

I know he was not out there looking for the specific needs of the Chiefs, but I am sure that in your job as EMT, you are not just sitting around waiting until you need particular piece of equipment before you evaluate it. I view it the same way with personnel, there are a finite number of players out there, and I would expect if I were in charge of Player Personnel for a NFL team, I would be evaluating every one of them.

So I voted neutral. I hope I can vote thrilled next season!

Canada
01-16-2010, 06:06 PM
My question was...who were the big free agent aquisitions that we should have gotten? who was available that would have really upgraded this team?

tornadospotter
01-16-2010, 06:11 PM
My question was...who were the big free agent aquisitions that we should have gotten? who was available that would have really upgraded this team?
Me! and I would have been cheap, 2 mill would have signed me to take one hit, and go on injured reserve.:D:yahoo:

matthewschiefs
01-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Me! and I would have been cheap, 2 mill would have signed me to take one hit, and go on injured reserve.:D:yahoo:

Oh man that would have been a pick up. I think all gms should be fired for missiing you. :D :lol:

tornadospotter
01-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Oh man that would have been a pick up. I think all gms should be fired for missiing you. :D :lol:
:lol:I agree!

honda522
01-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Darren Sharper
Deuce McCallister
Chris McCalister

hometeam
01-16-2010, 07:18 PM
What a depressing bunch. You guys would complain that SuperBowl trophy wasn't shiny enough when we win it.

uh.. hi, we where the 5th worst team again this year.

Just becuase we have been mired in mediocrity for the past few years, doesnt mean a tiny iota of a less mediocre season should be anything but critiqued as such.

Plus, look at the poll, we have more people living in a fantasy world than we do folks who are grounded and view the team with an open mind.

:11:

CapitalT
01-16-2010, 07:51 PM
The question was to rate Pioli's first year. I think hiring Haley was a mistake. I don't think it's a coincidence that we hired 2 ex-coaches as coordinators. This can only help Haley.

I am optimistic for next year. If we make it to the playoffs the year after this, I will be very happy. Like many of us here, I've loved the Chiefs since I was very young. I want to see them succeed as much as anyone.

I haven't seen any opinions in this thread that are outrageous. I respect the other other opinions expressed. However, you didn't honestly expect everyone to be super thrilled with Pioli's performance did you?

Connie Jo
01-16-2010, 08:02 PM

Just becuase we have been mired in mediocrity for the past few years, doesnt mean a tiny iota of a less mediocre season should be anything but critiqued as such.

Plus, look at the poll, we have more people living in a fantasy world than we do folks who are grounded and view the team with an open mind.

:11:

I can't speak for others, but don't think I'm being unrealistic for playoff hopes in 2010. I base my hopes on the overall picture, all factors considered, not just the hiring of new coaches...though this poll was related to such. No one is perfect at any job, including Pioli as a GM in the NFL...but, I am thrilled overall with the job he's done so far as the Chiefs GM.

I don't believe I'm wearing rose colored glasses when I see more positive than negative with our Chiefs being on the road to the playoffs in 2010.

No doubt I could be let down, nothing is guaranteed, been there done that many times...BUT, it feels very good to have such hopes during the off season & be truly looking forward to a new season. I do believe it is more possible than not, that we could make the playoffs in 2010...based upon the overall positive factor's to date, & with speculating as a result that more positive factor's are to come.

We have many of the Bronco & Raider fans worried now...they must see some positive factor's too.

GO CHIEFS 2010!!

luv
01-16-2010, 08:02 PM
I can see some things haven't changed.

Hayvern
01-16-2010, 08:10 PM
I can't speak for others, but don't think I'm being unrealistic for playoff hopes in 2010. I base my hopes on the overall picture, all factors considered, not just the hiring of new coaches...though this poll was related to such. No one is perfect at any job, including Pioli as a GM in the NFL...but, I am thrilled overall with the job he's done so far as the Chiefs GM.

I don't believe I'm wearing rose colored glasses when I see more positive than negative with our Chiefs being on the road to the playoffs in 2010.

