PDA

View Full Version : Are there any loyal Chiefs remaining?

Connie Jo
01-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Even during the Free Agency era, once upon a time there were Chiefs players that were as true to the Chiefs team as we diehard fans are. Some have left the Chiefs of their own free will, others not. To name a few over the years that bled red and gold:

Derrick Thomas (RIP)
Neil Smith
Tony Gonzalez
T-Rich
Priest Holmes
Kimble Anders
Will Shields
Dave Szott
Tim Grunhard
Kevin Ross
Dan Saleaumua
John Alt

Those listed above were personalities of which it wasn't 'always' about the money for them to stay a Chief. Yeah, Tony G. bailed for a shot at a SB, but I believe he's still true to the Chiefs in heart, so he's included. I'm wondering though, are there any on the current roster of which have the personality potential to stay a Chief out of loyalty, assuming they're not cut/traded of course?

It's kind of sad really, to think the days of players remaining with the Chiefs for most of their careers may not return. It appears to be that way throughout the NFL, with exception of star QB's of course, and becoming moreso each season. Times of change I suppose.

DC_Chiefsfan
01-21-2010, 11:22 AM
How about Brian Waters?! The guys I see staying and keeping their heart here are Cassel, Charles and Flowers. Maybe because they are the heart of our core team, but we gave all of them a shot, they play hard, the fans love them (maybe not cassel yet, but you will) and they will remember that.

Ryfo18
01-21-2010, 12:05 PM
What about Larry Johnson on that list? Haha, kidding of course.

I would remove Tony G from this list. A lot of people won't agree with me, but in the end he's not a loyal Chief.

Right now the most loyal Chiefs are the guys on the practice squad...They would hate to leave this team b/c they might not ever get picked up haha!

All kidding aside, I would consider Waters loyal. Sure he wasn't happy at the beginning of the year, but he's stuck it out and things have gotten better for his situation. Other than that, I can't really name anyone else.

Canada
01-21-2010, 12:07 PM

I would remove Tony G from this list. A lot of people won't agree with me, but in the end he's not a loyal Chief.

Right now the most loyal Chiefs are the guys on the practice squad...They would hate to leave this team b/c they might not ever get picked up haha!

All kidding aside, I would consider Waters loyal. Sure he wasn't happy at the beginning of the year, but he's stuck it out and things have gotten better for his situation. Other than that, I can't really name anyone else.

By that logic you would have to take T Rich and Neil Smith off the list too.

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Even during the Free Agency era, once upon a time there were Chiefs players that were as true to the Chiefs team as we diehard fans are. Some have left the Chiefs of their own free will, others not. To name a few over the years that bled red and gold:

Derrick Thomas (RIP)
Neil Smith
Tony Gonzalez
T-Rich
Priest Holmes
Kimble Anders
Will Shields
Dave Szott
Tim Grunhard
Kevin Ross
Dan Saleaumua
John Alt

Those listed above were personalities of which it wasn't 'always' about the money for them to stay a Chief. Yeah, Tony G. bailed for a shot at a SB, but I believe he's still true to the Chiefs in heart, so he's included. I'm wondering though, are there any on the current roster of which have the personality potential to stay a Chief out of loyalty, assuming they're not cut/traded of course?

It's kind of sad really, to think the days of players remaining with the Chiefs for most of their careers may not return. It appears to be that way throughout the NFL, with exception of star QB's of course, and becoming moreso each season. Times of change I suppose.

neil smith signed with the broncos, dude. come on.

Ryfo18
01-21-2010, 12:20 PM
By that logic you would have to take T Rich and Neil Smith off the list too.

Good call, I would have to agree. I dunno, to me a loyal Chief would be someone who stuck it out through their whole career. Those guys are tough to find though. Connie mentioned the money thing though, which I'm assuming is why Neil and TRich left (someone else offered more money). I think it's rare for an athlete to stay on a team for less money than he can make elsewhere though. The only couple examples I can think of (and I'm sure there are more) is when Marian Hossa went to the Red Wings last year for less money than the Penguins were offering to win a Stanley Cup (and then the Penguins beat the Wings in the finals lol). The other example is Brett Favre giving money back to the organization to be able to sign more FAs.

One other note, this is a rebuilding team...With that we're young and won't see a lot of loyal Chiefs for another 4-5 years.

Ryfo18
01-21-2010, 12:21 PM

And Chargers....

And Connie's not a dude.

Seek
01-21-2010, 12:48 PM
To me, a true Die hard Loyal player to the Chiefs is a person that makes KC their home. The Chiefs are more than just a team. They are the community. People like Tony G, and Priest only called KC work. The promptly moved back to California or Texas when the season was over.

True diehard players, like Tim Grunhard and Will Shields made KC their home all year long, and have stayed in KC even after they retired and continue to make the community around them better.

Chiefster
01-21-2010, 02:58 PM

This is, unfortunately, the case.

figcrostic
01-21-2010, 03:23 PM

If you take Tony off you gotta take off Neil Smith and Tony Richardson for the same reason.

*edit* I guess 20 people already beat me too it, I guess great minds really do think alike

wildcat
01-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Dan Saleaumua signed with the Seahawks (while they were division rivals in the AFC West). Also, right after DT died, there was a credible rumor that he was looking to leave KC.

