PDA

View Full Version : Trades for picks...

texaschief
01-31-2010, 10:58 PM
We've seen all over the internet that this draft will be one of the deepest EVER in the history of the NFL. The Chiefs will have a couple names that will be attractive to some other teams. Derrick Johnson, Glenn Dorsey, Brian Waters and Dwayne Bowe are all names that could attract attention.

*trade partner

I'd love to see DJ stay in KC, but I've read that there are teams who have him as their top FA target if he hits the market. If there's no CBA or if the Chiefs franchise him, they could bring back a nice package in a trade. I'd ask for at least a 3rd.

*traded to Miami Dolphins (in desperate need of ILB help in their 3-4 system.)

-Receive #73

Glenn Dorsey "doesn't fit the system" or so some people say... I don't believe that. He outperformed TJ all season long. However, he might be out best piece to trade. He has shown his ability to be a force on defense. Here's the question. What would you ask for in a trade for Albert Haynesworth in this 3rd year if you KNEW he was going to become a perennial pro bowler? I don't think you can ask for anything less than a first round pick AND a second round pick if you're negotiating with the Detroit Lions (where Gunther Cunningham is the DC). If it's any other team, you need to bring back comparable point value.

*traded to Detroit Lions (obvious match here but only if Suh is taken #1 overall... it'll be interesting to see what Pioli takes for him.)

-receives #2 and #34 overall

All-Pro Guards are ALWAYS in high demand. Will Shields is still an "old regime" guy. This trade would probably depend on the relationship Shields and Haley/Pioli currently have. He asked for a trade last season and it will be interesting to see what develops between the two sides during this offseason. If the Chiefs decide to trade the best player on their OL, they should be asking for at least a 2nd and a 4th.

*trades to... wait for it... Oakland Raiders

- receives #39 and #105 overall.

The last... Dwayne Bowe. All the potential in the world. Bowe hasn't seemed to take to Haley's coaching all that well. I think they'll have a tough time getting a first round pick for Bowe, but they need to get the point equivalent of a high 2nd rounder. So, for this post's sake, we'll say a high 2nd rounder.

*trades to Tampa Bay who will be losing Antonio Bryant

-receives #35 overall

#5 overall to the Buffalo Bills. The Bills will trade up for a shot at Okung. We get their 3rd round pick.

*trades to Buffalo

-receives #9 and #72

Let's say ALL those trades are made for the corresponding compensation. The Chiefs' draft looks like this:

1st
#2 (Lions for Dorsey)
#9 (Buffalo for #5)
2nd
#34 (Lions for Dorsey)
#35 (Tampa for Bowe)
#39 (Oakland for Waters)
#50 (Atlanta for Gonzales)
3rd
#72 (Buffalo for #5)
#73 (Miami for DJ)
4th
#105 (Oakland for Waters)
#107 (Miami for DJ)
5th
#139 (Miami for Thigpen)
#144 (Carolina for Tank Tyler)
6th
7th
none

16 picks...7 of the top 50 and 10 picks in the first 3 rounds. Pipe dream, absolutely. But if broken down individually, all the trades are absolutely possible. If we're looking to re-build this team, it starts in the draft. Almost 15% of the top 50 would go a LONG way to building a PERENNIAL Super Bowl contender.

What other trades could the Chiefs make that I'm over-looking?

texaschief
01-31-2010, 11:13 PM
All-Pro Guards are ALWAYS in high demand. Will Shields is still an "old regime" guy. This trade would probably depend on the relationship Shields and Haley/Pioli currently have. He asked for a trade last season and it will be interesting to see what develops between the two sides during this offseason. If the Chiefs decide to trade the best player on their OL, they should be asking for at least a 2nd and a 4th.

*trades to... wait for it... Oakland Raiders

- receives #39 and #105 overall.

wow... Will Shields?!! REALLY?!!! ugh... Insert Brian Waters...

honda522
01-31-2010, 11:22 PM
Ummmmmmm....IDK about trading a whole lot, I feel we could use DJ and Waters. Bowe...I would like to give him another year. Shape him up and then get a Number one Receiver.

Stumplifter
01-31-2010, 11:25 PM
Who knows..... maybe the Raiders aren't aware that Shields is retired .... 8-)

texaschief
01-31-2010, 11:42 PM
Who knows..... maybe the Raiders aren't aware that Shields is retired .... 8-)

Its funny cuz it's true

matthewschiefs
01-31-2010, 11:46 PM
I realy dont like tradeing dorsey at all I realy think that hes about to break out. Even if we could get the picks listed I realy wouldnt be thrilled with it.

texaschief
02-01-2010, 02:40 AM
I realy dont like tradeing dorsey at all I realy think that hes about to break out. Even if we could get the picks listed I realy wouldnt be thrilled with it.

Me either...

javarick
02-01-2010, 04:12 AM
We cannot keep trading players and getting picks. Maybe a free agent or two could help us.

pbatrucker
02-01-2010, 05:09 AM
One name not mentioned. I've been curious weather Chan will be interested in Brodie. He's desperate for a QB.

matthewschiefs
02-01-2010, 09:09 AM
One name not mentioned. I've been curious weather Chan will be interested in Brodie. He's desperate for a QB.

Brodie might get some intrest. I dont think he will bring a high pick but he could bring some intrest.

yashi
02-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Brodie might get some intrest. I dont think he will bring a high pick but he could bring some intrest.

I would keep Brodie since he doesn't have a lot of value. It's always good to have a backup QB who knows the system, and he has a cannon arm (though inaccurate).