No doubt I could be let down, nothing is guaranteed, been there done that many times...BUT, it feels very good to have such hopes during the off season & be truly looking forward to a new season. I do believe it is more possible than not, that we could make the playoffs in 2010...based upon the overall positive factor's to date, & with speculating as a result that more positive factor's are to come.

We have many of the Bronco & Raider fans worried now...they must see some positive factor's too.

GO CHIEFS 2010!!

So much depends on the offseason aquisitions, both in the draft and in free agency. Free agency this year is a mess too, especially if the CBA remains a question mark.

If the Chiefs do now address those key areas where we need help, primarily, offensive line, linebacker and receivers, we are going to have another mediocre year.

I do have hope that Hunt, Pioli, and Haley intend on putting together a winner. They certainly went out to get the coaching staff to make it happen!

Connie Jo
01-16-2010, 08:12 PM
The question was to rate Pioli's first year. I think hiring Haley was a mistake. I don't think it's a coincidence that we hired 2 ex-coaches as coordinators. This can only help Haley.

I only quoted the part of your post I want to reply to. I don't think hiring Haley was a mistake, but I do agree with you on I don't think it's a coincidence that we hired 2 ex-coaches to compliment Haley's early transitions years into the NFL as a Head Coach.

This is speculation and a big 'IF'...I also see the hiring of such as a possible further back up plan in place, just in case Haley doesn't fulfill Pioli's expectations as a Head Coach...he may feel he now already has a replacement in position to replace Haley.

Hayvern
01-16-2010, 08:20 PM

They did not have to be big free agent aquisitions. I know that there were some. I could go look them up if you want me to, but here is the reality.

We didn't do ANYTHING in free agency last season. We traded for a couple of backups to fill some holes, but we made no offers of any significance last season. 0. Now there has to have been a couple of players out there that we could have brought in.

I believe in the draft to build the team, but I have said a thousand times that you have to have a mix of veterans with the rookies. A lesson Edwards learned the hard way.

Connie Jo
01-16-2010, 08:34 PM
So much depends on the offseason aquisitions, both in the draft and in free agency. Free agency this year is a mess too, especially if the CBA remains a question mark.

If the Chiefs do now address those key areas where we need help, primarily, offensive line, linebacker and receivers, we are going to have another mediocre year.

I do have hope that Hunt, Pioli, and Haley intend on putting together a winner. They certainly went out to get the coaching staff to make it happen!

Yeah, that's what I meant by from what I've seen so far that's been positive, I speculate with believing there will be more positive factors take place, such as fulfilling needs with players through FA/draft.

Connie Jo
01-16-2010, 08:39 PM
They did not have to be big free agent aquisitions. I know that there were some. I could go look them up if you want me to, but here is the reality.

We didn't do ANYTHING in free agency last season. We traded for a couple of backups to fill some holes, but we made no offers of any significance last season. 0. Now there has to have been a couple of players out there that we could have brought in.

I believe in the draft to build the team, but I have said a thousand times that you have to have a mix of veterans with the rookies. A lesson Edwards learned the hard way.

See, my memory could be wrong, but I'm not convinced on building a team through the draft. With a few exceptions of course, such as DT...in my memory it seems many players we draft are cut or traded within a couple years after drafting. Granted this was under the Peterson era, but still how I remember it, which leaves me with not much faith in the draft as far as building a team.

Connie Jo
01-16-2010, 08:46 PM

ME TOO! Only I would've taken free season tickets to play the position of 12th man, no injury risk either!

~Second thought~...I suppose if I got knocked down by someone too intoxicated, or an opposing fan, I could get injured, or with banging on a seat too hard I could break a wrist, hahaha.

matthewschiefs
01-16-2010, 08:48 PM

I agree with you in the fact that we do need a mix of vets and rookies. Thats my biggest thing with herm and Carl they went FAR FAR to young.

We dont no that the Chiefs made 0 offers to any names. But i will say again thats never been Piolis way to do things. He was never one to sign the big names. Randy Moss is the rare exception and there may be a couple of more.