My point... if we want to get too picky we would have to remove every Chief in history from the list. It's easy to forget that, even if a player bleeds red and gold, there is also a business side to the NFL. You can't blame players for doing what is best for their families and signing to the highest bidder after they have spent their best years in a Chiefs uniform. For us, the NFL is entertainment, but it is more than that to the players.

Vanilla Garilla
01-21-2010, 04:36 PM
I think a better question Connie is: Are there any remaining athletes who are loyal to any organization? Whether it be basketball, football, or baseball, i do not see any true loyal athletes anymore. Players will go to where they are going to be the most comfortable and make the most money.

yashi
01-21-2010, 04:36 PM
I have to be completely honest. I think the days of professional athletes being "loyal" to their teams are almost done. It's pretty rare to see anybody take a paycut and less playing time in order to stay with their team, which is basically what it boils down to, especially towards the end of their careers when they reach "overpaid" status. The best example is LT, who won't be back with the Chargers next season because of his huge salary and I doubt he'll take a paycut.

Albert Pujols took less than market value to stay with the Cardinals. He's one of the few current exceptions I can think of, but now fans are worrying that he could ultimately end up elsewhere. Having a vested interest in the city certainly helps (owning restaurants, etc.)

Just keep this in mind, even Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice played for other teams. The CBA in football really doesn't lend itself to keeping older, unproductive players on your team like it does in baseball.

matthewschiefs
01-21-2010, 04:57 PM
I have to be completely honest. I think the days of professional athletes being "loyal" to their teams are almost done. It's pretty rare to see anybody take a paycut and less playing time in order to stay with their team, which is basically what it boils down to, especially towards the end of their careers when they reach "overpaid" status. The best example is LT, who won't be back with the Chargers next season because of his huge salary and I doubt he'll take a paycut.

Albert Pujols took less than market value to stay with the Cardinals. He's one of the few current exceptions I can think of, but now fans are worrying that he could ultimately end up elsewhere. Having a vested interest in the city certainly helps (owning restaurants, etc.)

Just keep this in mind, even Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice played for other teams. The CBA in football really doesn't lend itself to keeping older, unproductive players on your team like it does in baseball.

I agree with you. Sports are simply a bussness for the players. There going to go were they can get the most money. You get some people who are loyal but it is very very rare.

Connie Jo
01-21-2010, 05:55 PM

In Neils honorable defense as being a loyal Chief:

He signed with the Bronco's at the end of his career, after being released by the Chiefs. He, Peterson, & Schotty had differences related to Grbac returning from an injury to start the playoff game against Denver in 1996-97, after Gannon had pretty much led us into the playoffs. Neil was loyal to Gannon, believing he deserved and earned his position as starting QB.

Also, Neil Smith retired a Chief, and was inducted into the Chiefs HOF in 2006. I attended the game against San Diego at Arrowhead that year, of which Neil was inducted during a half time ceremony. Hank JR was there too, a friend of Neils by way of his friendship with DT.

As well, Neil stepped up and filled DT's shoes with taking over DT's Third and Long Foundation, of which helps children in the KC metro area. Neil continues to give his heart to the 3rd and Long Foundation today. He also is known as 'Uncle Neil' to DT's kids, and has emotionally supported them in a father figure role since DT's loss.

Neil Smith is a permanent resident of Kansas City, living around the Lee Summit suburban area, and he continues to devote much of his time to helping those in need around the KC metro area, and beyond. He could've chosen to live anywhere he wanted, but he never left his home in KC...and his heart is certainly loyal to the KC Chiefs, also doing much work, charity & otherwise, related to the Chiefs organization.

PS: 'Squaw' might be more suitable in my case rather than "dude", but I can handle "dude" too if you prefer. :D

matthewschiefs
01-21-2010, 05:59 PM
In Neils honorable defense as being a loyal Chief:

He signed with the Bronco's at the end of his career, after being released by the Chiefs. He, Peterson, & Schotty had differences related to Grbac returning from an injury to start the playoff game against Denver in 1995-96, after Gannon had pretty much led us into the playoffs. Neil was loyal to Gannon, believing he deserved and earned his position as starting QB.

Also, Neil Smith retired a Chief, and was inducted into the Chiefs HOF in 2006. I attended the game against San Diego at Arrowhead that year, of which Neil was inducted during a half time ceremony. Hank JR was there too, a friend of Neils by way of his friendship with DT.

As well, Neil stepped up and filled DT's shoes with taking over DT's Third and Long Foundation, of which helps children in the KC metro area. Neil continues to give his heart to the 3rd and Long Foundation today. He also is known as 'Uncle Neil' to DT's kids, and has emotionally supported them in a father figure role since DT's loss.

Neil Smith is a permanent resident of Kansas City, living around the Lee Summit suburban area, and he continues to devote much of his time to helping those in need around the KC metro area, and beyond. He could've chosen to live anywhere he wanted, but he never left his home in KC...and his heart is certainly loyal to the KC Chiefs, also doing much work, charity & otherwise, related to the Chiefs organization.

PS: 'Squaw' might be more suitable in my case rather than "dude", but I can handle "dude" too if you prefer. :D

I was like 11 or 12 at the time and i knew that was a STUPID choice made. It made me one very upset young chiefs fan.

Connie Jo
01-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Dan Saleaumua signed with the Seahawks (while they were division rivals in the AFC West). Also, right after DT died, there was a credible rumor that he was looking to leave KC.

