PDA

View Full Version : Who do you like for that number five pick?

buffman316
01-22-2010, 11:09 AM
With the fifth pick in the 2010 NFL Draft your Kansas City Chiefs Select:

A: Eric Berry
Safety, JR 5’11” 200 lbs. University of Tennessee
Strengths: Vision, instincts, reliable hands, reflexes, speed

B: Russell Okung
Offensive Tackle Oklahoma State Senior
6’ 5” 301 lbs
Strengths: Size, build, pass blocking, strength

C: Dex Bryant
6'2" 215 LBS Oklahoma State Wide Receiver
Strengths: Above average height Good muscle definition
Great hands

D: Rolando McCLain
Inside Line Backer Alabama 6'4" 258 lbs
Strengths: Able to play either the 4-3 or 3-4 defense middle or outside linebacker

E: Somone else (Enter name)

F: Trade out to get more picks

yashi
01-22-2010, 11:15 AM
For me.. Berry, Okung, Trade, McClain, Bryant. In that order.

I should say I do like McClain a lot, but I don't know about taking a linebacker with the 5th pick of the draft unless I'm pretty confident he can be the top 3 or 4 players at that position in the league, which is how I feel about Berry.

matthewschiefs
01-22-2010, 11:44 AM
I wouldnt mind any of the names given but I think it might be best to trade out. Theres no one there to me that stands out as a cant miss guy. More picks would give us more chances to address the needs that this team has.

kcmostwanted
01-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Just a heads up... It's "DEZ" not "Dex"

I would go Okung or McClain ...before I go Berry. But ultimately, my choice would be McClain.

Berry is a fantastic football player but he's a very small guy.

5'11" 203lbs concerns me.

I know that Troy, Bob Sanders, and Ed makes a big difference when they're on the field but most undersized Safeties are always injured. For the 4 games that they play they're great and amazing but they miss 1/2 the season because of injuries.

Okung is solid but where the hell is Orlando Pace or Joe Thomas when we need them in the Draft. Many people aren't sure whether Okung will be that much better than Branden Albert... He seems solid but I have my doubts about him as well.

yashi
01-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Okung is solid but where the hell is Orlando Pace or Joe Thomas when we need them in the Draft. Many people aren't sure whether Okung will be that much better than Branden Albert... He seems solid but I have my doubts about him as well.

I dunno... Okung is a 4 year starter at left tackle and has only given up something like 2 or 3 sacks through his entire career. Albert didn't even play LT, except in spot duty I believe.

DC_Chiefsfan
01-22-2010, 02:33 PM
1) McClain 2)Berry or 3) trade down. I think those are the only options. Both these guys are defensive leaders and we really need that. Since LB are more important to a 3-4, I give McClain the nod. Even if we trade down, I still say we end up with him.

buffman316
01-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Sorry about that, it is Dez not Dex, but I wouldn't take him anyway!

Chiefster
01-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Okung.

kcmostwanted
01-22-2010, 03:34 PM
The best part about being #5 is that there are lots of teams behind us that may draft or be interested in 1 of the top 2 QBs...since Seattle is right behind us :-)

So let's say the top 4 picks go according to Mel Kiper Jr.

1. STL - Suh (best player available)

2. Detroit - McCoy (Next best DT available but they could Draft Dez Bryant here too ...j/k)

3. Tampa - Eric Berry (Looking for a Defensive Leader in the Ed Reed clone)

4. Washington - Sam Bradford (Jay Campbell isn't cut it)

5. Chiefs ***Perfect scenario to trade w/ another team who's interested in a QB since Seattle is right behind us.

So 4 out of the next 5 teams could be looking for their QB of the future in Jimmy Clausen or Bradford (whoever's left).

6. Seattle (5-11) - Matt Hasselbeck isn't getting any younger (turning 35 this season) and has been injured.

7. Cleveland (5-11) - Brady Quinn hasn't shown much and Anderson was a 1 year wonder

8. Oakland (5-11) - Should look for a new QB but Al Davis is too blind to see that JR isn't their future ...so No QB

9. Buffalo (6-10) - Trent Edwards had flashes of being an okay NFL QB... but they're probably looking for someone different.