I belive Albert Haynsworth was the bigest prize out there last offseason. He would have been nice to see. But you also got to rember at the time we were just getting a coaching staff together and all that other fun stuff that comes with change. This offseason will be more of a true test to see what Pioli can do.

luv
01-16-2010, 08:48 PM
See, my memory could be wrong, but I'm not convinced on building a team through the draft. With a few exceptions of course, such as DT...in my memory it seems many players we draft are cut or traded within a couple years after drafting. Granted this was under the Peterson era, but still how I remember it, which leaves me with not much faith in the draft as far as building a team.
We may have a coaching staff that will be able to better transition players from college to NFL. I don't mine FA, but I would love to actually see our draft picks become something. Some of it's on the players, but a lot of it is on the coaching. We had an ex-OC come in after a defense heavy draft. Let's give it a few years to see what he can do.

Peterson was NOT the best at drafting. IMO, he made a much better President than he did GM.

luv
01-16-2010, 08:51 PM
In our case, we have to look beyond the Chiefs organization to see what works and doesn't work. Pioli will help change our perspective....I hope. I'm so glad Peterson is gone.

Connie Jo
01-16-2010, 08:53 PM
We may have a coaching staff that will be able to better transition players from college to NFL. I don't mine FA, but I would love to actually see our draft picks become something. Some of it's on the players, but a lot of it is on the coaching. We had an ex-OC come in after a defense heavy draft. Let's give it a few years to see what he can do.

Peterson was NOT the best at drafting. IMO, he made a much better President than he did GM.

That's true with a coaching staff now possibly being better to help rookies make the transition. I also agree Peterson did well with drafting some great players, such as DT, Jared Allen. It's just that he cut many too, for one reason or another...such as Jared. :(

Connie Jo
01-16-2010, 08:55 PM
In our case, we have to look beyond the Chiefs organization to see what works and doesn't work. Pioli will help change our perspective....I hope. I'm so glad Peterson is gone.

Ditto! I'm glad Peterson is gone too, he should've been let go sooner, but I'm not that familiar with his contract term & conditions, maybe they couldn't fire him sooner.

Canada
01-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Darren Sharper
Deuce McCallister
Chris McCalister

That is why people are disappointed in Pioli? Deuce doesnt even have knees left. Did u really think Darren Sharper was gonna leave the Saints?

:11:Being excited about some of the moves we are making is living in a fantasy land? did it occur to anyone that this seasson was used to evaluate the talent that we have? I hear you complain that we are mired in mediocrity...but we should have hired some half as$ed FA's and gotten 6 wins....and remained mired in mediocrity. I guess I am just surprised that anyone who has said they are happy or thrilled would be considered to be living in a fantasy land when we just land Crennel and Weis. But I've heard it all before...rose colored glasses....homer.....fantasy land. Maybe the ones who are disappointed are the ones who don't know what they are talking about. Just because someone complains about things, does not mean they know what they are talking about!!

tornadospotter
01-17-2010, 12:45 AM
That is why people are disappointed in Pioli? Deuce doesnt even have knees left. Did u really think Darren Sharper was gonna leave the Saints?

Being excited about some of the moves we are making is living in a fantasy land? did it occur to anyone that this seasson was used to evaluate the talent that we have? I hear you complain that we are mired in mediocrity...but we should have hired some half as FA's and gotten 6 wins....and remained mired in mediocrity. I guess I am just surprised that anyone who has said they are happy or thrilled would be considered to be living in a fantasy land when we just land Crennel and Weis. But I've heard it all before...rose colored glasses....homer.....fantasy land. Maybe the ones who are disappointed are the ones who don't know what they are talking about. Just because someone complains about things, does not mean they know what they are talking about!!
I will step up and defend my position! Hiring Crennel and Wies is great news, but that evaluation comes next season. This poll is on Pioli's first year. I am not happy with the last season, so I am disappointed! Why does this have reference to GM? He allowed a Rookie Head Coach be, OC, WRC, and ect. He okayed the release of Chan. Yes they may be reasons for all of that, and it looks like a winning staff is coming togather, but time will tell. Now does this mean I am upset, or do not like Piolie? Not at all, it just means I am disappointed in his first year. I am true to my team, THE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!!! and I always expect the best from them.