My point... if we want to get too picky we would have to remove every Chief in history from the list. It's easy to forget that, even if a player bleeds red and gold, there is also a business side to the NFL. You can't blame players for doing what is best for their families and signing to the highest bidder after they have spent their best years in a Chiefs uniform. For us, the NFL is entertainment, but it is more than that to the players.

For sake of clarifying...any rumor DT was thinking of leaving KC is false. Source: a close friend of DT's, of whom DT is responsible for his becoming a lifelong Chiefs fan and season ticket holder. He became good friends with DT while he was playing for Alabama. DT loved KC, the fans, the kids, and KC loved DT...he wasn't going anywhere. :D

No, I don't blame a player for doing what is best for their family, and so on. That isn't the point of my post really...my point is, there were players, including those on the list...who spent most of their career's with the Chiefs during the Free Agency era, and from time to time...some were noted to not go after contract increases to stay in KC.

The question then following the point was...are there any personalities among the current Chiefs roster of which might be comparible, and become loyal to the Chiefs to the point of doing all they could within reason...to stay a Chief for most of their career. It's a speculative question for sake of conversation, besides the Draft...during the off season, haha. :D

Connie Jo
01-21-2010, 06:35 PM
I was like 11 or 12 at the time and i knew that was a STUPID choice made. It made me one very upset young chiefs fan.

Neil's upset over the Grbac/Gannon starting QB position was blamed by the Chiefs organization for encouraging the "Locker Room QB Controversy" that was heavily gossiped about among KC sports journalists, and as a result, stirring up fans. Schotty and Peterson were not happy with Neil speaking his opinion to other Chiefs players, related to the QB position being returned to Grbac after Gannon had made the effort and done the work to lead the Chiefs into the Playoffs.

It's my understanding, that the majority of the team was behind Gannon, and their opinion was ignored by Peterson & Schotty. It upset many players, not just Neil...he was simply blamed for being the most outspoken about it in the locker room.

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-21-2010, 06:40 PM
I think a better question Connie is: Are there any remaining athletes who are loyal to any organization? Whether it be basketball, football, or baseball, i do not see any true loyal athletes anymore. Players will go to where they are going to be the most comfortable and make the most money.

Tom Brady took a pay cut to help the Patriots with the roster a few years back, if I remember correctly.

Connie Jo
01-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Added note about Dan Saleaumua...he too was released by the Chiefs, and signed with Seattle at the end of his career. In other words...it wasn't his choice to be released by the Chiefs. He still has a home in KC too, but I think it's more of a 2nd home for him. I think his main home may be back in San Diego, where he's from...I know it's out West somewhere.

Connie Jo
01-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Tom Brady took a pay cut to help the Patriots with the roster a few years back, if I remember correctly.

Yes Brady did indeed, and he's done it more than once. There are others too, but with less notable names. Also, there have been Chiefs players, such as T-Rich...who offered to take a pay cut to stay with the Chiefs, but Peterson turned down.

Can't really blame a player who has been cut against their desire for signing with another team...even if a rival. Once cut, they have no choice but to sign with who ever offer's them a contract, if they want to continue to earn a salary that is. :)

wichitaj
01-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Carl Peterson

Vandelay
01-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Carl Peterson
Sucks.

honda522
01-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Maybe Flowers. I can see him being here for years. Other than that IDK.

Connie Jo
01-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Good call, I would have to agree. I dunno, to me a loyal Chief would be someone who stuck it out through their whole career. Those guys are tough to find though. Connie mentioned the money thing though, which I'm assuming is why Neil and TRich left (someone else offered more money). I think it's rare for an athlete to stay on a team for less money than he can make elsewhere though. The only couple examples I can think of (and I'm sure there are more) is when Marian Hossa went to the Red Wings last year for less money than the Penguins were offering to win a Stanley Cup (and then the Penguins beat the Wings in the finals lol). The other example is Brett Favre giving money back to the organization to be able to sign more FAs.

One other note, this is a rebuilding team...With that we're young and won't see a lot of loyal Chiefs for another 4-5 years.

Neil and T-Rich were released/cut/traded by the Chiefs. It wasn't about money for either. T-Rich publicly stated he wanted to remain a Chief, and offered to take a pay cut to do so, but Peterson turned him down. See my post futher up defending Neil as to why he left the Chiefs...not about money for him either, he was let go.

Tom Brady has taken pay cut's to help the Pat's many times, and there have been a handful of other less notable names over the years...not many though.

Connie Jo
01-21-2010, 09:29 PM
How about Brian Waters?! The guys I see staying and keeping their heart here are Cassel, Charles and Flowers. Maybe because they are the heart of our core team, but we gave all of them a shot, they play hard, the fans love them (maybe not cassel yet, but you will) and they will remember that.

Brain Waters is a candidate to remain a Chief at heart I think. Actually, it seems it's the Chiefs power's that let most the players go, rather than the players themselves it seems...now that I re-think why many of the players leave.

Most are traded, cut, or released due to aging and not performing as they once did. I would tend to think those aging players realize they're past their prime, and do offer to accept pay cuts...likely the Chiefs power's who refuse the offer.

Connie Jo
01-21-2010, 09:35 PM
And Chargers....

And Connie's not a dude.

