PDA

View Full Version : My mock...what do we think?

MDChiefs!
01-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Bored so I threw together a mock draft...Obviously this is all pending FA, but regardless of what goes down in FA I think this would be a pretty good draft...knock it, comment it, ideas...whatever :)

1. Rolondo McClain - ILB - This kid is a great leader and has experience in running the 3-4. A solid young LB with lots of growth potential. We need someone like him to build our D around

2a. Maurkice Pouncey - C/OG - Center is one of the positions we need upgraded the most, Niswanger killed us last season.

2b. Ricky Sapp - OLB - This kid has a monster frame(6'5 246) and would make a monster pass rusher comin off the edge, which we badly need to replace Vrabel.

3. Torrell Troup - NT - Even if we get someone in FA to take over our NT duties were going to need someone developing under them. We need help at NT bad

4. Jacoby Ford - WR - Instant upgrade returner and a very explosive WR. We need someone to stretch the field. Surprisingly good route runner also... He killed my MD terps :(

5a. Eric Olsen - OG/C - Played C and G for Weis and Notre Dame and we still need starters and/or depth for the o-line. Maybe start at RG or develop under Brian Waters

5b. Ben Tate - RB - Tough, stout runner to help spell JC to keep him fresh.

5c. Justin Woodall - SS - We have Jarrad Page and then...Mike Brown blows, McGraw is a servicable backup and I dont wanna put all of my eggs in Morgan's basket..

6. John Skelton - QB - If Brodie not resigned, Skelton would be a good developmental project for Haley. Great size, good at progressing through his reads and good arm strength...only problem is he played in the colonial division =O

Coach
01-28-2010, 10:48 PM
I like the beginning of your draft, but I don't know most of the guys you have later in the draft.

With the 1st pick, I'll be happy with McClain, Berry, or Okung. I really don't think we can go wrong with any of those picks.

NWA Chief
01-28-2010, 11:00 PM
I like this mock draft..........The top 4 picks are big for us because some believe Eric Berry will be there at 5. If he is not there then McClain is the next guy. NOT OKUNG.
I made a comment on another thread that I would hope we get Leon Washington, his season ended early with an injury but I know he was valuable in the form of a Sprole or slasher/returner for the Jets.
The WR market in FA will be extremely thin so unfortunately I don't see much of an inpact outside of the draft for WR's.
Finding DT's in a 3-4 are essential to defending the run. Not a lot of people in the market so hopefully we can get one in the draft. (Cody, I don't care what anyone says)
Safety appears to be deep in the draft so maybe we can pick up a FA and draft one as well.

MDChiefs!
01-28-2010, 11:07 PM
I agree with Cody, I just didnt put him in there because there are too many uncertainties with him right now and I didnt want the headache :). If he loses 20 lbs he will be playing at Shaun Rogers weight...and we need a 350lb space eater if we want anything on our defense to work properly. I do agree with you though, we need a guy like Cody.

pbatrucker
01-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Good Mock. Pretty close to mine. I habe a safeety at 2 instead of a OLB. Also have Taylor Price going in the 5th with a different OL. But like I said Good Job.

wichitaj
01-28-2010, 11:43 PM
1)Okung
2)Pouncey
2)Spikes

pbatrucker
01-28-2010, 11:50 PM
1)Okung
2)Pouncey
2)Spikes
I have concerns with Spikes, about his speed.

Big Daddy Tek
01-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Nice Job McD. I would love the McClain pick, but if we did that, than I probably wouldn't go with Sapp in round 2, even though Sapp plays outside and is an animal.

I'm not a huge Pouncey guy, but if you want a top notch lineman who can play center, you wouldn't see another one as good for a few more rounds, so I can dig that. Eric Olsen is probably the only pick on your board that I don't like. The kid has yards of film, being blown up.

Last but not least, Outstanding pick in Justin Woodall. The SS from Alabama is the kind of scrapper that you can root for and would be great on special teams. If he wasn't 216 lbs. he would be rated a lot higher. With that said, 5th round might be a reach for him, but we won't really know his stock for another month or so.

All in all, I like it though McD. One of the better Chiefs mocks I have seen. The Torrell Troup pick from Central Florida shows that you really know your stuff.

