PDA

View Full Version : Joey Porter released

SAPHOJUNKIE
02-12-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm just saying, he's a veteran 3-4 OLB with pass rushing ability.

He had 20 mil guaranteed, and he wants to start. Somehow, I don't think he would mesh too well with the coaches, though.

Sn@keIze
02-12-2010, 06:59 PM
If this is true then i really cant see myself being upset if he gets on this team.

Sn@keIze
02-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Salary-cap problem prevents Porter's release from Dolphins for now (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8165dba9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

not released yet

honda522
02-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Even if he was available, not sure I want that type of attitude around here.

Chieffaninfl
02-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Yeah he may be a good player, but such a problem child!!!

Ryfo18
02-12-2010, 08:56 PM
He's no better than Vrabel. I'd rather go after someone that can be developed from the draft.

Sn@keIze
02-12-2010, 10:02 PM

Thats exactly what this D needs.

To play D u have to have that attitude.

Joey does talk smack, but he backs it up.

This isnt afterschool football. This isnt the follow jesus example league.

This is NFL. It is a violent sport, no way around it. It's silly to be critical of an attitude like his when u expect one to knock the crap out of someone every play, which is what we want.

This personallity of Joeys is an identity we could use on this D. Which was 30th overall.

fairladyZ
02-12-2010, 10:47 PM
i would not object to having joey at all.

not to mention he is from KC. I think he might be back soon.

jacko58
02-13-2010, 01:00 AM
Thats exactly what this D needs.

To play D u have to have that attitude.

Joey does talk smack, but he backs it up.

This isnt afterschool football. This isnt the follow jesus example league.

This is NFL. It is a violent sport, no way around it. It's silly to be critical of an attitude like his when u expect one to knock the crap out of someone every play, which is what we want.

This personallity of Joeys is an identity we could use on this D. Which was 30th overall.

:sign0087: :chiefs: :sign0178: not agreeing is saying i'm glad jared is gone, he had such a bad attitude..... joey has game left and a good on field personality thats what we need more personality. brandon flowers has some but you have to have a linebacker with that kind of attitude who wants to be out there every play and if you get in his way hell nock the s#*t out of you

Connie Jo
02-13-2010, 02:02 AM
I agree we need bada** attitude's like that of Jared! I always felt part of Peterson's problem was he was too worried about having a 'nice guy' team image. Seems if a player had the slightest bit of attitude, CP found a way to oust them...like he did Jared.

I don't want to see KC have team troublemakers, violent criminals...but absolutely nothing wrong with a player who has a bada** attitude on the field. In fact, there's a lot right about it when it comes to winning!

Chiefster
02-13-2010, 02:08 AM

Yup, don't need another LJ.

Sn@keIze
02-13-2010, 05:03 AM
Yup, don't need another LJ.
LJ was stupid and did things off the field that didnt allow him to play on the field.

Just becuz Porter has a loud mouth (which yes, can be annoying) doesnt mean he isnt law abiding.

matthewschiefs
02-13-2010, 06:09 AM
hes one that I dont see being a good fit in KC. Its something I think they should LOOK at maybe i am wrong on that. you dont just ignore a player of his abilty but i dont see him being a good fit.

Chief Tyler
02-13-2010, 11:18 AM
LJ was stupid and did things off the field that didnt allow him to play on the field.

Just becuz Porter has a loud mouth (which yes, can be annoying) doesnt mean he isnt law abiding.

Agreed, I don't know much about Porter off the field, but I do know that he's married with kids. Even if he wanted to be the kind of off the field player that LJ is, he has huge incentives not to. I'd feel comfortable with giving Porter the chance to represent the Chiefs both on and off the field.

yashi
02-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Porter is back with the Dolphins for now because of some kind of CBA thing.

Connie Jo
02-13-2010, 02:50 PM
From Wiki:

Porter is married to Christy with two daughters, Jayla and Jasmine, and two sons, Joey, Jr. and Jacob. Their daughter Jasmine has autism. Christy opened a day center for special needs children and named it after their daughter Jasmine Nyree, located in downtown Bakersfield.

The family resides in Bakersfield, California. He is son of Debra Porter; he has one brother and two sisters. He has participated in the Dolphins annual charity golf tournament, which benefits the Miami Dolphins Foundation.

Having always played offense through his first two years in college, Joey was a fan of the Chicago Bears growing up, especially Hall of Fame member Walter Payton. Due to growing up in California, he was also a fan of linebacker Junior Seau (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Seau). During his tenure in Pittsburgh, he hoped to see some action on the other side of the ball: "I thought I could help in goal-line situations," Joey says. "I petitioned Coach (Bill Cowher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cowher)), but he didn't see it that way."

jacko58
02-13-2010, 03:32 PM
joey is not lj hes never been suspended for racist slurs and to spit on a girl at a night club, just because i guys got a mouth dosen't make him lj. Hes got passion wouldn't hurt anything to have him show up to do a physical

Chiefster
02-14-2010, 01:55 AM

Good point.

I just don't want a cancer in the locker room.