I missed some of the replies earlier, which is why I'm now reading through again and replying. I have yet to figure out how the mulitiple quote works. I've tried a few times, but I tend to be slow with some tech stuff, haha.

No, not a dude, haha...thanks! There are men named Connie, although unusual...such as Connie Mack, the baseball player, so I understand when someone assumes I'm a dude, haha.

Connie Jo
01-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Sucks.

:lol:

He had some good years and did well...he just became a bit too much of an ego maniac over the years, took the fans for granted as being loyal win or lose...and lost his mind in the later years!

matthewschiefs
01-21-2010, 09:43 PM
:lol:

He had some good years and did well...he just became a bit too much of an ego maniac over the years, took the fans for granted as being loyal win or lose...and lost his mind in the later years!

To me I think Carl pretty much allowed the coach to do what he wanted as far as what kind of team he put on the field. Marty and Dick vermile both wanted a vetran lead team. Herm wanted to go young. They went far to young and Carl is no longer in KC. But in his 20 years He did have some good years. But he left this team a mess.

dale6734
01-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Pujols is the man. He is a true leader on and off the field. If KC could find there "Pujols" it would solidify this organization for lots of years to come

Connie Jo
01-21-2010, 09:51 PM
To me I think Carl pretty much allowed the coach to do what he wanted as far as what kind of team he put on the field. Marty and Dick vermile both wanted a vetran lead team. Herm wanted to go young. They went far to young and Carl is no longer in KC. But in his 20 years He did have some good years. But he left this team a mess.

Well, rumor had it that Peterson stuck his nose into the coaching aspect way too often...even calling down from his suite questioning the coaches on plays, game situations and what to do, etc..

In fact, he was so well known for interferring, that when he approached his friend Dick Vermeil with the possibility of coaching for the Chiefs...Vermeil knowing Peterson for years, told him one of his conditions would be that he be allowed to do his job as a HC without Peterson's interference...Peterson announced publicly he agreed to that condition.

dale6734
01-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Pujols' contract expires in 2001. There is a lot of speculation as to weather of not the cardinals can afford both Holliday and Pujols long term. Maybe the Chiefs could offer him a huge contract and teach him to be a D lineman.

Connie Jo
01-21-2010, 10:01 PM
To me, a true Die hard Loyal player to the Chiefs is a person that makes KC their home. The Chiefs are more than just a team. They are the community. People like Tony G, and Priest only called KC work. The promptly moved back to California or Texas when the season was over.

True diehard players, like Tim Grunhard and Will Shields made KC their home all year long, and have stayed in KC even after they retired and continue to make the community around them better.

I have to say I do agree wholeheartedly with you on this point. I didn't realize Tony, nor Priest, no longer have any ties to KC. I thought Tony had invested in KC with opening restaurants, etc...and retained a KC home, but maybe not now.

I believe Marcus Allen still retains a residence in KC too, and of course he has his auto dealerships...unless he's sold those? I've not kept up to date with Marcus. Marcus did enter the HOF as a Raider, although he stated publicly he would've preferred to enter as a Chief...he sort a double did the HOF, representing both teams. He is in the Chiefs Hall of Fame also.

Neil Smith, Bill Maas, Dan Saleaumua, and others on my list do still reside and contribute to the community in KC. I think Christian Okoye lives in Columbia, MO.? Saleaumua has a second home out West, but does retain a house in KC too.

Lazeye
01-21-2010, 11:03 PM
if they were loyal than the KC Royals would be the Sh*t and won atleast two World Series by now but no most number 1 picks bounce out after a year or two.

chief31
01-22-2010, 08:59 AM

I don't blame a player for not being loyal to any team. The team is not going to be so loyal to them. It is, most definitely, a business to the team, and they will, almost every time, squeeze a player for every nickle.

If you show loyalty to a team, then expect that team to take advantage of you for it.

As rare as it is to see a player show that kind of loyalty, it even more rare to see a team do it.

P.S. Add Peyton Manning to that list of players who have volunteered for paycuts. (Or so I have heard.)

wildcat
01-22-2010, 10:49 AM
No, I don't blame a player for doing what is best for their family, and so on. That isn't the point of my post really...my point is, there were players, including those on the list...who spent most of their career's with the Chiefs during the Free Agency era, and from time to time...some were noted to not go after contract increases to stay in KC.

I actually was pretty much in agreement with your original post. I was responding more to the people who were marking players off of your list one by one. I understand where they were coming from, but at the same time I think we have to understand that, as was the case with Tony, sometimes players bleed red and gold but they leave for other reasons.

I honestly think I could make a case for Jared Allen being on the list. He bleed red and gold, but Peterson was not always the best at dealing with players in a way that they felt was fair. If the relationship between those two had not gone South, Jared Allen would probably still be a Chief and very well may have retired one.

CapitalT
01-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I like the post. It's an interesting read. Of course, I would definitely include Deron Cherry. He played 11 years, all with the Chiefs and was an outstanding safety.

yashi
01-22-2010, 02:29 PM
You know, as boring as I find the Jets I really hope Tony Richardson wins a Super Bowl. The other day he talked about how much he wants to be able to touch the Lamar Hunt trophy because of how much Lamar did for him and his family. Great football player and great person. It's too bad he wasn't re-signed a few years back.