:11:So there, I have spoken! So put it in stone.

Chiefster
01-17-2010, 12:46 AM

Where you been young lady!

Hayvern
01-17-2010, 01:00 AM

I think you are going to see the same thing this year. I have this horrible feeling that even more of Herm's picks are going to be let go. Brodie Croyle, Dewayne Bowe, maybe even Jarred Page, Derrick Johnson

Canada
01-17-2010, 01:24 AM
I will step up and defend my position! Hiring Crennel and Wies is great news, but that evaluation comes next season. This poll is on Pioli's first year. I am not happy with the last season, so I am disappointed! Why does this have reference to GM? He allowed a Rookie Head Coach be, OC, WRC, and ect. He okayed the release of Chan. Yes they may be reasons for all of that, and it looks like a winning staff is coming togather, but time will tell. Now does this mean I am upset, or do not like Piolie? Not at all, it just means I am disappointed in his first year. I am true to my team, THE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!!! and I always expect the best from them.

:11:So there, I have spoken! So put it in stone.

So he is doing the right things....but we are still disappointed. ok

Connie Jo
01-17-2010, 01:37 AM
I think you are going to see the same thing this year. I have this horrible feeling that even more of Herm's picks are going to be let go. Brodie Croyle, Dewayne Bowe, maybe even Jarred Page, Derrick Johnson

No doubt there will be cuts. I was happy with Peterson drafting Bowe, as I'd felt for a while they needed to draft a possible playmaking WR, & hoped he would be it. I think DJ & Bowe in particular do have talent & ability, and with the right coaches could develop to reveal such. Of course if they're cut/traded, and I'm right...it will be for a team other than the Chiefs.

I'm still upset Jared Allen is gone. I saw him on a commerical today for the NFL Playoffs...he's still so full of energy and love for the game...I want him back! I miss him making those contributions on our team, watching him interact with fans, getting them riled up.

I think a team and fans benefit greatly from a personality like Jareds, as well as his athletic contributions too of course...the whole package. There just aren't 'that' many players in the NFL who have that energy coming through with their compassion for the game, that kind of charisma with the fans. Vike's have two of them!...Favre & Allen.

tksixtyone
01-17-2010, 04:36 AM
I really viewed this past season as a 16 game preseason...this was a year of constant evaluation. The rosters between the Baltimore and Cincinnati game had like 20 different players or something crazy like that. Not to mention evaluating which coaches were worth keeping (apparantly none of the Peterson era coaches made the cut, which is a good thing.) This draft and this next season will tell the real tale

chief31
01-17-2010, 05:20 AM

Mike Brown and Mike Goff. They may not have looked too good this season, but both were very good players prior to this season.

DC_Chiefsfan
01-17-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm happy with Pioli. The first year under a new regime is always tough. You've got to find out what you've got to work with. I feel that throughout the season we discovered who we can rely on. Remember we not only changed our defensive scheme, but our offensive scheme as well. This combined with our 2-14 record last year surely didn't equate to a big win season. what I do see is progress and a lot of upside. I didn't see any of this with Herm and Peterson.

The start to the 2010 season is already off to a great start and my expectations are much higher this year. There is no reason we should have a record any worse than 7-9 next season. GO CHIEFS!!

matthewschiefs
01-17-2010, 12:05 PM
To all that are disapointed I can see why you are a 4-12 season will be dissapointing to all fans of any team. But the question I have for you is did you realy realy expect this team to be good. We made progress from a year ago. We DOUBLED the number of wins.

Chan being fired was probley a good thing by the end of the season. Did it hurt at the start of the season yes. But look at the offense at the end of the year. It looked like a NFL offense. Yes Jamal helped in that but if Haley waited a year we would start this upcomeing season installing a BRAND NEW offense. There is an arguement for what haley did. Things will change a little but it will not be a brand new offense.

I have said many times this would not have been a good team no matter who was the GM and who was the head coach. But anytime one of my teams doubles there win toatal from the year before. I am happy. This team made progress thats all you can ask for from a guy in his first season.

