PDA

View Full Version : Dorsey to Lions?

Ryfo18
01-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Of course this is all skepticism, but here it is from Rotoworld.com:

Lions beat writer Tom Kowalski believes the team "might make a play" for Chiefs DL Glenn Dorsey this offseason.
Dorsey was drafted by K.C. when current Lions DC Gunther Cunningham ran the Chiefs' defense. Dorsey would also be a better fit in Detroit's 4-3 scheme as a three technique tackle. He hasn't been productive in the Chiefs' 3-4.

I'm not sure if I like this. Obviously it depends a lot on what we would get in return, but I wouldn't imagine it would be a ton (though it does free up a nice chunk of money with his top 5 draft pick salary off the books). I thought Dorsey was starting to come around in the 3-4 last season though. Our run D was noticeably better when he was not injured. I'm just worried that our sad D-Line is going to get even worse if we were to trade him. Obviously we can address this in the draft, but we again gamble on another rookie Dline. If this does happen, I think we have to address the DE position via free agency.

Is this just another example of Pioli dealing out "Herm's" players or do you think it's worth trading Dorsey?

hometeam
01-20-2010, 04:39 PM
I would be open to hear the reasoning/compensation for a possible move on Glenn Dorsey. He hasnt made the impact that his paycheck demands in terms of cap space. Then again with the uncapped year, lots of things could happen.

kcmostwanted
01-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Wouldn't Detroit rather sit around and hope that STL doesn't draft SUH?

Also, McCoy seems to be hyped as a possible pick for Detroit as well....That being said, I think Dorsey is way too valuable for our Run D..

If the GM were drunk I'd say... Dorsey for Calvin Johnson...straight up :-)

yashi
01-20-2010, 04:55 PM
I saw that as well. That blurb is BS. We got killed by Jerome Harrison without Dorsey. He as productive as anyone we have on the line.

Chiefster
01-20-2010, 05:26 PM

I'm not sure if I like this. Obviously it depends a lot on what we would get in return, but I wouldn't imagine it would be a ton (though it does free up a nice chunk of money with his top 5 draft pick salary off the books). I thought Dorsey was starting to come around in the 3-4 last season though. Our run D was noticeably better when he was not injured. I'm just worried that our sad D-Line is going to get even worse if we were to trade him. Obviously we can address this in the draft, but we again gamble on another rookie Dline. If this does happen, I think we have to address the DE position via free agency.

Is this just another example of Pioli dealing out "Herm's" players or do you think it's worth trading Dorsey?

Skepticism or speculation???

matthewschiefs
01-20-2010, 05:28 PM
I dont thin Dorsey will be moved this is just rumor.

chief31
01-20-2010, 06:04 PM
I think it would be a very bad idea to create another hole in our defense.

And, for the record, I don't think anyone is "productive" as a 3-4 DE. If they are, then the defense is probably broken.:D

jap1
01-20-2010, 06:10 PM

What I put in bold says it all.

I think that quote is from someone who doesnt know much about our team. Wasnt Dorsey one of Haley's "Core" players? 3-4 DEs arent supposed to get great statistics, so I dont know what he is talking about not being "productive."

It would be a step back to deal away Dorsey. He played well in our system. I hope this is some Detroit beat writer's wet dream.

Vandelay
01-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Dorsey did not play in the Clevland game. So I think that should give an idea as to how imprtant he is.

kcred
01-20-2010, 07:36 PM
this writer is not just making this stuff up.there is some truth to this. I have been telling you the lions want to move down and would like to swap picks with the chiefs. The lions believe the player they have targeted will be available at the # 5spot . That is what it said. 3 days ago before this came out. Look my info about the lions is coming from a source in Detroit
(Brother inlaw ) you guys think i am crazy but I don't think think the chiefs will be drafting at the #5 spot. WE ALL KNOW SUH LOOKS GOOD IN RED:fatlock:

matthewschiefs
01-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Dorsey did not play in the Clevland game. So I think that should give an idea as to how imprtant he is.

ya he was missed big time that game. We probley win that one if we had him there.

Ryfo18
01-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Skepticism or speculation???

Ah you called me out on it! I typed real quick at work...you're right though, it's SPECULATION.

I think it would be a very bad idea to create another hole in our defense.

And, for the record, I don't think anyone is "productive" as a 3-4 DE. If they are, then the defense is probably broken.:D

You're right on the money with this. It's difficult for the linemen to put up mind numbing stats in a 3-4 scheme. But if they are plugging holes and taking multiple blockers to stop them, they are doing their job. The linebackers are supposed to fill in the gaps and make the play.

Dorsey did have great stats coming out of college. I think from a talent perspective he's coming around, you just won't see it in his numbers, but you'll more see it in the team stats (run D).

Connie Jo
01-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Ah you called me out on it! I typed real quick at work...you're right though, it's SPECULATION.

It could've been skepticism, in that you were being skeptical of what would happen if it were true that Dorsey was going to the Lions...since your post followed with, "I'm not sure I like this".