Connie Jo
01-22-2010, 02:53 PM
I actually was pretty much in agreement with your original post. I was responding more to the people who were marking players off of your list one by one. I understand where they were coming from, but at the same time I think we have to understand that, as was the case with Tony, sometimes players bleed red and gold but they leave for other reasons.

I honestly think I could make a case for Jared Allen being on the list. He bleed red and gold, but Peterson was not always the best at dealing with players in a way that they felt was fair. If the relationship between those two had not gone South, Jared Allen would probably still be a Chief and very well may have retired one.

I definitely agree! Jared said publicly he had bought land and intended to build a house making KC his permanent residence, believing he would be a Chief for his career. He based that on Peterson's promise's to him when he was signed, that if he performed, Peterson would make it worth his while to stay a Chief for the length of his career. Peterson let the personality & lifestyle differences between the two cause him to go back on his initial promise to Jared. IMO...it's not cool for a GM to make decisions based upon personal feelings. It should have been about what was best for the Chiefs & fan's, not an ego power trip.

I like the post. It's an interesting read. Of course, I would definitely include Deron Cherry. He played 11 years, all with the Chiefs and was an outstanding safety.

Definitely Deron Cherry! Can't believe I forgot him! My bad indeed!

You know, as boring as I find the Jets I really hope Tony Richardson wins a Super Bowl. The other day he talked about how much he wants to be able to touch the Lamar Hunt trophy because of how much Lamar did for him and his family. Great football player and great person. It's too bad he wasn't re-signed a few years back.

Same here! I didn't realize T-Rich had even signed with the Jet's this year until I watched the playoff game! I knew when Peterson released him, that he later signed with the Vike's, but when I noted he was no longer with the Vike's this year, assumed he retired...wrong assumption! I began rooting for the Jet's myself, in hopes T-Rich would participate in a Super Bowl at least during his career, if not win a ring.

T-Rich was very loyal to KC, and made every attempt & plea to Peterson to keep him there, including offer to take a pay cut. Peterson turned his head, for no justified reason other than profit. I know the NFL and Chiefs are about making profit more than anything else, BUT...that doesn't always make it right in principle. Loyalty to the KC community, through charity work and interacting with the fans through hosting annual event's...such as Draft Day at Arrowhead, of which T-Rich did...IMO is of far more value.

endzonewillie
01-23-2010, 09:47 AM

Derrick Thomas (RIP)
Neil Smith
Tony Gonzalez
T-Rich
Priest Holmes
Kimble Anders
Will Shields
Dave Szott
Tim Grunhard
Kevin Ross
Dan Saleaumua
John Alt

It's kind of sad really, to think the days of players remaining with the Chiefs for most of their careers may not return. It appears to be that way throughout the NFL, with exception of star QB's of course, and becoming moreso each season. Times of change I suppose.The men I would exclude from this list are the following:
Neil Smith
Tony Gonzalez
T-Richardson
These men have basically thought of themself only and did not prove to be loyal Chiefs players.
Neil Smith went to Denver for money, whatever.
Tony G. went to a team that he thought would get him a ring and he was wrong, totally selfish reason to leave a team.
Tony Richardson basically left the team to make more money and to avoid the coaching staff. I understand avoiding Herm but still selfish thinking.
When I think of players that are loyal to a team I think of players that are drafted by the team and remain on that team until they either retire. 2 of the 3 I mentioned are still playing and Tony Richardson is playing in the AFC Championship this weekend. I am glad that happened for him and very glad it didn't happen for Tony G.

Connie Jo
01-23-2010, 11:30 AM
The men I would exclude from this list are the following:
Neil Smith
Tony Gonzalez
T-Richardson
These men have basically thought of themself only and did not prove to be loyal Chiefs players.
Neil Smith went to Denver for money, whatever.
Tony G. went to a team that he thought would get him a ring and he was wrong, totally selfish reason to leave a team.
Tony Richardson basically left the team to make more money and to avoid the coaching staff. I understand avoiding Herm but still selfish thinking.
When I think of players that are loyal to a team I think of players that are drafted by the team and remain on that team until they either retire. 2 of the 3 I mentioned are still playing and Tony Richardson is playing in the AFC Championship this weekend. I am glad that happened for him and very glad it didn't happen for Tony G.

Well, I can certainly understand why some feel Tony Gonzalez shouldn't be on the list. I simply choose to give him benefit of doubt all facts considered related to his leaving KC.

As far as Neil and T-Rich, I will disagree. Neither left the Chiefs over money. T-Rich offered to take a sizeable pay cut to stay in KC. Neil's leaving had to do with conflict related to a QB controversy, which I explained in a previous post in this thread. Neither left the Chiefs by their choice...it was Peterson's choice.

Connie Jo
01-23-2010, 11:45 AM
I don't blame a player for not being loyal to any team. The team is not going to be so loyal to them. It is, most definitely, a business to the team, and they will, almost every time, squeeze a player for every nickle.

If you show loyalty to a team, then expect that team to take advantage of you for it.

As rare as it is to see a player show that kind of loyalty, it even more rare to see a team do it.

P.S. Add Peyton Manning to that list of players who have volunteered for paycuts. (Or so I have heard.)

Hammer meet's nail on head! I see these reasons as being the factor's more than any other, as to why a majority of player's no longer are loyal to their teams.