I have been way over my head to post on the Crowds message board for awhile, but you got me jacked up with this one.

yashi
01-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Pretty good. I'm more of a Brandon Graham than a Sapp guy, but I can't complain too much. I love Troup or Cam Thomas in the 3rd.

matthewschiefs
01-29-2010, 11:35 AM
I liike it I would like to see us go after a WR sooner then that. We need someone that can catch the football.

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Not bad at all, but the offensive line isn't addressed enough, in my opinion.

Love the center, but we still need a right guard and tackle.

Okung or Williams gives us an upgrade at TWO positions - left tackle and right guard. Actually, it does more than that. It also helps Cassel and Jamaal do their jobs better.

It's just the smartest pick, although I love McClain. #5 just feels too early for a linebacker. i know there have been guys who go that early, but they are usually special, special athletes. I know McClain is a special player, but not a freakish athlete like Curry was.

yashi
01-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Not bad at all, but the offensive line isn't addressed enough, in my opinion.

Love the center, but we still need a right guard and tackle.

Okung or Williams gives us an upgrade at TWO positions - left tackle and right guard. Actually, it does more than that. It also helps Cassel and Jamaal do their jobs better.

It's just the smartest pick, although I love McClain. #5 just feels too early for a linebacker. i know there have been guys who go that early, but they are usually special, special athletes. I know McClain is a special player, but not a freakish athlete like Curry was.

I pretty much agree with all of this. Pioli passed on Curry, who was widely considered the best prospect in last year's draft, so it's hard to believe he'd "reach" on McClain a bit at 5.

The combo of Albert and Okung have the potential to be our new Shields and Roaf, except this time we'd be able to have them for much longer.

MDChiefs!
01-29-2010, 11:59 AM
For the consideration of our other needs, I do not think we need a RT. O'Callaghan did a good job there last season and we have Barry Richardson behind him getting better. Dont even get me started on picking an OT in the first....

MDChiefs!
01-29-2010, 12:01 PM
here is my argument against a LT in the first...

Okung is no better than Albert...Albert is learning to play LT with proper technique at a weight that allows him stay fast on his feet to keep up with the fastest pass rushers. Hailey made him lose all that weight so he could be our franchise LT and he really started to get it in the 2nd half of the season. Hes going to be a beast next season. Everyone makes it sound like drafting Okung and sliding down BA is an easy automatic fix and its guaranteed to work....Okung is going to go through the same rookie struggles that all non elite OTs go through. Just because he is the top rated OT in the draft doesnt make him elite. If he as elite as everyone here is making him out to be, there is no way he should make it to us with the teams picking ahead of us. Plus, there is no guarantee BA will work out at RG at the NFL level. (he played LG at VA). Too many uncertainties. Why not just draft Maurkice Pouncey with our 2nd and actually fill a position on the line that needs filling

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-29-2010, 12:34 PM
By the way, I meant Anthony Davis out of Rutgers, not Williams.

Dude, Branden Albert has NOT played like a franchise left tackle. He just hasn't. He was an outstanding guard, and would be again.

If you guys aren't ESPN insiders, you are missing out on an excellent series of articles called the draft lab. It is an impartial, quantified analysis of each player. It calculates percentage of Point of Attack matchups won and "splash plays" which are plays where individual effort positively affect the game.

rolando mcclain actually graded out much more poorly this year than you would anticipate. After the Kentucky game, he only won 6 point of attack battles (where he took on a blocker) in 5 contests, which comes to 13%. that means that only 13% of the time taking on a blocker he won the battle, over a 5 game spread.

He also talks about mcClain's poor tackling technique, where he tackles by pulling on the front of the runner instead of wrapping his arms and stopping the momentum.

Trent Williams graded out HORRIBLY.
Anthony Davis had a very sketchy grade as well.

A couple people who grade out excellently:

Suh (I am officially campaigning for his new name to be Ndamakong Duh, since it's a no-brainer to draft him).
Gerald mcCoy (a good point of note is how well he mixed up his pass rush moves).
Bruce Campbell, OT maryland.

here's the breakdown of Campbell:

"Campbell allowed three splash plays (defined as when a defender does something to negatively impact a passing play) in the five Terrapin games I broke down (at California, vs. Clemson, vs. Virginia, at Florida State and vs. Boston College).