CapitalT
01-17-2010, 03:07 PM
I only quoted the part of your post I want to reply to. I don't think hiring Haley was a mistake, but I do agree with you on I don't think it's a coincidence that we hired 2 ex-coaches to compliment Haley's early transitions years into the NFL as a Head Coach.

This is speculation and a big 'IF'...I also see the hiring of such as a possible further back up plan in place, just in case Haley doesn't fulfill Pioli's expectations as a Head Coach...he may feel he now already has a replacement in position to replace Haley.
I think you make a good point and, from my point of view, it's possible that Haley will learn from his mistakes and his coordinators.

I really hope he turns out to be a great coach!

CapitalT
01-17-2010, 03:35 PM
To all that are disapointed I can see why you are a 4-12 season will be dissapointing to all fans of any team. But the question I have for you is did you realy realy expect this team to be good. We made progress from a year ago. We DOUBLED the number of wins.

Chan being fired was probley a good thing by the end of the season. Did it hurt at the start of the season yes. But look at the offense at the end of the year. It looked like a NFL offense. Yes Jamal helped in that but if Haley waited a year we would start this upcomeing season installing a BRAND NEW offense. There is an arguement for what haley did. Things will change a little but it will not be a brand new offense.

I have said many times this would not have been a good team no matter who was the GM and who was the head coach. But anytime one of my teams doubles there win toatal from the year before. I am happy. This team made progress thats all you can ask for from a guy in his first season.
In any season where we have no chance of the playoffs, I look at our players and the promise of the next season. This has been said before but I don't think our performance on the field this year was better than the prior year.

The last game against Denver has really made me re-think my earlier criticism though. I thought that was the best game in 2 seasons for us. The only question I have is whether we caught a Denver team that's heart really wasn't in the game or whether that game showed our future promise.

Coach
01-17-2010, 11:41 PM
The only question I have is whether we caught a Denver team that's heart really wasn't in the game or whether that game showed our future promise.

The playoffs were on the line for the Donks, so I'm hoping that it showed our future promise.

pbatrucker
01-18-2010, 05:04 AM
IMO their HC huge ego had a big part in it also. He wasn;t worried about sitting two of his best recievers out because he just knew he was going to run the ball for 250 yds like other teams. OPPS! Didn;t happen.

Connie Jo
01-18-2010, 08:29 PM
In any season where we have no chance of the playoffs, I look at our players and the promise of the next season. This has been said before but I don't think our performance on the field this year was better than the prior year.

The last game against Denver has really made me re-think my earlier criticism though. I thought that was the best game in 2 seasons for us. The only question I have is whether we caught a Denver team that's heart really wasn't in the game or whether that game showed our future promise.

I can't imagine their hearts not being in the game, considering they needed to beat Kansas City for a possible shot as a Wildcard team. If for no other reason than for sake of not being able to in a long time, I'm gonna look at our win in Denver as showing our future promise! Nothing could've been sweeter with ending our transitional season!

CapitalT
01-19-2010, 01:13 PM
I can't imagine their hearts not being in the game, considering they needed to beat Kansas City for a possible shot as a Wildcard team. If for no other reason than for sake of not being able to in a long time, I'm gonna look at our win in Denver as showing our future promise! Nothing could've been sweeter with ending our transitional season!
Both Coach and you are probably right about Denver giving it their all.

The thing that made me question their resolve was the suspensions before the game and their quality of play in the second half.

Connie Jo
01-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Both Coach and you are probably right about Denver giving it their all.

The thing that made me question their resolve was the suspensions before the game and their quality of play in the second half.

I wasn't aware of any pre-game suspensions. I have a bit of a hearing loss (too many rock concerts standing close to the amps on stage, which I still stupidly do! haha)...so pay no attention sometimes to what the commentators are saying, since I often can't understand them with all the background noise...assuming they mentioned the suspensions.

Possibly whatever happened between the HC & DC happened during half time, and that dissention was reflected the second half. It's hard to say really...only the Donk's know for sure where they went wrong. Well, those not in egotistical self denial anyway, hahaha. :D