The true victim is the fan. As a fan, it's disheartening to become partial to a particular player, only to see him traded, cut, or released by a GM and/or management due to profit. I understand profit is the #1 purpose of the NFL & franchise's, however...those rare players who have proven without doubt to give their hearts and time to the community should be given value for such by the franchise...but, of course that value appears ignored.

I believe prior to his not being healthy, and turning control over to others...Lamar was an owner which did consider a player's value beyond the field. I believe Lamar did have a sense of loyalty towards those player's he felt were loyal to the Chiefs, the fans, and the community.

endzonewillie
01-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Well, I can certainly understand why some feel Tony Gonzalez shouldn't be on the list. I simply choose to give him benefit of doubt all facts considered related to his leaving KC.

As far as Neil and T-Rich, I will disagree. Neither left the Chiefs over money. T-Rich offered to take a sizeable pay cut to stay in KC. Neil's leaving had to do with conflict related to a QB controversy, which I explained in a previous post in this thread. Neither left the Chiefs by their choice...it was Peterson's choice.
I did not read the entire 4 pages of posts . I only read the first one and replied to it. Whether Smith wanted to stay or go the fact that he signed a contract with Denver makes him an enemy of the Chiefs organization. I know he loved to play football for KC but if he really cared he wouldn't have went where he did. As for Richardson, I was assuming and was wrong by your reply. Here is the hard truth with no feelings attached, once a player leaves the Chiefs and signs with another team their loyalty is changed because they are being paid to do so. They may have a certain love in their heart for the Chiefs organization but they become loyal to the team they signed with. They have to or how could they play at the best of their ability?
It is safe to say that we all have our feelings regarding such things. Good topic, rep given.

Connie Jo
01-23-2010, 12:08 PM
I did not read the entire 4 pages of posts . I only read the first one and replied to it. Whether Smith wanted to stay or go the fact that he signed a contract with Denver makes him an enemy of the Chiefs organization. I know he loved to play football for KC but if he really cared he wouldn't have went where he did. As for Richardson, I was assuming and was wrong by your reply. Here is the hard truth with no feelings attached, once a player leaves the Chiefs and signs with another team their loyalty is changed because they are being paid to do so. They may have a certain love in their heart for the Chiefs organization but they become loyal to the team they signed with. They have to or how could they play at the best of their ability?
It is safe to say that we all have our feelings regarding such things. Good topic, rep given.

Truth be told...I believe Neil deliberately wanted to sign with a rival after Peterson released him due to the QB controversy over Gannon/Grbac. Does that make him disloyal? Maybe, but he is after all human first, athlete second...he was upset over lack of principles and loyalties within the Chiefs organization towards players who had given their all, only to have management turn their backs. In the end...Neil received the Karma he went searching for...he acquired two SB rings with Denver.

Still, his heart remained in KC, and that is where he returned to retire, devoting his time and efforts since to the KC community...paying it forward so to speak. That is what I base my judgement on with Neil being loyal as a Chief, to the fans, and in heart a Kansas Citian.

Yes, I agree that once a player leaves a team and signs with another, their athletic loyalties lie with the team they're playing for, no other...most definitely!

It's the loyalty of the heart my thoughts were more related to. I'm a 'too' loyal and sentimental heart, hahaha. :D

wichitaj
01-23-2010, 03:22 PM
All time Mr Chiefs is Len Dawson

endzonewillie
01-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Truth be told...I believe Neil deliberately wanted to sign with a rival after Peterson released him due to the QB controversy over Gannon/Grbac. Does that make him disloyal?
I don't feel he was signing with Denver regarding the QB controversy because at the end of the day he knows it is the way of the sport. The team had to make a choice and they picked the guy they believed would give them the best chance to win and as usual Petersen made the wrong choice. I do think that Smith made the choice to go and play for Denver for a couple reasons, it would be a way to dig on the Chiefs for letting him go and it also gave him the best chance at being on a Superbowl team. Retiring as a Chief might have been his choice due the fact he played his best football with them while DT was opposite him and he wanted to be remembered as that guy. Loyalty? Maybe, maybe not only Neil knows but for whatever the reason he is Red and Gold for life.

It's the loyalty of the heart my thoughts were more related to. I'm a 'too' loyal and sentimental heart, hahaha. :DThis is how most true blue fans think and portray their team and favorite players. It would only be natural for you to hope that the players you loved the most would feel, in todays game it very seldom is the case though.

endzonewillie
01-23-2010, 03:38 PM
I would agree with this 100,000 %. Lenny shows that loyalty every time the Chiefs take the field. Rep given :D

Connie Jo
01-23-2010, 04:03 PM

ABSOLUTELY!!

I didn't include some of the players from Lenny's day, because it was pre free agency for the most part. Still, no one can deny Lenny's blood is 100% red & gold!!

Another on that list would be Bobby Bell!! I missed the last two, but Bobby attends Draft Day every year, mingling with fans walking around the crowd...not sitting behind a table with time restrictions either. Sadly, many fans don't know who he is...they'll see other fan's who do know...talking to him, getting his autograph...then ask who he is. I have it happen everytime!