10. Jacksonville^ (7-9) - David Garrard is a good player but not a franchise QB...serviceable but can't take you to the promise land (turns 32 this year which isn't too bad)

Next Set of Picks:

11. Denver - from Chicago^ (7-9) ** long-shot but...Who says Denver won't be looking for a QB either...Orton is just a band-aid and not the solution to their QB problem in Denver

12. Miami (7-9) - Are they convinced Chad Henne is their QB of the future?...I think they'll give him another year

13. San Francisco (8-8) - Can we officially call Alex Smith a Bust or are they going to give the guy another year?

So if we want to trade down, we better hope and pray that Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clausen or any other top QB prospect looks great and throws great.

buffman316
01-22-2010, 03:41 PM
The best part about being #5 is that there are lots of teams behind us that may draft or be interested in 1 of the top 2 QBs...since Seattle is right behind us :-)

So let's say the top 4 picks go according to Mel Kiper Jr.

1. STL - Suh (best player available)

2. Detroit - McCoy (Next best DT available but they could Draft Dez Bryant here too ...j/k)

3. Tampa - Eric Berry (Looking for a Defensive Leader in the Ed Reed clone)

4. Washington - Sam Bradford (Jay Campbell isn't cut it)

5. Chiefs ***Perfect scenario to trade w/ another team who's interested in a QB since Seattle is right behind us.

So 4 out of the next 5 teams could be looking for their QB of the future in Jimmy Clausen or Bradford (whoever's left).

6. Seattle (5-11) - Matt Hasselbeck isn't getting any younger (turning 35 this season) and has been injured.

7. Cleveland (5-11) - Brady Quinn hasn't shown much and Anderson was a 1 year wonder

8. Oakland (5-11) - Should look for a new QB but Al Davis is too blind to see that JR isn't their future ...so No QB

9. Buffalo (6-10) - Trent Edwards had flashes of being an okay NFL QB... but they're probably looking for someone different.

10. Jacksonville^ (7-9) - David Garrard is a good player but not a franchise QB...serviceable but can't take you to the promise land (turns 32 this year which isn't too bad)

Next Set of Picks:

11. Denver - from Chicago^ (7-9) ** long-shot but...Who says Denver won't be looking for a QB either...Orton is just a band-aid and not the solution to their QB problem in Denver

12. Miami (7-9) - Are they convinced Chad Henne is their QB of the future?...I think they'll give him another year

13. San Francisco (8-8) - Can we officially call Alex Smith a Bust or are they going to give the guy another year?

So if we want to trade down, we better hope and pray that Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clausen or any other top QB prospect looks great and throws great.

You make a fantastic argument for trading down. The combine will be HUGE to see how the QB's do. Right now the word on the street is that this isn't a very QB friendly draft, so we will have to wait and see. If they draft down, but not too far, then they possible still get McClain.

DC_Chiefsfan
01-22-2010, 04:07 PM
I think Claussen will still be available when our turn comes around and Cleveland will trade down with us to jump in front of Seattle for him. Remember, Cleveland has 11 picks in this draft so they could spare a few for their new franchise QB. So as it looks right now, I think we'll pick McClain at the number 7 spot in the draft AND have our third 2nd round pick!

For trading picks check out this site:
http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_point_value_chart.htm

It lists the point values for each draft position.

MDChiefs!
01-22-2010, 04:49 PM
D or bust. As nice as it sounds to draft Okung and just slide down the line, its not that easy. Nobody knows if he is going to come in here and dominate right away. He is going to go through the same rookie struggle that BA went through...and who is not to say BA might even struggle at OG? I realize he started his career at VA as a LG but the complaint about his inability to run block was still always there. Way too many uncertainties with that scenario. BA is still improving at playing LT, and even learning to play with proper technique and not rely on his exrta body weight. I think BA is going to be awesome next year

MDChiefs!
01-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Personally I dont think there is any absoultely must for us at #5. The ideal scenario would be to trade back somewhere in the middle

yashi
01-22-2010, 05:04 PM

Yup, and a lot of new regimes in there too. And new regimes = new quarterbacks.

DC_Chiefsfan
01-23-2010, 12:12 AM
D or bust. As nice as it sounds to draft Okung and just slide down the line, its not that easy. Nobody knows if he is going to come in here and dominate right away. He is going to go through the same rookie struggle that BA went through...and who is not to say BA might even struggle at OG? I realize he started his career at VA as a LG but the complaint about his inability to run block was still always there. Way too many uncertainties with that scenario. BA is still improving at playing LT, and even learning to play with proper technique and not rely on his exrta body weight. I think BA is going to be awesome next year

Good point. Just look at LT Andre Smith from last year's draft. He was COMPLETELY dominant while playing at Bama and in the SEC no less. But he is a 2nd string RT for the Bengals. Just because someone owns the college ranks does not mean they're going to do well in the NFL. Especially not right away. If we draft any OL its got to be OG/OC. Anything else sets us back a year.