As noted in the Trent Williams Draft Lab (read that here (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4662630)), the best professional pass rushers allow four or fewer splash plays in a season -- so this isn't a dominant number. Having said that, it does compare favorably to Williams' splash play totals (four in five games) and was much better than the number tallied (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4744487)
in Anthony Davis' Draft Lab (eight splash plays in five games).

Going on those numbers alone, I would have considered Campbell a solid professional left tackle prospect, but his stock shot up considerably when reviewing the run metric totals. Campbell was at the Point of Attack (POA) of a running play 38 times and won 35 of his blocks. That equates to a 92.1% POA win percentage, which, as detailed in the Peters analysis, would be an elite number in the NFL. In addition, Campbell received double team blocking help on only 11 of those plays, so his one-on-one POA win percentage was a superb 88.9%.

The scouting eye notes on Campbell's run blocking weren't quite as good as numbers, but they were still almost entirely positive. One bright spot was that he was used as a pulling tackle quite often, which is an underrated skill that many NFL teams would take advantage of. His biggest issue is that he didn't consistently finish his blocks. That would be a problem if it were due to a lack of effort, but in Campbell's case it was inconsistent technique, so it is something that should be able to be coached out of him.

From a pass blocking viewpoint, the major scouting eye concern is that Campbell received a lot of help from other blockers; this made me look back at the numbers, which showed Campbell received some kind of assistance from another blocker on 31 out of 120 dropback pass plays. That is a bit higher than one would expect from an elite pass blocker, but it is probably more due to Maryland's heavy use of zone blocking and facing two teams with 3-4 schemes than it is a sign that Campbell has blocking issues"

Add to this the fact that his name is Bruce Campbell, the greatest actor to ever chop off his own hand and replace it with a chainsaw, and I say go get him.

MDChiefs!
01-29-2010, 02:04 PM
You dont know he would be an outstanding G at the NFL level...one of the few knocks on him was ability to run block at this level, so you might not be right. And he is starting to play like a franchise LT now that he has learned to play with out the extra weight, and use proper technique instead, and he only finished his 2nd season. BA is already miles ahead of Okung. Like I said, just becaus he is the top rated OT, doesnt mean he is elite by any standards.

By the way, I meant Anthony Davis out of Rutgers, not Williams.

Dude, Branden Albert has NOT played like a franchise left tackle. He just hasn't. He was an outstanding guard, and would be again.

If you guys aren't ESPN insiders, you are missing out on an excellent series of articles called the draft lab. It is an impartial, quantified analysis of each player. It calculates percentage of Point of Attack matchups won and "splash plays" which are plays where individual effort positively affect the game.

rolando mcclain actually graded out much more poorly this year than you would anticipate. After the Kentucky game, he only won 6 point of attack battles (where he took on a blocker) in 5 contests, which comes to 13%. that means that only 13% of the time taking on a blocker he won the battle, over a 5 game spread.

He also talks about mcClain's poor tackling technique, where he tackles by pulling on the front of the runner instead of wrapping his arms and stopping the momentum.

Trent Williams graded out HORRIBLY.
Anthony Davis had a very sketchy grade as well.

A couple people who grade out excellently:

Suh (I am officially campaigning for his new name to be Ndamakong Duh, since it's a no-brainer to draft him).
Gerald mcCoy (a good point of note is how well he mixed up his pass rush moves).
Bruce Campbell, OT maryland.

here's the breakdown of Campbell:

"Campbell allowed three splash plays (defined as when a defender does something to negatively impact a passing play) in the five Terrapin games I broke down (at California, vs. Clemson, vs. Virginia, at Florida State and vs. Boston College).

As noted in the Trent Williams Draft Lab (read that here (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4662630)), the best professional pass rushers allow four or fewer splash plays in a season -- so this isn't a dominant number. Having said that, it does compare favorably to Williams' splash play totals (four in five games) and was much better than the number tallied (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4744487)
in Anthony Davis' Draft Lab (eight splash plays in five games).

Going on those numbers alone, I would have considered Campbell a solid professional left tackle prospect, but his stock shot up considerably when reviewing the run metric totals. Campbell was at the Point of Attack (POA) of a running play 38 times and won 35 of his blocks. That equates to a 92.1% POA win percentage, which, as detailed in the Peters analysis, would be an elite number in the NFL. In addition, Campbell received double team blocking help on only 11 of those plays, so his one-on-one POA win percentage was a superb 88.9%.