Okay, I'm stretching a bit, hahaha. :D

pbatrucker
01-20-2010, 10:35 PM
IMO Dorsey is one of the few players we would be able to get draft choices for. If Pioli was planning on picking up Seymour as a FA to replace Dorsey this move would make sense as long as the compesation was in line with what he means to our defense.

kilobytes
01-20-2010, 10:49 PM
HELL no! We ain't giving up Dorsey for any one. I know I wouldn't give him up for anyone! PERIOD! It would be insane to even think of that. BS that he hasn't done well in the 3-4.

jap1
01-20-2010, 11:38 PM
this writer is not just making this stuff up.there is some truth to this. I have been telling you the lions want to move down and would like to swap picks with the chiefs. The lions believe the player they have targeted will be available at the # 5spot . That is what it said. 3 days ago before this came out. Look my info about the lions is coming from a source in Detroit
(Brother inlaw ) you guys think i am crazy but I don't think think the chiefs will be drafting at the #5 spot. WE ALL KNOW SUH LOOKS GOOD IN RED:fatlock:

So basically we make a trade for someone that will cost more and basically play the same position. I guarantee you he wont do well in his first year, setting us back two years. No thanks. Maybe Seattle or Washington are interested.

Hayvern
01-21-2010, 12:15 AM
I also don't think this happens unless we have a replacement already in mind. How does that value work out anyway? The Chiefs move up, 3 spaces to get a defensive player that may be no better than what they currently have?

It has been said many many many times before, DL is a bust position, so many players are picked high and so many fail. Dorsey is a known commodity.

No, the ONLY way a deal like this makes any sort of sense at all is if Detroit has another pick they know they are going to get in the first round and the Chiefs are interested. Moving up three spots to get another defensive player makes absolutely no sense.

Ryfo18
01-21-2010, 01:51 AM
It could've been skepticism, in that you were being skeptical of what would happen if it were true that Dorsey was going to the Lions...since your post followed with, "I'm not sure I like this".

Okay, I'm stretching a bit, hahaha. :D

Hey, I am skeptical too, but the way I said it....yeah that didn't make sense. Thanks for trying to help me though Connie!

So basically we make a trade for someone that will cost more and basically play the same position. I guarantee you he wont do well in his first year, setting us back two years. No thanks. Maybe Seattle or Washington are interested.

Rep for this. No reason to get rid of a blossoming guy going into his 3rd year for a 30 year old aging veteran.

loyalchief91
01-21-2010, 12:49 PM
We better not trade him, he was starting to come around

Seek
01-21-2010, 12:58 PM
I would be open to hear the reasoning/compensation for a possible move on Glenn Dorsey. He hasnt made the impact that his paycheck demands in terms of cap space. Then again with the uncapped year, lots of things could happen.

Dorsey was out the Cleveland Game and they set records running against us. I think he is making a bigger impact than what the naked eye can see. Our run game improved immediately after he returned.

bigpoppachief
01-21-2010, 02:10 PM
The ONLY thing that I would be happy with giving up Dorsey for is if we could tade down and pick up a 3rd with the swapped first and still get Cody and then detroit gives us a 2 and 3 that way we would have 3 picks in the 2nd and 3 in the third What do yuo think I love Dorsey but that would eb the only fesable way to do anything in my mind if we got one of the big DT

dkennedy2323
01-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Did you lose track of your "." key?

AussieChiefsFan
01-22-2010, 02:47 AM
Did you lose track of your "." key?

Kind of a useless post...........

buffman316
01-22-2010, 10:53 AM
I would trade Dorsey for Calvin Johnson and the Lions second round pick, but he is a good run stopper and I see Dorsey getting better as a Chief

matthewschiefs
01-22-2010, 11:52 AM
I would trade Dorsey for Calvin Johnson and the Lions second round pick, but he is a good run stopper and I see Dorsey getting better as a Chief

Thats one trade I would consider doing. It would be a good pickup. I am not sure it would work out. But it would be one to think about. We would get a good reciver and a draft pick. I dont think that the lions would go for it.

kcmostwanted
01-22-2010, 12:52 PM
We would have to give the lions a pick if we wanted Calvin Johnson...

Probably the most athletic receiver in the NFL and could be a top 3 receiver (in the nfl) if he were on a better team....

I doubt they'd give us CJ for Dorsey...

Ryfo18
01-22-2010, 01:13 PM
We would have to give the lions a pick if we wanted Calvin Johnson...

Probably the most athletic receiver in the NFL and could be a top 3 receiver (in the nfl) if he were on a better team....

I doubt they'd give us CJ for Dorsey...

Agreed. If we could get MEGATRON and a 2nd for Dorsey, that would be highway robbery. As a straight up Dorsey for Johnson, that's closer. I would definitely do that. I think that Johnson and Bowe would complement each other well, as Johnson is more of a burner and Bowe can run routes underneath. Obviously losing Dorsey would be a hit to the line, but we could focus on that in the draft since we wouldn't have to take a WR as early. We could also get a guy who is a better 3-4 fit. While said person might not be as talented as Dorsey, he could be just as effective.