Hayvern
01-23-2010, 01:28 AM
Trading down is always an option, but myself, I would be taking Okung if I were forced.

All of this changes after free agency though. If we pick up a couple of players then we are open to grabbing whomever.

pbatrucker
01-23-2010, 08:59 AM
What we do in the FA market will determine how com petive we are next year. If we rely on the draft alone, Pioli would have to hit a home run on every pick from rd1 thru rd 4 and the history of the draft says that probably won't happen.
Vern is correct in that Okung would be the safest pick at #5. At the very worst he would be an upgrade at RT.

DC_Chiefsfan
01-23-2010, 09:18 AM
I couldn't disagree more. Okung is the best LT in the draft, but he's not someone like Jake Long, Joe Thomas or Orlando Pace. You have 2 very talented and unique defensive players available and you have to pick them up. Okung is not unique or more talented than any other tackle prospects. These guys will be just as productive: Anthony Davis, Bruce Campbell, Charles Brown, Jason Fox, Trent Williams or Brian Bulaga. Besides that, I like Albert and watching some film from the second half of the season, he did very well. Now, we know McClain is an elite LB, who's the next best linebacker? You're probably going to have to look it up. Okung is not elite and if he is an option for us to draft, I hope we trade down or that the Lions/Redskins draft him. He should be a third option at the No. 5 slot.

MDChiefs!
01-23-2010, 10:23 AM
You dont draft a RT with the 5th overall pick

matthewschiefs
01-23-2010, 10:26 AM
You dont draft a RT with the 5th overall pick

If you think the player is good enough you can draft any postion with any pick of the draft. Thats just how the draft works. No postion is off limits with the first pick.

MDChiefs!
01-23-2010, 10:31 AM
RT is a position you can pick up anywhere, unless your QB is left handed. Drafting a RT at #5 makes no sense. Historically, you just dont draft RTs that early.

If you think the player is good enough you can draft any postion with any pick of the draft. Thats just how the draft works. No postion is off limits with the first pick.

Chieffaninfl
01-23-2010, 11:07 AM
TIM TEBOW!!!!!,
Just kidding, I say we take the best available player whoever that is.

josh1971
01-23-2010, 08:52 PM
What do I want from the 5th pick?

A trade for a later 1st round, and an additional pick.

Pro_Angler
01-23-2010, 10:36 PM
trade down a few spots and still get berry then Mcclain. if they arent available Okung will be..

Ryfo18
01-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Good point. Just look at LT Andre Smith from last year's draft. He was COMPLETELY dominant while playing at Bama and in the SEC no less. But he is a 2nd string RT for the Bengals. Just because someone owns the college ranks does not mean they're going to do well in the NFL. Especially not right away. If we draft any OL its got to be OG/OC. Anything else sets us back a year.

Alex Smith is only 2nd string because he broke his foot in August and sat out the rest of the season. This was after he held out longer than any other 1st rounder (except Crabtree). I'm sure he'll come in and be fine next year. But you're right, anyone can be a bust. Just Google "Tony Mandarich", the OT the Packers took one pick before Barry Sanders. I bet they're still kicking themselves for that one haha.

matthewschiefs
01-24-2010, 11:11 PM
What do I want from the 5th pick?

A trade for a later 1st round, and an additional pick.

I think that is the best option for the Chiefs at this time. Unless a miricale happens and SUH is there Tradeing down would be best IMO.

pbatrucker
01-24-2010, 11:16 PM
I think that is the best option for the Chiefs at this time. Unless a miricale happens and SUH is there Tradeing down would be best IMO.
It's probably Pioli's game plan also. Now if he can find someone to trade with, he'll have a great plan. lol

matthewschiefs
01-24-2010, 11:20 PM
It's probably Pioli's game plan also. Now if he can find someone to trade with, he'll have a great plan. lol

lol Thats right you do have to have someone to trade with. I think its possible for a team looking for a QB to trade up to get one. But who nos. I cant wait for the draft.

pbatrucker
01-25-2010, 01:21 AM
I want to see what we do in the free agent market. There was an article on arrowheadpride a few weeks ago that listed the teams and/or games the chiefs had scouted. Pioli personally attended the NE/MO game as well as scouted Mass and BC. Anyway if you can find that article you get an idea of who they are enterested in.