The scouting eye notes on Campbell's run blocking weren't quite as good as numbers, but they were still almost entirely positive. One bright spot was that he was used as a pulling tackle quite often, which is an underrated skill that many NFL teams would take advantage of. His biggest issue is that he didn't consistently finish his blocks. That would be a problem if it were due to a lack of effort, but in Campbell's case it was inconsistent technique, so it is something that should be able to be coached out of him.

From a pass blocking viewpoint, the major scouting eye concern is that Campbell received a lot of help from other blockers; this made me look back at the numbers, which showed Campbell received some kind of assistance from another blocker on 31 out of 120 dropback pass plays. That is a bit higher than one would expect from an elite pass blocker, but it is probably more due to Maryland's heavy use of zone blocking and facing two teams with 3-4 schemes than it is a sign that Campbell has blocking issues"

Add to this the fact that his name is Bruce Campbell, the greatest actor to ever chop off his own hand and replace it with a chainsaw, and I say go get him.

yashi
01-29-2010, 03:00 PM
You dont know he would be an outstanding G at the NFL level...one of the few knocks on him was ability to run block at this level, so you might not be right. And he is starting to play like a franchise LT now that he has learned to play with out the extra weight, and use proper technique instead, and he only finished his 2nd season. BA is already miles ahead of Okung. Like I said, just becaus he is the top rated OT, doesnt mean he is elite by any standards.

Well, Albert was one of the worst left tackles in the league last season statistically, even with his solid play in the second half.

ProFootballFocus.com - By Position (http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=T&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1)

Okung started 4 years at LT in the Big 12 and shut down the nation's sack leader. He gave up just 1 sack all of last season.

Albert was a "G/T" coming out, and we're trying to make him a franchise left tackle. Mel Kiper said he would be a Pro Bowl OG with the "potential to play tackle". Why not possibly have a pro bowler at both LT and RG?

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-29-2010, 03:03 PM

Branden Albert gave up 6 sacks this year dude. That doesn't say "franchise left tackle" to me.

BUT - let's say you're right and Albert is learning to play at his new weight. So you're saying his troubles have had nothing to do with the new position? It's because he lost weight?

Sorry, that doesn't fly. Great offensive tackles come into the pro game and play great. Albert has played well, but he has done absolutely nothing to warrant a protective status as our left tackle. You don't want the kind of line we had with Roaf and Shields? On that line we had John Tait and Willie Roaf, two FiRST ROUND picks at tackle. Great offensive lines don't just happen. You have to invest in them. Converting a college guard to a left tackle until he's adequate isn't the same as getting a franchise left tackle.

Okung is the best tackle in the draft. You will never, ever, ever, ever go wrong taking the best tackle in the draft. ALbert has also had injury problems, and his salary is well below market value for a good right tackle. moving him to the right side is just SMART. It may not be necessary, but its smart.

I won't be mad if we dont take a left tackle, but I don't see how on earth it possibly hurts us to go into next year with the best tackle and guard from this draft class. really, explain how that hurts us.

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-29-2010, 03:14 PM
But hey, that doesn't necessarily mean we HAVE to take okung, but arguing against it seems irrational to me.

however, between McClain and Okung, in my opinion Okung is the better player.

here's the problem - we need THREE new offensive linemen. C, RG, RT are all areas of weakness, like you said.

In the second round we could get a top guard like Iupati and still pick up a right tackle. I don't have a problem with Branden Albert staying on the left side, but far more needs to be done than just mildly addressing the offensive line.

Am I the only one who misses the massive holes our offensive line used to open? can you imagine what Jamaal would do to defenses if the first time he was touched it was by the secondary?

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-29-2010, 03:24 PM
A few years ago, the Jets drafted D'Brishshaw Ferguson in the first round, then used their NEXT pick on Nick Mangold. THEN they signed Alan Faneca.