Fansincebirth
02-01-2010, 09:21 AM
These are the players that the Chiefs need to build around. I was not overly excited about Waters last year but he is solid and is the top veteran on the line. Main trade I am looking for is trading from pick 5 to pick 9-14 and picking up a third round pick. Alot of talk about free agents. Will not be much out there. Who is going to be available that you think will make such a huge differance.

honda522
02-01-2010, 11:38 AM
We cannot keep trading players and getting picks. Maybe a free agent or two could help us.
This.

matthewschiefs
02-01-2010, 11:55 AM

Thats part of the reason that we are in the boat that we have been in. We traded some players for picks that were still good young talent. Jared allen to be exact. If we keep tradeing our good YOUNG talent we wont get anywere other then were we are.

SAPHOJUNKIE
02-01-2010, 12:28 PM
There is absolutely no way dorsey would fetch a first and second.

If there is no CBA, then DJ would fetch us a first round pick if someone else wanted him. Doubtful anyone would do that, but his two INTs for a TD might have earned some trade value.

i am, however, whole heartedly in favor of trading bowe.

MDChiefs!
02-01-2010, 02:17 PM
I am in favor of trading away anyone Haley and staff dont see in our future plans... If they have trade value, and they are not in our future plans, there is no reason to keep any of them...now is the year to do it..

matthewschiefs
02-01-2010, 03:28 PM
I am in favor of trading away anyone Haley and staff dont see in our future plans... If they have trade value, and they are not in our future plans, there is no reason to keep any of them...now is the year to do it..

If it is a player that truly does not fit what haley and the rest of the staff wants to do and theres not much of a chance that he can be changed over then yes trade him. It would do neither the team or player well to keep that player in KC. But if there is a chance that the player can step up and be a help to the team in any way then keep him. I have said before the draft to me is nothing more then 32 teams takeing gambles on players that they think will help there team. Tradeing a player that might be able to help you in any way for a draft pick can realy backfire.

Coach
02-01-2010, 05:48 PM
In Scott I Trust.

Fansincebirth
02-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Im with you Coach

Connie Jo
02-01-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm often lost with in depth Draft discussion, but I'm reading to learn more about the Draft other than how much fun attending Draft Day at Arrowhead can be, haha.

When I read the part relating to trading "Will Shields"...I thought to myself, "WHOA!...I'm lost beyond the Draft...did he come out of retirement and I missed it?"

Happy to read further that I'm not as lost as I feared, hahahaha.:D

texaschief
02-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Trading players for picks IS risky. But with so many people coming out and saying how deep this draft is going to be, the likely hood of busting BIG TIME is lessened. If we were trading all these guys LAST season for picks in 2009, then yeah... i could understand not wanting to do it. This draft is unusually deep because of the potential of there being no salary cap. That means this could possibly be the last season a rookie could get a HUGE contract without having to play a down in the NFL. That's the reason all this talent is flooding the market this April. If there were EVER a year to trade talent for picks, it would be this year. The Chiefs have a few chips worth trading. Waters, Bowe, DJ, and Dorsey all have big question marks next to their names when it comes to whether or not they are in the long-term futures with this team.

If this administration doesn't see a fit for those players on this team, then I'd be all for trading them. Assuming you could get what was suggested above, the only one I'd reconsider would be Waters. He could solve the issue at Center if we were able to bring in a franchise LT (rookie OR FA) and move Albert to LG.

Chief Tyler
02-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Trading players for picks IS risky. But with so many people coming out and saying how deep this draft is going to be, the likely hood of busting BIG TIME is lessened. If we were trading all these guys LAST season for picks in 2009, then yeah... i could understand not wanting to do it. This draft is unusually deep because of the potential of there being no salary cap. That means this could possibly be the last season a rookie could get a HUGE contract without having to play a down in the NFL. That's the reason all this talent is flooding the market this April. If there were EVER a year to trade talent for picks, it would be this year. The Chiefs have a few chips worth trading. Waters, Bowe, DJ, and Dorsey all have big question marks next to their names when it comes to whether or not they are in the long-term futures with this team.

If this administration doesn't see a fit for those players on this team, then I'd be all for trading them. Assuming you could get what was suggested above, the only one I'd reconsider would be Waters. He could solve the issue at Center if we were able to bring in a franchise LT (rookie OR FA) and move Albert to LG.

I'd think it be better to pursue proven players and stockpile picks for the next few years where the financial blow of a bust is lessened. But that's just me. We're going to come away with some decent talent just holding the 5 overall and having two second rounders.

Also, if this class is so deep, common sense would say that our current available players would be worth less. I just don't see why a team would want to give up multiple high round picks for a guy like Dorsey when they could potentially get Suh, or at worst, McCoy. True we would be bearing most of the cash investment, but I wouldn't mind paying a little more for somebody with the upside of Suh as opposed to giving up so much for Dorsey who hasn't given much reason validating his number 5 overall status.

halfast
02-02-2010, 01:31 AM
I think DJ if given the opportunity will start to shine bright also with Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey are young and in my opinion will for sure mature hopefully soon......as for bowe....I dunno the guy has great athletic ability but needs to stop dropping soo many passes! That would be the guy to trade.....sorry bowe!

chief31
02-02-2010, 05:42 AM
The only one that I find to be reasonably likely would be Dorsey. And that would be based on his being played out of position, and a non-stat positions on top of that.

I would much rather he embrace his new position, but doubt that that will happen.

I am fine with Bowe. He just needs someone that can work with him, to get him straightened out.

I think creating an extra hole on the o-line is a pretty bad idea. SO I think Waters stays.

And DJ? I would be kinda surprised if we were to put a franchise tag on a backup LB.

So he probably leaves as a free agent. My guess.

matthewschiefs
02-02-2010, 02:27 PM
I'd think it be better to pursue proven players and stockpile picks for the next few years where the financial blow of a bust is lessened..

This