PDA

View Full Version : Interesting look at the OL and DL, and who we may Target in the Draft

Ryfo18
01-20-2010, 12:08 PM
All six NFL teams that played in the Divisional Round of the playoffs finished the regular season ranked 10th or better in sack differential (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=4828380), and just two teams in the top ten didn't make the postseason. In other words, the best teams in the NFL have good offensive and defensive lines. The league's three worst teams in sack differential were the Jaguars (-30), Chiefs (-23), and Rams (-19). Look for those teams to use their first-round picks on linemen or pass rushers. -Evan Silva

I thought this was an interesting stat. I think it is fairly obvious that in the NFL the OL and DL/LB are critical, but this makes it seem like they should now be our top priority. I figured if Berry was available that the Chiefs wouldn't hesitate to take him. Now I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they passed him up for McClain or Okung.

Chiefster
01-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Okung.

yashi
01-20-2010, 12:19 PM
It's too bad there isn't a straight up DeMarcus Ware available. I wonder what our differential was over the 2nd half of the season. An interesting stat nonetheless.

jason1981
01-20-2010, 01:33 PM
I bet we get berry or mcclain

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-20-2010, 01:55 PM
It's too bad there isn't a straight up DeMarcus Ware available. I wonder what our differential was over the 2nd half of the season. An interesting stat nonetheless.

Demarcus Ware IS available - as a free agent.

yashi
01-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Demarcus Ware IS available - as a free agent.

In my dreams maybe. He signed a monster contract extension during the season.

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Ah...didn't know that. Sad. Well, let's get the CBA signed so we can go after Elvis Dumervil.

pbatrucker
01-20-2010, 02:17 PM
What's that saying around the NFL?
You have to have a QB. Weather you like him or not Matt is the man.
You have to protect the QB. We still have a problem there.
You have to get to the opposing QB. 20 is better than 10, but we're still 15+ sacks from being good.
Okung or McClain.
Since Niswanger was named OL MVP, I guess we won't get the OC we were hoping for this draft.

yashi
01-20-2010, 02:21 PM
What's that saying around the NFL?
You have to have a QB. Weather you like him or not Matt is the man.
You have to protect the QB. We still have a problem there.
You have to get to the opposing QB. 20 is better than 10, but we're still 15+ sacks from being good.
Okung or McClain.
Since Niswanger was named OL MVP, I guess we won't get the OC we were hoping for this draft.

That's such bull. Niswanger was clearly the worst piece of our offensive line for me. I wish we'd try Wade Smith at the position at least. He was awesome this year.

pbatrucker
01-20-2010, 02:25 PM
That's such bull. Niswanger was clearly the worst piece of our offensive line for me. I wish we'd try Wade Smith at the position at least. He was awesome this year.
I still have nightmares of Niswanger being pushed back into the QB. He is awful.

Three7s
01-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Seriously? Niswanger was the freaking MVP for the OL?

pbatrucker
01-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Seriously? Niswanger was the freaking MVP for the OL?
www.kcchiefs.com (http://www.kcchiefs.com) That;s what they said.

Hayvern
01-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Offensive line has to be the choice, there is just no other. We have a 65 million dollar man behind center, if he goes down who is there to back him up? We have made a long term investment in Cassel and that has to be the focus this year.

Look, Hali gets better every year, he has really stepped up and shown that he can play linebacker and he will get that chance again next year. Bring in another strong linebacker and things get better, even better because now we have someone to coach these guys.

Face it, Pendergast was terrible and he had to go. Coordinators can really do a lot to a team and I expect the defense to be much improved next season.

jason1981
01-21-2010, 06:08 PM
i either want Berry or Mcclain with our first pick. that should be our only choices with our 1st pick.then 2a get the best S or LB whatever one we dont get with the 1st pick. then 2b Go O-line. even use our 3rd on oline as well. then hopefully we can still a wr in the 4th.

Three7s
01-21-2010, 07:52 PM
i either want Berry or Mcclain with our first pick. that should be our only choices with our 1st pick.then 2a get the best S or LB whatever one we dont get with the 1st pick. then 2b Go O-line. even use our 3rd on oline as well. then hopefully we can still a wr in the 4th.
I agree, I doubt we'll get Berry, but McClain is a nice runner up.

Bike
01-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Hali Berry. Has a nice ring to it.

Pro_Angler
01-21-2010, 10:22 PM
with our new found running game we dropped hugh in the sacked recieved department in the 2nd half of the season, but our sack given never got good. I say defence. the middle of our field got torched from pre-season to the last game for the most part. I say berry since Suh or any other #5 worthy DL wont be there.

Coach
01-21-2010, 10:36 PM
www.kcchiefs.com (http://www.kcchiefs.com) That;s what they said.

Voting Niswanger as top OL is like deciding who is the tallest midget.

Hali Berry. Has a nice ring to it.

Yes it does.

matthewschiefs
01-21-2010, 10:39 PM
with our new found running game we dropped hugh in the sacked recieved department in the 2nd half of the season, but our sack given never got good. I say defence. the middle of our field got torched from pre-season to the last game for the most part. I say berry since Suh or any other #5 worthy DL wont be there.

I would agree. We need a pass rush more then anything right now. That will help the secoundary with the d.

But we do at some point in the draft address the O line.

Pro_Angler
01-21-2010, 10:44 PM
I would agree. We need a pass rush more then anything right now. That will help the secoundary with the d.

But we do at some point in the draft address the O line.

agreed 2nd rd..

chiefan
01-22-2010, 04:00 AM
Niswanger is terrible. If he is starting next year, then we as an organization fail.

AussieChiefsFan
01-22-2010, 04:25 AM
Niswanger is terrible. If he is starting next year, then we as an organization fail.IMO he's not anything special but he's alright although a better Center would be great