Now they have the #1 rushing game in the league. it's not a coincidence. It takes MULTIPLE draft picks and significant investment to have an elite offensive line. I want it elite. not good, not very good, ELITE.

last year the Ravens took Michael Oher, despite already having Gaither in place. We absolutely have to draft and spend more to GET BETTER.

chief31
01-29-2010, 04:07 PM
So, I found this site that has a page full of links to mock drafts from all over, and the page lists each of the linked sites' top five picks.

And I figured it would be interesting to take a look at who was being mocked to us more than others and such.

And of 249 mocks for 2010, this is what the count looks like...

76 - R.Okung (OT)
47 - E.Berry (S)
23 - B.Campbell (OT)
12 - T.Williams (OT)
11 - G.McCoy (DT)
11 - R.McClain (ILB)
10 - A. Davis (OT)
10 - S.Bradford (QB)
7 - T.Mays (S)
7 - T.Cody (DT)
5 - C.Dunlap (DE)
4 - D.Bryant (WR)
3 - B.Spikes (ILB)
3 - J.Clausen (QB)
3 - J.Locker (QB)
2 - A.Benn (WR)
2 - N.Suh (DT)
2 - J.Snead (QB)
2 - B.Bulaga (OT)
1 - J.Haden (CB)
1 - S.Kindle (OLB)
1 - R.Mallett (QB)
1 - C.Brown (OT)
1 - T.Tebow (QB)
1 - G.Hardy (DE)
1 - S.Thompson (CB)
1 - D.Morgan (DE)
1 - J.Gresham (TE)

Top positions mocked to us...

OT - 124
S - 54
DT - 20
QB - 20

Now alot of these mocks are far outdated, and they are just the opinions of a bunch of yahoos anyway. I think some of these players have already comitted to returning to college.

But pretty interesting to see what people are thinking. :D

http://www.walterfootball.com/draftdata.php

MDChiefs!
01-29-2010, 04:07 PM
his first season in the NFL he played better because he was playing very much over weight. Albert only gave up 2 sacks his first season...his troubles had to do with him not playin overweight and learning to play with proper technique. And he played MUCH better the 2d half of the season.

Not only that, I understand the small contract, but he was drafted to play LT. If we move him he could become very unhappy with us, and that could cause all sorts of issues that we dont need right now.

The Ravens drafted Oher at the end of the first...its ok to draft a RT there

I am tired of the revolving doors we have on this team. BA is good and only getting better, and miles ahead of Okung at the pro level.

Branden Albert gave up 6 sacks this year dude. That doesn't say "franchise left tackle" to me.

BUT - let's say you're right and Albert is learning to play at his new weight. So you're saying his troubles have had nothing to do with the new position? It's because he lost weight?

Sorry, that doesn't fly. Great offensive tackles come into the pro game and play great. Albert has played well, but he has done absolutely nothing to warrant a protective status as our left tackle. You don't want the kind of line we had with Roaf and Shields? On that line we had John Tait and Willie Roaf, two FiRST ROUND picks at tackle. Great offensive lines don't just happen. You have to invest in them. Converting a college guard to a left tackle until he's adequate isn't the same as getting a franchise left tackle.

Okung is the best tackle in the draft. You will never, ever, ever, ever go wrong taking the best tackle in the draft. ALbert has also had injury problems, and his salary is well below market value for a good right tackle. moving him to the right side is just SMART. It may not be necessary, but its smart.

I won't be mad if we dont take a left tackle, but I don't see how on earth it possibly hurts us to go into next year with the best tackle and guard from this draft class. really, explain how that hurts us.

MDChiefs!
01-29-2010, 04:10 PM
With the ungoldy amont of holes we have on the rest of this team, I sure hope we wait on another RT. O'Callaghan did a good job last season there.

Dont think Iupatai will be there in the 2nd...his stock is shooting up reeal fast

But hey, that doesn't necessarily mean we HAVE to take okung, but arguing against it seems irrational to me.

here's the problem - we need THREE new offensive linemen. C, RG, RT are all areas of weakness, like you said.

In the second round we could get a top guard like Iupati and still pick up a right tackle. I don't have a problem with Branden Albert staying on the left side, but far more needs to be done than just mildly addressing the offensive line.