What's worse...is when I tell a fellow fan, "that's Bobby Bell!"...and they ask me, "who is Bobby Bell?!!" I give them about a 5 minute Chiefs/Bobby Bell history brief, including letting them know he was the first Chief player to be inducted into the NFL HOF, lol. They're not sorry they asked, and then immediately head over to him for his autograph! :D

These older Chiefs legends are GREAT with telling the fans priceless stories of Super Bowl IV, and how football was in their time! Curtis McClinton spent about a half hour telling my grandson about his being in Super Bowl IV, showing him his Super Bowl Ring. My grandson, usually a bit of a restless soul as most kids can be...was impressed and paid attention the entire time with his eyes great big in excitement the way Curtis told his story with such enthusiasm, hahaha!

This pic below isn't good of my grandson, as his eyes were in the middle of a blink and half closed...but it's still a priceless pic we cherish! :D

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/10/45.jpg

Connie Jo
01-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Speaking of Lenny...brings back another fun & priceless memory! Chiefs story time, hahaha!

I drove to St. Joe to meet Lenny back in 2006. He was doing meet & greet's as part of a grand opening celebration for a big home building center store up there. For years I've had a #16 Len Dawson Cooperstown QB Legends Teddy Bear, and always wanted Len to autograph it...this was my chance, so I went!

When Len saw my Teddy Bear, he started cracking up! He said, "seriously, you don't want me to autograph a teddy bear?!" No one had asked him to sign a Teddy Bear before I gathered, lol. Then he noted it was a Len Dawson Cooperstown Teddy Bear, that he had forgotten he had endorsed years ago.

Well, the event promoter & Lenny got such a kick out of listening to me going on over my #16 bear and talking Chiefs...that they decided to use a photo of me and Lenny as a promotion photo for upcoming signing events, lol. They asked me to go behind the table, chat with Lenny more, etc.. It was a BLAST!!

I of course had wore my #16 sweater throwback jersey too! :D

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/01/24.jpg

Canada
01-23-2010, 05:01 PM
You 2 make a cute couple...u should ask him out!!

Connie Jo
01-23-2010, 05:36 PM
You 2 make a cute couple...u should ask him out!!

Isn't he married? If so...NO CAN DO! It's against the rules!

Although, Len's always gonna be cute in my book...and have thought so since I was a kid...I don't think he could keep up with me! LOL He's an honorable 74 I think now...I'm ONLY 20 yrs his junior!!

He's an entire generation older, not sure he could handle my headbanging to Kid Rock's Bawitdaba when going out to events where there's dancing! hahaha

Speaking of which...I have a friends 50th Birthday Party & Dance to attend tonight...I should be getting my rear in gear! You guys have it easy...us gals have to do the hair & stuff, well, somewhat, haha. The older I get, seem's there's only so much I can 'fix', hahaha. :D

Canada
01-24-2010, 08:59 AM
You guys have it easy...us gals have to do the hair & stuff, well, somewhat, haha. The older I get, seem's there's only so much I can 'fix', hahaha. :D

Please...You put on way less make up than I have to and Im not even gonna tell you how long it takes to get my hair looking this good!! :D

Connie Jo
01-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Please...You put on way less make up than I have to and Im not even gonna tell you how long it takes to get my hair looking this good!! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have no doubt your make up takes way longer than mine! You win!! hahahaha

:fan_wave2:

SIC J
01-28-2010, 11:15 AM
You guys act like players really have much of a choice of who drafts them and which team they want to play for at the beginning to their careers. These days its VERY rare to see a player stick out their entire career with the same team like they did many years ago. Its just not the same.

If you don't like your job or boss, what do you do? You move on to the next. Same thing players do. As long as they are out there giving 150% the whole time, they are all loyal to the team. Just because they move on, it doesn't make them not loyal.

Connie Jo
01-28-2010, 12:19 PM
You guys act like players really have much of a choice of who drafts them and which team they want to play for at the beginning to their careers. These days its VERY rare to see a player stick out their entire career with the same team like they did many years ago. Its just not the same.

If you don't like your job or boss, what do you do? You move on to the next. Same thing players do. As long as they are out there giving 150% the whole time, they are all loyal to the team. Just because they move on, it doesn't make them not loyal.

My original thought was more along the lines of loyalty to a team and community vs more money, rather than because of conflict with an employer. I understand one has to be financially wise for their and their family's future, but there have been cases where the amount wanted by the player to stay isn't within reason...basic greed more or less.

There have been several known players who have chosen their team & community over leaving for money...so it's not entirely unheard of, although...I do realize in today's society it's become more and more rare.

That said, I've come to the conclusion that more often than not, it's not the player who wants to be traded, cut, whatever...it's the organization who is unloyal to the player, rather than the player not loyal to their organization, team, community.

okikcfan
01-28-2010, 01:11 PM
My original thought was more along the lines of loyalty to a team and community vs more money, rather than because of conflict with an employer. I understand one has to be financially wise for their and their family's future, but there have been cases where the amount wanted by the player to stay isn't within reason...basic greed more or less.

There have been several known players who have chosen their team & community over leaving for money...so it's not entirely unheard of, although...I do realize in today's society it's become more and more rare.

That said, I've come to the conclusion that more often than not, it's not the player who wants to be traded, cut, whatever...it's the organization who is unloyal to the player, rather than the player not loyal to their organization, team, community.
Very well put Connie! Fact is we really don't know who's idea it was to leave in cases such as Tony G. Did he really request it? Who knows, and the fact is people like Tony G who was an outstanding player on the field as well as off the field will always be a Chiefs in my book and tho he has moved on I wish him nothing but the best. :fan_wave2:

matthewschiefs
01-28-2010, 02:28 PM

The act of being loyal to one team is pretty dead. Most the time it is about money. Then there is the rare tony G occasion when the player wants to win and sees that he is not going to get that chance with that team. Thats why I dont have any dislike of TOny at all players get bashed all the time for the money that they make. When a guy wants to be moved becuse he wants to win I dont have a problem with that. But its once in a blue moon anymore when a player ends up with the team that drafted him. I think Peyton manning and donavan Mcnabb are the only to big name players that might finish were they left off.