MDChiefs!
02-16-2010, 12:49 AM
I like Porter. We could use someone like that to fire this defense up. He splayed that position his whole career and can also play the run pretty well. I would much rather snag Porter over an unproven over priced Peppers...if Porter would even want to come to cold KC. I have a feeling most of our off season acquisitions will come via trades

endzonewillie
02-20-2010, 02:40 AM
I read a lot of Chiefs material especially stuff that is regards to picking up veteran players and the one thing I notice is Chiefs fans are not to fond of picking up guys with a attitude. Well sometimes an attitude is a good thing, not in the case of LJ or TO, guys with selfish attitudes are not good but, Joey Porter wants to do one thing more than achieve stats on his career and that is win games as well as Championships. He helped the Steelers win one and improved The Dolphins D instantly. I would love to have a guy like Porter playing LB for our D. He would bring a bit of toughness with him we need right now.

KottkeKU
02-21-2010, 12:43 AM
attitude is very different than being a team cancer. You dont hear anyone complaining about Ray Lewis and his attitude do you? and he was on trial for murder.

Porter is younger, more athletic, and more aggressive than Vrabel. We could seriously use him to help rush passer for anoher 3, maybe 4 years. I would LOVE to have Joey Porter on my fave team.

Joey if your reading this, come to KC and i will personally buy you a beer. or two maybe.

Chief Tyler
02-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Yep, I hope he ends up in the red and yellow. Peppers might be the defensive prize this year, but I see Porter as a better fit. He'd be cheaper, he's a KC native, he's got a Pioli connection via Parcells, and he'd bring some desperately needed attitude to the defense.

If we go after a big name defensive free agent, I hope it's Dansby.

If our defense looked something like:
Carr, Draft P.(Berry, Allen, Stuckey), Brown, Flowers
Hali, DJ, Dansby, Porter
Jackson, Draft P. (Williams, Cody), Dorsey

I'd be pretty stoked. Dansby seems like a huge long shot though, so if not him, definately McClain. If Pollard was still around I'd be really excited.

jacko58
02-22-2010, 02:59 AM
Yep, I hope he ends up in the red and yellow. Peppers might be the defensive prize this year, but I see Porter as a better fit. He'd be cheaper, he's a KC native, he's got a Pioli connection via Parcells, and he'd bring some desperately needed attitude to the defense.

Hali, DJ, Dansby, Porter

I'd be pretty stoked. Dansby seems like a huge long shot though, so if not him, definately McClain. If Pollard was still around I'd be really excited.
brown will not be around he has nothing left in the tank besides catching couple tiped passes. gotta look at it as page will be a starter id love to have porter and dansby will see when it all begins

yashi
02-22-2010, 09:18 AM

Hali, DJ, Dansby, Porter

I like Dansby too but he's going to command some SERIOUS money. Some team is going to drastically overpay a la Bart Scott last year.

SAPHOJUNKIE
02-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Dansby will be overpaid for sure, but I am not altogether against overpaying for a middle linebacker.

My reasoning is this - when you overpay for a wide receiver or a cornerback, the skill set can diminish at such a rapid pace that you essentially have dead money even with the player on the field.

At middle linebacker, a drop in speed doesn't equal the same production loss as it does at other skill positions. It's kind of like buying a full-sized pickup vs an Italian sports car.

The pick-up will last you for fifteen years. you can change the transmission, have extensive body damage, but it will still haul your payload. Once your porsche loses that finely-tuned suspension system, it is no longer a Porche.

matthewschiefs
02-22-2010, 02:23 PM
I would like either peppers or porter. They both could come in help young players and help with the pass rush. That would make the whole defense better by itself. If we get a passrush our secoundary wont look so bad.

Chief Tyler
02-22-2010, 03:40 PM
I like Dansby too but he's going to command some SERIOUS money. Some team is going to drastically overpay a la Bart Scott last year.

Yep, thats what I was getting at, but due to the Arizona connection, anything could happen.

Boobcrack
02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm not sure I want another old lb. We went out last season and grabbed an old lb(Z.Thomas) that didn't do anything for our team.

matthewschiefs
02-22-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm not sure I want another old lb. We went out last season and grabbed an old lb(Z.Thomas) that didn't do anything for our team.

I think that Peppers and Porter have more left in the tank they Thomas did last year. I think if i recall right Thomas was also comeing off a injury I think this would be a better signing then Thomas was a year ago.

chief31
02-23-2010, 02:38 AM
I would like either peppers or porter. They both could come in help young players and help with the pass rush. That would make the whole defense better by itself. If we get a passrush our secoundary wont look so bad.

At the start of the next NFL season Joey Porter will be 33 years old.

Julius Peppers will be 30.

Just for the sake of comparison, Mike Vrabel was 34 to start the '09 season.

How many years would we expect to get from Porter, starting at 33?

Seems like he would just be an aging vet, brought in the plug a leak for a season, two at the most. Likely, with diminishing returns.

Peppers may be "on the back nine". But I would venture to expect to get three years from him. That's long enough to get our team to what our staff expects them to be.

Then, Peppers would be turning 33. The same age as Porter is, right now.

If we are looking for a part of our champinoship team a couple seasons from now, then I think the guy who is more likely to still be playing then would be the better choice.

But, if we are looking to stop the bleeding at one position until we do get our guy, then Porter would be the better choice.

For me, if we can get Peppers, that fills (Baring unforseen circumstances) the position, as opposed to holding over the hole at that position.

Not to mention that Peppers has been a far superior player than Porter, career-wise.

pbatrucker
02-23-2010, 05:51 AM
Peppers has stated he wants to play for a contender and Porters wants to play on the west coast close to his family. I don't exspect either one in Red and Gold.