Am I the only one who misses the massive holes our offensive line used to open? can you imagine what Jamaal would do to defenses if the first time he was touched it was by the secondary?

chief31
01-29-2010, 04:11 PM

I am all about it. And rep!:yahoo:

MDChiefs!
01-29-2010, 04:23 PM
:sign0101: haha

SAPHOJUNKIE
01-29-2010, 06:49 PM
I think a lot of people feel like the best thing that could happen for us is trading down and pick up another pick in the first three rounds. Especially with the influx of underclassmen this year, the second round is a gold mine.

MDChiefs!
01-29-2010, 07:02 PM
That is one thing we can both agree on then :) I agree 100%

Fansincebirth
01-29-2010, 11:34 PM
this must be the kind of LT that you all think we should have
1st round #12 overall
A second-year player who started all 16 games at left tackle for the Broncos as a rookie in 2008 and earned second-team All-Pro honors (Associated Press) while finishing third in NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year voting.
Credited with allowing the fewest sacks (0.5) in the NFL among all 16-game starting tackles in 2008 according to Stats Inc. and was called for just three penalties while playing every offensive snap.
Became the first offensive lineman to be named Diet Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week in the five-year history of the award for his play vs. Kansas City

Fansincebirth
01-29-2010, 11:36 PM
just so you all dont have to look it up
That is Ryan Clady yes the same one that gave up 4 sacks in 2 games to Hali

matthewschiefs
01-30-2010, 12:47 AM
I think a lot of people feel like the best thing that could happen for us is trading down and pick up another pick in the first three rounds. Especially with the influx of underclassmen this year, the second round is a gold mine.

I think that as well. Theres pleanty of good solid prospects in this draft. The more picks for this team is better.

wichitaj
01-30-2010, 01:10 AM
Not only that, I understand the small contract, but he was drafted to play LT. If we move him he could become very unhappy with us, and that could cause all sorts of issues that we dont need right now.

The Ravens drafted Oher at the end of the first...its ok to draft a RT there

Alberts was a MID ROUNDER !!!!! and we dont' have a MID ROUND pick we have a TOP 5 pick, so you may want a MID ROUND tackle but we don't have a MID ROUND PICK so take Okung and like it. we MIGHT get a CENTER in the second round, and i'm sure you BI*TCH about that too. ARGHHHHH.....

Alberts - 15
Oher - 23 MIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD round BOTHHHHHHHHHHHH

MDChiefs!
01-30-2010, 01:28 AM
You dont have to draft a LT in the top 5 in order for them to be a success...what are you getting at? And please...take your time to get something intelligent and insightful together before you reply like most of us here are doing

Alberts was a MID ROUNDER !!!!! and we dont' have a MID ROUND pick we have a TOP 5 pick, so you may want a MID ROUND tackle but we don't have a MID ROUND PICK so take Okung and like it. we MIGHT get a CENTER in the second round, and i'm sure you BI*TCH about that too. ARGHHHHH.....

Alberts - 15

lucky_lefty
01-30-2010, 01:32 AM
As a FSU fan, I must tell you, STAY AWAY FROM CLEMSON players....none of their most recent guys have panned out. Spiller & possibly Ford will buck that trend. And I don't know if this is a real position of need (can't remember the guys name) but I haven't seen anyone of these boards bring up that G from Idaho. Guy is a friggin animal and projected late 1st- early/mid 2nd....Also@ QB, I like that kid from Oregon St...6'4, 6'5...about 230, extremely accurate..he's surely a 2nd but more than likely 3rd day pick (thanks Goodell)

MDChiefs!
01-30-2010, 01:37 AM
I would love Iupatai, but with how well he has been doing at the senior bow his stock has been soaring, and its only going to go up. I highly doubt he makes it out of the first...if he does fall to us in the 2nd, there should be no question that we take him.

DC_Chiefsfan
01-30-2010, 07:43 AM

Alberts - 15

Man, you really want a left tackle. But seriously, Albert looked amazing the last half of the season. Remember, he learned a new position and system last year, and a new system this year. The guy is smart and a good athlete and he will be a good LT. As far as Oline, all of our attention should be focused at guard or center, the real areas of need on the line. And I gotta tell ya, being upset that we don't have a top 5 LT because we have an 18th overall LT is insignificant. Especially, since Okung is not a top 5 overall guy. He's no Jake Long or Joe Thomas that's for sure.

yashi
01-30-2010, 09:50 AM

Alberts - 15

I hope you realize that Oher plays right tackle for the Ravens.

