PDA

View Full Version : Wilfork to be Franchised?

Ryfo18
02-11-2010, 10:36 AM
I've seen a lot of people talking on here about getting Wilfork this offseason. I've never read anything supporting that and so I never really thought it would happen. Anyways, this article is claiming that it looks like he will be off the table (unless the Pats trade him after they franchise him):

Patriots expected to franchise Wilfork - Sports Rumors - NFL Blog - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Patriots-expected-to-franchise-Wilfork?urn=nfl,218978)

yashi
02-11-2010, 10:43 AM
He threatened to hold out if they franchise him. Their tagging him doesn't really tell us anything. There would be no reason for them to let him walk free rather than tag him and trade him (or keep him for at least a year). It's very similar to the Cassel situation last year.

I think he ends up staying in New England ultimately, but if he was traded I wouldn't be surprised.

Hayvern
02-11-2010, 03:46 PM
He threatened to hold out if they franchise him. Their tagging him doesn't really tell us anything. There would be no reason for them to let him walk free rather than tag him and trade him (or keep him for at least a year). It's very similar to the Cassel situation last year.

I think he ends up staying in New England ultimately, but if he was traded I wouldn't be surprised.

Its the same tactic that was used with Allen. We franchised him, even after he clearly stated he would hold out of they did, ultimately it led to a trade.

AussieChiefsFan
02-11-2010, 05:03 PM
From the Article:

The Patriots supposedly offered him an extension in October that included a signing bonus that may have been as high as $23 million. And Wilfork said no.
Ouch

jacko58
02-11-2010, 06:26 PM
he dosen't want anything but a long term contract there gonna tag him and see what they can get for him they know if he goes hell end up in the red and gold

cjsfw2
02-11-2010, 07:34 PM
you guys think it'd be worth trading one of our second round picks again for him if the Pats would accept it, just like we did last year for Cassel?

DMN
02-11-2010, 07:42 PM
you guys think it'd be worth trading one of our second round picks again for him if the Pats would accept it, just like we did last year for Cassel?

For the best young NT in the league?!?! Absolutely!!!

SAPHOJUNKIE
02-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Oh heck yes it's worth a second rounder.

He's the best at his position, in the prime of his career, and we're going to use a second rounder on a nose tackle anyway. This takes the guesswork out of the equation.

AussieChiefsFan
02-11-2010, 08:10 PM
For the best young NT in the league?!?! Absolutely!!!
:bananen_smilies046:

Coach
02-11-2010, 09:53 PM
I would doubt that they would want a 2nd round pick for him.

AussieChiefsFan
02-11-2010, 10:01 PM
I would doubt that they would want a 2nd round pick for him.

Do you think they would take a 1st rounder?

BTW I'm NOT suggesting we trade our 1st round pick!

Coach
02-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Do you think they would take a 1st rounder?

BTW I'm NOT suggesting we trade our 1st round pick!

I'm sure it would take a 1st round pick. Not sure if the Patriots would want a #5 pick if there is no rookie salary cap tho. Lots of teams switching to 3-4 and looking for a NT like Wilfork. My guess is that he leaves, but not for KC.

AussieChiefsFan
02-12-2010, 12:54 AM
I'm sure it would take a 1st round pick. Not sure if the Patriots would want a #5 pick if there is no rookie salary cap tho. Lots of teams switching to 3-4 and looking for a NT like Wilfork. My guess is that he leaves, but not for KC.I think they'll want to keep him.

Coach
02-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Two of the most successful teams in the last decade, Pittsburgh and NE are notorious for not resigning big money guys once their "draft deal" expires. It would not surprise me at all to see NE franchise Wilfork and then deal him to another team. Just like they did Cassel.

AussieChiefsFan
02-12-2010, 01:11 AM
Two of the most successful teams in the last decade, Pittsburgh and NE are notorious for not resigning big money guys once their "draft deal" expires. It would not surprise me at all to see NE franchise Wilfork and then deal him to another team. Just like they did Cassel.

Hmm. I guess we'll just have to sit back and see what happens and where he ends up. I hope he ends up in KC

chief31
02-12-2010, 07:32 AM

I agree.

yashi
02-12-2010, 10:13 AM

Yep, though you have to believe Seymour was traded partly to free up money to resign Wilfork.

whatwasthat?
02-12-2010, 06:49 PM
trade NE our 1st round #5 for their #22 and give them our 2b pick for wilfork...then with the newly acquired 1st rounder, pick up sean weatherspoon...go with OL possibly pouncey with our other 2nd

=immediate defensive upgrades

whatwasthat?
02-12-2010, 07:00 PM
and then shipley in the 3rd and rolle in the 4th

captainamerica
02-14-2010, 06:56 PM
If the Pats franchise him, I bet we could get him after the draft for a 1st rounder in 2012. That's what Seymour went for.