bigpoppachief
01-25-2010, 05:38 PM
For me it is Berry, Mcclain, or Okung then trade out. The reason I say this is our o line showed improvement and there are some decent oline we can use 2 of our second round picks on. Berry is a beast plain and simple and is already being compared to Ed Reed like ball skills McClain would give us a linebacker that could help free our picks from the last couple years to put more pressure and also help DJ play better and Okung is a good O line man but he is no Joe Thomas or ryan Clady The truth is though it is still too early to tell because we have to see what kind of moves Pioli makes at the beginning of free agency.

endzonewillie
01-25-2010, 06:24 PM
I dunno... Okung is a 4 year starter at left tackle and has only given up something like 2 or 3 sacks through his entire career. Albert didn't even play LT, except in spot duty I believe.
I am getting to this a bit behind but your correct Albert didn't play LT he was a natural Right Guard which is where I would love to see him next year. We pick up a LT with our #5 pick from any of these prospects:

1 Russell Okung Oklahoma St. 6-8 299 96
2 Trent Williams Oklahoma 6-5 306 94
3 Bryan Bulaga Iowa 6-6 311 93
4 Charles Brown USC 6-5 285 92
5 Anthony Davis Rutgers 6-5 328 91

Then use the 2 second rounders for defensive needs.After that it depends on who is available.

cjsfw2
01-26-2010, 01:08 AM
For me it is Berry, Mcclain, or Okung then trade out. The reason I say this is our o line showed improvement and there are some decent oline we can use 2 of our second round picks on. Berry is a beast plain and simple and is already being compared to Ed Reed like ball skills McClain would give us a linebacker that could help free our picks from the last couple years to put more pressure and also help DJ play better and Okung is a good O line man but he is no Joe Thomas or ryan Clady The truth is though it is still too early to tell because we have to see what kind of moves Pioli makes at the beginning of free agency.

Got to agree with you bigpoppachief. Of course it all depends on what we do in free agency before the draft and who's available at #5, but if Berry's there IMO you gotta take him. He can come in day 1 and start for us and be a playmaker, which we've been dying for on defense since Jared Allen got traded. I'll trust in Pioli ultimately, but if Berry's as good as everyone's saying he is and he's available we better be taking one heck of a player over him.

Man its great to be excited about the Chiefs in January!! :yahoo:

NWA Chief
01-28-2010, 02:03 AM
I would love to see us get a couple of picks and trade out of the number 5 pick honestly, but I don't think anyone wants to pay top 5 money really. Ya know, I might get alot of feedback on this, I've seen us pass up a chance to get players such as Aaron Curry and fans say "That guy coulda been here" well, yes but that doesn't mean he would've done the same thing in KC. Curry played well at the 4-3 LB. I would've loved to see him here too but we really just didn't have the DL to let him succeed. Maybe we get Eric Berry, maybe Mclain and maybe we trade back and get Iupati in the 1st and the TCU LB Washington. Big fan of him and that would give us some good quality picks in the second or third rounds where there is alot of quality players. Oh and by the way, I don't think we draft a RB, I think we sign a veteran such as Bell from NO or Leon Washington for NYJ. If Bell stays in NO, Bush or Pierre Thomas will be on the market and I'd take either of them.

matthewschiefs
01-28-2010, 02:35 PM
I would love to see us get a couple of picks and trade out of the number 5 pick honestly, but I don't think anyone wants to pay top 5 money really. Ya know, I might get alot of feedback on this, I've seen us pass up a chance to get players such as Aaron Curry and fans say "That guy coulda been here" well, yes but that doesn't mean he would've done the same thing in KC. Curry played well at the 4-3 LB. I would've loved to see him here too but we really just didn't have the DL to let him succeed. Maybe we get Eric Berry, maybe Mclain and maybe we trade back and get Iupati in the 1st and the TCU LB Washington. Big fan of him and that would give us some good quality picks in the second or third rounds where there is alot of quality players. Oh and by the way, I don't think we draft a RB, I think we sign a veteran such as Bell from NO or Leon Washington for NYJ. If Bell stays in NO, Bush or Pierre Thomas will be on the market and I'd take either of them.

If this year is an uncapped year like it looks like it is going to be then i could see a couple of owners willing to spend a lot of money and move up. Jerry jones is just one that comes to mind. This is probely the best year to trade out of the top 5.