Edit: Actually after re-reading that, I don't even know what your point is. :D

DC_Chiefsfan
01-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Why did Oher even pop up in the conversation? The only point you made is that good lineman can be picked up later in the draft and that you don't need to take one with the#5 overall pick. Like Oher's counterpart at LT, Jared Gaither. He was drafted in the 5TH ROOOUUUUNNNDDDDDDDD and is a dominant LT. This draft is swarming with potentially good lineman and in no way is Okung a "sure thing" so why draft him at #5 when you will have several guys available with the same talent level in the 2nd round? Nevermind the fact that our Oline played out of their minds in the last four games and really dominated. Don't give ALL the credit to Charles, he's good, but if the line sucked he would never have racked up 1100 yds in 190 carries. Defense is in much greater need of playmakers and leaders than the offense. And more than likely we'll have 2 elite and unique defenders at the #5 spot.....although I hope we trade down for more picks.

DC_Chiefsfan
01-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Jason Peters LT - undrafted in 2004, plays for Eagles.
Jermon Bushrod LT - 4th round plays for Saints.
Flozelle Adams LT - 2nd round, plays for Cowboys.
Wayne Hunter LT - 3rd round, plays for Jets
Matt Light LT - 2nd round, plays for the Patriots.

These are just great LT I found quickly from high scoring/top running teams. Notice a trend?

wichitaj
01-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Why did Oher even pop up in the conversation? The only point you made is that good lineman can be picked up later in the draft and that you don't need to take one with the#5 overall pick. Like Oher's counterpart at LT, Jared Gaither. He was drafted in the 5TH ROOOUUUUNNNDDDDDDDD and is a dominant LT. This draft is swarming with potentially good lineman and in no way is Okung a "sure thing" so why draft him at #5 when you will have several guys available with the same talent level in the 2nd round? Nevermind the fact that our Oline played out of their minds in the last four games and really dominated. Don't give ALL the credit to Charles, he's good, but if the line sucked he would never have racked up 1100 yds in 190 carries. Defense is in much greater need of playmakers and leaders than the offense. And more than likely we'll have 2 elite and unique defenders at the #5 spot.....although I hope we trade down for more picks.

Im sure KC will just pick another defensive player and dump more and more talent into a bad system (i must have missed D Johnson and Dorsey's name on the Pro Bowl list). And our QB investment will end up like the second coming of David Carr. But hey Alberts had half a good year, I guess that's good enough for the Cheifs huh. I thought we wanted players that were good all year, but maybe i'm setting my goals too high.

wichitaj
01-30-2010, 02:22 PM
You dont have to draft a LT in the top 5 in order for them to be a success...what are you getting at? And please...take your time to get something intelligent and insightful together before you reply like most of us here are doing

I am being intelligent. If what i think your saying is correct then we shouldn't draft an OT in the top 5, we should draft something else. and that a OT can be drafted later and it should workout because you don't have to be a top 5 OT to be good. DUH, good players can be found all throughout the draft, i think everyone knows busts and pro bowlers have been drafted from round 1 to round 7, DUH. MY MOCK would have taking O Linemen with our first and second picks, then anything goes on the third.

Quit being an idiot and think about what your reading before you run your mouth to make stupid points. If i need to be told what to post i wouldn't ask you.

whatwasthat?
01-30-2010, 02:34 PM
youre freaking out man

wichitaj
01-30-2010, 02:56 PM
i'm all jacked up on mountain dewwwww

MDChiefs!
01-30-2010, 04:41 PM
I am not the only one that couldnt make sense of your post...and im having trouble with this one too. You came in here running your mouth saying I would cry like a ***** if we didnt draft Okung #5 or a C in round 2...did you even read my mock or anything else we were talking about in the thread? You came in here with something totally off topic and blasting me. When you have something intelligent to say about the topic or conversation were having, then feel free. Better yet...why not post us your mock draft?

I am being intelligent. If what i think your saying is correct then we shouldn't draft an OT in the top 5, we should draft something else. and that a OT can be drafted later and it should workout because you don't have to be a top 5 OT to be good. DUH, good players can be found all throughout the draft, i think everyone knows busts and pro bowlers have been drafted from round 1 to round 7, DUH. MY MOCK would have taking O Linemen with our first and second picks, then anything goes on the third.