Connie Jo
01-28-2010, 08:21 PM
I feel the same about Tony G....don't blame him really. He was patient through many years of being told, "we're re-building, it takes time". He's not getting any younger, he knows that better than anyone, and his opportunity for a Super Bowl appearance, possible ring...were zilch at KC.. Every player says that is their ultimate goal...Super Bowl. Tony had achieved most all records possible as a TE...the one achievement left for him was a Super Bowl...he just picked the wrong team.

KCSDFAN
01-29-2010, 10:42 PM

Jack Rudnay was the heart and soul of the Kansas City Chiefs. That man literally bled red and gold.

Connie Jo
01-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Jack Rudnay was the heart and soul of the Kansas City Chiefs. That man literally bled red and gold.

Definitely agree! There were some very loyal Chiefs back in the day, and it sure wasn't about any money for them...cause they were sooooooo under paid!

I had the honor of meeting Otis Taylor a few years back. He was at a mall in Topeka during a sports related show/sale...and one of the brokers brought him in for meet & greets.

In a way it was sad, because there wasn't a very good turn out. What was even sadder for me was watching him walk in & over to the signing table. He was so very arthritic due to the years he played with such heart and soul.

He was thrilled to talk to me about Super Bowl IV...it was an awesome experience for me too. I want so badly for Otis to be inducted into the HOF, and believe he's deserving by comparison to qualification standards and circumstances related to his era of the game.

I tend to think too many years have passed now, and he won't make it. Many petitions have been submitted to the HOF nominating committee's over the years...to no avail. The efforts have faded out now, and Otis continue's to be over looked by the HOF. :(

tornadospotter
01-30-2010, 08:59 PM
:sign0023::mooning::ninerssuck::D

Connie Jo
01-30-2010, 09:16 PM
:sign0023::mooning::ninerssuck::D

Canada did have an AWESOME pic posted with that comment, but it's gone now! Unless I'm totally losing my memory??!!

It showed his extensive make up and hair (not)...very cool pic! I saved it in my Chiefs Crowd pics folder from tailgating together 12/6...but not sure when that pic was taken...it's an awesome pic showing his red & gold pride!

Canada
02-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Is this the picture you are referring to?

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/01/23.jpg

Coach puts a time limit on my pics and then they diappear. If he didnt the site would get flooded with hot girls logging in to see me!!:chiefs:

That pic was taken at out first ever ChiefsCrowd.com home opener party. Hayvern posted a link with some great pics of all the members who were there.
http://picasaweb.google.com/hayvern/ChiefsCrowd#
(http://picasaweb.google.com/hayvern/ChiefsCrowd#5246478588962537138)

Canada
02-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Sorry, this is the link
Picasa Web Albums - Hayvern - Chiefs Crowd (http://picasaweb.google.com/hayvern/ChiefsCrowd#)

pbatrucker
02-04-2010, 12:53 PM
I was just wondering how TG would feel if we made it to the SB in a couple of years and the falcons don't. Just wondering.

matthewschiefs
02-04-2010, 01:54 PM
I was just wondering how TG would feel if we made it to the SB in a couple of years and the falcons don't. Just wondering.

I think that will depend if hes still playing or not. If hes still playing he will probley wish that he never asked to be traded. If not I dont think he will feel to bad.

Connie Jo
02-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Is this the picture you are referring to?

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/01/23.jpg

Coach puts a time limit on my pics and then they diappear. If he didnt the site would get flooded with hot girls logging in to see me!!:chiefs:

That pic was taken at out first ever ChiefsCrowd.com home opener party. Hayvern posted a link with some great pics of all the members who were there.
http://picasaweb.google.com/hayvern/ChiefsCrowd#
(http://picasaweb.google.com/hayvern/ChiefsCrowd#5246478588962537138)

I love that pic!!! You would definitely
draw all the "hot Chiefs girls" at Arrowhead, hahaha. Thanks for the link too! It's always nice to put faces with names...that's the one thing about PC communicating I don't care for...no visuals, no body language, no voice.

We're gonna have some awesome pics to show after the CC 49'ers get together...I just know it!!! :D

Connie Jo
02-04-2010, 11:03 PM

I know if it was me...it would definitely not be a good feeling. :(

Connie Jo
02-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Holy Moly!!! That's alot of pictures!! hahaha

marloweopatchiefs
02-05-2010, 05:08 PM
i am still here through thick and tkin.

KristofLaw
02-06-2010, 11:59 PM

Steve Yzerman is a Redwing through and through... although I guess he did temporarily leave for Team Canada. :sFl_canada2:

Canada
02-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Steve Yzerman is a Redwing through and through... although I guess he did temporarily leave for Team Canada. :sFl_canada2::bananen_smilies046::sFl_canada2:

euphoria
02-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Neil Smith and T-rich were not signed when they became unrestricted free agents by Queen Carl!