Quit being an idiot and think about what your reading before you run your mouth to make stupid points. If i need to be told what to post i wouldn't ask you.

MDChiefs!
01-30-2010, 04:46 PM
We need to start this over...

tornadospotter
01-30-2010, 04:46 PM
i'm all jacked up on mountain dewwwww
What was in the Dew?:2bang9hj:

wichitaj
01-30-2010, 07:32 PM
We need to start this over...

:bananen_smilies046:cheers mate, sometimes the engine runs a little hot.

wichitaj
01-30-2010, 07:39 PM
What was in the Dew?:2bang9hj:

i get a little too passionate, i just don't want the chiefs ending up like the royals. the blackouts last year left me frustrated and mad.

How long is our payroll going to be dead last in the NFL and we not expect that to show on the field? We could solve a lot of problems if we got Grade A talent out of free agency and not wholly rely on the draft.

MDChiefs!
01-31-2010, 07:13 PM
bump...new one...been real bored lately I guess...

1. Dan Williams - NT
2a. Maurkice Pouncey - C/OG
2b. Ricky Sapp - OLB
3. Mardy Gilyard - WR
4. Pat Angerer - ILB
5a. Eric Olsen - OG/C
5b. Blair White - WR
5c. Barry Church - SS
6. Lonyae Miller - RB

Start Ricky Sapp at OLB opposite Tamba and move Vrabel inside. I think it would help hide alot of his declining skills. Play Vrabel/Johnson/Belcher/Angerer on the inside. I know Angerer is small but the kid can play football. After watching the Senior Bowl, A huge athletic freak at NT like Dan Williams doesnt seem like that much of a reach anymore...we NEED a NT for our D to work...and Williams looked GREAT.

jap1
02-01-2010, 12:50 AM
bump...new one...been real bored lately I guess...

1. Dan Williams - NT
2a. Maurkice Pouncey - C/OG
2b. Ricky Sapp - OLB
3. Mardy Gilyard - WR
4. Pat Angerer - ILB
5a. Eric Olsen - OG/C
5b. Blair White - WR
5c. Barry Church - SS
6. Lonyae Miller - RB

Start Ricky Sapp at OLB opposite Tamba and move Vrabel inside. I think it would help hide alot of his declining skills. Play Vrabel/Johnson/Belcher/Angerer on the inside. I know Angerer is small but the kid can play football. After watching the Senior Bowl, A huge athletic freak at NT like Dan Williams doesnt seem like that much of a reach anymore...we NEED a NT for our D to work...and Williams looked GREAT.

I would be pretty content with a draft like that. I wouldnt be surprised if we took Williams, especially after he dominated in the Senior Bowl. If he blows up the combine, I wouldnt be shocked to see Pioli take him earlier than he is expected to get drafted (similar to T. Jackson). I would love it if we could trade down to the late teens and then get him or McClain.

I like taking the C/G in the 2nd round, and Olsen in the 5th. Pouncey could start right away at G. Then Olsen could either win the C job from Niswanger or get mentored behind Waters for a season or two and then take his place at LG. We would have 3 long term pieces to a great OL.

javarick
02-01-2010, 04:14 AM
Last year, we could have had Aaron Curry over Jackson. I feel that there almost no chance that we would do that. Plus, with Weis around, I got a feeling we are drafting a lot of offense this year.

matthewschiefs
02-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Last year, we could have had Aaron Curry over Jackson. I feel that there almost no chance that we would do that. Plus, with Weis around, I got a feeling we are drafting a lot of offense this year.

I think the offense will be O line and a wr thats about it. I dont see a QB or HB. They just are not needs. We need O line a wr that can catch the ball and a pass rush on defense.

Fansincebirth
02-01-2010, 09:43 AM
I think that need can outweigh value in the first couple of picks. After that they are not going to be starters anyway and you are better off taking the highest valued player on your draftboard.

Ryfo18
02-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I think the offense will be O line and a wr thats about it. I dont see a QB or HB. They just are not needs. We need O line a wr that can catch the ball and a pass rush on defense.

HB is definitely a need, we have no depth there.

yashi
02-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Yeah, backup RB is definitely a need. Probably in round 4 or 5.